Publick House Historic Inn Reviews

Publick House Historic Inn 5
Publick House Historic Inn 6
Publick House Historic Inn 7

Melissa · Married on 04/14/2012

This venue was an excellent choice. They were very accommodating! Everyone there is very friendly and it was very clear that weddings are their business. Great job!

Sent on 04/23/2012

Nicole · Married on 12/02/2011

We chose The Publick House based on our very first visit. While we didn't have an exact wedding date in mind just yet, we went to see their outdoor reception tent and really liked it. When we went inside to discuss things in more detail, we came across pictures of The Publick House set up for Christmas & both of us immediately fell in love. My husband is a very easy going guy & didn't really have a set opinion on anything in regards to the wedding. I heard a lot of "whatever you want", but when we both saw this, he immediately turned around & said "This is it"! The rest of our wedding was planned around the winter/holiday theme because of this.

Throughout the whole planning process the Publick House was extremely helpful. They are true professionals and it is easy to see that they have been doing this for a very long time. Due to the distance from our home, and our hectic schedules, we never even saw what our wedding cake was going to look like until the actual wedding. It was absolutely gorgeous!! I can say the same for the decorations & even the food as well.

Sent on 04/04/2012

Robyn · Married on 10/30/2011

I wish I could give more than 5 stars for the Publick House! Our wedding was the morning after a record October snowstorm. Power lines were out and the Publick House pulled through for my husband and I. Not only did the run our reception off generators (with only 2 ovens and minimal lighting!), they were willing to host our ceremony if the church wasn't able to hold it! I honestly don't know how many venues would go above and beyond like that. We still had a beautiful reception and our friend and family were amazed at the service we had at the Publick House. The food was even just as delicious as if they had full power! I recommend the Publick House to anyone.

Sent on 11/01/2011

Andrea · Married on 10/08/2011

My experience working with the people at The Publick House went above and beyond my expectations. The sales team there, especially Lisa, was so quick to respond to any question I had throughout the entire planning process. Catherine and all the catering folks were awesome and the food there is out of this world. The day of, I had 2 fantastic people working right with me - Josh, our event coordinator (great sense of humor!) and Karlene, our wedding assistant. They both made the day run so smoothly and took care of everything, including hunting down scissors when I realized the tags were still on my wedding gown! If I were to ever have another special event, I would not hesitate to call The Publick House. I can't say enough good things about them!

Sent on 10/16/2011

Erin · Married on 09/24/2011

From the moment we pulled up to the Publick House I knew I had found the place! From the gorgeous grounds at the Hillside Gazebo, the the rustic ambiance of Paige Hall, the FANTASTIC staff, great food/drink, plenty of lodging and a pretty inclusive wedding package, what more could a bride to be ask for?!?!? I personally worked with Catherine and her assistant Lisa, but everyone in the sales office was patient, courteous, and a pleasure to work with when planning out all the fine details of my big day.

Would highly recommend the Publick House to any bride to be, you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 01/21/2012

Sarah · Married on 10/03/2010

The Publick House staff were fantastic from start to finish... In our first meeting we were given all of our options and shown around the beautiful facilities. At the tasting, we sampled every single dish we could choose for our wedding, we were shown examples of table settings and even got to tour the honeymoon suites. In our detail appointments, the staff were accommodating, professional and very easy to work with. They happily accommodated our changes to the menu and worked with us to get a hosted bar option we felt comfortable with. On the day, the staff were absolutely amazing, taking care of every detail - all we had to do was enjoy ourselves... and we did. Any food we didn't eat was delivered to our room; our gifts and decorations also were taken to our room for us. My dress was carried around the grounds by the bridal assistant Karen who also kept us supplied with champagne! The grounds were beautiful for photographs and both the Barn (ceremony) and Paige Hall (reception) looked beautiful. I can not recommend them highly enough. Oh, and the food was phenomenal.

