Real Food Catering Reviews

Real Food Catering 3
Real Food Catering 4
Real Food Catering 5

sheree · Married on 08/23/2014

What an INCREDIBLE wedding evening thanks so much to the fabulous caterer Joe and his crew. Everyone was such a pleasure to work with as our daughter and her husband made all the arrangements. From appetizers to our dinner, everyone said the food was FABULOUS! The menu was Perfect and the memories are incredible. Thank you so so much! You guys are HIGHLY recommended . We are used to the best food living in New Orleans and this was THE BEST of THE BEST!

Sent on 09/06/2014

Lindsey · Married on 08/15/2014

This review is long overdue.... Real Food Catering provides more than just the delicious food for your wedding day.
    We got married at a venue in Brooklyn where you basically need to bring in everything- the food, the linens, the table & serve ware, and even some furniture. It all seemed so overwhelming, but upon meeting with Yen & Gary for our intro consult I just knew these were the people that would get the entire job done and do it well. We were sold on them... we just needed to taste their food. Yen & Gary like to do their tastings several hours before an actual event they are catering- at that event space. My husband & I and about 5 other couples were seated at a table and presented food to taste which was a combination of the dishes preselected by all the couples at the table. We were able to taste so much delicious food and see it presented in the setting of an event. We tweaked our menu a bit after the tasting (added some of the dishes other couples had chosen) and never looked back.
    Yen & Gary were always available to take the many calls and emails from me and the moms to answer questions we had regarding the "flow" menu. We had a cocktail style reception and just couldn't grasp the flow concept.
    Gary was the day of coordinator for our wedding day. He was perfection- the calm to my crazy. He kept us fed and hydrated at all times. They dealt with all the other vendors, deliveries and all the moving parts that go into making the night run smoothly. Yen & Gary are the perfect pair and we couldn't be happier to have had them on our team!

Sent on 03/20/2015
  • I

Isaac · Married on 08/10/2014

There is no doubt in my mind to continue Real Food Catering's long history of getting 5s in all categories. Yen and Gary (and all of their staff for the wedding night) were ABSOLUTELY amazing.

My wife and I looked at several caterers, including taste tests, and nothing compared to the flexibility, professionalism, and TASTE of Real Food's catering.

We met with their team about 6 months in advance and design a pretty custom menu - including a Mediterranean-style mezze appetizer course with cheese/charcuterie, to be followed by Latin American themed passed appetizers (mini arepas, tequenos, and empanadas), and then a great French Style meal (steak, chilean sea bass, and a vegetarian option with amazing sides). ALL of the guests raved about the food and the attentiveness of the serving staff.

Our wedding went off without a hitch and we owe a GREAT deal of that to the Real Foods team - they continuously adjusted the timing of events and servings throughout the night based on the guests' feelings (ready to dance vs. not). They also worked seamlessly with our florist, DJ, and officiant - we couldn't have been happier with all of their support.

We would highly, highly, highly recommend working with Real Food Catering. If you make the circuit to meet with caterers, make sure you include Real Food....you'll be sorry that you even tried the others.

Sent on 08/29/2014

Joyce · Married on 07/05/2014

We are beyond happy to have worked with Yen and Gary for our wedding. They are the perfect team. We had so many compliments on the food, on how beautifully things are laid out, the well stocked bar, and how fun our wedding was. None of it would have happened without the Real Food Catering team.

Yen makes the best food ever, EVER. Not just in terms of wedding "catered" food. But, honestly, good, yummy food, and an amazing variety of it. Yen will also put your groom-zilla in his place. My "i'm a dude, i don't care" husband, went off his rails at our first meeting with Yen. She might be tiny, but she is mighty. Yen quickly pull the meeting to a halt, and he, though a bigger man, knew when to yield. Yen worked her magic and he quickly became an admirer, especially after our tasting session. No kidding about the stomach being the way to a man's heart.

At our final meeting, we met Gary. Gary's quiet, but he's quietly all about the details. I was freaking out, as brides shouldn't, but does anyway, about the whole wedding day sequence of events. We didn't hire a wedding planner, so the days leading up to our wedding day, I was writing/emailing/texting/calling everyone, desperately trying to mentally put the day together. When the big day came, Gary was my saving grace. He kept me calm, made sure things were going smoothly. I am beyond grateful to have had him there.

