Rev. Charlie Shook Reviews

Rev. Charlie Shook View more information

4.7

Kristyn Married on 06/20/2018
    I honestly could not have asked for someone better :) Charlie was the best!
    Laurel Married on 05/03/2013
    Rev. Charlie was the most perfect choice for our wedding day. Every person that was there loved the ceremoney and gave nothing but praise to us on our choice of the Reverend. He made my Husband who was very nervous, relaxed and got us thru the ceremoney without a flaw. His choice of words were perfect for us. His wife set up the sand ceremoney for us and it was so beautiful. We cant thank them enough. I still cry every time I watch the video. I highly recommend the Reverend for your choice of an Offiant.
    Kristen Married on 03/16/2013
    Reverend Shook was a professional and was a great officiant for us. He has a great voice, a very calming presence about him, and I recommend him highly to run your ceremony! We loved him!!!
    Bethanie Married on 11/10/2012
    Professional, organized, and friendly. Charlie is a wonderful officiant, guiding us through the ceremony both in our rehearsal and on the day of.
    Aimee Married on 11/08/2012
    The first thing that drew me to Rev. Charlie was his voice, he has a great voice! The second was his personality. What a wonderful, genuine person. His wife Lois will be there to answer questions before the big day. The day before, we met at their home to go through the Ceremony and just get to know each other a little bit. He allowed us to choose our Ceremony. You can be as creative as you wish, he is very accommodating. We were so happy with everything...couldn't have asked for more!
    Debby Married on 08/31/2012
    Rev Charlie is a lovely man and did our ceremony just as we asked .
    Ashley Married on 03/31/2012
    Rev. Charlie was wonderful! He met with us prior to the wedding to go over the ceremony. We did a rehearsal as well. He is a lovely man and we were thrilled to have him do the ceremony. He also took care of the wedding license. He mailed it in for us so we went off on our honeymoon with no worries.
  • Mariah
    Mariah Married on 01/21/2012
    We were so pleased that we chose Rev. Shook to marry us. We were traveling from out of town, so it's always a little stressful trying to make arragements with people you've never met. Rev. Shook and his wife, Lois made the process simple and easy. He led us through our vows seemlessly and made the whole thing very special. It was perfect! :) We would choose Rev. Shook a thousand times over!
  • X
    Christina Married on 11/12/2011
    Reverend Charlie was great to work with. He made our wedding ceremony perfect.
    Jessica Married on 10/30/2010
    Charlie was the most calming person on our wedding day! His voice is perfect for being an officiant! He has different template wedding ceremonies to choose from and he also has the supplies to provide you with a sand ceremony with different colors and vases to choose from.
    We chose the contemporary wedding ceremony and it was such a special ceremony. The words were just perfect! There wasn't a dry eye in the whole place!
    We got married on St. Pete beach and even though he lives in Anna Maria, he had no problems traveling to come to you.
    Heather Married on 04/24/2010
    Rev. Charles Shook did a wonderful job with our ceremony. We had a big task with a wedding party of over 30 and he was wonderful to work with. He met with us a few times before hand and was also flexible with doing the ceremony with my husband's uncle who is a judge. He also attended our rehearsal dinner and we have nothing but positive reviews of our experience with rev. Charlie. Lois (his wife) was also very helpful with the sand ceremony. Rev. Charlie helped us find a back up location in case of rain and went through the ceremony step by step with us. We made several modifications and he was fine with all of them. These are good people.
    Chris Married on 06/18/2008
    Reverend Charlie, along with his wonderful wife Lois, are truly a godsend. When we decided to marry on the Gulf of Mexico in Florida, and not in a church, I was grappling with spiritual issues, as I have been relatively religiousl throughout my life. I am a bigger believer that marriage is done before God, and not the dreaded "Legal system". So, when looking for an Officiant, I wanted to ensure that the individual was a Minister, and not a clerk, or Justice of the Peace. I am not meaning to be derrogatory of these individuals' services, as I know of many that are committed to their work, and do a wonderful job. But for us, it just would not have felt right. With Reverend Charlie, as was our choice in the type of ceremony, we know that we were married before God.
