Pastries by Design Reviews

125 | Bradenton, FL

125 Reviews for Pastries by Design

• Rachel

Rachel · Married on 03/22/2014

Pastries by Design was a dream to work with! The cake was delicious and absolutely beautiful. We were completely impressed with their extreme professionalism--they had all of our emails printed out, including the design picture I'd sent, when we went in for a tasting. They responded within 24 hours to all of my emails/calls. The cake was delivered not only on time but a little early, and it was exactly what we had envisioned! Our guests even went back for seconds and couldn't stop talking about how good it was. This bakery was a little on the pricey side, but it was because of the superior service and skill (and worth every penny).

Sent on 03/25/2014

Marial · Married on 09/10/2016

Pastries by design was superb in every aspect! From our cake tasting 6 months prior to our cake cutting the day of they were incredibly professional, took direction well, and crafted the confection of my dreams. In addition to our cake we had personalized sugar cookies of the states of IN and TX created to help our guests feel at home, they were beautiful and tasted great, but at almost $4 a cookie came with quite the price tag!

Sent on 09/27/2016

Teresa · Married on 01/09/2016

Very good service, communication and responsiveness.

Sent on 01/14/2016
  • Krystal & Matt

Krystal · Married on 05/02/2015

Absolutely loved working with Pastries By Design for our wedding cake! They did exactly what I wanted and the cake itself was delicious. Our guests were raving about how good it was... we had people saying they had two or three pieces it was that good. I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a wedding cake in the Sarasota area.

Sent on 05/10/2015

Pastries by Design's reply:

Krystal, Matt.. congratulations!!

Pam · Married on 11/06/2014

Excellent value for the price however I felt the color was a bit off and the pearls were not firmly set as they kept falling off. Other than that they were extremely easy to work with and the product itself was delicious.

Sent on 11/18/2014

Emmari · Married on 05/06/2014

Originally, everyone kept telling us to go to Publix, because they said the cakes were about $300 and Publix cakes are very popular. But we wanted to have the cake-tasting experience, so we tried 2 other bakeries before we came here. We weren't sure exactly what kind of cake we wanted, but knew we wanted it to remind us and guests of the beach. We started communicating through emails, and Sandi was very flexible with the times she was able to meet with my, now, husband and my mom. We we got there and she helped us tailor our own dream wedding cake. We tasted the cake flavors and OH MY GOODNESS! I have never had cake so great in my entire life! We fell in love with the Grand Marnier cake with Raspberry filling and the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing, so we went to 2 flavors. Sandi helped up pick the right size for our guests, and with all the little details, such as why a circular cake is better for what we wanted than a square cake and which shade of turquoise wouldn't turn our guests mouths colors. At the end of session, we all looked at each other wondering how much it was going to cost, since it was super custom, super delicious, and sounded super beautiful. She came back with the quote and we were in shock the total price was a little less than $300! WE COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! I took away a star, because from that point until the week of the wedding that hadn't been in contact with us, and I wish they had reviewed the cake with us once more, because we wanted "sand" on our cake, which would have been raw sugar (which I have always seen as light brown), and their raw sugar was white, but we had chosen white edible seashells, so it kind of blended. I didn't think it looked quite like sand, but the cake was beautiful and a hit at the wedding - people were even taking to-go boxes LOL. Oh, and the BEST PART IS that they give you a fresh anniversary cake, so no freezing the top layer! Sorry Publix, this is my new bakery!

Sent on 05/19/2014

Erin · Married on 05/03/2014

Pastries by Design came recommended from my venue and I was really happy with the quality of my wedding cupcakes. They were so moist and delicious that my guests were raving about them. Some people said they even had 2!! I managed to snag a red velvet cupcake and it was outstanding. The cake topper was delicious as well. Thank you Pastries by Design!

Sent on 05/31/2014
  • User2099122 · 2+ years ago

Lindsay was very helpful with the design of the cake and making it work for our budget. The cake turned out better than I could have imagined!