If you can't tell yet, we love working with Yen and Gary. It so happen our friends were inquiring Real Food Catering for their wedding. They made their decision on the spot, at our wedding! We can't wait to see Yen and Gary again next summer at their wedding!!

Sent on 11/19/2014

I am writing a long overdue review to praise Yen and Gary's unwavering commitment to make our wedding day better than we could have ever imagined. In planning our wedding, both my husband and I and my parents had some nontraditional preferences and Yen and Gary worked patiently and practically with us to make sure we all got what we wanted. Yen and Gary provided valuable insight as to what worked best at our venue (The Foundry) and offered great advice on decor, menus and event flow along the way. We can't rave enough about how happy we were with partnering with Real Food for our wedding- not only do they deliver on all aspects of the catering front, they did a phenomenal job with day of coordination. I would highly recommend Real Food for any occasion and look forward to working with them again in the future.

Sent on 07/13/2015
  • User3198601 · 2+ years ago

My husband and I cannot rave enough about Gary and Yen. From our first meeting to the day of the wedding, they were nothing short of spectacular. The food was amazing. Several guests said the steak was the best steak they ever had. We highly recommend this company without any reservations!

Sent on 06/04/2014
  • SenoritaTscherednikov

Kelly · Married on 05/10/2014

Yen & Gary are the most dynamic, knowledgable, dependable, and genuine duo in the game. We are so lucky our friend recommended Real Food Catering to us before we signed a contract with another (suitable but not spectacular) vendor. Upon meeting with Yen & Gary, we finally felt like our vision could and would be a reality. We were so grateful to have them as a beacon of calm, unwavering insight.

Regardless of how many blogs, boards or books you've read about weddings, there is still so much you don't know you don't know. Yen & Gary know it all, which is why you need them. We had numerous guests tell us they've never been to such an amazing wedding. The reviews on the food were unanimously glowing. I would never have achieved bridechilla if I didn't have the dream team in our camp. Thank you, Yen & Gary! We couldn't have pulled it off without you two.

Sent on 11/01/2015

This review is long overdue! Yen & Gary were amazing! My husband and I interviewed a few caterers, but the reviews on Real Food Catering alone were amazing and after one meeting with Yen & Gary, we were sold. They were complete professionals throughout the whole planning and day of process. Every additional vendor we met with, when they heard who we were using for catering, responded with “Oh I love working Yen!” They were amazingly professional and their reputation speaks for itself.

The food was delicious and creative. The service was impeccable. Yen & Gary think of everything and we had a wonderful experience with them!

Sent on 09/25/2015

I cannot say enough good things about Real Food Catering, Yen and Gary are amazing and went above and beyond to make our wedding day perfect. The food is absolutely delicious, our guests were so impressed and are still talking about food 7 months later (especially the short ribs). However, you are getting so much more when you hire them and i think that's what sets them apart from other caterers. Yen is fantastic at planning an inventive and elegant menu, but they also help with rentals, venue questions, the floor plan, planning the timeline of event and day-of coordinating, among many other things.

I had zero experience planning a large formal event so I was a bit overwhelmed, but from the first meeting with Yen and Gary their professionalism, experience and passion for event planning shined through and we felt immediately comfortable in their capable hands. They are two of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet and they know their stuff when it comes to planning a beautiful and seamless event. They worked within our budget and vision to make sure our day was exactly as we imagined it. They paid attention to every detail that was important to us and put my mind at ease about throwing such a big party.

Having Gary there for day-of coordinating was a godsend, he's amazing. He humored my high-strung mother when she made crazy requests, made sure we sat down for a few minutes for dinner to sample the delicious meal Yen prepared, and kept the event flowing throughout the night without me having to worry about anything at all. I can honestly say that I wasn't stressed a bit during my wedding reception.

Real Food Catering is the real deal - the food is exceptional and their planning and execution is flawless. I highly recommend them without hesitation.

Sent on 11/03/2014

Denise · Married on 03/29/2014

Yen and Gary from Real Food were amazing to work with from start to finish. And the food was amazing, my guests are still commenting that it's the best food they've ever had at a wedding!

