Olga's Bridal and Formal Couture Reviews

135 | Raleigh, NC

135 Reviews for Olga's Bridal and Formal Couture

Courtney · Married on 09/29/2012

I cannot say enough awesome things about Olga. I was married back in 2012, and while looking up Olga's info to pass along to another bride I realized I'd never written a review. For years I'd heard amazing things about Olga, she's basically a Raleigh institution when it comes to wedding dresses. As a wedding photographer you can imagine I see a lot of dresses, and always one of my #1 suggestions is that quality alternations are SO important. I knew I'd use Olga when the day came, and I booked my appointments with her the same day I ordered my dress. I actually live 3.5 hours away, and made the drive each time for alterations because she's just that good. She was really great to work with, especially knowing I was coming from so far away. She's see me first thing in the morning, and work on my dress while I spent the day in Raleigh - and have me stop back in before I headed home to try it on and see what adjustments were needed. She made my dress even better than when I brought it to her, and even made some suggestions for things I would have never thought of (like changing my exposed zipper to an illusion zipper). I cannot say enough good things about her.

Although 99% are positive reviews, it makes me sad to see those handful of negative ones. I think some people are missing the fact that Olga is not an American, rather she's (forgive me for getting this wrong, Olga!) Russian? Yes she might not have the softest or most PC mannerisms, but I think most of it is cultural and in no way her trying to be rude. I certainly don't think anyone needs "thick skin" to use her, but rather just have common sense.

Sent on 08/16/2016

David · Married on 09/15/2012

Olga is the best seamstress you can find in the Raleigh area. My mom had her doubts because of the somewhat complicated requests I had, and she also wasn't sure what to think about Olga's frank nature (she has a very direct sense of humor), but when we tried on the dress after my first fitting she was sold. She does excellent work and can help you create the dress you've always wanted. She also moved my appointments up by 2 months when I found out I was being relocated for work. Call her quickly! She books very fast.
    She is warm, caring, and talented and I wouldn't recommend anyone else!

Sent on 06/19/2012

M · Married on 09/08/2012

The rave reviews are all legit. Olga is a sweet, kind, and hard-working woman! It's true she books up ridiculously fast, but I was fortunate to be able to get on her calendar for my dress alterations. She took in my dress in the torso, sewed in a bra band to help keep it from sliding down (it was strapless), sewed in soft cups so I didn't even have to bother with a bra, replaced the zipper with an invisible one and re-sewed every button back on. She adjusted the darting at the hips of my dress, hemmed the skirt and replaced the horsehair, and created a beautiful 5-point French bustle. The dress fit beautifully and the alterations were very affordable. Olga knows what she is doing! She also provided my lovely handmade veil for only $50.

Sent on 09/12/2012

Tiffany · Married on 08/11/2012

Olga did an amazing job with my dress alterations! She was able to make my extremely huge dress fit perfectly! It fit like a glove and I couldn't be happier. She turned a wedding dress into "my dress." She also handmade my veil and it was absolutely gorgeous for a very reasonable price! She found alternative ways to alter my dress (that was not noticeable to anyone) that saved me a lot of money. She's a sweetheart and very fun to work with. I think I laughed and smiled through all my fittings. Highly recommend!

Sent on 09/18/2012

Monica · Married on 05/26/2012

Do NOT go anywhere else in Raleigh for wedding dress alterations. She made my dress look soooo beautiful- with no back fat! (Yay!) She also did a 15 point bustle that made my sort of long ish train look like a perfect skirt. It held the whole night!!

Thank you so much Olga!!

Sent on 06/19/2012

Angela · Married on 05/05/2012

Olga worked a miracle on my dress. I purchased my gown as a sample. The dress was a size ten and needed to be brought in at least 2 sizes. It was NOT an easy task. Pleats had to match up, boning inserted, additional corset added, etc. etc. Olga did a fantastic job. She completed the work in a timely manner (which speaks volumes when her calendar books out months in advance!) and was budget friendly. I would recommend her to anyone needing a professional and expert seamstress. Just be sure to call her early!

Sent on 05/23/2012

courtney · Married on 04/28/2012

Olga did my dress alterations! I called in November for an April wedding and she scheduled me 3 weeks before the wedding. I was slightly nervous about the short timing in case something went wrong but after reading most reviews I assured myself it would be ok and I was not dissappointed. Olga moves at a fast pace, although she complains about being so busy and not having time for all the work on the dress! If you saw her calendar schedule you would wonder how she has any time at all!! You must call her wayyyy in advance, as she is extremely popular. People travel from all over to have her do alterations! She offers great suggestions, and besides that she keeps you laughing!!!

