Old Red Museum Reviews

Old Red Museum 3
Old Red Museum 4
Old Red Museum 5
Old Red Museum 6

We held our company Christmas Party at the Old Red Museum. I was a great experience. The 2nd floor museum was interesting and engaging for our guests. The fourth floor is where our event was held, and we have all good things to say about the way it looked, the lighting, and the space of the venue. We did have some outside lighting brought in from another vendor as well. The only complaint that we had throughout the evening was that the only bathroom was on the third floor. We were primarily on the second and fourth, so this was just a small inconvenience. This venue has great views of Dallas and Dealey Plaza, and lots of really interesting historical information on Dallas. The employees were available to us at all times if there was anything that needed to be adjusted or changed. Myself and the guests of our event were all pleased with the venue and staff at the Old Red Museum. We would suggest this venue to friends or other companies for future events and parties.

Sent on 01/08/2015

Old Red Museum's reply:

Thank you for the wonderful review! We hope that you and your organization will return to Old Red in the future for another event. You all were so great to work with as well. Thank you!

Kim · Married on 03/20/2011

Loved this venue! The courthouse is a beautiful place to hold your ceremony and/or reception! book quickly though, they fill up fast!

Sent on 03/27/2011
  • Christie

Christie · Married on 10/29/2010

The staff at Old Red were excellent and more than willing to help in whatever capacity needed. I liked having the option to choose my own vendors for catering and bringing in whatever I like. I missed having real candles, but my flameless candles were excellent replacements.

Sent on 11/07/2010

Becky · Married on 03/12/2010

An excellent experience! Not only is the Old Red a beautiful venue, the staff was great. Everyone we woked with was professional, gracious and always willing to help.

Sent on 03/29/2010
  • sweetsweetcyn

Cyndi · Married on 01/03/2010

Old Red was an absolutely beautiful site for our ceremony and reception. There was a great bridal dressing area, the ceremony room had a huge window behind us where guests could see the lights of the city, and the reception room was extremely large and vintagely breathtaking. We had many comments from people about how they loved not having to drive to a different place for the reception. Our guests raved about the site the whole night and we couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 01/31/2010
  • AH1

Abla · Married on 01/01/2009

We loved having both our ceremony and reception at the Old Red Courthouse. First of all, the building itself is simply stunning, and full of Dallas history. The room where we held the reception is spacious and has a beautiful view of the Dallas skyline from the turrets. I also liked the convenience of having one venue for both the wedding and reception as well as the addition of using the museum itself for the cocktail hour. Brittany and the ladies at the Old Red were always so helpful! They always answered all my questions promptly, and gave me plenty of suggestions when I needed them. I did not have a wedding coordinator, so they even did some "day of" coordination for me which I really appreciated!

I would highly recommend the Old Red as a wedding venue!!

Sent on 07/08/2009

Stefani · Married on 06/12/2011

We fell in love with Old Red when we looked at venues in November 2009. We booked and we didn’t have any issues with the staff. We had one problem, where there was a change in policy since we booked and Old Red implemented a 3 hr. minimum for security, which was not in our contract. I asked why we had to pay extra that we weren’t expecting and the new coordinator, April, agreed to let us only pay for the 2 hrs. we needed security. The staff on site during the wedding were amazing and so nice and friendly and always asking if we needed anything. Plus the underground parking was very helpful for our guests.

Sent on 07/06/2011

Cassie · Married on 10/16/2016

Great venue for a reasonable value! The location downtown is wonderful - all my out of town guests loved the views of Dallas landmarks. The floorplan also works really well for all parts of a wedding - going from the ceremony in the Restoration Room, to cocktail hour in the hallway, to the reception in the Grand Ballroom all on the same floor. There's also turrets in the Grand Ballroom that we used for a kids game room and a photobooth. It was great to have a place kids (and their parents) could escape to while still keeping them in the reception area. The venue is also flexible in letting you use any caterer as long as they go through Old Red's approval process and letting you bring your own alcohol as long as it's served by a licensed bartender. Great for the budget-conscious! They also only do one event a day, so you also can access the venue the entire day of your event! Finding such a unique, historic venue is still one of my favorite things about my wedding!