Sent on 04/22/2014

Jeremy · Married on 03/29/2014

I wish I could hire Real Food for every party I host for the rest of my life. The food was amazing, and so was the service. Yen and Gary are such wonderful people, and we felt our wedding was in excellent hands with them. They surpassed our expectations in every way.

Sent on 04/24/2014

Karen · Married on 12/07/2013

Yen and Gary were absolute pleasures to work with. They are experts in their field and put all of my concerns at ease from the moment we met with them. It was clear that they had everything under control! Not only is the food delicious (our guests are still talking about the lamb chops), but Yen and Gary are full service event coordinators. They helped us with our rentals, table layouts, day of schedule, and a host of other items. They were incredibly responsive throughout the whole planning process, not to mention very thoughtful. I had mentioned to Gary in passing that my Mom liked Irish Coffee and he had one of the servers bring one out to her the day of the wedding. Yen and Gary were so fun to work with - I would give them 10 starts if I could!

Sent on 01/03/2014

Gemma · Married on 11/16/2013

Amazing caterer, event planner, we felt so taken care of and supported on our wedding day! Everyone on staff, especially Yen, was wonderful!!!

Sent on 12/02/2013

Lauren · Married on 11/02/2013

I was just married this past weekend and I hired Real Food Catering as a full service caterer. I grew up in a small town where weddings were typically back yard occasions. I just married my wonderful husband, from Westchester, where weddings are a BIG deal. We didn't see eye to eye often while planning this wedding, but the one things we both agreed on right away was our choice to hire Real Food Catering. They were wonderful to work with, well organized, smart with their advice, and they continually helped us find a happy medium between our two differing views.

Everyone told me that we looked so relaxed at our wedding, and we were! The food was amazing. I work with many world travers who are quite picky and they told me over and over how great the food was. The servers were professional and even though I chose the décor for the space, they pulled it together in such a beautiful way, it was better than I imagined.

People asked over and over, so, what things didn’t go as planned? I guess that is a normal question to ask, with such a large event (we had around 155 guests in NYC) there are things that are bound to crop up, but in our case, everything went smoothly. I think that its really a testament to Real Food that they ensured everything ran perfectly through the entire evening!

Anyone planning a wedding or event that requires catering in the NYC area should learn more about Real Food, we interviewed and looked into many caterers, and we are 100% confident we hired the best company comprised of the best people.

Sent on 11/06/2013

megan · Married on 10/05/2013

Phenomenal, memorable, incredible. That is how we describe Real Food Catering in three words. Wish we could provide 10 stars to illustrate our happiness. When selecting our caterer and reviewing the countless 5/5 star ratings from past clients, I thought "Can Real Food be that good?" I now speak from the experience of a truly outstanding evening - the Real Food team is absolutely amazing. As you consider your catering options for your special day, Real Food has to be on your very short list.

We had the absolute pleasure of working with Yen and Gary for our October 5th wedding. From our very first phone conversation through the wedding evening, Yen and Gary went well beyond our expectations to ensure our event was an absolute success in every respect.

The food was unique, fresh and delicious. Our guests still rave about the food. The entire flow of the evening was perfect. Gary was our wedding day coordinator. We couldn't have been happier; he was calm and relaxed and you were quickly assured you were in the right hands; he was always in control with a smile on his face.

Real Food Catering's staff was extremely pleasant and accommodating; many of our guests commented on the courtesies of the staff.

Yen has a terrific eye for design. We let Yen have creative control; she flawlessly managed the look and feel of the food and overall table presentation. She did a phenomenal job.

We are honored to provide Real Food Catering our highest endorsement. Yen and Gary become emotionally invested in your party. Not only do they promise a successful event, they deliver above and beyond expectations.

Megan and Tim

Sent on 02/12/2014

marisa · Married on 09/21/2013

No review we could possibly write could sum up how thankful we are that we chose Yen and Gary for our wedding. From the second we talked to Yen and decided on our budget and what we wanted, she did everything possible to make all of our wants, needs, and ideas come to fruition-- while continually trying to find us ways to save money. They really know weddings and can show you where you should splurge and where you should save - their knowledge was priceless. Yen's energy and warmth and Gary's calming way of putting you at ease makes everything during this stressful time so much more enjoyable. You can really feel that they care about you and your day.

