Publick House Historic Inn Reviews

Sarah · Married on 10/01/2011

AWESOME PLACE!!!!!! Great food, great atmosphere

Sent on 06/08/2012

Catie · Married on 02/20/2010

I would love to have given this venue a perfect 5 but the Event Manager assigned to our wedding was not easy to get ahold of and that was the only thing that we weren't completely happy with. The price was great and the food was DELICIOUS. Our families loved the decor and the fact that they could stay in the Inn and not have to travel to and from another venue! We loved it too, everything in one place............Ceremony, Reception, Bakery for the cake, accomodations for the guests..........So much less stress this way!

Sent on 01/05/2011

Marianne · Married on 05/16/2009

We were very pleased with the Publick House for our May 2009 wedding reception. We were looking for a location that had a casual, New England country Inn feel where our guests could also stay over at a reasonable rate and which would accommodate approximately 180 guests. We were living out of state prior to our wedding and did not have too much communication throughout the planning period and we weren't too sure what to expect on the wedding day but we couldn't have been more pleased with everything. From the moment we arrived there was someone unobtrusively by our side to take care of everything -even putting a bandaid on my foot after I scraped it! Two servers followed the bridal party during picture taking, bringing us drinks and appetizers and holding things as needed. The banquet manager made sure to check in with us and was very responsive to any requests. Our guests loved the food, the location, the proximity of the rooms and everything else about the venue.

Sent on 06/19/2009

Laura · Married on 08/19/2017

4.2
      3.5

Our wedding was August 2017 and was absolutely amazing. Our ceremony was in the meadow and our reception in the tent – both were beautiful!

Luckily we got James as our day of coordinator and he was out of this world!He anticipated all of our needs and got ahead of them. He made sure everything was perfect and how we wanted it. He even helped my grandpa to his seat because he was having trouble walking on the grass. Without James and his staff, our wedding wouldn’t have been nearly as amazing. James was either by my side or my husband’s side the entire day making sure everything was running as smoothly as possible and nothing was forgotten. His staff expertly made sure our guests wanted for nothing.

The appetizers were a big hit – we did a mashed potato bar and it was by far my favorite food item at the wedding. Our guests were raving about the three types of bacon laid out!! We also had Crab Rangoon’s and Bacon wrapped Short Ribs passed around. Both delicious! We did the baked scrod and the prime rib for dinner. The baked scrod was cooked perfectly and delicious. The prime rib was very overcooked for half our guests, but still tasted good. It’s wedding food so you can’t expect all that much, but it wasn’t bad. The cake was perfect. Not only was it beautiful, but it tasted suburb. Publick House has a wonderful bakery and it’s clear all our guests LOVED dessert and the fresh rolls/sticky buns on the tables during dinner.

The only thing I would change is our sales rep, Cathy. We originally started with Lisa who was wonderful, but she was promoted and we started working with her old manager, Cathy, who was friendly, but not hospitable and regularly made us seem like we were bothering her. I went into the wedding very worried that my vision wasn't heard, but James quickly fixed that and made sure the wedding was exactly what both my husband and I wanted.

Overall, I would recommend this as a wedding venue!!!

Sent on 11/13/2017

Laura · Married on 04/23/2017

4.2

They defiantly have the wedding scene figured out, we are beyond happy with how the wedding turned out. Everything g was amazing highly recommend

Sent on 05/07/2017

Laura · Married on 10/01/2016

3.0

Book it! The Publick House had everything we were looking for and their attendants on the day of were absolutely amazing.

Sent on 10/11/2016

Anna · Married on 09/29/2012

3.5

We were married outside at the garden gazebo, cocktail hour outside and an evening tent reception. We were very happy with the Publick House. The food was amazingly delicious and was served to our 135 guests very quickly! Our red velvet cake was elegant and sooooooo tasty. The bridal suite was very quaint and the rooms were a bit 'historic' but comfortable. The best part about the Publick House was the fabulous service we received during the 7 months leading up to the wedding Cathy and the sales team were very responsive and helped us make our day special. I know they hold a number of weddings each weekend, and I felt like they gave us a lot of attention and worked with us to include all of the personal touches we were looking for. When we were having trouble making decisions, Cathy offered solutions based on experience rather than just saying, "whatever you want." We had two bridal assistants to assist with the rehearsal and on the day-of. They did an amazing job directing us and the guests and ensuring everything ran smoothly. We hosted a breakfast the next morning and we had underestimated the number of guests that would attend by half. The Publick House staff worked hard to prepare more food and fresh place settings for the extra 30 breakfast goers. I'm so glad we ended up at the Publick House.