    Reverend Charlie certainly does not disappoint. He, and Lois, truly care about making your day special. Easy to work with, and the most powerful calming voice you can imagine. The Sand Ceremony is a must, and it is displayed at our home and in view every day and a beautiful symbol of our bond.
    We were truly blessed that every vendor we chose, from our condo, photographer, musician, location, and officiant were all the perfect choice. I hope everyone is so fortunate. If you have any doubts or concerns, then read my reviews and use all of them!!!
    Kaleigh Married on 05/04/2008
    Rev. Charlie was helpful from the first time I called him to make arrangements for our wedding! He & his wife Lois are very friendly and we also purchased our Sand Ceremony kit from Lois (Charlie's wife) and it was at a very low coast compared to stores, online and catalogues. Rev. Charlie is perfect for a beach wedding Officiate! His phone number is: 941-778-3399
    Cassie-Ann Married on 11/10/2010
    Rev, Shook carried out our wedding at The Sandbar Anna-Maria Island. Myself and my husband met with Rev Shook at his home for a pre-wedding discussion. I was slightly concerned as my Husband is Catholic and I am Agnostic so wondered how this was going to go!. However rev.Shook put us both at ease and helped us by supplying several choices for the service which meant we could find one we both felt comfortable with. He is very well established within the 'wedding community' on the Island and came highly recommended and it was a delight to be married by him. Although completely ''off the subject here'' all my guests commented on what an amazing voice he had., they listened to his everyword which is what you want, for us it meant we felt relaxed and at ease during the actual ceromony infact we have a great photo of the 3 of us laughing together during the ring exchange! He was great and perfect for the job.
    Tina Married on 07/17/2010
    Rev. Charlie Shook was great. He is really nice and affordable. Every other Officiant we looked for wanted too much. We wanted a simple and quick ceremony and that's what we got. He lets you write your own vows or helps you pick them. Unfortunately I didn't see him after the ceremony. He left right after and I didn't get to thank him. Overall though, he did a good job.
  • SunSand
    Sandra Married on 02/27/2010
    I have waited over 2 weeks to do this review. I wanted to get over the feeling of being upset (really upset) and be in a more objective kind of mindset, just to be fair to all parties involved. Well, I am still upset and have nightmares about it.
    I hired Reverend Shook after he was referred to us by our wedding planner. We met with him and he was great in person. I felt comfortable with him inmediately. This meeting took place 8 months before the wedding. Unfortunately for us, from here on things went wrong.
    Originally, I needed an officiant that was bilingual (English/Spanish). I had a real hard time finding one in the Sarasota/Tampa/Bradenton/Anna Maria area. Because Reverend Shook didn't speak Spanish I was sold on the idea of hiring a translator as well to repeat what he said during the ceremony. They knew of someone that could do it. I agreed.
    About a month before the wedding, I started to communicate via e-mail with the Reverend's wife who answers all e-mails on his behalf. I provided to her the reading for the dove release and also provided the spanish version I translated. She thank me for sending it and told me, anything you can do as far as translation is appreciated. This was a red flag. I told her, it was really important to me that my parents and family that are traveling from abroad understand her and what is being said by the Reverend. I asked: "does this mean I have to translate everything for her?". What exactly is included in her fee? She answered..noooo she is great, she has two degrees. Mind you, the only thing I knew at this point that the wedding planner told me was that she was a housekeeper. Concerned, I called my wedding planner inmmediately and told her what happened. I told her that I didn't want to get to the preliminary meeting the day before and find out that I have to translate the whole ceremony for her. Much less do it the night before when my rehearsal was scheduled. She said she would talk to the Reverend's wife. She did. She was also assured and reassured that the translator was capable and skilled. She was told that she did translations before for a living and that the only reason she was a housekeeper now was because she made more money this way.. I felt better.
    My wedding planner first said it would be better if you talk to the translator by phone so you are on the same page. I agreed. She tried to have her call me. Next thing I know, I was told that it wasn't necessary that in the preliminary (once again, the day before the wedding) she would have everything ready..