The food: Our parents insisted on a sit-down dinner and we were sort of iffy about it, but once we saw the staff almost in complete synchronization put down everyone's plates so elegantly, we knew we made the right choice. The food was AMAZING. Really high quality ingredients, care in cooking and interesting choices that could fit any palate. People are still raving about the food - it was talked about so much the next day and following weeks. Not only was the food amazing, but it was also plentiful and carefully planned. The appetizers seemed to be merging from all angles and our guests were blown away. We could not have been happier about the food.

Gary was an amazing day-of coordinator - he has a calming force, but also encourages you to be excited and enjoy your day. He does his job so well you don't even realize how much he is doing. He even recommended a restaurant in Tokyo that was the best meal of our honeymoon. The rest of the staff were as nice and hardworking as the two of them - you can see everyone works hard for them because they are good people and they hire good people. The staff had smiles the entire service - even when it started pouring.

We're so lucky to have found them that we felt compelled to express our appreciation and pass along a recommendation of the utmost confidence and warmth.

Sent on 04/28/2014

Erica · Married on 09/15/2013

It cannot get better than Real Food. Yen and Gary is the best there is and made our wedding truly ours. Their food is amazing and Yen was able to cater to the needs and palates of the guests. We knew if nothing in the wedding turned out well, the food would be delicious and it will be ok. When we see friends who attended the wedding now, they talk about how beautiful it was and then they talk about the food. We were told the servers, which were hired by Real Food, were personable, friendly, and did not miss anyone with the food or alcohol, truly seamless. Yen and Gary themselves are miracle workers and made everything we wanted for our wedding come true. I am a hands-on, do everything myself, crafty person and was no different when it came to our wedding. I had lots of ideas and Yen coordinated everything perfectly. She got everything done without a blink of an eye and will not hesitate to help you in anyway giving you valuable suggestions. Gary is a sweetheart and made sure we ate and got pampered. He has so much patience dealing with the bridal party and guests it amazes us how everything ran so smoothly. We highly recommend Yen and Gary. It was them that allowed us to unwind, relax, and enjoy the company of our guests. We did not have to think about anything else making our wedding truly memorable and special.

Sent on 10/01/2013

Sara · Married on 09/07/2013

Real Food Catering is OUTSTANDING!!! Yen and Gary are the sweetest, nicest people we met, and very professional. They do catering like clockwork. Super organized, quick to respond, honest, prompt, trustworthy, and well-connected people. Our first meeting with them was extremely thorough, we went through the whole day, the timeline of events, the whole menu, colors, decorations, etc. etc. No detail left unattended. They served more like day-of coordinators for us. I had a bunch of extra decorations that needed to be set up, and they took care of it all because they go above and beyond. They kept the party on schedule and made sure everything went smooth. They used their connections to help us find an awesome DJ (DJ Kahn), and affordable photo booth (Fresh Pressed Photo Booth), and took care of ordering all the rentals. Their food was amazing! My husband and his brother had seconds at the wedding. I had one guest tell me that the miso chilean sea bass "touched lives."

We highly recommend Real Food Catering. They are THE BEST. Consider yourself lucky if you get to work with them on your day. They are catering GODS!

Sent on 10/07/2013

Amanda · Married on 08/31/2013

When we booked Real Food Catering after our tasting meal with Yen and Gary, we were sure we picked the right place but the food served and staff employed at our wedding confirmed our expectation that Real Food Catering is an amazing caterer. While I'm sure there are other amazing caterers out there (especially in the NYC area), we would have a hard time believing that any were better than Real Food.

The most obvious place to start is with the food; our entrees (Beef Tenderloin and Sea Bass) were amazing and tasted made-to-order. The passed dishes during cocktail hour were exquisite as well, perfectly sized and of amazing quality. And the deserts, needless to say we're delicious. Our former neighbor is a baker (owner of Almondine), so we had him prepare the cake, but the accompanying deserts made an incredible impression as well.

