Pennington's Cakes Reviews

124 | San Marcos, TX

124 Reviews for Pennington's Cakes

Andraya · Married on 04/10/2016

Pennington's Cake captured our vision for the grooms cake and the brides cake perfectly. The flavor of both cakes was beyond expectations, the most moist and flavorful cake we have ever had, our guest came back for seconds and even thirds! My husband and I checked out a few different venders and Pennington's surpassed all others by a land slide. Thank you for creating the cakes of our dreams.

Sent on 05/21/2016

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

You're so very welcome! Thank you for choosing Pennington's Cakes! Many blessings to you both!!

The cakes were beautiful and delicious, my only complaint was that the cakes arrived 15 minutes before the wedding started. I understand stuff happens, but a call would have been nice. We called them and couldn't get a hold of them because it was after hours so we were freaking out just a little bit, but in the end they made it their just in time! My husbands groom cake was German chocolate with a hunting theme, not only did it look great, but it tasted great too! My cake had layers of pineapple and strawberry swirl, they were both so yummy!

Sent on 05/22/2016

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

We are so sorry we were running behind on your delivery! Yes, stuff happens and we got delayed by being locked out of a venue for an earlier delivery. Grrrr. Also sorry that you couldn't reach us at the shop (we were on the road to your place) - we always attach to your contract a business card with our cell phone number on it for day-of contact. We always try to contact your day-of person so I don't know why that didn't happen. But, we are thrilled you loved your cakes! That is what we work hard for! We hope to learn from our experience with your wedding and not repeat it because it's not fun from our end either!! Many blessings to you and your husband!

Victoria · Married on 02/22/2014

They did an awesome job on my wedding cake! Looked and tasted fantastic! The price we paid was a lot less than I expected! Just had a little misunderstanding on their part with our first appointment so we came in and had to reschedule, but we got some free goodies that day for the mishap. Overall I will definitely use Pennington in the future.

Sent on 07/12/2014

Davina · Married on 02/15/2014

The staff and the head baker, Stephen, at Pennington's was fantastic! They were so helpful in finding me what I wanted since I was a bit unsure and they made my husbands cake one of the best I've seen. It was even better than a picture I provided them with! They were very professional, extremely friendly, and perfectly on time with everything. I will always go to them for every special occasion cake. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 07/04/2014

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thank you, Davina! We had a blast making your cakes. Blessings to you!

Denise · event on: 11/09/2013

I wanted the perfect cake for my mom's 85th birthday and found it at Penningtons. I looked at their website, liked what I saw and gave them a call, I told them what I wanted and they gave me guidance on details, Everyone at mom's party said it was one of the most beautiful n most delicious cakes they had ever seen and tasted. Thank you Penningtons for helping make this such a memorable occasion--I will definitely order from them again.

Sent on 11/27/2013

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thank you, Denise. It's so great to hear you loved your cakes. Come see us again!

Suzie · Married on 09/14/2013

All of our cakes were delicious! The different flavors in the cake kept the guest guessing what flavor they would get. All were wonderful. The grooms cake was done in the shape of a bulldog and was absolutely the talk of the wedding! It was great! The only cake that didn't meet our expectations was the birthday cake we ordered for our granddaughter. It was poorly decorated, but it tasted great!

Sent on 10/01/2013

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks for the review Suzie! I'm so glad Becky and Neal loved their cakes! Please pass on our blessings to them. We apologize for the Tres Leches cake, iced in the traditional style. The instructions for the birthday cake were separated from the wedding cake order, and we failed to decorate as requested. Please contact our shop for a full refund of the birthday cake!

Shelby Dusek · Getting married on 11/11/2020

Beautiful, Tasteful, and Reasonable

Beautiful cakes for a reasonable price! Tasted amazing which is the important part. Our meeting was quick, but Stephen was willing to brainstorm for as long as needed. On the day, Pennington's came in and did their job. Didn't disrupt me; just took care of it all. Excellent price for a 4 tier and a grooms cake.

Sent on 12/04/2019

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks, Shelby! We strive to make the cake the least of a couple's worries on the big day! We are thrilled you were pleased. We wish you the very best, many blessings, and a long and happy life together!
  • Felicia

Felicia Reyes · Married on 11/02/2019

Delicious wedding cake!

Our cake was beautiful and so good. Our guests loved it.

Sent on 12/01/2019

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks, Felicia! We loved making your cakes. Thanks for letting us be a part of your big day! Many blessings to you and Bryan. We wish you a long and happy life together!
  • Natalie

Natalie · Married on 11/17/2018

Natalie and Ryan

We wanted a carrot cake, needed it shortish notice. I was referred to them from a friend I trusted, and baked herself but only did cupcakes. They were flexible with testing and the returning of our stand! Had the perfect stand, was in the window and probably had not seen a wedding in awhile. Took it as a sign, since it was perfectly antiqued and went amazing with our wedding and venue. Kind people, and the cake was great( I think, did not get to eat that much the night of) (; I heard great things and it looked great! Delivery, communication and all else was amazing.