Sent on 01/25/2013

Carrie · Married on 10/08/2011

OMG! Not only did our groom's cake and wedding cake look beautiful and exactly what we asked for, all the flavors tasted amazing. The carrot cake is absolutely to die for and the chocolate fudge filling was decadent. I can't explain how important the cake was to us, but the type of business practice was also very important. We obviously didn't want a dry and boring cake. But we also didn't want to be one client of many in one day. We didn't want our cake quality to suffer because the vendor had too many cakes in one weekend. Lyndsy really impressed us with her policy of only taking a certain number of jobs per weekend. Lyndsy and her staff have talent and likeability which in our minds, is a great combination. The only reason I couldn't give them five stars overall is because they don't get back to you right away. However, they were in the middle of opening their new storefront, so I can only imagine how busy they were!

Sent on 10/26/2011

Tracy · Married on 05/02/2011

Lindsey was AMAZING!! She delivered the cake and set it up so beautifully! Everyone there said it was the best cake they had ever eaten at a wedding. It really was delicious. I really wanted zebra print incorporated into our cake, and she did it in a very classy way.

We also went for a tasting when we were looking for cake vendors, and she was so nice! Not at all pushy, and her cakes tasted amazing. I highly recommend Lindsey and wish I could give her a six on quality.

Sent on 06/06/2011

Amber · Married on 05/24/2015

My husband and I chose non traditional Cheesecake for our wedding and were so very pleased with the product. We had 5 separate cheesecakes in various flavors and every one was as good as the other. Every guest loved it, and she listened to exactly what we wanted. We would highly recommend this bakery for all your wedding/party needs.

Sent on 05/30/2015

Lynn · Married on 06/14/2014

The best cake! They matched the decoration on the cupcakes exactly to the picture I has emailed them. The 6" cake was much bigger than I had expected and everything was delicious. I had not realized that the cupcakes had filling in them so we were pleasantly surprised with that and the buttercream frosting was the best we've ever tasted. Absolutely the best!!!

Sent on 06/24/2014

Valorie · Married on 04/13/2013

3.5

When I went into my cake appt. I had a few ideas of what I wanted but in general I needed help deciding on the overall design. Lyndsy is so creative and had so many great ideas of what to do with it. It was effortless to come up with a design I loved pretty quickly. The day of the wedding it was gorgeous!! It was exactly as I hoped and it was delicious. Everybody was saying how good it was!! It's definitely the best cake I ever had. There was only one little mishap, my initial in our monogram fell before we cut the cake. So the V looked like an L. That wasn't really fun to look at in the pictures, but it was outside and the heat probably didn't help. Overall I am very pleased!!

Sent on 05/14/2013

Sandi is Pastries by Design worked with us to create beautiful cake and cupcake display for our destination beach wedding. She was able to provide us a gorgeous arrangement but still please our simplistic design. We weren't certain what flavors or frosting we wanted, but she was able to please us by asking about our favorite non-cake treats, menu, and desired affect. The cakes, lemon and coconut, were deliciously moist and had just the right flavor combinations! In addition, she used a photo I found online to create custom cookies for our guest favors. They were incredible and received many compliments!

Sent on 08/20/2015

Kari · Married on 10/06/2012

Pastries by Design was GREAT. Our wedding cake was beautiful AND delicious. We had lots of compliments on how good it was. And the design was exactly what we had envisioned based on our conversations with Lyndsy. Thank you so much!!

Sent on 10/16/2012

Sarah · Married on 10/10/2010

3.0

Pastries by Design is wonderful. Lyndsy is extremely creative and very professional. She spent a lot of time with us trying to find the right cake and flavor, and we ended up with a beautiful creation. Lyndsy was very sweet, accomodating, and a great business owner. The cake was delicious and everyone raved about it, we definitely recommend her!