However, to simply review the food from Real Food would have resulted n a glowing review, it also misses a huge portion of what makes Real Food so special. Yen and Gary were instrumental in helping us create the perfect menu. This entailed detailed walk throughs of the menu as well as several meetings with us to get a sense of who we are as people and what the guest list would be like so that we could create a menu that would please everyone, which it did without reservation. As another example of the personal touch and professionalism of Real Food, about a month before the wedding, Yen called us to say that a better fish (sea bass) was available and suggested we switch from our original selection of snapper (with the same preparation) as the flavor would be better. I would imagine the snapper would have been great, but the sea bass was sublime.

Finally, Yen and Gary were an absolute pleasure to deal with and took on a role similar to that of a planner, executing everything with remarkable precision behind the scenes. We cannot recommend Real Food Catering enough. Yen and Gary, you were amazing and thank you!

Amanda & Chris

Sent on 09/19/2013

ibert · Married on 08/24/2013

I've been meaning to write this review but I've been so busy in the many months since I got married. But I had to make sure that I left a review because working with Yen and Gary was such an amazing experience, especially during the chaotic wedding planning time. I still cannot get over our wedding day. It. was. absolutely. perfect. I still get teary eyed when I think about it because I just never imagined that it would be that beautiful of a day. I felt like it was a beautiful dream. Gary, Yen, and their wonderful team MADE SURE that it was just amazing. Of course people are still talking, almost 4 months later, about the food and how delicious it was. Also as and aside, take Yen's advice when she offers it, in our case she was right the sweet potato fries they were a huge hit. Ha!

We let them know out budget and at no point did they try to up sell. Actually, Yen kept coming up with new ways to save some dollars. A real pro.

Anyway, I was telling my husband after the wedding that I was sad we don't have any more meetings Gary and Yen because it was always a pleasure to see them. (Also... their office is amazing!!!) They were the X factor to our wedding and we COULD NOT have had such a perfect and amazing day without them. The morning of the wedding everyone kept saying how calm I was, but it was because I totally knew we were in such good hands.

I without any reservation would work with them again on any other event.

Sent on 02/05/2014

It doesn't get better than this. Yen and Gary were incredible, perfect in every way. They are personable and thoughtful. They will implement your vision and they know how to make it even better. The food was outstanding, truly. Our guests, foodies and not, haven't stopped raving about the food. They all say how delicious it was and then start listing their favorite items, and these are long lists. Here are a few things worth noting before deciding on a caterer other than Real Food:

1. Yen's food should be Michelin rated.

2. Yen and Gary are super knowledgeable about weddings. They seem to have experience in all the major New York City venues and know how to maximize the space. We had ideas for our use of The Foundry and they validated our ideas and also made great suggestions based on their experiences there. They knew what colors worked best, what chairs looked the nicest, what rooms were the best value, what candles and flowers were necessary and not, and just generally what works and what doesn't work.

3. We had a "flow dinner" instead of a sit down and Yen and Gary made suggestions for how to run it. Every suggestion they made was the right one. I'd go into specifics, but I'd run out of room.

4. They effectively ran the wedding as party planners would. Gary had servers cue the wedding party, the flower girls and ring bearers, and me at our respective times. Because we had a "flow dinner" we didn't have a head table or a designated time to sit and eat. Gary made us plates of food and made us sit eat it. He brought food and drinks to us during our photo shoot. He told us when to cut the cake. He helped us pack up our gifts at the end of the night.

We joke that we owe them our first born child. My only regret is that we don't have any future events, at least in the immediate future, that need catering. The second we do have something, though, we will go back to Real Food Catering.