Sent on 11/08/2016

3.0

As an event planner, this is a gorgeous all in one wedding venue. The staff was very nice and helpful at all times. I would definitely recommend it to any of my future brides.

Sent on 03/25/2015

Travis · Married on 02/18/2012

We really enjoyed having our wedding here. The venue is perfect if you're kind of a history nut too. It's right in the heart of downtown Dallas right across from Dealey Plaza. It's setup so nice to be able to walk from the ceremony room to the reception hall on the same floor. All of the peaking is conviently located under the building and they will give you vouchers for $2 the day of the wedding rather than paying full price. We had an unforgettable wedding at the Old Red.

Sent on 02/27/2012
  • Gina

Gina · Married on 04/25/2009

Overall I had a great experience with the Old Red staff, very friendly and responsive. There were a lot of restrictions on what could and could not be done because the building is historic and it is a museum, so that limits your flexibility. I was disappointed that there was an additional charge for the dancefloor, and in hindsight this venue is on the pricey side and should offer more, perhaps Chivari chairs, a standard linen, the dancefloor, something more than just tables and chairs.

Sent on 10/17/2009

Erin · Married on 11/15/2008

The Old Red was a great venue. Our guest loved the beautiful building!

Sent on 12/25/2008

Lydia · Married on 07/22/2011

The venue speaks for itself! The location is great, centrally located; both ceremony and reception can be held there. It is in downtown Dallas, so traffic can be a bit of an issue, but really works well, especially for out of town guests. West End is fun. Loading and unloading can also be a little challenging. The staff is good, they work great with vendors. I suggest you carefully review everything as you go along.

Sent on 07/30/2011

Mel · Married on 07/19/2014

4.2

We had a great experience at Old Red for our July 2014 wedding! We had plenty of time to get decorations to the venue and the staff worked with other vendors to get everything there on time and without a hitch.
    We loved the fact that the ceremony and reception are in the same place and that guests don't have to see one space turned around into the reception area. The hallway is great for cocktails. All the rooms decorate beautifully! The only thing I wish Old Red would change is carpet to hardwood for it to be a flawless and timeless venue! The guest bathroom is downstairs and slightly inconvenient. Parking at the venue is great and we chose to have our guests pay and it worked fine!
    One major perk is that we could bring in our own food/liquor which saves alot of money!

Sent on 09/01/2014

Old Red Museum's reply:

Mel, Thank you for the kind words! We hope that you and J. P. are doing great! Please stop by and say hi when you are in the area!

Heidi · Married on 05/31/2014

4.2

The Old Red Museum is a beautiful venue, perfect for what I was looking for! I wanted to have the ceremony and reception in the same place, and it's ideally suited to that. Plus, it's a "BYO" catering and bar, so we were able to select what we wanted, and get a deal by purchasing the alcohol ourselves. I liked that flexibility. Their coordinator was really helpful, and our wedding went really well. The only issue was some confusion with the parking vouchers, and where our guests should exit to use them. I'd recommend clarifying that, but that's really not a big deal. Overall, it was a wonderful space for a wedding!

Sent on 07/20/2014

Old Red Museum's reply:

Heidi, Thank you for the kind words. I am so sorry that there was confusion about the parking vouchers. We are making strides to clarify this more with clients. We hope that you and Jason are enjoying married life. If you are in the area please stop by and say hi!

3.6
      2.0

The Old Red Museum is a beautiful place to get married. It is unfortunate that the venue is not managed better. April, the event manager was very unresponsive to my emails - throughout the planning process and even the week before my wedding. My wedding coordinator and I could not get in contact with her by email or phone of her for days, which is very frustrating 5 days before you get married! When we would finally hear back from her, at least she was always very sweet. My other complaint is that it was hot inside during my November wedding. I arrived at the venue at 2:30 and immediately began requesting that the AC be turned down. My wedding coordinator had already done the same and it never cooled off in there (until some guests finally opened the windows during our reception). We were told that the city controls the AC and April had to call them to get it changed. Our DJ is there frequently and said that it's usually warm inside so I guess this is a recurring problem. All in all, it's a beautiful place to get married and I would recommend it to others, just be aware of those two issues which I assume are recurring.

Sent on 12/10/2012

Old Red Museum's reply:

April is no longer with Old Red and all mentioned issues have been addressed with utmost attention.

