Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2016 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2015 Winner

Deanna Married on 12/14/2019

She did an amazing job!

Charla did an exceptional job altering my wedding gown! She was quick with the original consult, quick with the alterations, saved the extra lace she cut off for me, and fairly priced! When she was done my wedding dress fit like it was made just for me! I highly recommend her!
  • Amanda
    Amanda Married on 12/15/2018

Dream Come True!

Charla is amazing! I brought my grandmother's (and mother's) dress to her to be altered and modernized into my dream dress. I brought her a few pictures from Pinterest, and she literally created my dream dress! It is absolutely stunning! She took such good care of me throughout the process. She has such a kind, caring heart. I was even more grateful when she helped me when I had a small accident when I got home and tried my dress on again. I tore a small hole in the very delicate fabric. Charla made room in her very busy schedule pretty much immediately to fix my mistake. My veil is also by her design! cannot recommend her work enough!
    Gabriella Married on 06/11/2016
    Charla was an absolute pleasure to work with and I would highly recommend her to anyone looking to alter a new wedding dress or revamp a vintage treasure. A few months prior to the wedding, I had to begin some medical treatment that required the insertion of an IV port in my chest. I had already bought a strapless dress and was very anxious to figure out how I could alter the dress to cover the port & my medical dressings so that it looked like a fashionable, intentional part of the dress. I had literally been having nightmares about the whole thing, but when I met with Charla she put me at ease. I told her I wanted to make it a one-shoulder dress and to lower the back for some more drama. Luckily, Charla already had the exact same lace from my dress (Viera by Sottero & Midgley) that was scrapped from an old sample dress from Urban Set Bride (also HIGHLY recommended) that needed to be retired. On the front, she used two layers of organza as the base on which to overlay the lace and add beading to match the rest of the dress. The dress originally had a built-in corset, but she removed it and lowered the back, and used organza ribbon overlaid with more lace to continue the one strap in the back. Long story short, she did some MAJOR alterations to the dress and I love it even more than when I first bought it. She even let me have some more of the lace from Viera to decorate my toms shoes. Furthermore, her pricing is very reasonable and despite the major changes to my dress, the alterations were well within my budget. Charla is extremely talented and has an excellent eye for detail, not to mention she is very kind and fun to work with. I would highly recommend Charla for any and all of your alteration/dress creation needs!
    Libby Married on 06/04/2016
    I had a great experience working with Charla on my wedding dress alterations and would highly recommend her services. I bought my dress at Urban Set Bride and only needed a few tweaks and a bustle and belt added. Charla did a great job on my dress, but I was most impressed with her help with my veil. I wanted to wear my mom's veil which had yellowed a good bit and was attached to a headpiece. Charla removed the veil and put it on a comb and was able to clean it up so that it looked beautiful. In addition, working with Charla was easy. She is friendly, professional, and a true master craftsman.
    Kathryn Married on 04/30/2016
    Charla is a magician. I wanted to wear the dress that my grandmother and mother had worn for their weddings, but I needed someone to make some really huge alterations to it. I came across Charla as a recommended seamstress on Urban Set Bride's website, and then found that she specializes in recreating vintage dresses. I set up an appointment with her knowing that she was going to be perfect for me, but dreading what it was going to cost me to be be able to wear a new version of my family dress. I should not have worried. Charla charged me (much) less than what I would have paid for a brand new dress, and totally deconstructed and reconstructed my dress into literally exactly what I wanted. In the beginning, I showed her a photo of what I wanted my dress to resemble, and she created a dress that was even better. Throughout the whole process - months of work - Charla made me feel comfortable voicing my opinion, though she usually knew what I wanted before I even knew what I wanted. At several different times, she could have taken the easy way out on some alterations, but always did what was best, even when it meant hours of extra work for her. She was always pleasant, fun, and professional - truly a joy to work with. I could not be happier with her or with my dress. Any bride would be wise to put their faith in Charla (especially one who wants to wear a vintage or antique dress!).
    Chelsea Married on 04/09/2016
    Charla was a dream to work with! She created an illusion top for my strapless wedding dress and added beautiful lace detailing to the top as well. She went above and beyond what I had envisioned! She also provided alterations for my dress and it fit like a glove! I was so thrilled with Charla's work and can't thank her enough!!
  • User2499473 2+ years ago
    Charla was fantastic to work with. She altered my dress from BHLDN and created a really interesting bustle. She was so nice and easy to work with and made sure my dress looked beautiful!
  • User2370621 2+ years ago
    Charla is professional and delightful to work with. I highly recommend her for alterations and additions to your wedding gown!
    Ally Married on 08/15/2015
    Charla is a patient genius. I think I had five fittings when it was all said and done and she was so sweet and flexible and understanding at each and every one of them-and her work is impeccable!! I had a lot of things tweaked on my dress and she ran with all of my ideas and made it *perfect*. I'm a total perfectionist and chose a pretty form-fitting gown, so Charla had to deal with all of my little concerns and she was just so reassuring and confident and tireless. We joked that she was going to miss my dress because she had gotten to know it so well! She's also really quick to respond via e-mail and will talk you off the cliff if you have any dress-related worries. I just can't say enough great things about her because not only did she ensure that I would look beautiful on the big day, she was also my therapist through the whole process and I'm forever grateful!

