Norfolk Botanical Garden Reviews

Norfolk Botanical Garden 2
Norfolk Botanical Garden 3
Norfolk Botanical Garden 4

joel · Married on 05/05/2013

The venue was, of course, beautiful. Because they are open to the public, they are slightly inflexible with set up times and such. That ends up not being a problem though because they are incredibly professional and any vendor they would suggest is used to the time constraints and is more than capable of operating within them.

Sent on 05/24/2013

Jennifer · Married on 03/23/2013

My wedding was absolutely beautiful at this venue! We had it in the Rose Garden in March. It was gorgeous!

Sent on 08/28/2014
  • Diana

Diana · Married on 11/23/2012

The botanical gardens is an amazing location for a wedding. The butterfly garden was beautiful even in late fall. Carlyn was great to work with during our planning and really helped pull everything together. I couldn't have asked for anything better!

Sent on 12/01/2012

Marilyn · Married on 11/03/2012

We had our wedding reception in Baker Hall and were married on Baker Hall Terrace- we could not have been more pleased! Carlyn was absolutely great to work with and always responded quickly and was available for ANY question I had. Using Baker Hall, we did have some limitations since it is used as the Visitor's Center during the day (but we knew this upon signing up for the space!) but as long as you plan accordingly the room can be flipped fairly quickly. The space was gorgeous and we had no complaints with Norfolk Botanical Gardens or their staff. They even let you leave cars there overnight as long as you notify staff which cars will be there in case you have any guests who might need a cab after the reception. It was a great value for us and we would recommend it to anyone!

Sent on 02/11/2013
  • W

Wendy · Married on 08/11/2012

The location was beautiful and the staff was very friendly.

Sent on 08/24/2012

We were in the Garden Cafe, which is a funky space. We were to be married on the terrace, but had reserved the Rotunda for the ceremony in case of rain. We did use the Rotunda because it was so hot, and boy, are we glad we did. The NBG staff was helpful at all stages of the wedding and for set up and break down. Their costs were reasonable compared to other venues, plus we receive a years membership! The restrictions on what type of bands we could have seemed reasonable to us. And of course, the grounds themselves are beautiful.

Sent on 07/22/2012

Kelly · Married on 06/22/2012

I LOVED working with Abby and Carlyn at the Norfolk Botanical Garden! They were amazing every step of the way! Abby had to do a lot of improvisation on my wedding day because there was flash flooding so we obviously couldn't get married in the garden as planned, but she worked everything out quickly and was able to arrange a speedy set-up change. We had a fantastic wedding in spite of the weather, and many of our guests said that they really loved our venue. We used Baker Hall (the visitor center) for both our ceremony and reception, and it was beautiful!

Sent on 06/28/2012

Christopher · Married on 06/20/2012

They were excellent both in helping us plan, providing information, layouts and service, on call if we needed them for anything, and completely flexible where we wanted any changes.

Sent on 07/05/2012

Suzanne · Married on 05/18/2012

I did all of my contracts from a distance and the staff at NBG was great about being flexible. Due to their odd hours, email was always best to reach them, but it was so easy and convenient.

Sent on 06/03/2012

Daniel · Married on 03/10/2012

Beautiful venue and very helpful scheduling the event. They have chairs and tables available to rent and the rose garden hall is beautiful looking out into the gardens.

Sent on 03/26/2012

Ramsey · Married on 11/05/2011

We think the Botanical Gardens is a GREAT place to have your reception. We had ours in Baker Hall and it was really beautiful. We hung paper lanterns like you see in some of their pictures and had Bloom the Art of Flowers provide some arrangements that really made it stand out. They were really great to work with and very professional. On top of that you get a free membership to the gardens and all kinds of other perks by having an event here!

Sent on 03/12/2012
  • bblessed17

YOLANDA · Married on 06/30/2011

WOW!!! I had such a beautiful and amazing experience. The garden was absolutely gorgeous. I did my 20 year vow renewal ceremony there. It was like a dream. Everyone worked together to make sure everything went off without a hitch. The event planner was absolutely great. She was very sweet and patient and very easy to work with. Even when we went over our rental time, she was still very patient with us. I would do it all again if i could do it there. I will never forget this experience.

Sent on 07/11/2011
  • O

Olga · Married on 08/01/2009

Beatiful venue. Stuff provided everything we requested.

Sent on 08/18/2009
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 06/06/2009

The staff at the botanical gardens was so helpful through everything! The location was beautiful even though we had to use the rain site facility. I would absolutely recommend reserving the rain site in case something were to happen. It was beautiful!

Sent on 06/30/2009

Robin · Married on 09/24/2006

Great place to have an outdoor wedding. You guests would have acres of gardens to stroll through and enjoy the outdoors. Don't forget to stop by the eagle's nest in the park. There is also an observation telescope there. Also, you can take your guests on a boat tour.

Sent on 07/15/2008

Daisha · Married on 08/05/2017

OMG This was they best venue ever. It was beautiful. I didn't have to decorate because the scenery was so beautiful. My guest loved it and so did my husband and I. I love the bridal suite and how much they are willing to help. Liz is really amazing. If you can, ask for her. Everything there was great. I didn't like that I had to get the caterers on their list at first because of course that brings the cost up a lot, but once I was over that I was very happy. It actually turned out great because Gourmet Gang was great. Anything you need they can guide you. Pick themmmmmmm!!!