Sent on 05/10/2012

Katharin · Married on 04/02/2012

If you are lucky enough to get in with Olga, TAKE IT! I was in a sheer panic when my dress was over 1 month late arriving from the bridal store, and then when they quoted me over $200 what was expected for alterations, I almost lost it. I think it was for the best though because this certain bridal shop gets horrible reviews on the quality of their alterations.
    My dress was not an easy job- beaded hem over lace, 4 point bustle on multiple layers, sweetheart neckline, it was a job for a true seamstress....and that is Olga!! My future MOL searched online and by God's will, found Olga. I was so fortunate to get worked into her schedule - she stays booked! Everytime I was there for a fitting she'd get multiple new client calls. Her prices are very reasonable, and her work is impeccable. After I saw the detail she was going to have to put into hemming my dress which was 2 layers of lace with VERY intricate beading (she was having to handsew the beads on one by one), I was SO thankful I was standing in HER shop! The lady knows what she is doing! And what a heart of gold. It was such a treat to get to meet her in my lifetime! If you want a reasonable price and your dress to be done right, get in with Olga early!!!!
    Thanks Olga! :o)

Sent on 04/09/2012

Kathryn · Married on 03/03/2012

Olga should be declared a national treasure. I wanted a nontraditional, custom-made wedding dress and I can't believe my luck in the internet search that led me to Olga's reviews on this site. I had some fabric, some photos, and some ideas in my head, and without a pattern she created a dress beyond my dreams. I wanted a 1950s style party dress, full but not too puffy, so she decided that instead of ordering a petticoat she'd stitch horsehair into the hem (I can't imagine how labor-intensive that must have been) to give the skirt the perfect shape. The stitching, the fit, the way the fabric hangs - all are of incredible quality. The dress looked and felt beautiful on my wedding day, both for saying vows and for dancing the night away. Olga was flexible; when I decided I wanted to get the dress finished months before our wedding to be able to check something off my list, she pushed up all my appointments. Also, just the experience of going for my meetings and fittings and being bossed around and joked with by her was a great part of the pre-wedding experience. I had my now-husband and my visiting parents meet her so they could have a picture of the woman behind my dress. For the amount of work she did I think her price was very reasonable too. Now I need to save up so I can have her make me a dress for another occasion!

Sent on 07/01/2012

Melanie · Married on 11/05/2011

Olga is absolutely amazing. She has been dealing with Brides for a very long time and knows just how to handle them and their moods. She is very fast and you have to book her way in advance cause she gets booked. She has an amazing spirit and wonderful attitude that everything will work out and it will be okay. Which for some of us brides...need to hear a lot. :)

Sent on 11/22/2011

Carly · Married on 09/17/2011

I cannot thank Olga enough for her work on my wedding dress! She is the best at what she does; the reviews are right on. Extremely skilled, incredibly sweet and one of the hardest working women I've met. I made the unfortunate decision to have the bridal shop where I bought my dress do the initial alterations and they did VERY shoddy work and the bustle was all wrong. I knew I was going to call Olga, but I didn't get my hopes up because it was so last-minute. She agreed to take a look and while I was there, she pointed out even more issues with the dress. I panicked internally and she must have sensed it, because she said she would do her best in the short time that she had to fix the problem areas. She went above and beyond and I am so grateful.

Sent on 10/25/2011

Margaret · Married on 09/10/2011

Olga is amazing.
    My wedding dress was sewed by my grandmother in 1939. My mother wore it in 1979. I wore it last week. I heard about Olga from a friend, then I looked her up, then I called. I told her the story of my dress (btw I never knew my Grandmother, she died when my mother was 19) and right away she was on board and very excited. The dress was a silk slip with lace all over the top. It had never been cleaned, it was stained, it had rips and holes in the lace, and I wanted it to be strapless.
    Olga made all these concerns of mine seem like "no big deal", and said she would handle it. She sure did! She hand washed my lace because she didn't want it to be ruined, she stitched over the stains she couldn't get out, she made it into a beautiful sweetheart neckline with chiffon lining and lace details. Oh, and she had to build a whole underneath part. So she basically made me a new dress but used the lace. Somehow, in all of that, she maintained the integrity and beauty of my grandmothers dress while making it perfectly my own. She was even able to keep the original lines on the back and added buttons to show it off.
    To say I was pleased is a horrible understatement. Every one of the woman in my family were in awe of the amazing job she did, and how beautiful it looked. I felt like a million dollars on the day of my wedding, and Im very sure my Grandmother would agree.

Sent on 09/16/2011

Jessica · Married on 09/03/2011

I cannot say enough good things about Olga. Working with her was one of the best choices I made about my wedding.

She is professional, talented, helpful, and a joy to work with. She did a brilliant job on my dress and it turned out perfectly. Plus, she made me a custom veil that was the exact length and trim that I wanted for only $50. Hooray for Olga!

If you are getting married, call her ASAP because she books up months in advance.

Sent on 09/12/2011

Amy · Married on 07/02/2011

What can you say? She's great! I had always heard fantastic things about her, and she still exceded my expectations. Highly recommend!

Sent on 01/16/2012

Lisa · Married on 06/11/2011

Olga definitely stepped in as my wedding day superhero!! I can’t thank her enough for taking in my dress at the last minute and created the most beautiful bustle I have ever seen. I continue to get compliments on it’s uniqueness and how perfect it was for the dress which had box pleats in the front and back. I would definitely recommend Olga and only Olga (I worked with several other seamstresses) for wedding dress alterations!

