Polka Dot Events Reviews

14 | Wilmington, NC

14 Reviews for Polka Dot Events

Jeff · Married on 06/05/2010

I could not have done it without Polka Dot Wedding and Event Planning. They took care of all the party details in a timely manner. The end result was a beautiful, smooth, great party.

Sent on 06/08/2010

Kelly · Married on 05/08/2010

Hiring Allison was one of the best investments we made in our wedding! I seriously don't know how we could have done it with out her, especially the day of the wedding. Allison is extremely professional, organized and full of great ideas. She was always available to answer my questions and was always very gracious when I called her with pre-wedding stressing. Allison and her assistant Jacqueline made our wedding day completely stress free and they took care of everything, down to the little details. Her vendor recommendations were amazing and truly made all the difference! I was hesitant to hire a wedding planner at the beginning, but it was seriously one of the best decisions I could have made and I would recommend her services to anyone!!!!

Sent on 05/25/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Thank you so much! We loved working with you and your family and had an amazing time at your wedding. We wish you all the best!

L · Married on 04/10/2010

I had the privilege of working with Allison Spivey for my wedding on April 10, 2010.

I contacted Allison after my engagement and she had less than 5 months to plan before the big day! She immediately started calling reception venues as well as florists, caterers etc. Oh! I also have to mention that I got married in NC and she was long distance planning from FL the entire time, but it was as if she was right here with me. She stayed in contact with me often, letting me know the status of things involving the wedding/reception and costs of things.

Thankfully I am only getting married once (haha) but if I did do it again, there would be no hesitation who I would call to help me plan!

Sent on 05/06/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Thank you Laura! It was such a pleasure to work with you. Good luck to you and Devon!
  • tschmidt826

Taylor · Married on 03/27/2010

Allison was the best thing I ever did for the wedding!!! She was so easy to work with and so professional!! She truly took charge and made the best recommendations. It was too the point that I trusted Allison with everything. Thank you Allison for everything you did to make my wedding day perfect.

~Jeff and Taylor

Sent on 04/18/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Thank you Taylor and Jeff! We had the best time working with you and wish you the best in your future life together!

Jalak · Married on 07/04/2009

Allison is an exceptional indivdual with great experience. She did an excellent job and was very easy to work with.

Sent on 07/27/2009

Thank you!!!!!

Andrea · Married on 03/07/2009

Polk Dot Wedding & Event Planning was extremely helpful in making our special day successful. Allison helped to make the vision I had for my wedding come to life. She made sure that the wedding day was relaxing and stress free for me and my mom so we could just sit back and enjoy the day. Thank you again for everything.

Sent on 04/01/2009

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Thank you! We hope you both are doing well!

Amanda · Married on 03/16/2008

Allison is so sweet and very down to earth. She was always available to me, to answer any questions. She gave excellent advice and made my wedding day very relaxing. She went out of her way to do little extras and my wedding was beautiful! I would refer her to anyone.

Sent on 11/28/2008
  • Pri

Priscilla · Married on 12/12/2009

The girls were great. Fun, sweet, young, calming, great girls. they worked with me within my budget and helped me get on track. If anything went wrong I never knew about it. The one negative thing i would say was that the day of i couldn't find Allison anywhere, i felt like i was running all over the place looking for her during the reception. The hotel catering manager had to help me out of my wedding dress because no one knew where she was. But remember, nothing in life is perfect and Polka Dot Weddings really made my day look like a beautiful dream, way prettier than what I imagined. Other than the "where's Waldo" moment i had at the reception, i would totally recommend her to any bride.

Sent on 12/21/2009

Pri,
    We really enjoyed working with you. Such a happy bride with a fun spirit. Good luck to you both!

Pamela · Married on 02/27/2010

3.0

My wedding planner turned my groom into a believer! When I hired Allison with Polka Dot Weddings, my groom thought I was just wasting my money. He felt I could plan the entire wedding and save us a few bucks. When I tell you by the end of the wedding night he was thanking and complimenting Allison and Jackie and apologizing to me for the criticism, I nearly died with laughter. Allison was absolutely wonderful. If you have read any of my prior reviews you will notice most of the vendors have 5 star reviews well that is because they were referrals from my wedding planner. I have no complaints for my wedding day. During the process we played phone tag at times but nothing that would make you not want to work with her. I had the best time any bride could ask for and it rained on my wedding day! She is so sweet and patient. I may have cancelled the wedding twice, changed venues in the midst of planning, and changed the date a million times but all along she was there to get me through it all. She was not only a planner but a friend during this process. I moved out of the state during the planning process as well and she held down the fort while I was gone. I had no worries. She went out and got all the things I forgot the day before the wedding and completed my place cards despite my promises to do it on my own. I just showed up and took pictures on my wedding day and she made sure there was nothing I had to worry about. She got me some of the best deals in town. My wedding looked like it cost a million dollars but was really well under $20k. She didn't make me feel bad about being on a budget either. I had a wedding planner before her that was determined to spend money I didn't have and was very overbearing. I didn't get that from Allison. She was great. I'm sad I won't be working with her anymore. Everyone had nothing but good things to say about her professional manner during the wedding. She even made sure I got the top of my cake by the end of the night. (I hear a lot of brides forget that). I loved working with Allison, Polka Dot Weddings was awesome!