Sent on 10/19/2010

jessica · Married on 09/11/2010

We got married 3 weeks ago at the Publick House in the Garden Tent and we couldn't be happier with how everything went! We had excellent service right up the date, being assisted by Cathy O'Brien. She was extremely helpful and pleasant to work with. She worked with us to be sure that all of our expectations for our big day were met. The day of the wedding, everything went smoothly. The tent was absolutely gorgeous, they executed our plans wonderfully. The landscaping was beautiful, providing a fantastic backdrop for photos. The gazebo was a perfect place to capture picture of our day. The food was excellent. We love love love the cinnamon rolls, which are part of the bread basket. We also thought our salad and entrees were delicious as well! We had attendants with us the entire evening, bringing us drinks, appetizers, helping to bustle my dress, etc. All in all, they day went exactly as we had hoped and there is not a thing that we would change! Thank you to all at the Publick House for helping us to have the perfect day!

Sent on 10/03/2010

Monica · Married on 09/04/2010

They were so helpful ! my wedding was amazing! i would recommed them to anyone looking for a beautiful outdoor wedding and tent reception!!!

Sent on 12/02/2010

Linda · Married on 10/17/2009

My wedding reception at the Publick House was extraordinary. From the first moment that I met with Catherine O'Brien of the Publick House she provide excellent service to me and my wedding planner.

The Banquet Manager, Josh, met with us twice prior to the reception to discuss all our request and The Publick House supported my every request. They went over and above by providing special food for my severe food allergy grandson. The baker even made special cupcakes with special frosting for the children so that my grandson would not feel left out by having something different. By the way, I got to sample the cupcakes and they were to die for.... very, very delicious.

Another request that was out of the ordinary was a special table/children play area be set up. The table was set up low to the floor (allowing the children to sit on the floor while they played), covered with a cloth and all the stuff that I provided for the kids was set out.... The thoughtfulness of the height of the table allowed even the smallest guests to enjoy themselves.

The food was excellent, many options to choose from. The service staff was excellent. We were treated like royalty... Nothing left out and nothing overlooked.
    We, on short notice, asked if there was a room available to assemble the centerpieces, they provided this.... we asked to be allowed to tie the napkins, they provided us with all that we needed to do this. We asked for a room where our guests to meet in the evening after the reception, they provided this. MY EVERY REQUEST WAS TAKEN CARE OF....

The Publick House provided my wedding cake... I gave them a picture of what I wanted and they did exactly what I requested. The cake was excellent in appearance and taste.

The Barn (where our cocktail hour was held), Paige Hall (where our reception was held) and the guest rooms at the Publick House are all great!

The Publick House gave me a list of recommended vendors and of the several that I chose to use, they all lived up or exceeded the recommendation.

The staff at The Publick House is exceptional, from the wait staff, to the Banquet Manager to Catherine O'Brien. Even though there were other events taking place before, after and during our reception, I never felt it. I feel that we were treated like we were the only people in the entire place.

I would HIGHLY recommend The Publick House for any event.

Sent on 11/04/2009

Kaila · Married on 09/05/2009

The Publick House made it so stress free to plan my wedding with them and even helped me talk to other vendors if I had issues. I would recommend to anyone to plan their wedding with the Publick House! I was able to enjoy my entire day and night and every single guest RAVED about the food, especially because we subsituted the cake for apple crisp! My vendors found it easy to work with them as well which made it equally stress free for me!

Sent on 09/22/2009

Stacie · Married on 09/19/2008

Amazing food, the guests couldn't stop talking about the freshness and the immense portions. The service was impecable. As bride and groom you feel like royalty. I would highly recommend the Publick House for a wedding, a romantic getaway, or just date night. What a beautiful place!

