Oceano Hotel and Spa Reviews

38 Reviews for Oceano Hotel and Spa

Oceano Hotel and Spa 1
Oceano Hotel and Spa 2

Kristara · Married on 08/09/2009

Brides...this is 100% the best venue to have your ceremony and reception. I personally did not have my ceremony here as I had a tradition Catholic wedding, but with all the grief I endured from the church, I kind of wished I had my ceremony here as well. Oceano is the best place. It is right across the street from Pillar Point Harbor or is in the harbor at Half Moon Bay. So your also getting the beautiful scenery from Half Moon Bay; a nice elegant and peaceful town. Plus Oceano Hotel & Spa is a new facility that just opened in 2008. From the decor, to the food(food is excellent), to the exceptional customer service is what every bride dreams of. Another interesting thing about the hotel is that if you go outside the lobby they have a little indoor type of mall with shops and restaurants, plus their opening a new spa.A great place for your friends and family to enjoy as well.The Wedding coordinator Nancy is the nicest and wamest person you will ever meet. She completely understands you and just truly wants to make your day as special as possible. She is truly amazing. I cannot emphasize that enough. They are flexible and are willing to work with you to make sure your day is everything you wanted. I guarantee if you book an appointment with Nancy and tour the facility you will not be disappointed. Oceano is a fun, new and exciting place to have your event. I would reccommend this place to anyone!

Sent on 08/27/2009

Ashley · Married on 05/10/2009

Our wedding was a dream come true. We had the ceremony outside in the wedding garden and then reception was inside the ballroom of the hotel. Every person at the Oceano who played a part in our wedding and helped out was truly amazing. I have never been to a wedding or a hotel where they were so accommodating. The weekend was perfect from the rehearsal til the day after the wedding and the last guest left. It was perfect for us. I couldn't think of a better place to be married than the Oceano.

Sent on 06/25/2010

Serena · Married on 05/02/2009

Nancy is the sweetest thing ever! She worked wit us the entire time and greatly reduced my stress about planning a wedding. The venue itself is beautiful! All new and ocean themed...perfect for a coastside event. We had the choice of being outside or inside for the ceremony. Even though I preferred the outside and it rained on my wedding day...Nancy and her staff set everything up inside, worked with my vendors, and the ceremony was perfect! During my wedding I felt relaxed and had a great time...because I felt so comfortable with Nancy and the staff. Check out the Oceano for your coastside events!

Sent on 07/19/2009

Danielle · Married on 05/30/2014

The Oceana is such a beautiful location with such an awesome staff. Jenn was our coordinator and she was such a delight to work with. She made sure the day went smooth and kept me worry free. I can't say enough about how amazing everyone was to work with!

Sent on 06/11/2014
  • Yuan

Yuan · Married on 04/13/2019

Fabulous wedding venue!

The Oceano was the first venue we visited, and all subsequent options that were within our budget paled in comparison. The hotel is stunning, and the event spaces are beautiful. We had our wedding in the garden and reception in the gate house. There are countless options for photography on site and within easy walking/driving distance. Everyone who used our room block (including family members who reserved villas) felt comfortable and well taken care of.
    Jenn and Nancy are seasoned pros at organizing and executing weddings smoothly! Jenn was very flexible with our menu and bar preferences, and she was efficient at our planning meetings. It can sometimes be tough to reach her by email, so I recommend in-person meetings. It was so nice to have an experienced team set everything up and run the day smoothly. We were fortunate to be the only wedding booked for our weekend, so there was never any conflict with timing or staffing needs. Jenn kept us on schedule while staying in the background and never making us feel rushed. Dinner was delicious, and our guests loved chatting up the bartenders. We were pleasantly surprised to find our decorations neatly packed up and waiting for us in our hotel room at the end of the night, along with an extra meal. So thoughtful!
    I could not have asked for a more friendly and professional wedding venue. You don't need the Ritz to have a beautiful coastal wedding!

Sent on 04/14/2019

Kannika · Married on 09/14/2013

We chose to have our wedding at Oceano Hotel & Spa in Half Moon Bay. We chose this venue because the beautiful location, the grand ballroom reception, and the garden ceremony was everything we had envisioned for our special day. The only risk for any outdoor wedding is the weather, and being in Half Moon Bay the odds are not always in your favor. We chose a weekend in September to increase our chances of nice weather. We weren't disappointed when the day actually came as it was a bit of an overcast and chilly for our guests, but at least it wasn't heavy fog and this type of weather is actually flattering for pictures. I also really liked how they didn't have a strict minimum guest count like other venues in the Bay Area. We simply didn't have that many guests (approximately 80) and most places require a least 100-150 to reserve a spot. The hotel itself was very romantic and had a nice beach theme that was not at all cheesy. Jenn coordinated my wedding details and she was very prompt in e-mail responses and made planning very easy.