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Thank you sweet Ally, you are the reason I do what I do!!
    Ashley Married on 08/12/2015
    It's as if Charla waved her magic wand to transform my mother's dress from the 1980s into the gorgeous boho style dress of my dreams! My gown had every detail I'd hoped for while still being lightweight enough for our Caribbean venue. Thank you, Charla, for making our big day even more special! Your talent is unmatched!
    Crystal Married on 07/21/2015
    Charla was amazing!! I was a bride that was planning my wedding from another state and dress alterations were impossible to do from so far away. I was in Richmond ONE WEEK before my wedding and Charla was able to alter my gown in TWO DAYS. It was completely astonishing and everything was perfect. My dress fit like a glove and the veil she made me was beautiful!!! Charla was very helpful, kind and her work was gorgeous! I would recommend her to anyone looking for a knowledgeable and trustworthy seamstress. She is awesome!

-Crystal
  • User1963868 2+ years ago
    Charla does top quality work for a fraction of the cost of any bridal store.
    Susan Married on 04/08/2015
    Charla was fabulous! She altered my wedding dress and added a bustle. She worked incredibly quickly (just one fitting), and the dress was exactly as I wanted it, all for an incredibly reasonable price. We discussed options for more extensive alterations and I was impressed with her honesty--she said she could do them, but it would cost a lot more and wouldn't make a huge difference and that I'd be better off going with the simple alterations. And she was right--the dress fit perfectly. I had a minor problem after I picked up the dress (lost a hook), but she was happy to fix it right away, and was very flexible to pick up the dress nearby.

I was a bridesmaid recently and had a bad experience having that dress altered (4x the cost and time, and not a great result), so I was prepared for a headache. Charla was an incredibly pleasant surprise--she was warm, caring, reasonable, quick, and did a great job. What more could you ask for?

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Thank you so much, Susan. You were a joy to work with!
    Jessica Married on 03/27/2015
    Charla is truly amazing. She did the alterations on my dress, the bustle, and made my veil and hair piece. She did a fantastic job on all of it and she is more than reasonable on her pricing! I am going to go to her for the alterations on my bridesmaids dresses too!

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Thank you so much, Jessica, you were a joy to work with!
  • User1973756 2+ years ago
    She is an expert working with vintage fabrics, and fashions. I wouldn't trust my beautiful 1950's dress with anyone else.

Thank you so much!
    Shae Married on 10/18/2014
    Charla took my thoughts and ideas, and combined it with my mother's family made dress, and turned it into the most beautiful dress I could ask for. She took each part of what we loved about my mothers dress, and added (and took away) pieces to make it mine. She even took the time to get a patch with our names, dates, and designers sewn into the inside of the dress. This is something that has been in my family, and now will stay in my family. Each time we met we felt like we had known Charla for years. It was such a fun journey, and I would do nothing differently. Thanks Charla, we love you!

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Sweet Shae, thank you so much! I loved every minute with you & Colleen.
    Emily Married on 10/11/2014
    Charla was so very wonderful to work with! I worked with her on two vintage dresses, the first one I purchased a year and a half before my wedding, and the second I purchased 2 months before my wedding. She worked so hard to change so many things on the first dress and when I threw the second dress at her weeks before my bridals she didn't blink an eye. She got right to work and made the dress fit me like a glove. She even tried to help me sell the first dress! She was so nice, I definitely recommend her.

