Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility Reviews

24 Reviews for Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility

• Jonathan

Jonathan · Married on 07/05/2019

Great vendor!

The event coordinator Mandy was great & flexible. Just be sure to let her know things in advance and you’ll be good. Venue was beautiful and everyone was pleased!

Sent on 07/07/2019

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

Thanks, Jonathan - It was a pleasure to work with you -your day went off without a hitch! Congratulations to you and your new wife!

Alex · Married on 07/22/2017

We planned our Michigan wedding from California, and were seeking a ceremony location that would allow non-members to use their sanctuary, preferably using our own pastor as well. Oak Arbor Church met those criteria and graciously hosted us for our wedding day. The staff were attentive and kind, giving us time for the rehearsal, pre-wedding photos, and to place simple decorations. Our pastor was comfortable and at-home in the beautiful space, plus our DJ was able to plug into their system to play our ceremony music. We love how the floor-to-ceiling windows, pews, and outside patio look in our wedding photos. But most importantly, we were glad to find a church to host us out-of-towners.

Sent on 01/01/2018

Sandy · Married on 10/05/2013

Church is breathtaking! The large windows were beautiful with the fall leaves in the background. Reception hall has nice windows as well and has a warm feel to it. Not only was the church and hall wonderful, but so were all the people that organized and helped run our wedding from Oak Arbor! Highly recommend! It was perfect!

Sent on 10/14/2013

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

Thank you Sandy! Your attention to every detail made the event a great success! Everyone at Oak Arbor is pleased to be part of your special day.

Quality of Service: Oak Arbor's staff was responsive to my many questions and our caterer, Sean also arranged to meet us on site and have a tasting.
    Responsiveness: Emails were answered quickly and extra site visits were set up when my parents came to town.
    Professionalism: The Oak Arbor on site coordinator knew how to make the day go smoothly, from our arrival to clean up. My mom appreciated her support at the end of the night.
    Value- very good value, a beautiful venue for a reasonable price
    Flexibililty - they were able to switch my rehearsal time a month before the date for me due to travelling bridesmaids, and Sean allowed us to change our menu and timeline as well. During the evening, we decided to go off site for some photos, and they were able to adjust the meal time.

Sent on 10/14/2012

Micah · Married on 05/29/2011

We didn't have to shop around much for a reception hall because as soon as my wife and I came to Oak Arbor, we loved it! The staff was very professional and friendly and the facility is beautiful. We both said that if we hadn't had an outdoor wedding, theOak Arbor sanctuary was our second choice to get married in. And we are so glad we used Oak Arbor for our reception!

The hall was plenty of room for our 150-170 guests, plus photographers with a photo booth, the DJ and dance floor, dessert table and of course the gift table. The room was very clean and bright, the windows let a lot of outdoor light inside. The bathrooms were great, and the little lounging room was essential as that's where we signed the marriage license and took care of dress issues or just got a few seconds of quiet time.

The rental was affordable and the kitchen was well suited for our caterer's needs, so overall we were absolutely pleased with the experience. Oak Arbor was an amazing place for our wedding reception, and I would definitely recommend it for a ceremony as well. Thanks so much.

Sent on 09/06/2011
  • jeslyn911

Jessica · Married on 10/02/2010

We absolutely loved this church for our wedding ceremony. As soon as we walked into it, we knew it was the one for us! The church is beautiful and the staff is amazing. They were so helpful and did a great job to make sure our wedding day went as planned.

Sent on 10/26/2010

Nikki · Married on 04/24/2010

Our daughter and son in law were married in Oak Arbor Church on April 24, 2010. We have never seen a more beautiful location for a wedding. Photos cannot do the sanctuary justice. The floor to ceiling windows around three walls look out to woods and provide an ever changing view of nature. For the wedding, mother nature was just turing everything the fresh green of spring.

Throughout the planning, Mandy and the church staff were well organized, easy to communicate with and very easy to work with. The ceremony music was everything it should be - fine selections offered and beautifully played. Everything went off without even a ripple. I would highly recommend Oak Arbor.

Sent on 06/07/2010

Jaclyn · Married on 07/28/2007

Perfect! Beautiful facility, great pricing, wonderful wedding coordinator. We couldn't have asked for more. The price we spent was only for using the church for our ceremony. They have an agreement with a few catering companies and the catering company ends up paying Oak Arbor for the reception. (That is why the cost only says $1000.)

Sent on 12/01/2007

We had our wedding ceremony held at Oak Arbor Church. This church is so beautiful hardly any decorations are needed. All the staff here were great to work with, including the organist, Peggy, they reccomended. The staff was there helping for the rehersal and there coordinating the day of the wedding. Because of them everything went flawless. The price at this church was probably one of the highest of all the places we looked but well worth it. BEAUTIFUL CHURCH!

