Renaissance Chef Catering Company Reviews

Renaissance Chef Catering Company 3
Renaissance Chef Catering Company 4
Renaissance Chef Catering Company 5

Roger · Married on 05/07/2017

This was our second time hiring Renaissance within one year. So that provides some insight into our confidence with this caterer. This time we threw Jake the proprietor a curve ball with a new Mediterranean-style menu that had never before been requested of him. He exceeded our expectations, first with a tasting event, and then with the complete buffet-style meal. The guests loved the diverse, tasty, and healthy meal! Steve's attractive presentation enhanced the dining experience. Their staff was so friendly and helpful, they all felt like family by the end of the evening. And the price/value equation made it an affordable option for us. In summary, we heartily recommend Renaissance Chef!

Sent on 05/10/2017

Dawn · Married on 04/29/2017

In considering catering options for our wedding, my husband and I were a little apprehensive. That was short-lived, however, until we met Jake and Stephen with Renaissance Chef! Our initial contact was through e-mail, and Jake responded quickly, sending several documents with an expansive array of food, beverage, and service choices. When we saw the diverse menu selections, the flexible service options, and the wide range of pricing availability, we felt confident that we'd be able to customize exactly what we were hoping for our reception. But then, once we made our initial selections, scheduled our tasting, and met Jake and Stephen in person (and tasted the food), we knew we'd found out caterer! They managed to turn our tasting into a fun little "date" with a FULL MEAL of all of the really delicious things we'd selected from the menus provided. And what we didn't eat during the tasting, they packaged up for us to take along home - so we were able to share it with our family as well!! But that was only the beginning. Throughout our planning, Jake answered all of our questions and was entirely flexible as changes came up - with guest numbers, additions to the menu, etc. And when we ran into Stephen at a wedding Open House event a week before our wedding, he not only remembered us and our wedding theme, but talked about the upcoming event!
    The day of our wedding, the food was delicious, the service was outstanding, the staff was professional, and our guests are still raving about several of the menu items! Glasses were always full, food was fresh and plentiful, but most importantly, every member of the team was professional, friendly, kind, and helpful! They even took the time to explain ingredients of each of the menu items to my daughter, who is pregnant, to alleviate her concerns about what she should/shouldn't eat! We will definitely use Renaissance Chef for any future catering needs and will highly recommend them to others!

Sent on 05/10/2017

Liz · Married on 04/28/2017

The wedding was catered by Renaissance Caterers. The chef really out did himself and served a variety of delicacies. Everything we tasted was yummier that the previous bite. The wait staff was phenomenal. My water glass was never empty and our waiter was eager serve. I highly recommend Renaissance Caterers.

Sent on 05/02/2017

Megan · Married on 11/25/2016

We could not have dreamed up a better caterer for our special day. From the food to the service, Renaissance Chef exceeded all expectations. The food (cooked for 125 guests) was out of this world - our guests are still raving that it's the best wedding food they've ever had! And the staff took complete care of all our guests.

Jake and Stephen made the whole day (and all the planning leading up to it) feel like a breeze. They answered our questions and accommodated our requests with a smile and "Absolutely, we can do that!" So fairly priced, and even offered us great advice on how to save money, giving an honest opinion on whether add-on options were necessary.

We only hope we have another reason/occasion to use Renaissance Chef soon!!! Thank you!!!!

Sent on 01/02/2017

Lauren · Married on 09/25/2016

Professional, accommodating, delicious are only a few of the words I would use to describe this vendor. Jake, the owner was present through every aspect of the process from the tasting, meetings, and reception. His staff was polite, attentive, responsive and good natured. And most importantly his food is delicious. Our guest are still talking about the delicious crab ball appetizers and beef burgundy. Even the mashed potatoes were impeccable at the mashed potato bar. All guests were greeted by Jake in the buffet line at my daughters wedding to answer any questions and assist where needed. We highly recommend this vendor as you will not be disappointed and I am sure that our guests will use him for their events as they were all highly impressed

Sent on 09/30/2016

Ally · Married on 09/25/2016

I can not say enough about Renaissance Chef. I had a two story venue and the bar was downstairs while the dinner was upstairs, the staff came to every table to refill alcohol and drink orders as well as making sure no one needed anything. My husband had one request for the wedding he needed cobbler for dessert. I mentioned what the baker was making and they immediately said no problem we will heat it and store everything do you need ice cream and we will provide all the plaves and cake stand as well as slice and set out everything. This was amazing especially considering they did not do the desserts. I had one request, a mashed potato bar and it was amazing. All of the food was so delicious! As the bride and groom my husband and I were given appetizers and drinks of our choice in a little area away from the group to ensure we got to eat. We also got served our plates and mashed potatoes made up from the buffet specifically to our order to make sure we could eat before we greeted all our guests. They were amazing and I hope I can work with them for an event again in the future.