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Thank you so much, Emily!
  • User1968967 2+ years ago
    Charla is THE BEST!!! She truly has a gift in her art of wedding dress tailoring. She had to remake my entire dress to decrease it 6 sizes and it looked better than when I bought it. She has a perfectionist eye for details and made sure my dress was perfect. She added an inside corset which was comfortable for the entire wedding! I did not want to take my dress off it was so comfortable! She also made a Ringbearer pillow with pieces of my wedding dress and lace from my mothers wedding dress. It was gorgeous!!! She also added a "something blue" monogram with my wedding date on the inside seam of my dress.
    Charla also gave me and my mom the idea to wear my moms wedding dress to the rehearsal dinner. She was able to make small changes to make it look less dated and hemmed it to tea length. I received so many compliments on the dress and my mom and I were thrilled.
    Charla is kind, professional and unbelievably gifted. She was an absolute pleasure to work with and made sure I had zero stress when it came to my dress. She even last minute altered my moms mother of the bride dress after she lost weight!
    She is wonderful and I recommend her to anyone and everyone!!!

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

Wow, Lea, that's an awesome review, but I had so much fun doing all that. Thank you!
  • User1968066 2+ years ago
    Charla is an incredibly talented seamstress! She turned my mom's wedding dress into a cute cocktail dress for our wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. She also made my veil, garter, and altered my wedding gown. Her prices are much less than what you would find in a bridal salon and her quality of work is much higher! She was wonderful to work with, I would recommend her to anyone in need of a seamstress!
    Sally Married on 09/06/2014
    Meeting Charla and working with her as she transformed my 30 year old wedding dress into our daughter's rehearsal dinner dress...while also doing the alterations for both our daughter's wedding dress and my MOB dress...while ALSO turning my veil into our daughter's wedding day veil was one of the greatest blessings of our wedding planning process! Charla is a gift and a gem! And,ohhhhhhhhh, SO VERY TALENTED!

Pleiades Bridal & Design Studio's reply:

It was such a joy to work with such great ladies!!
    Shelby Married on 06/07/2014
    Everything was perfect!!! My dress turned out just the way I had pictured it.
    Jessica Married on 08/03/2013
    Charla is a talented and creative tailor/designer who was able to take my grandmother's dress (complete with puffy, long sleeves and full body coverage) and turn it into a classic and yet modern, elegant wedding gown. I was at first slightly apprehensive to instill so much faith that "the dress" from my vision could be fashioned into reality; however, Charla was able to listen to my description of my ideal dress and bring this concept into fruition. She was willing to collaborate as much as necessary to ensure the dress came out just right...and I lived 1000 miles away, so that was necessary. In addition, Charla took initiative to incorporate the parts of the dress we did not use (the original beading, extra lace and silk) into ring bearer pillows, hair clips, etc., so that all parts of the dress were used as best as possible. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this design studio. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a highly skilled, creative and passionate professional to design the perfect wedding dress at an excellent price.
    Meghann Married on 10/13/2012
    Charla is amazing! I know usually her talent is transforming vintage dresses into more timeless, or modern looks (and I saw her do that beautifully for a friend), but my particular challenge for her was buying a sample size dress that needed to be resized to a much, much smaller fit. The trouble was that the dress had hand-embroidered lace pieces that needed to be removed and replaced once the seams were taken in, plus there were several holes that needed to be patched. It was a LOT of work for Charla, but she never complained, and she treated my dress like royalty. She even recommended removing the zipper and replacing it with snaps on a more delicate part of the dress so that it would lie smooth against my back. By the end, it looked like the dress was made for me (and it truly was, by Charla). To brides nervous about transforming a dress, I would say: don't take any chances... Take your dress to Charla!
    Kirsten Married on 06/23/2012
    Charla Bjostad is a master seamstress! I decided that I wanted to get married in my grandmother's dress from the early 1930's. When I brought it to Charla the lace was completely yellowed with brown spots and there were many holes in the lace. I thought it was unrepairable. Charla was very excited about the dress and said she thought she could get the stains out and repair the lace. She did both! In fact the lace turned out to be a beautiful ivory. I was lucky that the width and the length of the dress already fit me perfectly. I had some "stylistic" issues with the dress, however, so Charla helped me come up with a new vision for the dress. She took in the puffy sleeves and took the neckline down. I'm so happy she convinced me not to take the collar off because it really added so much charm to the dress. I could not find the slip for the dress, so Charla built me one that worked perfectly. I also bought a veil from her (made with vintage lace) that was absolutely stunning! I changed for my reception and needed that dress hemmed. It was not an easy dress to hem, as it was beaded, but Charla did perfect job with that as well. I received so many compliments that day on both of my wedding dresses. Charla is a gem and I cannot recommended her enough! Oh and I was amazed how reasonable her prices are too!