Sent on 11/04/2008

L · Married on 06/16/2017

Thank you for the experience! We got married in Paige Hall with the Barn and Patio for the Cocktail hour. It POURED our wedding day, but we moved the ceremony indoors and it worked just as well. The whole building has so much history and built in character that no matter where your ceremony or reception is, it will be a beautiful experience. The staff know what they are doing. For my wedding they handled all the set up with any outside vendors (the band especially) and I just got to enjoy the day. Food is delicious (orchard chicken, clam chowder, bakery goods for free in the morning!) I recommend them, simple as that. Your guests will be happy they can walk to their rooms and you will be happy with the service and location. (Also, pricing is very flexible depending on date, number of guests and meals chosen)

Sent on 06/25/2017

Giselle · Married on 04/29/2017

The Publick House is an absolutely incredible wedding venue!!!!!!!!!! We were blown away by how smoothly our wedding day went. The staff is AMAZING! Wedding team was amazing, they were flexible about our outdoor ceremony, and answered all my questions during the planning process. The only reason I didn't put 5 stars for responsiveness is to be clear that you shouldn't expect the wedding staff full attention until about 1 month leading up to your wedding, since they do 2-5 weddings a weekend, so it is a busy place. This is to be expected for a venue like this. Even though there were tons of other events going on during our wedding day, I still felt like we were the only ones, the wedding day staff was so attentive and well prepared. Anthony and Danielle are INCREDIBLE! They went above and beyond to make our wedding day perfect. You are in good hands with the staff- and you won't have to think or stress about anything else. It is a beautiful, charming and rustic venue and we cannot wait to return for anniversaries to come!!!

Sent on 05/24/2017

Maureen · Married on 07/09/2016

We had our rehearsal dinner and wedding in the Publick House in July, 2016. The staff was always attentive and responsive during the entire planning process and both events were wonderful. We highly recommend the Publick House to anyone getting married.

Sent on 08/07/2016

Daniel · Married on 10/12/2015

My wife and I had our ceremony and reception at the PH this past October. Overall, the experience was fantastic, the PH provided everything we wanted for our wedding and more!
    The atmosphere at the PH is incredible. Everywhere you look is overflowing with cozy rustic charm. The staff there are awesome as well; from our first meeting with our liaison to our experience with each of the serving staff on the night of the wedding, we always had the feeling that the PH was taking care of everything. Their planning process, which will include several meetings as well as an informational worksheet or two was always clear and easy. There is also a buffet style tasting event about 6 months before your wedding to give you an opportunity to try many of the options on the dinner menu. We also always felt that the staff were receptive to any questions or requests we had.
    We booked a weekday wedding package and felt that the value was excellent. Our package included a 1 hour open bar during the cocktail hour, a bridal suite for me and my wife the night after our wedding, the wedding cake, and various other items like our champagne flutes and cake cutting utensils etc. For dinner we selected the Roasted Turkey and Baked Scrod, and had many compliments from our guests on how tasty the meal was.
    The only reason I did not give the PH 5 stars across the board was that, when it was time to select our final choices for our dinner, it came to our realization that all of the red meat entrees were an additional fee per order! This would not have been as big an issue if we were clearly told up front, and when we looked back in the literature we had been given earlier it did indeed mention the additional fee in the fine print, but it still felt a bit deceptive to us, especially after we tried the tenderloin at the tasting and it was our favorite!
    All in all though, our experience at the PH was great. Do yourself a favor and give them a call if you are planning your wedding!

Sent on 12/08/2015
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 11/17/2012

The Publick House was amazing, our wedding was everything we could have asked for and so much more. The staff was amazing from day one all the way through the wedding. Honestly, I never expected planning a wedding from AZ to have in MA would be so easy, they were flexible and were there every step of the way!!!!

Sent on 11/28/2012
  • Paige

Paige Tuttle · Married on 04/13/2019

Magical Wedding Day!