Sent on 11/02/2016

Robert · Married on 09/10/2016

Jake and his staff did an outstanding job helping bride and groom select menu for cocktail hour and main plated meal (tasting, budget, etc.), organizing the event, and conducting the event. Everything was perfect, staff was helpful and attentive, Renaissance worked seamlessly with the venue (Thorpewood) to put on an excellent event. Father of the Bride

Sent on 10/06/2016

Alex · Married on 08/19/2016

Jake, Steven and the whole team at Renaissance Chef were amazing to work with for our wedding. They took our menu, which had a couple things they'd never made before, and enthusiastically ran with it. Not only was the food delicious but the whole staff were wonderful and attentive to us and our guests on the day of. I got many compliments on the food, even among some tough foodie critics. Everything about the process was a pleasure and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Sent on 08/24/2016

Karissa · Married on 08/05/2016

Renaissance catering was the perfect choice for our Thorpewood wedding - we cannot express enough how thankful we are for their exceptional service. Jake, Steve and their team were so much fun to work with and went above and beyond to ensure we and our friends/family felt so cared for that evening. The food was delicious and we were able to customize it for our budget. We received so many compliments that evening on how wonderful and attentive the catering staff was. Renaissance was the perfect choice for our wedding!

Sent on 08/09/2016

Vicky · Married on 06/11/2016

Renaissance Chef Catering was a joy to work with. Not only do they serve delicious food but their prices are reasonable and their staff is so friendly. I used them for my summer 2016 wedding and I'm so glad I did. Jake was willing to answer the millions of questions I had and responded to my emails promptly. The staff at the wedding was extremely pleasant and so willing to help with whatever anyone asked. Not only was the service good but the food was delicious! I had tons of guests raving about the food. You couldn't ask for a better catering service.

Sent on 07/11/2016

Lauren · Married on 09/20/2014

Renaissance Chef catered our Sept. 2014 wedding and my husband and I could not have been happier with the quality of service and food they provided! From the initial tasting to the reception, Jake and his staff were professional and fun to work with. Jake worked with us to make a menu to fit our tastes and our budget. We received countless compliments on the food ("Best wedding food ever!"). Chuck and Steve were amazing during the reception - getting us food and drinks and making sure we actually got to sit down and eat. I cannot say enough great things about Renaissance Chef...thank you!

Sent on 10/03/2014

Jeni · Married on 09/21/2013

Renaissance Catering did an amazing job at our wedding! Jake was quick to answer all of my millions of questions leading up to the event. They arrived on time, and like promised, had everything beautifully set up before the guests arrived. The food (appetizers and dinner) were great and we received several compliments from our guests that this " wedding food" was one of the best they've had. Chuck was very friendly and made sure that my husband and I were able to sit down and eat something. (which we both were very appreciative of) The service, food and staff were outstanding, I would recommend this company to anyone planning a wedding or event!!

Sent on 10/07/2013

Renaissance Chef was wonderful to work with. Great prices, service, and food. My family has worked with them several times, and both times we were very pleased. I would recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 10/28/2013

Jan · Married on 06/22/2013

From beginning to end, Renaissance Chef Catering treated us like we were family. After the interview and tasting, my daughter (the bride-to-be) wanted to hire Renaissance because they were friendly, accommodating, and reasonable in price. Every email or call that we made prior to the wedding was answered promptly and cordially. The food at the reception was delicious and beautifully displayed, but our favorite part of the day was the way we were treated---like family! Servers offered to get us drinks, encouraged us about how well the reception was going, and worked tirelessly throughout the evening with smiles on their faces. Many of our guests complimented us on our choice of Caterers. We recommend them without reservation!