Sent on 08/27/2017

Bob and Carol · Married on 10/26/2015

Kristina Avera and everyone in the wedding planning department were professional, knowledgeable, available, and most helpful in planning our daughter's wedding. They promptly answered all emails and phone calls and even were available when we dropped in with questions as we visited the Garden. From our first meeting with them over nine months ago and throughout the planning and completion of the wedding, Kristina and her staff guided us through the process. We chose not to hire a wedding planner partly because of their guidance and assistance. We felt comfortable that all would be taken care of in a timely manner.
    Thank you to Kristina and her staff for making our daughter's wedding day one to remember. We highly recommend Norfolk Botanical Garden as a beautiful venue for your wedding.

Sent on 09/30/2015

Jen · Married on 05/25/2014

The botanical gardens is a beautiful place for a wedding. We did have a mishap with getting the rain room double booked, but Amanda helped us get everything figured out- I'm glad we chose to get marred here!

Sent on 06/02/2014

Joshua · Married on 04/06/2009

Gardens is that we were asked to leave promptly after our ceremony time was finished. Regardless of the pictures that we wanted to take or the guests that we were trying to speak to. Unfortunate, but it is business after all.The location was beautiful even though we had to use the rain site facility. I would absolutely recommend reserving the rain site in case something were to happen. It was beautiful!

Sent on 05/19/2010

Pamela Padolina · Getting married on 02/29/2020

Great Place!

I am a newly engaged future bride, and Botanical Gardens was one of my first choices to look at. I am still currently looking, but Botanical Gardens gave me a great tour with what I was interested in. I was helped and all my questions were answered. They were kind and patient and had all answers ready and prepared. Botanical Gardens is a beautiful places and I would gladly take this as one of my options.

Sent on 04/10/2019

Norfolk Botanical Garden's reply:

Thank you for your kind review, Pamela! It was pleasure meeting with you to discuss hosting your wedding reception here at the Garden. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any other questions during your planning process. We look forward to hearing from you!

Dave · Married on 09/02/2018

My wife and I only looked at one venue in Norfolk, and we knew this was the spot for us. We liked that they had a range of packages and locations, so each wedding is a little different, and their pricing is exactly the same every day of the year. The 1-year membership that comes with each wedding package was a nice perk, as was their list of exclusive and preferred vendors that helped us narrow down local vendors.

It was such a beautiful venue, and we had such an amazing time. Although they do have a few simple rules, the NBG is definitely willing to work with you. Lena was our venue coordinator and she was extremely efficient, helpful, and sweet. It was a wonderful place for a wonderful day. Thanks NBG!

Sent on 09/19/2018

Kelley · Married on 10/22/2016

Norfolk Botanical Garden was the absolute perfect venue for our wedding day and we were so pleased with how well everything came together to make our day spectacular. Liz and her team were very responsive and helpful throughout the planning process and did not disappoint the day of. Although there are some restrictions due to it being a public venue (such as timelines, decor choices), we never felt the impact of these restrictions and did not feel limited in putting together a beautiful ceremony and reception. We were married in the Butterfly Garden followed by cocktail hour and reception at Baker Hall...both offered beautiful backdrops for the day. Comparing to other similar venues, I also felt like it was an excellent value. It makes a very impressive wedding venue and all our guests are still raving about it. I highly recommend this venue and the wonderful team that accompanies it!

Sent on 01/10/2017

Samantha · Married on 10/01/2016

We had our wedding at Norfolk Botanical Gardens on Oct. 1 and we could not have picked a more beautiful and perfect place to get married. They have several different wedding packages to choose from with a great range of prices. Our package included the ceremony at the Butterfly Garden (which overlooks the lake) and reception at Baker Hall/Baker Hall Terrace. We choose to have our reception outside on the terrace which made for a magical night under the stars. The NBG staff we worked with (Liz and Ashley) were very helpful and responsive both during the planning process and on the day of. Due to the popularity of the Gardens it was sometimes a challenge to get meetings scheduled but the staff worked hard to try to work with everyone's schedule. All of the wedding sites are beautiful and would suits sorts of wedding styles (we went more rustic/bohemian but there are some gorgeous formal wedding sites as well).

Some tips: while they do provide a "Venue Coordinator" we still needed a day of coordinator (whether it is a professional or just a really on the ball friend) to make sure the day goes smoothly and all your vendors know the plan. There will probably be multiple weddings occurring on the same day which might bother some. We rarely encountered the other wedding parties or guests but it does necessitate making sure it is clear to your guests where they need to be (either with the invitation, wedding website, signage, ushers, or all of the above). They offer a golf cart for the bride to get to the ceremony but you can also use it after for exploring the garden to get pictures (that way no matter what time of year you can track down some beautiful flowers and scenery).

Sent on 10/12/2016

We could not have asked for a better venue for our ceremony & reception! The Lantern Asia exhibit made it a truly unique experience for us and our guests. The wedding coordinators were super helpful since day one.

Sent on 05/28/2016

Very helpful and responsive. We were also able to add two extra hours to our rental time at a very reasonable price.

Sent on 12/10/2014