Sent on 10/28/2012

Katie · Married on 10/12/2014

3.0

Our recent wedding at the Publick House was good. We had a few bumps in the road but in all it went as planned. First issue was the card room where the groomsmen were to get ready/ wait for ceremony to begin had a long table (no linens), no chairs and a box of apples. Per our contract it was to have water, linens and some light snacks for them to enjoy. Nothing was in the room, my husband had to ask the check in desk if someone could bring them water and chairs as they had no where to sit. Second issue is your pretty much designated to one area of the venue. We had noticed a beautifully colored tree on the opposite side of our garden tent area that we wanted a few pictures, our bridal assistant had checked first with the banquet manager if we could go over for a few photos since another wedding was going on in that general area, we were ok'd to take a few quick photos so we walked on over got into position to take photos and then was approached by the banquet manager saying we can't be here we need to leave. The Publick House is advertised as this huge historical venue but be aware if multiple weddings are happening on your day your to stay on your side. I understand you also as a bride wouldn't want to see another bride in your photos, however in the moment it happened the other wedding hadn't started yet and there was a slight incline in the property so we could only see the guest heads while they were sitting waiting for the ceremony to start so by all means its not like we were directly behind this other brides ceremony taking photos while they were going through their vows. The food was amazing, the garden tent was great, the overall atmosphere for the fall time was nothing but picture perfect! The Publick House is a great venue I just think they take on a little too much especially on a holiday weekend full of weddings.

Sent on 01/18/2015

Rebecca · Married on 09/28/2013

The Publick House was a wonderful venue, although a little over priced for the quality. There were things we wanted that we could not have such as red and white wine glasses. The food was wonderful and the banquet manager Kristen was superb. She made the reception run smoothly and was very attentive to our needs. Overall we were very pleased with the facility. The historic inn has quaint rooms for guests, but the motor lodge is horrible. We would have been embarrassed to have any guests stay there. The staff overall is very friendly and helpful through the planning processs and it is obvious they are capable of handling many events at once.

Sent on 11/06/2013

Laura · Married on 09/21/2012

3.5

Publick House offered an affordable package that includes many services, which saved us time in our planning process. We chose to have both our ceremony and reception in Paige Hall with the cocktail hour in the Barn. We loved the venue’s rustic feel and had great opportunities for pictures outside. We received many compliments about the food and decor. We were also happy to have a wedding coordinator for the wedding day. Charlene did a great job, very helpful and attentive.

A few blips in the planning process were that our contract wasn’t always updated with the agreed upon details after each appointment. Being out of state, we needed to know that we’re all on the same page so this was important to us. Also, the current policy for discussing cake designs doesn’t allow clients to visit with actual bakers. This made it hard for us because when we were looking for feedback on what’s possible and to brainstorm cake design ideas, meeting with PH managing staff for these decisions was not very productive.

Overall, everything came together on the wedding day and we had a great time celebrating at Publick House with our family and friends. We were very happy we chose Publick House.

Sent on 11/12/2012

Michele · Married on 09/21/2008

2.0
      3.0

The main issue we had was with the onsite wedding coordinator. Every time we decided on something, a new contract was sent out. It took several revisions each time to get correct. It was the same items each time.

On our wedding day, the manager never came to get the bride, a water station that was supposed to be outside was not, a podium was not at the gazebo for our readers, and our cake and ice cream were served in bowls.

All in all, our wedding was gorgeous, despite their short-comings. The food was marvelous.

Sent on 10/07/2008

Christine · Married on 10/17/2008

3.5

The catering staff, food managers were exceptional!!!! The wedding planner always returned my calls/e-mails within 24 hours.

Sent on 11/11/2008

Sheryl · Married on 03/31/2007

2.5
      3.0

We had a small wedding (55 guests) so we had the ceremony in the Barn room and the reception in Paige Hall. they set up 1/2 the room with couches & coffee tables so people could relax and it filled up the space so it didn't appear empty. All my guests raved about the food. Squash bisque is Yummy!