Sent on 11/25/2013

Janice · Married on 06/05/2010

My fiance and I can't say enough about how beautiful this hotel is. Nancy is really sweet and really knows how to make you feel like the most beautiful bride. She's really easy to work with. I was really happy with how accommodating she was and is. But I have to say on the day of my wedding I was stressed at times because of little mishaps. There were some miscommunications, but in the end it all worked out and everyone had a lot of fun.

Sent on 06/07/2010

I am so happy with how our reception turned out. It was a lot of work on my part but Nancy was always there for me to cry on her shoulder. Little things were over looked and I wish we could have had more time (we happily would have paid to keep the party going) but over all it was a dream! The food was delicious, but instead of my plate being brought to my room when I couldn't finish, it was thrown out and there was a sandwich waiting for me instead. I don't know what cocktail hour food was given but in our room there were some things I know we didn't request food wise...but ultimately those little touches really don't put a damper on the experience when I think about how beautiful our tables looked and how much fun everyone was having! The slide show didn't go as planned and it was a bit chaotic as far as when things were supposed to happen, our best man kept asking me which was annoying because I had given everyone a detailed itinerary...but maybe thats just him and Nancy didn't bother me because she already knew. I don't really know, I just didn't like when the lights went out for the slide show and basically stopped the party. I think everything else went so well though...if there were other hiccups, I didn't know about them which is the way it should be!

Sent on 08/18/2014

Jennifer · Married on 11/29/2008

Nancy was super nice and patient with us. We searched for the longest time for a ceremony venue that was nice and scenic, but wouldn't break the bank. Since we were doing a split location wedding, it was extremely difficult to find locations that we could book for just the ceremony. Fortunately, Oceano accomodated us. They offered an indoor venue or outdoor venue. Both are very nice (also the hotel is very new so everything is very nice). As our wedding was in the end of November, we didn't have high hopes about it being an outdoor ceremony, but it was nice that Oceano offered this choice. On the actual day of the wedding, they were super flexible and waited until just a couple hours before the ceremony for the decision of outside or inside based on the weather.

Sent on 12/30/2008

Susan · Married on 07/27/2013

3.0

Overall, we were happy with selecting the Oceano for our wedding reception and ceremony. I'd like to outline the good and the bad for all potential couples to consider:

THE GOOD:
    Flexibility - The event team is very flexible and accommodating. They were responsive to our requests for menu/alcohol changes and requests for special configurations in the reception area.

Value - I researched a lot of venues and I found the Oceano to be a great value for everything they offered. I wanted a spot where everything was in one place and all the furniture, food and alcohol was taken care of. All we had to worry about was the officiant, music, flowers and cake. Plus, the dinner was delicious!

Guest Experience - Our guests really enjoyed the Pillar Point area and had a great hotel experience.

THE MINUS:
    Day-of coordination service - In my communication with the event planner, I was assured multiple times that it was completely unnecessary to hire a day-of coordinator. That was a huge mistake.

The event staff was great with setting up the venue decorations and cuing the main events, like the start of the reception, photographs and ceremony. However, there were a lot of holes and a lack of attention to detail. The event planner didn't print out the reception schedule that I sent to her the week prior, so my husband and I had to cue the various reception events through the night (speeches, first dance, etc). I also sent a table diagram with specific table arrangements, but somehow my parents tables were seated all the way in the outside corners of the reception area, rather than next to our table. There were several other minor issues that, in total, caused me to worry about all the little details rather than focus on just relaxing and having fun....which is the point of hiring a coordinator.

In total, we are still happy that we selected the Oceano. However, I would strongly advise hiring a day-of coordinator to make it a stress free day.

Sent on 04/21/2014
  • O

Aaryn · Married on 07/11/2015

3.4
      3.0

Very friendly but wedding coordinators were young and in experienced.

Sent on 09/27/2016

Graciela · Married on 07/15/2017

2.2
      2.0

I am still coming to terms with my experience with Oceano, but I can honestly say that my wedding was gorgeous. Oceano just made some bad calls that I can't forgive them for. They caused us to run late, they destroyed our sand ceremony, they didn't safeguard our belongings, they cost us money with their carelessness and their communication the day of the wedding was severely lacking. Beautiful facility, great responsiveness before the wedding but they fell short once the ball was rolling. I'll never go back

Sent on 10/12/2017

2.2
      0.5
      2.5
      3.0

I just recently had my wedding there and we were not happy with our planner Jenn. She did not pay attention to details and did not make an effort to follow through or even help us plan our wedding. I've had to email her multiple times before she answered and even requested someone else to help us, but they gave her to us. On the day of our wedding the seat chart was completely off we had people sitting in places we did not want, they didn't even ask us if it was ok to change the seating chart. Also they ran out of forks for the cake!!!' How is that possible, you are a hotel with a full staff! So people got served cake without a utensil, so not impressed.

Sent on 01/25/2017