Rio Hondo Event Center Reviews

14 | Downey, CA

14 Reviews for Rio Hondo Event Center

Kimberly · Married on 08/30/2013

I have had two of my daughters weddings at this venue now and I couldn't be more pleased with the venue and Mark Shelton and his staff. They are very professional and helpful in making your visions come to life, in large part due to Marks long time experience. Each wedding surpassed what I had dreamed it would be. I highly recommend this venue and the food they serve is outstanding. We had our rehearsal dinner as well as our ceremony and reception there and all guests raved about the beautiful venue and the delicious food.

Sent on 09/01/2013

Location is beautiful and everyone is very helpful.

Sent on 02/27/2014

Christina · Married on 06/30/2013

We are so happy that we found this place to have my wedding. Everything was perfect! We really liked Mark. He was very inviting, accommodating and he always acted in a professional manner. We met and talked about the venue, the cost, and the food. He also gave us a nice tour of the place. What sold me was the fact that Mark was so nice and easy going, and he was willing to work with our budget. Their prices are very reasonable and the venue is absolutely beautiful. The outside area where our ceremony was held had an amazing view of the golf course. The inside ballroom was beautiful and with my decorations, it was stunning! Another great thing about this place is that Mark offers other items for your wedding. You can get linens, napkins, and chiavari chairs from him at an excellent price. The way he designed my napkins was so beautiful! I loved it! Also, the food is excellent. I loved the appetizers, the salad, and the main course! It all was delicious. I would recommend any and everyone to use this place because it is beautiful and the staff is awesome!

Sent on 07/17/2013

Nelly · Married on 08/15/2010

I really appreciate the staff at Rio HOndo for all that they did to make our wedding such a beautifully put together event. Mark Shelton, especially, made himself readily available to address any concerns that we had. He was also incredibley accomodating and reassuring throughout the entire process. He and Mark Shelton Sr. worked very hard behind he scenes on the day wedding to make sure things ran smoothly and to make sure my husband and I had everything we needed. My guests were enthralled and continue to remark on the beauty of the facility and the deliciousness of the food. Rio HOndo truly exceded my expectations in every way.

THank you Rio HOndo, for helping to make our wedding such a wonderfully remembered night!

Sent on 08/30/2010

Bertha · Married on 09/06/2008

The place is beautiful and the service was fantastic. Mark made sure that I was happy with all of the services including the fact that he had to special order the color of my linen and napkins. Everything looked great and all I got were compliments for the fantastic patio area that is included for the cocktail hour.

Sent on 01/07/2009
  • Y

Yamanda · Married on 05/10/2013

Rio Hondo Event Center is truly a hidden gem in Downey. We really wanted an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception so the beautiful grounds of this venue was perfect. Mark was very easygoing and pleasant to work with. He was helpful throughout the process. He was really great about giving advice about reducing stress related to wedding planning. He provided a list of a great group of vendors that he'd work with in the past, which was also very helpful. The tasting was fun. Great packages, great prices, particularly since we chose to do a friday wedding.

Sent on 06/12/2013

Khine · Married on 11/25/2012

We had a ceremony and reception at Rio Hondo on 2012 Nov. We had a ceremony at the patio overlooking the golf course and the view was beautiful. We looked at one more golf course which was in our budget and found this ceremony area to be more private than the other place. And the ballroom at Rio Hondo is beautiful and new. The other one we looked at has a very beautiful ceremony location (not a very nice ballroom but higher price) but it was just beside the tee boxes. So you can hear people shouting while they were playing golf (at the other golf course). The owner (Mark) from Rio Hondo gave us a good deal. He seemed to be take things easy in the beginning. So I was kind of worried as a bride. But once the wedding was near and when we did our final walk through, he nailed down every items that we want. He looked for the linens that match our wedding color (at least the nearest color). He was there through out the wedding and made sure everything went according to the timing. All the things that we told him we wanted were there at the wedding. Nothing was missing. He was pleasant to work with, cut to the point, don't say extra sugar coated words and get the job done. We thought of hiring wedding coordinator but he reassured us that "we don't need one." We had lunch buffet and food were good and plenty. The bar was set up outdoor and cocktail reception was good also. Basically, we glad that we chose this place and it was really valued for money. We had a tight budget and it provided us a beautiful wedding with nice decor, good food and good ambiance.