Sent on 03/12/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

You are so sweet! We will miss working with you so please keep in touch! Good luck to you both!!!!

Karla · Married on 02/21/2010

i had hired allison for my wedding which was a destination wedding. during the planning there were little bumps but she was great with the vendors she recomended that were in my budget. also she took care of all the rentals and saw the vision i had for my wedding. everything was great and look like i had dream that day would be. i didnt have to worry about anything she was on top of everything and was always available. I was so happy I got to dance all night and not worry about a thing my husband and I were very pleased with her work.

Sent on 03/02/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Thank you Karla! We will never forget Anhony's amazing break-dancing! What a great reception!

Sarah · Married on 02/06/2010

Allison planned our wedding at Tampa Bay Watch on 2/6/2010. Overall our experience with Allison was very positive. Throughout the process of planning our wedding Allison helped us the whole time. She gave advice, helped me pick out a wedding dress and helped to pick an amazing venue. We used the photographer, dj-who also did our lighting and florist she recommended and they were all amazing! We always felt like Allison was very available to us even when out of town. If she was busy or in a meeting she would always respond quickly.

The only hurdle we faced was with our save the dates. It took quite a long time to get them and after they were mailed we realized the web address for the wedding website was wrong. Allison did her best to rectify the issue and everything else went great.

The day before our wedding my husband was in a car accident. The rehearsal and dinner were canceled. Allison came to the hospital to check on us and was so supportive. She took extra time on the day of the wedding to go through and have a mini rehearsal with both the guys and the girls to help us make it right and we were so happy with the help she gave us.

The day of our wedding was very cold and windy which threw a little curve ball in our plans. Allison adapted quickly and she made the necessary changes to make the day great. The ceremony was gorgeous despite the wind and so memorable but the reception was incredible. Allison suggested led up-lighting which our dj Curtis provided. We were a little hesitant because of the cost but besides picking my husband and Allison it was the best decision made regarding our wedding. Our reception looked amazing and our guests are still raving. The reception looked like something out of a wedding magazine and you never would have known it was all done on a budget.

We would recommend Allison to anyone who is getting married. She truly took the stress out of the planning.

Sent on 03/27/2010

Polka Dot Events's reply:

We are so happy that Matt is OK and everyone made it to such a wonderful wedding day! Thank you for the review. We miss you!!!

Alana · Married on 04/26/2008

Allison and her assistant were very helpful and provided wonderful service for me on my wedding day. Everything ran smoothly and I was not worried or stressed about anything because they handled it all.

Sent on 10/30/2008
  • John

John · Married on 07/05/2009

1.0

I met with and hired Allison who seemed to be very nice and well organized only for "day of" services for the date of my wedding. I did all planning and organization for the entire day myself and Allison's job was to make sure things ran smoothly for rehearsal and the day of the wedding and reception. It was not until the week of my wedding that I started to feel that Allison's attitude was less than positive.

She was supposed to attend my final walk through with the staff of the wedding venue with me the week of but due to a car accident she could not make it at the last minute. I understand things like this happen and it was not a big deal. The day of my rehearsal, she showed up immediately complaining about how hot it was and shouting orders and questions to my family and friends. She also acted annoyed that the manager of the wedding venue did not have time to meet with her since she did not show up to the final walk through with me due to her accident. She also approached my photographer who was present and barraged him about why he had not called her back the previous day. I was floored by this as he happened to be one of my closest friends.

The day of my wedding numerous things went wrong with seating arrangements and chair setup, but I did a lot of running around up and down stairs while I supposed to be sitting getting my hair and makeup done because things were not being done as they should or others were not able to make the decisions that needed to be made. When my cake arrived it was in very poor shape and had melted. I tried to keep a positive attitude because what can really be done at that point to fix it anyway? Mean while Allison made comments to me such as "that's why I told you not to hire a friend to do your cake". What exactly does a comment like that do for someone who is standing in their wedding dress waiting to get married?

Overall Allison was very negative, did a lot of sitting around looking irritated and was blatantly rude to many of my vendors and family and friends.

I must say however, that her assistant, Melissa, was wonderful, pleasant, caring and kind. On numerous occasions during and after the ceremony she told me how beautiful I looked and seems to really mean it. She was also constantly asking me how I was doing and was just a very kind person over all.

I would not recommend Allison or use her again. I would recommend Melissa and use her again.

**PLEASE NOTE: contrary to what was stated below by Alison with Polka Dot Weddings, I was contacted numerous times by Wedding Wire and was required to fax them a copy of my contract with Alison prior to them allowing my review to be viewed as public on this site. It's terrible that she would lie about working my wedding and if anyone would like to see pictures of her at my wedding, or view my contract with her please feel free to contact me via this site. Wedding Wire is very careful with checking for false negative reviews, however, BEWARE they do not check the validity of positive reviews!!

Sent on 07/27/2009

Polka Dot Events's reply:

Please note that Polka Dot Wedding & Event Planning was not the coordinator for this wedding. We have never had contact with this bride and feel that this response was made by a "fake" or "made up" wedding wire account user. We have no control over the vendors who are allowed to create "bride" accounts and post negative comments on other vendors in order to place themselves higher on the list. Please take into account our other reviews, as you will see, they are all happy brides!!!!

0.4
      0.5

Missed appointments, total fiasco from start to finish. Didn't follow through etc.

Sent on 02/06/2015