Tori · Married on 03/10/2007

3.6
      3.5

We absolutely adored having the Old Red Courthouse as our venue. They were the very first vendor we booked with and the space couldn't have been better! We did have an occasional tiff with our contact there, but no major issues.

Sent on 07/17/2007

Old Red Museum's reply:

We have a fresh sales team and none of the contacts mentioned are with us any longer

Amber · Married on 01/14/2018

2.4
      1.5
      2.0

I LOVE this building and that's why I gave this stars but unfortunately be careful with the events department as my experience was shady. One month before the wedding the coordinator I had worked with let me know she was no longer with the company and gave me the new contacts info. I worked with Kristen from then on and she told me one week before the wedding that I couldn't have the rehearsal in the morning as previously agreed upon because it wasn't written into my contract. She said if I could prove via email that the coordinator I had previously worked with promised that I could still do it so Thankfully I was able to find an email that mentioned it and then she did her best to get that set up for us but it was frustrating that I had to "prove" what I had been promised and that she let me know otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it at all one week before the wedding when all vendors were booked and ready to be there at the time I had been told by previous coordinator as if that was okay to say no that late in the game and not willing to be helpful or flexible about it knowing I had been working with someone else and that it's not my fault there was confusion at the venue with our wedding because of their staffing changes. Fast forward to wedding day, we were let in on the time agreed upon however, the gentlemen working the desk was very rude to all of our group. The day was great from then on until DURING the reception when my husband was missing his reception to go talk to the front desk because the parking passes that we had discussed with previous coordinator Casey and she told us that we would pay the venue after the wedding once they could calculate how many were used by our guests (we had no idea how many to pay upfront for with bridal party carpooling and our of town guests ubering etc) were not being given to us because they "weren't in our contract"! Be very careful with them and make sure everything is in writing! But a BEAUTIFUL venue.

Sent on 01/23/2018
  • W

William Braswell · Married on 05/18/2019

1.2
      1.0

A lot of positives that didn't outweigh the large negatives

I originally wrote an novel-length review to try an convey the nightmare that we had with this place and the event coordinator. Even within those many paragraphs, I couldn’t do it justice so I figured I’d keep it short….maybe one of these days I’ll get around to putting out our story with them in full detail.
    Our wedding was ultimately a success (because we have amazing friends and family, and hired some really fantastic vendors), but I cannot recommend this place at all while Kristen is the event coordinator there. Seriously, you might like a lot of things about the Old Red Museum as a wedding venue like we did, but stay away! It is not worth the stress. It was seriously painful, and the last thing any couple needs to deal with while planning a wedding is a venue and coordinator that are so incompetent. We were lied to, deceived, and overwhelmed by just how horrible she was at her job.

If they change management, then by all means schedule a tour and consider them, but until then please save your sanity and look elsewhere!

Sent on 08/15/2019
  • Sean

Sean Mcgregor · Married on 12/09/2018

Nightmare Wedding Venue

Buyer Beware! The most recent reviews that have started to pour in about the Old Red Museum are completely true. It was a nightmare wedding venue. A week before our wedding the building went under severe reconstruction. Scaffolding surrounded the building and black construction fencing and tarps enclosed our grand exit. The scaffolding was visible in all the windows from the reception hall and in our wedding photos. At no point did they notify us there would be construction. The event coordinator, Kristen, was beyond unprofessional. She no-showed to both our preparation meeting and our rehearsal, made several false statements, and got into a verbal altercation with our wedding coordinator. The day of the wedding the ceremony room wasn’t set up, and she insisted to our coordinator that we were getting married in a church down the street causing confusion and frustration. She misled her staff, saying that we never set a date and time for the preparation meeting despite us having email records of her agreeing to the day and time. When confronted about the construction, she told me that it would rain on my wedding day anyway, implying that the construction was a moot point. She misinformed her boss, Zac, saying that she offered us a chance to cancel and find a new venue the day before the wedding. Even if she had offered us a chance to cancel, who in their right mind believes less than 24 hours before the wedding is adequate time to switch venues? We contemplated suing them but ultimately decided it wasn’t worth our time or money. Avoid this venue!

Sent on 03/19/2019