Sent on 08/20/2013
  • June2020

Fawn · Getting married on 06/06/2020

Oak Arbor for Ceremony and Reception

We met with Mandy Steen, and she was a very lovely lady. She was understanding of us being about 10 minutes late for our appointment. She was very thorough with how things play out who does what and what they provide. The place is very beautiful. I wanted an outdoor country wedding but after my fiance and I seen this church everything changed. we will be joined in the house of God and We are so excited.

Sent on 03/12/2019

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

Looking forward to your event, Fawn! Please let me know if you have any questions during your planning.

Leah · Married on 07/10/2016

This place is definitely worth it! Trust me when I say, there is not a prettier church for MILES. I started looking for a church almost immediately after getting engaged, and it still took me so long to find the right place. I needed a church that was big enough for 300 people, allowed us to bring in our own pastor, did not require us to take a marriage counseling-type class since we were full time students hours away, and did not require us to become members. All these requirements almost had us looking at an outdoor ceremony, because we spent months getting denied and denied at so many other churches. Oak Arbor was like a miracle! I am so happy we found it. It's almost like they were built solely for weddings! And gave me everything I needed. They have an amazing sanctuary, absolutely stunning. And private getting ready rooms for both bride and groom which allowed us to get there early and prepared. I would definitely suggest it to anyone looking.

We only used them for our ceremony, and went to Addison Oaks for the reception.

I did not give them full 5 stars in Responsiveness and Flexibility since there was on occasion when we had a meeting scheduled to show the church to our florist and when we got there the receptionist had no idea we were supposed to be there, and the coordinator who was supposed to meet us was not there. The receptionist was kind enough to let us in anyway, and we showed ourselves around just fine. Although this church is probably the most flexible venue in all of Michigan (trust me, I basically checked them all) it still comes with a few rules. We had to pay extra to move the piano around; you are not allowed to throw anything as the bride and groom exit; they were very restrictive on the time of our rehearsal, causing us to have an awkwardly timed rehearsal dinner. And they were a little more expensive than I wanted, but it was worth it to me to not have an outdoor ceremony.

Sent on 08/24/2016

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

Leah - thank you for your review. Your event was lovely and your attention to every detail made the day run smoothly.
    Yes, every venue has its rules and the one hour rehearsal time can seem rushed if some of the group is running behind.
    All in all, I am glad your had your event at Oak Arbor and I'm sure that the photos will be beautiful! All the best - Mandy

Ann · Married on 10/01/2010

A hidden gem. The church is beautiful and Mandy was very helpful throughout the planning. When the pastor was late for the rehearsal, Mandy jumped in and ran the show. A lovely setting for a wedding with beautiful grounds for pictures!

Sent on 10/18/2010

Ashley · Married on 09/24/2011

I fell in love with Oak Arbor the moment I walked in.....I KNEW that it was the place we had been looking for for seven months :) Mandy was always very accommodating - we came numerous times to look at the hall and the church. She was very willing to allow us in EVERYTIME! She promptly responded to all my emails and was very thorough with her answers. There was only one incident - a very minor one - that upset me on the day of, but overall, I was very pleased with choosing Oak Arbor. While it was pricier than some other options, we wouldn't have changed it for the world :)

Sent on 11/10/2011

Sally · Married on 11/29/2008

3.0

Overall, I was pretty pleased with everything. Our wedding day was beautiful thanks to Oak Arbor. They allowed us the freedom to be creative with our special day.

My one and only critism is that the assistant that was there for the rehersal and on our wedding was a bit challenging. She was very nice, and offered valuable suggestions, which was well appreciated. Our preacher had the order of the ceremony all planned out thoroughly, and she sometimes challenged him with this. That really wasn't necessary. However, that being said, nothing has hindered me from recommending Oak Arbor to anyone.

Sent on 01/07/2009
  • peacechild22785

Katy · Married on 05/30/2009

Beautiful site!! And not the normal reception site either, something we wanted to find. They took their time responding to some of our requests/e-mails, but they did respond. And, the day of went off without a hitch. And the hall looked great!! I would recommend them, just be prepared to push for answers to questions :)

Sent on 06/22/2009
  • Erin

Erin · Married on 12/29/2018

Great option for out-of-town folks who want to get married in a church

The venue was gorgeous and it was so great that we didn't have to be members and that we could use our own pastor--very rare for a church wedding these days. Mandy our venue coordinator was very helpful for the most part, especially during the rehearsal and the day of, although we wish she had been more available via phone in the months beforehand. Trying to plan from far away using only email made communication a bit slower than we would have liked, but at least that way it was all written down. Overall, a great experience.

