Norfolk Botanical Garden Reviews

Norfolk Botanical Garden 1
Norfolk Botanical Garden 2
Norfolk Botanical Garden 3
Norfolk Botanical Garden 4

Botanical gardens is a beautiful place and the staff there are great. They are sincerly interested in making your day special and exactly what you want. They offered suggestions on vendors to use (when asked) - but they do require you use one of their "preferred caterers".

Sent on 09/06/2012
  • Marissa

Marissa · Married on 06/28/2012

I had a weekday wedding, and it was very affordable for a beautiful venue!! I highly recommend the rose garden.

Sent on 07/25/2012

Shainna · Married on 03/25/2012

We were married in Rose Garden Hall. Originally, the ceremony was supposed to be outside in the Rose Garden, but it rained cats and dogs that day! If the old saying that rain on your wedding day is good luck is true, then we'll have bucketloads of good luck! Despite the nasty weather, the ceremony was exceptionally beautiful. The gardens could still be enjoyed through the floor to ceiling windows. The hall is very nice and with some special thought and decorations it can be transformed into a magical place! My husband was particularily found of the checkerboard floor. We had planned our layout for the room to keep the center open in case of bad weather, so our guests were able to sit at their table while the wedding party came down through the center. This made for a very smooth transition from ceremony to reception. Our buffet was set up in the lobby, allowing us more space in the hall. The wedding staff at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens is very quick to respond to any and all questions. They are very friendly and great to work with. The venue itself has a bunch of rules, just like any other wedding venue, so just make sure to read these ahead of time to ensure that they don't conflict with your vision. Also, if you can be flexible with your wedding date, you can get a great deal by choosing a less popular day or time of the year. Added bonus....a year long membership to the gardens accompanies your rental, and at least for my husband and I, the memories of the many days we spent walking through the gardens is priceless! There are really so many beautiful spots to enjoy there!

Sent on 04/05/2012

Jay · Married on 05/28/2011

Had our wedding there on May 28, 2011 at 4pm. The garden was perfect and staff was friendly. Being the groom i was there about 45 mins prior so I was able to see that the garden had sent over a staff member to help our coorinator with the little things and stayed for the entire wedding. They were very flexibility when it came to letting up go over the time to take pictures. The only bad thing was that since we went over 20 to 30 mins to take pictures they keep the $150 refunded deposit but I didn't mind just as long as we was able to get the pics. All in all it was great, I highly recommend.

Sent on 06/21/2011

Sara · Married on 10/12/2007

Great venue

Sent on 07/11/2008
  • User7910004 · 1+ year ago

The lady who toured us around was awesome. We had only an hour appointment, so it's expected that you know more about what you want before you start your tour around the park. We'll definitely be booking our venue here.

Sent on 03/27/2017

Elyce · Married on 05/01/2016

The package deals they have are so great and the venue is beautiful.

Sent on 05/23/2016
  • User2042563 · 2+ years ago

This was a childhood fairy-tale come true.The venue was gorgeous. Abby was professional and kind. It was a perfect fit for us.

Sent on 09/04/2012

Holly · Married on 11/15/2014

Working with Norfolk Botanical Gardens made my reception go by very smoothly. When first contacting them, they were very responsive and were quick to give me available dates and a contract. There is an initial deposit of $500 that was eventually returned to me, but the price of the venue varied depending on both location and time of year. Since my wedding was in November and had a guest count of 200 people, we used Rose Garden Hall. It was the perfect size, but because of the number of people, we had to put our buffet table and cocktail bars outside. They were very easy to work with, but a few things to point out:
    1) they utilized a list of preferred vendors (although we were very happy with ours)
    2) the room and chairs are rather plain, so it helped to have lighting and chair covers to spice everything up
    3) there was a list of "DO NOTS" associated with the venue such as balloons, etc., so make sure you're aware of those if there's something you ABSOLUTELY want to do
    The staff was always willing to help, and the gardens outside made a GORGEOUS backdrop for our photos. They do a great job and are there for you every step of the way!

Sent on 12/16/2014

The Botanical Gardens are absolutely beautiful and all of our guests were very impressed by our ceremony site (The Renaissance Court). There are several gardens where you can get married, but this one feels like you're in another world. The people there were very nice and met with us on several occasions during the planning process and were willing to answer any and all questions we had. The Rose Garden Hall was the perfect place for our reception and has gorgeous gazebos behind it, perfect for cocktail hour.

Sent on 06/12/2013

Jennifer · Married on 05/05/2012

I loved the gardens! They have several wonderful gardens to have ceremonies in. We ended up doing our ceremony and reception in the Garden Cafe because of rain. It all turned out beautifully! We could not have asked for a better place to have our wedding.

Sent on 05/08/2012

Bollie · Married on 06/18/2016

We had an outdoor wedding reception at the "Renaissance court" in June. Many many guests told me it was the most beautiful wedding venue they had ever seen and I must say I agree! The gardens are absolutely gorgeous and LUCKILY if you book the court there is the option to reserve the backup of bakers hall as well, in the case of inclement weather. Liz and team were so helpful in letting us navigate all the different logistics involved -- tables, tent rentals, trollies, power, getting a Porto-potty onto the grounds of the gardens, etc. I couldn't have imagined our big day anywhere else and I'm so happy with the way it all turned out, thanks to the beautiful grounds keepers/gardeners and Liz!

