Providence Divine Cakes & Pastries Reviews

1 User photo

• Malerie & Jason

Malerie · Married on 06/25/2011

4.2

My family used to own a bakery, so it was crucial that I had an amazing wedding cake. After consultations with two other bakeries, I was so relieved when I found Providence. She showed us tons of pictures to figure out exactly what we wanted, and the cake itself was TO DIE FOR!!! It was great, other than one detail that was missed on the cake design, and I would recommend her, if you don't mind that they lacked some organization and communication.

**On a side note-- please make sure you keep the board that the cake is delivered on. I was not told I needed to keep it (too many other things to worry about during my wedding anyway) and it's a $50 charge for not returning it!! That was a shocker that I wasn't too happy about!

Sent on 07/19/2011

3.0

Overall, my husband and I were incredibly satisfied with the cake we received from Providence for our wedding. It was exactly what we ordered and it tasted delicious. The only small issue we had was in regards to responsiveness - the owner will be the first to admit that she doesn't check her email very often, so that leaves either phone or in-person appointments (and bridal appointments are only on Mondays). That being said, we had a couple "special requests" with our cake, each of which the bakery was very flexible with, and was able to incorporate into our wedding cake.

Sent on 06/07/2015

Kelly · Married on 06/30/2012

3.0

Our cake was absolutely delicious. We got a ton of comments from guests at the wedding how delicious the cake was. And it looked exactly like the picture we wanted it modeled after. They have a ton of different options to choose from. In the first meeting, we got to try a few different options we were considering, which made the decision much easier. They are able to make beautiful cakes without using fondant, and instead use delicious buttercream. They also have sheet cakes available that mock your wedding cake if you’re looking to save a little money, which we were (they would rather you do that than buy grocery store sheet cakes and pass them off as Providence cakes). The decorations they are able to create are outstanding. Another plus is that they deliver (for a fee of course). They will also make you a 1-year anniversary “top tier” so that you don’t have to freeze the original.

The only issue we had was with contacting the owner, who originally met with us regarding everything and was great then. They have a "no re-consultations" policy, so I would make sure you know exactly what you want when you go for your initial meeting. When we first met, I wasn't sure about the exact design I wanted for the cake, so we decided on something, I then changed my mind within the week (still about 6 months out from the wedding). When I went back to discuss the change, I couldn't talk to the owner even though she was there because of their policy, so a staff member had to walk between me and the owner in the back to communicate each message. I gave them a picture, and they originally said they wouldn't do the colors I wanted because they didn't match my wedding colors. I still wanted that cake though, so I had to keep stating I wanted it even though it didn’t match the wedding colors. They finally agreed. Kind of strange.

Bottom line: customer service is f

Sent on 09/08/2012

Nikki · Married on 04/29/2012

The cake was beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 10/22/2012

3.8
      2.5

I have never actually enjoyed wedding cake before but every guest not only mentioned it but raved about how delicious it was! I highly recommend the black and white cake as the cheesecake adds a whole new level to the cake. They do get a little picky regarding extra decorations and the cost of them but the cake is so good it's worth it

Sent on 11/12/2014

Catherine · Married on 07/23/2011

3.8
      3.0

Providence cakes are to die for, however the service at the bakery is to be desired. After our meeting with Providence, it took THREE months to receive a contract in the mail. Once we got it; there were errors and it took another few weeks to get that adjusted. While I was waiting for the contract (I was told it would take 1 month), the girls in the front acted like I was stupid for calling about it to make sure it didn't get lost or anything. Also, the day before my wedding I received a phone call from the bakery telling me that they cannot use the flowers that I have provided. I asked if they could just figured it out....this wasn't really what I wanted to deal with the day before my wedding.....they are the professionals in the business, not me.....they did figure it out and the cake was gorgeous.
    If you're willing to wait forever for an appointment and then another few months for a contract and deal with some snotty phone calls and a delicious cake, then Providence is your place for your wedding cake!

Sent on 08/18/2011

3.6
      1.0

We ordered several cakes for our wedding from Providence instead of ordering a wedding cake. We weren't able to meet for a consultation (totally inflexible hours!!!) and their prices were so high for a wedding cake that we decided to just order 5 12" cakes to feed 150 people. We have over half left of each still in our freezer - you get way more than you pay for so we recommend going that route if you don't want a tiered cake (or don't care either way).