We had an amazing experience at this venue. We had our wedding in the off season (April) during a weekend day and were able to upgrade our dishes and add more food/drink options to the cocktail hour. Our whole wedding day was well coordinated and our day-of managers made everything run smoothly. Our indoor wedding in Paige Hall was perfect; it fit my expectation for a rustic/barn appeal and comfortably fit our medium-sized 85 person wedding. The weather was beautiful; guests were able to mill around outside during the cocktail hour and we got some beautiful pictures. The venue is handicap accessible, they accommodate food allergies (gluten-free, dairy-free, etc) and made my wedding cake to my specifications. We recommend the scrod and lamb for dishes and to spend more money on upgrading food rather than spending money on tablecloth/napkin colors. The bridal party has access to the library before/during the wedding but I rented a room the night before so I would have a room with a bathroom to get ready in with my bridesmaids. Overall, a great value venue with professional staff and delicious food; it was truly a magical day!

Sent on 05/04/2019

Kelly · Married on 02/17/2019

Wedding 2/17/2019

Jim and I were married 2/172019. The venue was top notch. The staff were caring and competent. Shauna was professional and I felt like we were in the very best of hands when planning our wedding. The food was delicious, just like you would have in the restaurant. The cake was a beautiful 4 tier master piece which was delicious as well. My wedding was the best wedding! It was more than I ever could’ve dreamed of, Publick House exceeded my expectations and that of my family and friends. Everyone has been telling us what a great time was had by all at our wedding. Thank you Publick House Sturbridge, from the bottom of my heart for helping us create memories that will certainly last a life time.

Sent on 02/27/2019

Katherine · Married on 09/23/2017

My husband and I were married at the Publick House on 9/23/17 with our ceremony in the meadow and our reception in Paige Hall. From the get go, we loved this venue. We knew we would have guests traveling from all over the country and wanted to give them a New England experience. We also liked that all of the wedding events including the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner would be centralized at the Publick House. All of the food including the baked goods is also incredible at the Publick House and that was a huge win for us. Overall, from the planning to the tasting and the event itself, we had a great experience with the venue and everyone that worked there. My wedding sales manager, Amber, was very responsive and helpful throughout the planning process. We felt well taken care of leading up to the wedding and throughout the day of the wedding. My vendors expressed how much they enjoy working with the Publick House, and many of my guests expressed how excellent the wait staff was. On the evening of the wedding (since it was a morning wedding), we had an impromptu gathering of about 21 guests wanting to all eat together and the Publick House even managed to seat us all in the Pineapple Room and separate payments as needed. If that isn't accommodating, I don't know what is. I'm thankful that we chose such an excellent venue to have our wedding at, and one that all of our guests loved too. Thank you!

Sent on 10/07/2017

Melissa · Married on 12/17/2016

My husband and I used the Publick House because we wanted a venue where our guests could have a great time, eat great food, dance, have an amazing afterparty, and then crash on-site. The all-inclusive aspect of the Publick House made it much, much easier both for us to plan from afar, as well as for our guests to commit to being there for us (half of our guests were from out of town). The Publick House has a renowned bakery on-site, so we didn't even have to worry about finding a cake vendor.

We brought our own welcome bags, and the front desk management was super accommodating in making sure that guests received them, even if they weren't booked under our wedding block. We also had a full (fake) Christmas tree for our wedding favors (ornaments), which the PH staff set up for us before the Cocktail Hour. It looked absolutely gorgeous next to the place cards.

We had an off-site ceremony, and then had our Cocktail Hour in the Barn and our reception in Paige Hall. The Christmas decorations and setup for both were absolutely stunning-- the whole night felt magical. The cocktail hour was well-stocked, the bar is perfectly placed right at the entrance to the reception hall and the Barn, and the setup of the place cards and guest book was stunning. We were also able to place our photo booth right at the other side of the bar, so our guests never wandered too far and were able to jump right back on the dance floor after snapping a few pictures.

The cottage was perfect for the after party: we would highly, highly recommend booking that so that you can move the party up the hill, instead of carting everyone off to a bar or ending the night at 11 pm. We were able to bring our own alcohol and snacks, but we ordered pizza from the Publick House itself. I don't think our friends and family left the place until after 2 or 3 am!

The cake was delicious, the staff super helpful, and the wedding coordinators super experienced. We had the time of our lives!