    Come the time for the preliminary I finally meet the translator. She came to the meeting totally unprepared, shuffling handwritten papers of her rendition of the ceremony. She was very nervous and non confident. My fiance and I couldn't believe our eyes and were in total shock. She was not even close to being fluent in Spanish. She asked me to review her notes to make sure they made sense. Here I am sitting with my rehearsal set to start in about one hour asked to review her handwritten notes with bad handwritting too. I told her, listen I don't have time for this after quickly browsing through her bad translation. I gotta meet my wedding planner, have a rehearsal and then go to a rehearsal dinner. Let me remind you, I was told everything would be taken care of when you meet with the Reverend.
    Her accent in spanish was soo strong too. My worst nightmare had come true. I told her I would go ahead and translate the ceremony THAT NIGHT and e-mail it to her. At this point, I figured having something is better than nothing at all. She said ok. We exchanged e-mails. I told her several times it would be late that night when you get it, but you will have it by tomorrow morning for sure. She was ok with that. Supposedly the Reverend and her were meeting in the morning to practice too.
    I went and had my rehearsal dinner and came back to translate. It wasn't until 3 a.m. when I finally finished (with the help of my mom) and e-mailed it to her. In the morning I sent her another email to make sure she got it. I got no response to either. I called my wedding planner inmediately for her to please make sure she got it. Never heard back from anybody so I assumed she had taken care of it or it had already been taken care of it. I walk down the aisle to the ceremony and guess what? she had her handwritten papers with her!!! can you imagine me standing in front of my soon to be husband and in front of my guests trying not to look dissapointed! I am sorry but NO bride should be put through this on their wedding day or ever! my MOH approached me after the ceremony and said: were you upset at that lady.. i said of course i was..she then proceeded to tell me that the translator had approached her husband (yes my MOH's husband) for last minute help! yes, one of my guests!!! right before the ceremony..
    Needless to say this person ruined our ceremony for us. She confused the Reverend too as he skipped a whole paragraph where I was supposed to say I do!
    In the pictures I have seen so far, you can see the Reverend and the translator talking in the background like trying to figure out what's next.
    This was a bad idea altogether. I can't get my ceremony back now. It is too late.
    Also, the Reverend (I have never seen heard of this before) doesn't attend the rehearsal. Another thing that went wrong because my parents who walked me down the aisle didn't know when to sit. The planner had told us they should hold my hand and give it to the Reverend and when they tried to do this the Reverend looked at them funny and kept going. All this could have been avoided should he had gone to the rehearsal. Also he held the rings the whole time instead of giving them to the Best Man. Again, he should have gone to the rehearsal.
    At the end of the ceremony he left without even congratulating us. Seriously? this is supposed to be the most important person in your wedding day, the person that marries you.. right? He left so fast that my MOH told me that he had them sign the license standing, not even on a table as support. So their signatures look really bad on the license.
    I tried contacting the translator after the wedding by e-mail. I asked her why she didn't used my translation? the one I stayed up late for before my wedding day loosing precious sleep!! because you know you are supposed to be rested and relaxed on your big day. She said she never got it. Then responds to the other e-mail I had sent asking if she got it.. she said yes I got it, a little too late!!! no kidding.. Honestly I think she never checked her e-mail like she was supposed to. Had she read my translation at the ceremony I would have been ok with the fact that her spanish was so broken and her strong accent.
    All I gotta say is..Thanks for nothing! I paid you for nothing, for mocking my wedding, because you sounded terrible and did an awful mediocre job.
    As far as the Reverend, I don't recommend someone that doesn't take pride in the whole process because I do feel he was responsible for the translator's quality of work as well as his. He was supposed to be orchestrated with her and looked prepared and rehearsed. I also don't recommend someone that doesn't approach the couple after the wedding to congratulate them. It feels like all they wanted was their money period. Stupid me, even gave both of them a generous tip the day before. I feel I was lied to. And I feel my wedding planner was lied to as well. She said she called the Reverend the morning of to see if the translator got my translation (the proper one) and he never called her back. So she also assumed it was taken care of.
    I just pray that I get over this bad taste in my mouth and I can move on with peace. But then again, it has been recorded in video and in my mind forever and my ceremony is something I can't take back. Unfortunately.