Sent on 10/30/2010

Kathleen · Married on 03/13/2010

3.0

I have to say that I really debated on how to rate this. Leading up to the wedding I didn't think I cared much about cake. However, after taste testing at two more well known bakers in Sarasota, we were entirely unimpressed with the taste and customer service at those two places (one which appeared that he would be doing us a favor to bake our cake and one which wanted to charge us to try a flavor of her cake). Our planner recommended Pastries By Design. I have to say that I was incredibly impressed throughout the process by the Lyndsy's customer service- she is very personable and very honest & forthright about how different decorations/styles affect the cake budget (which I really appreciated!). Additionally, her cake flavors were AMAZING (we had key lime w/key lime buttercream, ginger w/ginger buttercream, and marble cake w/fudge). She uses a Swiss fondant which actually tastes good! She created a beautiful paisley design on our cake, however, it was the wrong color. Our cake was ivory with pink piping for the paisley design and we had contracted for bright pink (fuscia) and I was shocked to see a very pale pink when I got to the reception. It was a delicious cake, but I really wish we had gotten what we had paid for.

Sent on 05/17/2010

3.0

During our initial cake tasting, Alex was created such a fun and exciting experience for my fiance (now husband) and I. She provided many different flavors of cake, filling and icing that were setup for mixing and matching. Initially, we were going to do multiple small cakes because we loved so many flavors Alex had to offer. Later, we decided to create a dessert table filled with small bites in addition to a small cake for my husband and I to cut. I cannot fully describe the flavor of the items that we had because they were so AMAZING. We had the vanilla cake with raspberry preserve filling and vanilla icing. For desserts, we had the chocolate peanut butter shooters (crowd and husband favorite), vanilla bean shooters, key lime tarts, cheesecake tarts, mini red velvet cupcakes, and rice krispie pops (my favorite). We paid the additional fee to have the team set up the table using their creativity. The pricing is a bit extreme, but the quality of the desserts and level of expertise made up for that.

Sent on 02/08/2016

Jillian · Married on 10/04/2014

3.5

We had a very "out of the box" idea for our wedding cake. Needless to say, I thought it was the most hideous thing I had ever seen in my life when I saw it. But, I must say it wasn't Sandi or their fault. We just had a vision and it just wasn't what we expected. I just don't think we were very good at explaining what we saw in our minds. We kept the cake in the air conditioning and the beads on the cake still fell off. I'm quite embarrassed by the pictures. But, let me reiterate, I don't think it was their fault. I wish we would've went for something more simpler and not wasted our money, though.

HOWEVER, it tasted SOOOO good. Unfortunately, the only time we got to taste the cake was when we shoved it in each other's faces. But, everyone said how delicious it was. We went with raspberry white chocolate-- HIGHLY recommended!!

Sent on 11/22/2014

Leah · Married on 11/03/2013

3.0

When we did our tasting at Pastries by Design, we were so impressed by the owner (Lyndsy) and her passion and knowledge about baking. We decided to do a small, 2-tier cake for cutting and two sheet cakes (a German chocolate and a vanilla confetti) to serve to our guests.

About a month prior to our wedding, I sent an email to Lyndsy to confirm the details of our wedding (final head count, etc). A week went by and I didn't hear back. I ended up finding out from my wedding site coordinator (thank goodness she knew what was going on!) that Pastries by Design had a change in ownership since we had signed our contract. We thought it was pretty unprofessional that neither the previous or new ownership contacted us to inform us of the change, or to attempt confirming our event information. That being said, we did make an appointment to meet the new owner, and she was very nice and assured us that all of the recipes, equipment, and staff were exactly the same.

The cake was delivered to our venue on time, and looked absolutely stunning! They even set up my awkward, hand-made toppers that I didn't think would fit on top. The only problem was that somewhere along the lines of dropping off the cake, it was not communicated to the catering staff that we had 2 flavors of cake for the guests to chose from. So, only the German chocolate cake was served, only half of my guests ate cake, and I got stuck taking home a whole sheet of vanilla confetti cake! At least my coworkers were happy that I had so much leftover (:

Overall, our cake looked perfect and tasted amazing! Pastries by Design appears to be operating well under the new ownership, but needs to work a little on communication.