Sent on 12/27/2016

Meaghan · Married on 05/22/2016

My husband and I got married at the Publick House Historic Inn in Sturbridge, MA in May 2016. We first visited the venue because of it's outdoor options, all-inclusive wedding packages, and reputation for great food, and as soon as we were greeted by the sales team, we knew our wedding would be in great hands at the Publick House. That turned out to be true as the Publick House staff went above and beyond for us throughout the planning process and the wedding itself. Lisa and her sales team were extremely helpful throughout our planning process to answer all of our questions and ensure that every detail was covered. The series of planning meetings and the tasting event with the team allowed us to discuss ideas for food, decor, entertainment, and more with people who have the wedding experience to know what works and what doesn't. They paved the way with some "homework" to ensure that we stayed on top of our planning. Lisa and the sales team made themselves available and were always responsive to our emails and phone calls. At the rehearsal and on the day of our wedding, our banquet manager, Kristin, and her team of bridal assistants made sure that everything was orchestrated perfectly. Kristin and her team worked closely with our pastor, ceremony musicians, photographer, DJs, and florist to ensure that our ceremony and reception ran smoothly. The team set up the venue beautifully, the tent looked perfect, just as we imagined. They made sure that my husband and I (along with our attendants and parents) had everything we needed, while still keeping us close to our schedule. The food was delicious for both cocktail hour and dinner, and many of our guests raved about our cake (baked in-house). Kris and her team didn't miss a beat, quickly springing into action when we thought we were missing a ceremony reading. They made sure all of our guests had a great time, and everyone was well taken care of. Many thanks to the Publick House team! If you want to pull of the wedding

Sent on 06/08/2016

Kristen · Married on 05/20/2016

The Publick House has multiple packages that will work for almost any budget that a couple has. Almost everything you can think of can be included in a wedding package, so it is very customize-able. They are also very flexible and willing to work around a lot of special requests. I had a very nontraditional wedding and reception due to the fact that my mother had passed away and none of my immediate family came, and the event staff made me feel very accomodated considering I wanted nothing to do with many reception traditions. Also, the event staff was always there when I need ANYTHING. If my drink was empty, they were right there with a new one, and they even fixed my dress when a guest stepped on the hem and ripped my bustle. The Bridal suite was beautiful as well. Overall, I loved the Publick House.

Sent on 05/31/2016

The publick house was great overall. The food was amazing, the venue is great. The only complaint we had was during the planning process you were handed off to different people at different times depending on how far out you were from your wedding. For example during the planning process you meet with one person, after the tasting you are turned over to another, then two days before given to someone else that runs that day itself. While we understand that concept so they have backups to their backups we found it annoying when you wanted to ask questions then got bounced around to the person that was responsible at that time. We fell they should give you a point person for everything. Just so you have a single point of contact. But for everything else they were awesome. The other unique thing they offer is they have hotel accommodations on property which was huge for us since 80% of our guests were from out of town. They were great!!

Sent on 04/20/2016

One of the best decisions we made was having our wedding at the Publick House. Everyone on the wedding team was great from the beginning. We worked with Lisa and she was so responsive and so helpful throughout the entire process. Our guests were all in love with the venue and complimented everything from the décor to the food to the staff throughout the day. We got married under the Garden Tent and it was gorgeous. Everyone loved the permanent draping inside the tent and it’s a great way to make the space your own.

Sent on 11/10/2015

Nickie · Married on 06/20/2015

The Publick House was amazing place to get married. They are very prompt in getting back to you and cater to all of your food allergies. They are very professional. Cathy who is the director of catering and sales is great to work with and very helpful! They even give you a person bridal assistance to do the running around at your wedding. Weddings are definitely their thing. They do a great a great job. Their wedding packages are excellent to including : a tasting of not only the food but the cake and they also have vendors there for you to meet, a free night stay and breakfast at the inn to use anytime!

Sent on 06/25/2015