Sent on 03/12/2019

Amanda · Married on 11/22/2008

4.2

We held our ceremony and our reception at Oak Arbor. It was great because so many of our guests were from out of town. Oak Arbor provided an on-site coordinator who had tons of experience helping us with planning. She even helped with cuing the wedding procession. She was able to suggest things that worked well in their building. We had appetizers and a bar in the large foyer aftere the ceremony. The guests liked being able to peek through the church windows and see us taking photos. Oak Arbors caterer had great food for a good price. We did family style and it was hot and there was tons of food. Our dj played until it was time to go. The Oak Arbor on site person was helpful to keep us on our timeline and we loved our day!

Sent on 01/08/2009

Sarah · Married on 09/03/2016

3.4
      3.0

This church is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and they provide a day of coordinator which is FABULOUS. However, they were very poor in responding (unless it was regarding collecting a payment) and Mandy was our contact person, she was friendly once we got ahold of her but often was "working from home" and unavailable for days/weeks to respond to emails. It was frustrating for me as I was an out of state bride and couldn't "stop by" to solve problems. That being said, the women I worked with were VERY kind, VERY accomodating the day of and this church is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! I LOVED IT! The backdrop, rooms to get ready in, everything--beautiful! They also let us bring in our home church pastor which was so sweet of them! Definitely would recommend just be forewarned about subpar communication!

Sent on 09/16/2016

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

Thanks for your review, Sarah! It was a bit of an unusual summer for me working from home, but I'm glad that in the end you felt that your day was special. All the best - Mandy
  • angela

angela · Married on 10/11/2008

3.4
      3.0

The church is beautiful and is great for the cost. As to being professional and flexible they can work alittle better on this. The good thing is that they give you the day before to decorate & to do the rehersal (but only for 1hr). As for the day of the wedding they give you until 4pm to get out of the church, but the thing that was bother some was after the ceremony was done, they were rushing us when we were trying to take pictures w/our photographer and it put alot of stress on the me & the groom. Besides that rushing part, the church is a nice one to pick overall.

Sent on 10/20/2008

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

On behalf of the Oak Arbor Wedding Team - every wedding has a story. We worked diligently to have this day run smoothly for this bride. We made an appointment to have them come to decorate (above and beyond the alloted time, at no charge) and I had a staff person availalbe and they were over an hour late arriving to decorate. They did not have flower petals for the 2 flower girls, so we cut up silk flowers we had on hand to make petals. They did not have directions from the church to the reception hall available, so during the ceremony, our staff called the hall, got directions and made over 100 copies for the guests. The bride walked down the aisle 45 minutes late. The contract allows for a certain amount of time for photos after the ceremony, so when ceremonies start late sometimes the photos are rushed.

Liz · Married on 11/08/2008

3.2
      3.0

I think Oak Arbor is a beautiful Church and provides a beautiful backdrop for a wedding. In my opinion it is too expensive though and they don't provide an officiant. We had some snafus on my wedding day causing me to walk down the aisle 40 minutes late and the wedding coordinator was not very nice to my bridal party about it. I believe she snapped at a couple of people. I figured we are paying for the church and can take as long as we needed. The initial person I met with at Oak Arbor was very kind and the person who provided us our ceremony music was wonderful. She played and played while guests remained seated in the church. She was a wonderful pianist/organist and was very accomodating.

Sent on 02/10/2009

Oak Arbor Church & Banquet Facility's reply:

On behalf of the Oak Arbor Wedding Team- I would like to respond that all our contracts are for a specific amount of time. There are often other events scheduled to take place after your the day of your wedding, so you can not "take as long as we need." The contract clearly states the number of hours included. A time line is developed based on the rented time. When ceremonies start late, it is our job to remind you that you may run out of time. When the minister and groom are waiting at the front of the church and finally sit down because of an unforseen delay with the bridal party, it is an unfortunate worry for the groom and for the guests. I would remind brides to read the contracts they sign and to adhere to the timelines.

2.0

Venue is beautiful!!! Wedding Coordinator Mandy is not the most responsive of all people. Also not the most professional either. She was talking about our pastor in not the best manner and he was standing right there :-/ However the church it self is beautiful!

Sent on 11/23/2013

Alyssa · Married on 07/25/2015

2.6
      1.5
      2.5

The building was amazing. It was stunning! It was a little pricey for just a ceremony though.

Sent on 08/13/2015

Melissa · Married on 06/14/2008

2.2
      1.0

When I started looking for a ceremony/reception venue I absolutely fell in love with Oak Arbor. The church and reception hall are absolutely beautiful. There are many bad features about Oak Arbor that I did not like at all. First, the wedding coordinator would never return my phone calls, my husband’s phone calls, and my other vendors phone calls. To me not returning phone calls is very rude. The wedding coordinator was also very rude to one of my vendors telling them "I don’t know why she chose you because we offer that here." I also did not like that I only had one hour to decorate the church and the reception hall. I would recommend Oak Arbor only because I had a beautiful wedding there.

Sent on 12/20/2008