Sent on 02/10/2013
  • Donna

Donna · Married on 10/08/2011

My husband and I are so glad we found Rio Hondo before we put a deposit on any other venue! Everything is kept clean! When you're inside the ballroom, all of the guests has a beautiful view of the sunset and the golf course with all of its hills and trees. The balcony is perfect for cocktail hour.

Marc Shelton is extremely friendly and helpful. He's completely laid back that it rubbed off on me! He'll work with you and your budget and make your wedding hassle-free!

His daughter, Brandi, also offers a candy bar buffet, so if you want one for your wedding, you can just ask her!

Once again, I definitely recommend this venue to anyone!

Sent on 10/27/2011
  • F

Frances · Married on 06/12/2010

This venue was a wonderful location for our rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception. The food is spectacular and tastes great every time. Their expertise is service and they delivered on our wedding day. Our family and friends were elated with the venue, food and service. We would recommend this location as it is Downey's gem. Mark made recommendations but also honored decisions. He'll provide the linen you need and make sure your event is special. There was a spacious bridal room and we did not have to share the reception area. It's the kind of place where you feel at home while surrounded with elegance. Mark communicates well via email.

Sent on 07/11/2010

Sandy · Married on 08/17/2013

3.5

Venue lives up to their name. From our initial visit to our Wedding Day. Very personable.. My husband and I were very HAPPY.Food was excellent .

Sent on 09/10/2013

Diane · Married on 11/21/2015

3.5

Mark's team is very nice. And you can tell they work well together. They dress the place really well. You just really need to be in close contact with Mark to be assured everything comes out well on your event day. I would definitely use Rio Hondo again.

Sent on 12/15/2015

joanne · Married on 01/21/2012

3.5

Overall, Mark from Rio Hondo Event Center was very helpful during the wedding planning process.

Sent on 02/23/2012

Christell · Married on 04/29/2011

My husband and I chose RHEC as it was close to our ceremony location, the prices were reasonable (considering numerous items such as linens, votive candles, flatware, etc. are included in the pricing), and the venue was very nice. Oh, the pricing for the chivari chairs was fairly low compared to other places ($6 ea). The views of the golf course and waterfall from the terrace are pretty awesome.

Although our wedding was spectacular, and we received many compliments on the venue and decor...there are a few things that were a challenge: 1)Mark Sr. was not always easy to get a hold of. He had mentioned that he could respond to emails quickly as he received email alerts via his phone. Surprisingly enough, it sometimes took him over a week to reply even if I sent a follow up email. In addition, he would sometimes meet with us while coordinating an event or meeting with other customers so keep that in mind when attempting to schedule a meeting. 2) During our food tasting we mentioned that the protein dishes (we went with the classic buffet) were rather dry. He said that it wouldn't be the case during our event, and was very surprised that we had a negative comment regarding the food (it tasted good, it was just too dry). On our wedding day, some of the hot dishes were a bit cold and the protein dishes were still dry.

Sent on 05/10/2011

Nicole · event on 07/04/2014

2.8
      2.0
      3.0

We recently had our parents 50th Anniversary at Rio Hondo Event Center and Mark Sr promised us the world. We did the food tasting and it was very good. However, the day of the event there were quite a few things that didn't happen that were in our contract. We ordered mashed potatoes and had red roasted potatoes. In addition to the cake we brought in, Mark said he would set out a assortment of desserts on the side and this wasn't done. There weren't candles on the table and the most disappointing is the drapery that was suppose to go around the dance floor. We were going for a elegant look and he promised us this and it didn't happen. All these things were in our contract and he failed to see them through. Service wasn't top notch. One gentleman helped us all night and he was great. Other than that, not one person went around and offered coffee to our guest. This is a 50th Anniversary - some of our guest were older. My family was very disappointed. After the celebration, my brother stopped in to see Mark and he wasn't there. My brother emailed Mark and never received a reply. What happened to customer service?

On the plus side, the view of the golf course is beautiful and the food was good.

If you decide to book with Rio Hondo, please stay on top of Mark to make sure you receive what's promised.

Sent on 07/23/2014