Sent on 05/06/2019

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks, Natalie! We loved making your cake. Congratulations and many blessings to you both! We hope to see you again soon!

These cakes are not only wonderful tasting but amazingly beautiful. Steve and his crew are able to create cake masterpieces. If you can think it up they can make it. Our cowboy hat wedding cake was so authentic looking I didn't want to cut and serve it.

Sent on 12/04/2014

Nanette · Married on 11/01/2014

The cakes were absolutely beautiful. Everyone loved them. I will order a cake for our first anniversary.

Sent on 12/05/2014

Cake was very good! We saved our top tier but ended up eating it a month later. I brought in a sketch of what I wanted it to look like, and they followed it exactly. They also provided samples so I knew I was picking the right flavor. They also worked with us when it came to picking a size that would fit on our family's 10" antique cake stand, but would still be enough to feed all our guests. Thank you so much!

Sent on 07/06/2014

Lisa · Married on 03/22/2014

Both bride and groom cakes were delicious!

Sent on 04/16/2014

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks for your review, Lisa. We loved doing Whitney and Zak's cakes! Please drop us a note and let us know how we could have improved on flexibility!

Tasha · Married on 02/24/2012

Stephan was amazing and very helpful. I had a custom design and Pennington's Cakes was very accommodating. The cakes were very tasty and fresh and all of my guests had rave reviews.

Sent on 03/20/2012

Pennington's Cakes's reply:

Thanks, Tasha! We had fun making sugar diamonds for the bridal cake and the Playstation 3 grooms cake! The venue was amazing and we were honored you chose us for your celebration. Many, many happy years together to you and Hunter.

Alyson · Married on 09/24/2011

Our cakes were beautiful and delicious! I did not have to worry about anything once I placed the order!

Sent on 12/16/2011

Melissa · Married on 11/26/2009

The cake was wonderful.

Sent on 12/03/2009

Lisa · Married on 10/16/2009

Pennington has the best wedding cake I have ever eaten. The cake was beautiful. He did a great job with the flowers provided as well. We had so many compliments on how great the cake tasted. You can't go wrong with Pennington.

Sent on 12/06/2009

Brooke · Married on 03/29/2008

3.5

My family has been using Pennington's cakes for every big event since my sister's high school graduation, and they are phenomenal. I could rave about how tasty their cakes are for days! Their buttercream is sweet but not overpowering, the cake is so light and fluffy, and their fillings are to DIE for! Lana was very easy to work with and is incredibly professional. After a time mix-up for our cake tasting (as my now-husband hadn't tried all the fillings yet), Lana was more than willing to make it up to us. Since we couldn't travel back for a while, Lana said she would throw in an additional item at no cost, as we couldn't fit in our scheduled tasting. We opted to have our monogram/logo created for the top tier in royal icing, normally an additional $10 cost. Lana was such a dream to work with, creatively speaking. I only wish I could post a photo! I created a pattern from the engraving on my ring for the piped on icing, and Lana executed it perfectly. The cake was incredibly delicious, and our lemon filling wonderfully tart. I can't complement her enough!

Sent on 04/11/2008

Dana · Married on 06/07/2014

The stresses of a wedding can be overwhelming, but we found that doing business with Pennington's was easy. Our wedding cake turned out beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 07/17/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 10/05/2013

Pennington's exceeded our expectations in providing a gorgeous and tasty wedding cake but also a one of a kind groom's cake. Our reception was too feed well over 300 guests and the cake's were the only things completely devoured. The red velvet and white cake with raspberry filling were an excellent choice for alternating tiers on the wedding cake. The groom's cake was a life-size replica of my husbands bass guitar which everyone loved.

Sent on 12/19/2013

Stephen at Pennington's Cakes made the entire process easy and fluid. He created a whimsical, simple design that fit perfectly with our wedding day vision. He happily used one of my mother's antique cake plates for my wedding cake, which only added to the overall ambiance of our reception. As far as taste is concerned, I've never had a more delicious wedding cake! He was able to make each layer a different flavor, which offered our guests a fabulous variety. I couldn't have been any more impressed with the quality of our cake. I'm only sad that we didn't get to eat more of it!

Sent on 11/13/2012

We came to Penningtons after a referral from our caterer. After trying about a dozen cake places this one fit the bill. The cake was awesome. We were wanting something specific that we had at a wedding in Hawaii and Penningtons was the only place that was courageous to take on the challenge! The cake flavor turned out great which was the most important to me. I absolutely did not care what the cake looked like as long as it tasted good. Well behold it ended up being beautiful too!

Sent on 05/05/2016

Erin · Married on 10/04/2014

Best value for what you get that we found, other vendors we checked with were as much as double for the same cakes. Stephen was great to work with and the cakes were delicious. I have already recommended this bakery to others.

Sent on 12/11/2014

2.5
      3.0

The cakes were tasty, and they were easy to work with. The decoration on the cake was not as beautiful as I was imagining. Some of the decoration was smaller than I had pictured, and other parts seemed to be falling off? It was a hot day when we got married, so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Sent on 05/26/2016