Sent on 08/21/2011

Laurie · Married on 03/10/2011

My daughter will be getting married on April 10th and Olga did the alterations on her dress...We found a really good deal on the perfect dress for her with one exception...She very much wanted the lace up back. She contacted Olga to have these alterations done. Olga was very professional in the original contact, and even more so when we met with her...I can not say enough about what an amazing job she did. The alterations we ask for are perfect, but she also did little extras that made the dress even more perfect. She made us feel very comfortable and welcome in her home. Again words can not describe how pleased we are.
    One Very Happy Customer
    Mother Of The Bride
    Laurie Champion

Sent on 03/16/2011

Sarah · Married on 10/16/2010

Olga is the best!!! Don't take your dress anywhere else! I will admit, her house is off the beaten path and made me a little nervous at first, but she is hilarious and knows how to work a dress. My dress was embellished lace, and Olga was able to make all of the adjustments with no problem. The bustle she made for me made it look like I had two different dresses! She is awesome and her prices are extremely reasonable. My one bit of advice- BOOK HER NOW! She gets booked very fast and if you want her to do your dress and have it before the week of the wedding, call her today!

Sent on 12/22/2010
  • michelletheprincess

Michelle · Married on 09/19/2010

This lady is a hoot! She did great work on my dress, and I have already recommended other brides to her! I received so many compliments on my dress and how well it fit. She is very professional, and does quality work. Here is a few pointers for future brides- 1) She lives in a duplex down a winding dirt road, so chances are, if you think you are lost, you are not! 2) Her accent is very very thick Russian, so it is a little difficult to understand her on the phone. In person is easier, plus she is funny :) 3) She is booked very very far in advance, so schedule with her ASAP!

Sent on 09/27/2010

L · Married on 09/05/2010

Olga is the savior of my wedding! She single handedly turned me from a stressed mess into a beautiful bride. Let me explain… The dress store where I bought my dress suggested I buy it based on my chest measurement although that would mean it would have to come in inches around my waist. They said that they had a tailor they worked with and she could do anything! Long story short, their tailor said she could/would take it in a max of 2 inches. But the dress needed to come in about 4-5 inches. It looked like I was wearing a potato sack with a poofy skirt. It was terrible. Frantically, I started calling anyone I could find on google. Then, I called Olga. She said to come over with the dress and she would see what she could do. Although it was going to be a tremendous amount of work (the ENTIRE top of the dress was beadwork), Olga agreed to do it.

From the minute I started working with Olga, she helped me calm down. Not only did the dress fit perfectly, but she actually made it better than it was. Originally, the zipper was sewn in like a normal zipper, but she made it so the zipper was invisible and you didn’t even see the seam. She handworked everything so that the beadwork lined up perfectly. You would never know that she had taken inches from the dress. From now on, I will never have a dress altered by anyone but Olga. When I look at my wedding pictures and smile at my dress, I know it is because of Olga!

Sent on 03/28/2011

Sarah · Married on 09/04/2010

Olga was incredible!!! Rather than cutting my dress to fit, she inserted an elastic band around my waist area, holding up my dress and allowing me to breath and dance the entire night. Also what she created with my bustle was incredible!!!!! It wasn't a simple pin up bustle but a masterpiece that allowed the flowers on my dress to be displayed, she had a lot of vision with my dress. I know her schedule is extremely busy but she was able to work with me here in North Carolina even though my ceremony was in California.

Sent on 09/11/2010

Julie · Married on 06/26/2010

There is no one better than Olga at dress alterations. She has great prices and does the best work. Book her early because she books up fast! Thank you, Olga for making my dress perfect!

Sent on 07/09/2010

Carole · Married on 06/17/2010

Olga is AMAZING!! From the moment I stepped into her home and we talked, I knew I had come to the right place. Olga took my off-the-rack dress and made it fit like a glove. She is warm, funny, and wonderful.

Sent on 10/09/2010

Robin · Married on 06/13/2010

Olga was amazing! She did an absolutely fabulous job altering my dress. It looked better on me than I ever thought it could! She was very easy to work with - book with her early! She knew exactly what she was doing and can turn things around so quickly! Her prices are great - honestly I would have paid more for her services! She works out of her home and you may not think by driving up it's the right place, but it is! I had a simple J Crew dress and she made it fit me like a glove! It came out beautiful!

Sent on 06/28/2010
  • W

Wendy · Married on 05/01/2010

Olga is the best seamstress in NC! She is a wonderful person. If you need alterations, book her early. She fills up extremely quick!

Sent on 06/02/2010

Amy · Married on 05/01/2010

Olga is amazing. Where ever you have to drive from to have her do the alterations, it is worth it! She basically custom made my dress, pointing out things that I never even thought about needing altering, and made it fit like a glove. Her prices are also amazing. With her doing more work, more bustle points, and better quality, it was still cheaper than what the bridal store has qouted.

Sent on 06/03/2010