Sent on 07/04/2016

Tiv · Married on 06/23/2013

During the process, we had great communications with the coordinators at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens. Carlin and Abby, you were wonderful. Thank you for all that you did to make this day special. The only one negative I have to say is the day of the event, not one staff member from the gardens introduced themselves to me. (Mother of the Bride) I asked several times to find out who the "lead" was and no one ever came to me. Creative Catering was wonderful making sure everything was done to my satisfaction. Your partnership with Creative Catering is great! The venue was beautiful! I would have rated this overall a 5.0 but we did have a few issues at the end of the reception...I prefer not to go into detail because it would be unfair to Carlin and Abby who were wonderful during the whole process.

Sent on 06/25/2013

amanda · Married on 08/13/2010

3.0

Norfolk Botanical Garden is on the pricey side, but wow, have you seen the grounds?! It is so beautiful. My ceremony looked amazing with nothing but some chairs, a few rented columns, and a couple of ferns. I always wanted to have an outside cermony and the NBG made that possible. The Garden Cafe was the perfect place to have an outdoor reception and Paul is the best. If you have the money, the Norfolk Botanical Garden is the definitely the place to have your wedding!

Sent on 08/19/2010

Lauren · Married on 08/02/2009

The woman who deals with the actual booking of the gardens is absolutely amazing, she was very detailed and professional. her staff that is supposed to assist the bride and her party upon arrival was an hour late and was very disorganized. She almost drove me up to the front of the garden instead of dropping me off at the back. I wish the rain site was refundable if you did not use it, but I am glad we had it since It was down pouring the morning of and cleared before the ceremony.

Sent on 06/08/2010

Thomas · Married on 05/27/2007

The Norfolk Botanical Garden was very friendly and helpful when it came to our reception. Highly recommended if you are in the market for an outdoor wedding. Price seemed a little high, but was better than many other comparable venues.

Sent on 12/03/2007

Bri · Married on 10/22/2016

3.0

I had a beautiful dream wedding at the renaissance court and rose hall! It was worth every minute of planning! The only thing I reviewed less on was the day of cordinator. Thank god I had a wedding planner that was there to fix the gardens mistakes. My planner was left on her own the day of to fix the ceremony chairs & keep all my other vendors on time and all the other details we thought we would have help with. There was also not enough transportation of golf carts to get my guests to the ceremony in time- even though the hurricane messed up where the bigger tram could go I didn't see anything wrong when driving through the gardens. Other than the day of flubs I would recommend- but don't forget your own wedding planner just incase!

Sent on 11/01/2016
  • skirkpatrick

Sean · Married on 07/25/2009

3.0

The norfolk botanical gardens were the perfect place for my reception. i married in the end of july and their gardens were perfect. we had the whole place to our self for our evening wedding. The coordinator was a great help and meat with us periodically to make sure everything went well for the day. they allowed us to come in for engagement pics and also to show my family the site before the wedding day. They provided us with a coordinator for the evening and she helped everything run smoothly.

Sent on 08/17/2009

Annamarie · Married on 08/11/2006

I loved the Botanical gardens for my reception and for my bridal pictures! My reception was held overlooking a rose garden and had a gazabo looking out over the gardens. It was big enough for all 150 of my guests. there was plenty for space for wine, a picture signing table, presents table, dj and dance floor as well as the buffet line, chocolate fountain, guests tables! It was so beatiful and the staff helped make my day.

Sent on 01/03/2008

Patricia · Married on 04/07/2006

3.0

We had to schedule the date of the wedding a year in advance because the vendor was on such a high demand. The set up was beautiful. And had plenty of room for our 200+ guests with dancing room as well. Very elegent and accommedation. And the parking was great too!

Sent on 11/07/2008

Kellie · Married on 04/09/2016

4.2
      3.5

Norfolk Botanical Garden was a stunning venue for our April wedding/reception. We had our ceremony in the Renaissance Court, and while it was cold and windy, the setting was so beautiful that we opted to stay outside for our short ceremony. All of my guests raved about how gorgeous the Renaissance Court was. Our reception was in Rose Garden Hall and was a great setting with huge windows overlooking the Rose Garden. It was a little tough scheduling appointments but that was because I live 4 hours away and couldn't come down much during the week. I'm sure it's much easier to get appointments during the week and weekends book up quickly since it's such a popular venue. Their wedding staff was so accommodating and helpful. Liz, Kristina and Rodyan were fantastic and helped things go smoothly.

Sent on 04/21/2016

E · Married on 04/05/2010

3.5

One of the most beautiful places to have a wedding. Just have to plan far in advance.

Sent on 06/22/2010

Justin · Married on 06/16/2005

3.5

Beautiful place, with the reception right there too! The only really bad thing was when they took the flowering vines off of the arbor a week before the wedding and didn't replace them. We had to scramble to get a flowered arch at the cost of our florist.

Sent on 06/13/2008

Betty · Married on 06/02/2013

1.5

NBG was a beautiful venue for my daughter's wedding 6/2. The staff was extremely professional and very helpful. The set-up for the ceremony was completed according to instructions and our slightly different version of the ceremony was accommodated without hesitation.

My negative comments about using this venue is that there is no flexibility with regard to using the facility. You have to pay extra to use white chairs instead of brown ones in the gardens and in the hall. If you want to hang anything from the ceiling, you have to provide your own ladder and the time that you get for set up is based upon the time of your ceremony ie. if you want a 5 o'clock wedding, you would only gain access to the facility at 3, even if there is nothing scheduled there prior to your event. If you want longer set-up, you have to take away from the actual usage time for the ceremony and reception. That window is for you to decorate, the catering staff, florist and DJ to set-up. If you want a place for the bride and attendants to get dressed, there is an additional fee for that.

Sent on 06/04/2013

2.5
      2.5

IF your doing a wedding outdoors, I feel they should refund you some money back seeing as you are paying to be outdoors. All in all it is a very pretty place and they staff is really good.

Sent on 07/25/2012