Sent on 10/23/2008

Carolyn · Married on 01/06/2013

2.0
      3.0

Our wedding at the Publick House was wonderful. The Publick House is a beautiful rustic setting, and the staff is incredibly organized and really know how to make a wedding great. The fact that it is also an inn is wonderful if you have guests coming from a distance. I think having the inn there really made my wedding wonderful becuase no one had to leave - we rented out a small cabin by the motor lodge and the party continued there. The food is delicious, but sadly our photo session lasted so long we didn't get to sample any of the appetizers. Once the wedding got started I didn't have to think about anything - the publick house staff and my DJ kept things running smoothly.
    My room and everyones' rooms i visited were beautiful, spacious, and clean. The reception hall was beautifully decorated for Christmas, and the staff along with my florist set up the room to look spectacular.
    That being said I have only two complaints - My husband and his groomsmen were taking pictures around the inn and when they went to the library, the photographer pulled out a chair and found a dirty diaper - They were a little grossed out.
    My second complaint is that we chose the publick house becuase they quote very reasonable rates, but when we finally sat down and talked to the sales staff, we felt like we were being nickled and dimed for everything. All in all i feel like my wedding cost 150% of what we expected, and all those extra expenses were becuase of the publick house. We had to pay a rental fee for black napkins when other colors such as white, red, green, blue, and brown would have been free. We also had to pay a rental fee and an installation fee for chair covers and sashes.
    All in all i would recommend the publick house - but be prepared to pay well over the base price that is quoted.
    P.S my husband made me say all the mean things - I loved you guys!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 01/21/2013

Aidan · Married on 05/05/2008

2.6
      2.5
      1.0

“Horrific pre-event organization, but on the day, it was perfect.”

It’s quite difficult to know whether to recommend this venue or not. The setting is beautiful – both inside and out. On the day, everything was perfect – the banquet manager took care of everything we requested, and the staff acted discreetly & professionally – the food (including the cake, baked on-site) was delicious & plentiful – we couldn’t have hoped for a better day, and it was all at a very reasonable cost.

Now, the reason we aren’t giving this venue a glowing review is because to get to this point was nothing short of a nightmare. The venue has a wedding coordinator, whose job it is to ease the process of organizing events such as these, however, this person caused us more sleepless nights and lost time than we could have possibly anticipated. Before you strike the venue out completely, we might add that the position changed hands during the preparation of our contract which led to complications that others may not face.

The worst shock came two weeks before the event, when we were informed by the wedding coordinator that our event had been shortened by two hours, and we would need to pay a fee if we wanted them to honor the original duration! And it didn’t stop there… They requested we pay additional surcharges for items that were already included in the contract – all in all, they wanted to charge us 50% more than the price to which we had originally agreed! Four phone calls and ten days later, the venue reluctantly agreed to comply with the terms of the contract that they had signed several months earlier, and the events of the two weeks leading up to the wedding boiled down to nothing more than an infringement of sleep and sanity on the part of the bride and groom to-be.

As we mentioned at the start, the day itself was perfect. If you have no qualms with one of their existing packages and don’t plan to customize it to your personal taste, then you will probably love this venue. Our one piece of advice would be to make sure you receive a signed copy of whatever you agree to in writing. Just in case.

Sent on 02/28/2009

Heather · Married on 11/16/2013

2.2
      1.5
      1.0

It breaks my heart to have to rate the Publick House so poorly, considering how excited both my husband and I, and my parents especially, that we were getting married here, considering they had also been married here 35 years ago. All of the planning went wonderfully, the service and taste in my mouth only went bad, unfortunately, as soon as we checked in the day before the wedding. We called ahead to see if we could do early check in. We wanted to give Kathy Obrien a heads up we were on our way so she could help us bring all of our things up to the third floor- as she said she wanted to do. Well, we got there and the receptionist at the front desk said Kathy was on her lunch break (even though I had just called ahead) so me and my husband made about 4 trips through the windy hallways and were a bit frustrated that no one else offered to help us. Also the receptionist was unappologetic or even friendly for that matter. Anyways, come our wedding day a power-driven wedding coordinator who I had never met before took charge. and I mean TOOK CHARGE. You will see her in about 90% of my wedding phtotographs because she would not leave our side, as she thought my husband was uncontrollably drunk and at on point had me chasing her out of the room during dinner because she threatened to cut off the entire bar from anyone...the open bar that my father had paid for. After missing my wedding dinner and put to tears by her additude and tone, I felt completely furious with the Publick House for her disrespectfulness to who else but the bride and groom. So many of our guests commented to my parents on her unprofessional attire and additude. Its unfortunate that we will not return there for anniversaries or family dinners because of this turn of events. Even more dissapointing was the complete lack of follow up from ANYONE to thank us for the money we had spent and bussiness we had brougt them.

Sent on 02/08/2014