Why all the hassle? Their cakes are hands down the best in the York/Harrisburg area.

Sent on 11/07/2013

John · Married on 09/09/2010

1.8
      1.0

I had heard through word-of-mouth that Providence Cakes were one of the best in the area. I was disappointed to find that they do not have a web site. What professional business in this day and age does not own at least a very simple web site. I discovered that the owner, Providence Spotts had a Facebook page, and proceeded to message her my questions regarding wedding cake testings that way... Never received a response. My last attempt was to visit the bakery itself. I, my fiance, and my mother went in to the bakery to ask about the process of setting up a cake tasting. It just so happened that it was my birthday in the coming week as well, so we wanted to order a simple cake for that as well. The girl at the counter was VERY rude, and short with her answers, stating that to order a cake, we would have needed to do so much earlier, and that we had better be "prepared" with ideas if we decided to do a wedding cake consult with Providence because she does not like when a couple comes unprepared. Aside from the terrible staff (I can only speak for the one employee who waited on us), the cake itself was not good. The butter cream frosting tasted to me like frosting mixed with a tub of margarine. Too buttery - not sweet! I also ordered a specific flavor for my cake, and could not taste that flavor whatsoever. Overall, I was terribly disappointed, as I went into the ordeal excited about my future wedding cake! What a way to be treated.

Sent on 11/12/2010

Robin · Married on 04/04/2011

1.6
      0.5
      2.0

I really wanted to use Providence Cakes based on a referral and also because the look of the cakes are gorgeous. BUT....after 4 weeks of dealing with trying to finalize everything I decided that the lack of customer service I received is the reason I will not go forward with an order. If your first impression is not good and you feel there is a lack of service on follow up and your gut keeps telling you something is off... listen!

Sent on 04/22/2011

1.4
      1.0

Worst vendor of my wedding experience... We paid for our cake in full when we signed the agreement. When we called with the final count, which was spot on with the agreement, we were told that due to the increased cost of flour and other products we had to pay an additional $100. Then, they were given a window of time to deliver the cake but instead arrived a half hour after the latest time; therefore setting up when our guests were enjoying cocktail hour. That wouldn't be an issue but I had multiple guest tell me how rude they were to them, telling them to "move out of our way" and wearing an old tee shirt with many holes in it (one guest took pictures). Next, the design of the cake was not at all what we chose from her designs. If it didn't match our color scheme we would have thought it was someone else's cake. We also had to move up our cake cutting because of photographer noticed the cake was actually falling apart. Luckily, a friend is a baker and was able to work with our caterers to salvage the cake for pictures. When I returned the rods and plates I asked to speak with Providence and was told she was unavailable. They wrote down a message for her to call me. Three days later, no call so I called. They said she had the original message but they'd take another. The next week, still no call so I called again and she answered but rushed me off the phone, asking me to email the pictures. No reply after a week so I emailed again. Finally a reply but refused to do anything. I gave up the fight after that but want to make sure no other bride has to go through this stress. Even our wedding planner said she would make sure other couples she worked with didn't waste their money on her services.

Sent on 01/06/2016

Connie · Married on 08/14/2010

0.0

The Yorktowne Hotel required I used Providence for my wedding cake. So many people raved on the quality of Providence cakes, I didn't request a change. However, no one warned me they will DELIVER THE WRONG CAKE the day of the wedding. No follow-up with me to apologize, either. They DROPPED AND RAN. Apparently, I wasted hours driving in from Philadelphia to pick a perfect wedding cake - colors, shapes, layers, flavors, flowers, etc. A generic white circular cake sat on a table at the reception. No pretty purple square layers. I even went in to the shop a few days before the wedding to confirm everything was a go and drop off my cake topper. They showed me the paper outlining all of the details I spent hours defining with Providence stapled to the sample pictures. They later told the Yorktowne staff I never picked out my cake. To DENY they screwed up is even more UNPROFESSIONAL! NEVER USE PROVIDENCE!

Sent on 01/26/2011