Sent on 11/12/2013

Karen · Married on 12/28/2014

2.5

The cake tasted wonderful. The problem was - it was half decorated. I clearly went over what I wanted, even sent a picture of the cake I wanted to duplicate. They "forgot" to add the shells and flowers. So, I had a very expensive, but tasty, boring looking cake I paid nearly $400 for. It honestly looked like I could of bought it from Costco. BUT - when I went in and talked to the owner (I assume she is the owner) about it, she was fantastic. She checked her records, admitted the error and refunded me $100. Kudos to that.

Sent on 01/18/2015

Valeria · Married on 10/17/2009

3.6
      3.5

Although people liked the flavors, i got a cake somewhat different of what i wanted. My cake was very simple to make, and I emailed them, talked to them and called them to make sure they did what I wanted (rope instead of ribbon). But they put ribbon.....They also didnt do a good job at putting the flowers on the cake (just layed them around instead of puttting them on)

Sent on 11/08/2009

Jennifer · Married on 07/26/2014

3.6
      2.0

We had difficulty getting in contact with the shop originally. Once in contact, we had a wonderful tasting! Unfortunately, it was not documented that we dropped off our personalized cake topper and our wedding cake was delivered without it. Our monogram also fell during the reception (indoor venue at 8pm) and they tried making excuses. In the end, the cake was beautiful in some of our guests' pictures (wish I could have seen it looking great!) and we got many compliments on how tasty it was. Having the shop number did us no good (our vendor called numerous times for us); get an emergency contact number that they will be available to answer after their delivery in case of any issues.

Sent on 10/06/2014

3.4
      2.0

The cupcakes were AMAZING and delicious for our wedding! All our guests loved them and we of course were so happy with them. The reason this vendor didn't get 5 stars is because of their professionalism. I booked my wedding with the previous owner and even though I contacted the new owners 3 times prior to my wedding to ensure everything would turn out exactly how I had originally planned, on my wedding day, the cupcakes were not set up how I had asked. Also, the top layer of my wedding cake fell apart after the reception. When confronted with these issues, the new owner would not accept responsibility and placed blame the previous owner. This made my wedding and post wedding experiences with Pastries by Design stressful and frustrating.

Sent on 07/22/2015

Renata · Married on 12/09/2011

2.4
      2.0

We were surprised that our experience with Pastries By Design didn't pan out as we had hoped. We chose our three separate cakes and flavors in one meeting, all of which were very good. We were excited after our meeting. We actually paid for all the services necessary (several hundred dollars in cash) on the day of our meeting, with a credit of about 20 or so dollars for incidentals. A few weeks before the wedding, we chose to alter the design of the main cake and sent several highly detailed pictures. We had a price difference of less than 30 dollars. Considering that the owner knew we were planning our wedding from LA and were already overwhelmed with other problems, we did not expect the service we received. In the two days before our wedding, we received an email that the cakes would not be delivered unless we paid everything immediately. In addition, my father in law went all the way to her shop in Lakewood Ranch, about a 40 minute drive from our home, to deliver the antique silver platters that we discussed and agreed upon in several detailed emails. Not only did the owner refuse to use them, she put the cakes on silver cardboard (after we had special ordered silver trays for the occasion). For the main cake, we ordered and signed a contract for a white cake stand that was never provided. My mother was able to take care of the remaining price difference over the phone, but for an account worth several hundred dollars, my family and I were blown away by the inflexibility and lack of communication (after detailed emails with photographs were exchanged). Worst still, on the day of the wedding, the main cake wasn't done in the right color and design. The intricate piping design of the small cake seemed to be beyond the skill of the designer. Even our photographers commented on the poor design of the main cake. While the cake was reasonably tasty, the design, value, and professionalism were lacking. Very saddened.

Sent on 11/05/2012