Sent on 08/19/2013

Meghan · Married on 06/01/2013

Working with Real Food Catering was an absolute dream come true! We had read all of their positive reviews, so I expected Yen and Gary to be great, but they truly went above and beyond our expectations. We did not use any sort of wedding planner, but relied solely on Yen and Gary to lead us through the wedding planning process. They were so responsive and accommodating, and their wedding expertise and knowledge of our specific venue – the Foundry – really showed. They suggested other vendors for us, helped us decide what rentals we needed, helped us design the menu, and worked with us to create a timeline. Everything flowed so perfectly the night of the wedding and felt completely effortless for us, because Yen and Gary had everything taken care of. Our wedding was on an unexpectedly hot day in June, so Yen and Gary took it upon themselves to have refreshing fruit punch waiting for guests when they arrived and they got extra varieties of a bunch of local beers for cocktail hour. These small touches were things our guests commented on and really enjoyed. In addition, they put aside a plate of hors d’oeuvres for us, to make sure we had time to eat and relax before joining everyone for cocktails. To top it off, all of the food Yen prepared was absolutely amazing! Most people go into weddings expecting mediocre food, but our hors d’oeuvres, entrees, and desserts were all so delicious and flavorful – the miso-marinated sea bass was honestly one of the best fish dishes we’ve ever had and people couldn’t stop raving about it. The bacon wrapped date appetizers and brownie sundae desserts were also huge hits with our guests. All in all, we felt like our wedding was perfect, and much of that was due to Real Food Catering! They were a pleasure to work with from beginning to end and we couldn’t recommend them more!

Sent on 08/22/2013

Mariana · Married on 04/27/2013

I cannot express how grateful my husband and I are to have worked with Yen and Gary, they really went above and beyond our expectations. Not only was the food delicious but their service was amazing and they are a lot of fun to work with. They truly understood my needs and helped me create a quality menu that was also within our budget.

The attention to detail was amazing. When my husband and I were taking photos during the cocktail hour they made sure to bring down some of the food for us. As the bride and groom it is very easy to forget to eat that night but they made sure we made time to eat dinner so that we could have energy to dance the night away.

I am still getting comments from our guests about the food. It was delicious!

Sent on 08/17/2013

Real Food catering is the only way to go if you are putting together a wedding where you provide your own caterer. Yen and Gary are PHENOMENAL - personally, professionally and as foodies!! But their expertise does not stop at just the food. They help with everything - from giving suggestions to other fabulous vendors, to helping you with your floor plan, choosing your alcohol, wine and champagne, helping with your timeline and giving ideas on how to make your night the best it can possibly be.
    Our food was exceptional. Our guests raved about how delicious, fresh, and flavorful it all was - from appetizers to dessert! We chose the peking duck in sticky rice buns as one of our unlimited appetizers and we literally had guests stalking the staffers for them - people texted us this week asking about our caterer and what all the wonderful food was that they ate at our wedding. Gary is the best - he is hands on and helps ensure your night is all it can be and more. We wanted for nothing during our reception - he and Yen made sure we had everything! Also, their prices are so competitive - in NYC, where everything tends to be overprices, Real Food is honest and works with you to make sure you are getting the best you can possible get for fair prices per guest.
    The day of and days after, guests have complimented, posted, emailed and texting using words/phrases such as "EPIC", "BEST WEDDING EVER" and "WEDDING OF THE CENTURY"...we could not have achieved that level of enjoyment, sophistication and deliciousness with our guests if it weren't for Yen and Gary. To all NYC bride to be's and groom to be's, go with Real Food Catering and you will have the best night of your life. Our suggestion is to contact them early - because they are so hands-on, they can only do so many weddings per year.

Sent on 04/10/2013

Paola · Married on 03/28/2013

Yen is amazing! I got married at the Foundry and wanted a non-traditional reception. She not only executed an amazing wedding/reception but she helped me feel really comfortable with the new concept. She responded to e-mails right away and thoroughly answered all my questions. Guest are still telling us that the food was amazing, and the midnight mini sliders with milkshakes was a huge hit. I can go on and on about the food but here are some highlights: coconut shrimp, mini grilled cheese with mushrooms, chicken empanadas, Nachos with steak & guacamole, steak, chicken with mushrooms, chocolate dipped strawberries; everything was DELICIOUS! She remembered that my now husband wanted hot sauce and she made him a special hot sauce for his food; those details really matter and make a huge difference.
    Okay now to Gary, what can I say amazing and patient. I had a lot of questions throughout the process and he answered them all and twice if needed. He was the best Day of Wedding Coordinator, he made sure everything went smooth and if there was a problem I didn't even know. He made sure that my husband and I had food and drinks. He was also patient with our family and our hyper-active nephew(ring bearer)....during the rehearsal. Thank you Gary & Yen.

Sent on 04/03/2013