Sent on 06/27/2013

My husband and I used Renaissance Chef for our rehearsal dinner in Frederick, May 2013. We could not have asked for a better company. The initial catering quote was half of what the other caterer's were going to charge me. They were extremely flexible, seeing as how our venue was at a flower nursery and grilling was not allowed on site. Renaissance Chef worked with me every step of the way, and made sure my rehearsal dinner was perfect. They were on time, polite, friendly, and the food was delicious - couldn't ask for anything more. They stayed and cleared off the tables, and wrapped everything up for me to go.

Overall, great price, delicious food, excellent customer service.

Sent on 08/12/2013

Renaissance Chef Catering did a fantastic job with our wedding reception and cocktail hour. They were extremely flexible and more accommodating than many of other catering companies that we met with in the Frederick area. From the start, they listened attentively, treated us with respect, and went above and beyond to meet our needs/requests. For example, my husband’s family is from the Caribbean and so we wanted some of our food served to have a Caribbean influence, without hesitation head chef Jake developed a creative and delicious cocktail hour menu with authentic Caribbean flavor that impressed our guests. Throughout the planning process, we had no problems or stress communicating with their staff. On our wedding day, they delivered impeccably. The food and drinks were outstanding and the service was smooth and seamless. Our only regret is that we did not find them earlier in the planning process. We would not hesitate to recommend Renaissance Chef Catering for any wedding or event!

Sent on 08/17/2013

Sarah · Married on 08/05/2017

Renaissance chef catering was exemplary for our wedding day!! We opted for a mixed menu including many appetizers for cocktail hour and then a barbecue style dinner. They cooked everything on site and the food tasted fresh and delicious. We chose to serve the meal family style which prompted more interaction between guests. They provided a bartender and all of the mixers. Steve was so responsive when I emailed (the week of the wedding!!) to ask if they could make a signature drink. We were so happy with Renaissance and would highly recommend them!

Sent on 08/17/2017
  • Kelsey

Kelsey & Tom · Married on 07/06/2019

Casual wedding fare

We worked with Renaissance for our recent wedding at ThorpeWood. Renaissance was one of the select caterers that ThorpeWood works with, and we chose them due to their menu flexibility and price point.

The Renaissance team worked with us to create a casual, family-style bbq dinner for our reception. The tasting was awesome - we were able to try a lot of different options and went home with tons of leftovers. They also worked with us to have a special toast during the dinner speeches.

Overall, the food and service were great; we received many compliments from our guests.

Sent on 08/04/2019

Renaissance Chef Catering Company's reply:

Thank you, Kelsey & Tom! We loved being a part of your wedding and so happy that everyone enjoyed the food and service. Best wishes!

Amanda · Married on 09/16/2016

If I based my review on the food and managers I'd give them five stars for everything. They were great. The tasting was fun and tasty. They were very responsive to my emails and were super flexible with the menu. We ended up choosing bacon wrapped chicken (wasn't on the menu), cheese and fruit, and crab balls for appetizers. We also allowed to bring in a special pate we wanted. For dinners we had cajun salmon (again- not on the menu but we requested the cajun seasoning), sliced flank steak, and chicken stir fry (which was from a the stations menu I believe but they let us mix and match for our plated dinner). All the food was delicious. I wasn't focused on the service to be honest, I was more focused on making my rounds at the tables, but our guests said that the service was great and they were well attended to.
    What I had to deduct stars for is the bartender service. We were allowed to provide our own alcohol which helped cut down costs. Unfortunately, the bartenders were not good employees. At our final meeting with the vendor we specifically asked that no shots be served because we didn't want to deal with sloppy drunk people. They assured us that their policy was to not serve shots anyway. The bartenders disregarded this and served many shots throughout the night, sometimes two in a row to the same person. As we feared, we ended up with drunk guests who caused a lot of stressful and unnecessary drama. Not a great way to end the evening. The manager Jake was very apologetic/sincere, refunded us some of the bartender fee, and offered to supply appetizers for a party in the future to try to help make up for it. He assured me that the bartender issue would be taken care of and that nothing like this had happened before. It was disappointing though. Besides that, we were very satisfied with Ren Chef and would still recommend them.

Sent on 10/04/2016