15 Reviews for New Shades of Blue Jazz Band

Sound/PA System (2)
Ceremony (1)
Learning New Songs (1)
Rehearsal Dinner (1)

New Shades of Blue plays at our annual Monday Night Music event hosted by our nonprofit organization each summer. They always gather a huge crowd (200-300 people), and know just what to play to keep everyone dancing and smiling. We don't have enough good things to say about them: professional, timely, amazing tunes, soulful, and a great time. Would absolutely recommend them for any special occasion. They really know how to set the vibe for a wonderful evening.

Profile Picture Carly, 9/1/16, 1 Review
Category: Band

Nothing I say could properly articulate how much I love and appreciate New Shades of Blue. First of all, and most importantly, the music was fantastic. The whole group was the perfect balance of professional and friendly. When I mentioned to Juliane that I had my heart set on a bongo drum or the like (tribute to my late father), she brought in a traditional African hand drummer. I needed music for walking down the aisle and our cocktail hour - she made the planning and selection process easy. We were getting married on a beach with no access to electricity and other restrictions - no problem! The bus to the reception was late - they just kept playing. So many things that could have been stressful just weren't because of them. I only hope they're still performing together in 10 years so we can bring them back for an anniversary party!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 9/19/15, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Ceremony, Cocktail Hour

I hired Chris Poulin to play classical guitar during the ceremony of my sister's wedding and it was absolutely beautiful. He helped to make the ambiance and experience truly exceptional. He is a supremely talented musician and very professional and very easy to work with. I would recommend Chris to anybody looking to enhance their special day with music!

Profile Picture Stesha, 9/12/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Band

Music sets the tone of your wedding. It elicits emotion immediately. That is exactly what The New Shades of Blue does. Their beautiful music tells the story of your heart. Their music is beautiful, breathtaking and perfect! From the minute I got out of the car to walk down the aisle their music was there to guide me through the most special day of my life. Our guests were blown away! Their music resonated with every guest at our wedding. They make your wedding day feel like a fairytale! They are incredibly kind and wonderful people to work with. They have so much knowledge about weddings and events. I truly appreciate how special they made my wedding day and I know you will too!

Profile Picture Amber, 7/31/15, 1 Review
Services Used: Cocktail Hour, Reception, Microphones, Sound/PA System

If you are looking for wonderful music, the most accommodating professionals, look no further. Chris and Julianne are the best! I have had the pleasure of having them play for several different occasions... and not only were they a musical hit, they added their own specialness to our gatherings. I would use them again, and again. Thanks to both of you!!

Profile Picture Suzanne, 7/17/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Band
Services Used: Learning New Songs, Reception, Rehearsal Dinner, Microphones, Sound/PA System

You were awesome, we felt incredibly lucky to have found you.
Throughout the planning process you listened to all our concerns and thoughts, as well as provided a lot of great suggestions.

Profile Picture Doug, 9/13/14, 1 Review
Category: Band

Juliane and "Shades of Blue" could not have done a better job in providing just the right atmosphere to our reception. If you want a sophisticated and elegant audio backdrop for your wedding or reception, any newlywed couple would be lucky to have "Shades of Blue". Their professional and well organized nature put us at ease, and they took care of everything without a hitch. We also found them flexible and able to handle an a-typical venue, a barn. Juliane also did a fabulous job learning "our song", which made for a very special moment for my husband and me.

Profile Picture Nicholas, 7/12/14, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony Music

Shades of Blue were the ideal choice for our wedding. They communicated with me well ahead of time to work out all the logistics, caring about our needs and making the best use of their time. On the day itself, it was very natural to have them around despite there being only a small group of people (20+) at the wedding. The music was fantastic and well-rehearsed, with a calm and easy flow to the selection of songs. When the mosquitoes got to be too much to bear in the evening on the house lawn, the band happily moved their equipment inside to play for the final hour. Good energy overall, and quite well received. I'd highly recommend them to anyone in Maine or area who are hosting a large or small party - as they could definitely accommodate based on your needs.

Profile Picture Shawnee, 7/27/13, 1 Review
4.7

"Shades of Blue" was an incredible find- 'a diamond in the rough' during the maddening search for a band that fit our values for integrity and authenticity and high level of musical craft! Julianne and Chris are very accomplished musicians with a laid-back communication style- choosing to focus their energy more on their honed talent and your requests than boast through over complicating to seem "better than the rest." They are simply awesome, richly inspired musicians with an authentic beautiful energy when they perform- perfect for couples wanting something real and quality. We had one hiccup with timing- partly our fault not better communicating when we wanted the band to begin (we had hired just Chris and Julianne for ceremony and cocktail hour) and expected the full band to start for the first dance at 6pm, then break, then begin again after dinner around 7:30pm- but for some reason that 6pm start time was missed in communication, so we had to push it back an hour spontaneously which no one noticed anyway. That unfortunately meant they couldn't play for as long as I wished- BECAUSE THEY ARE SOOO GOOD!! (We had a DJ hired for late-night, but if I could do it again, I would have had Shades of Blue play all night long!).
They exceeded my expectations in quality of their craft- just vibrant and gorgeous to hear in person! But, I would have appreciated tighter clarity and execution of the timing we had assumed was communicated to them a few months in advance. No matter- it was an awesome choice regardless : )

Profile Picture Laurel, 8/25/12, 1 Review
Category: Band

Shades of Blue is a great band that I recommend highly. Juliane and her team are very accommodating and pleasant to work with. They helped create a warm ambiance to our reception and got people dancing! Several accomplished musicians were in attendance and all raved about the band.

Profile Picture MaryLee, 8/18/12, 3 Reviews
Category: Band

For quality, spirit and generosity of heart, there is no finer music for any event!

Profile Picture Blanche, 7/7/12, 1 Review
Category: Band

I had such a wonderful experience with Shades of Blue on my wedding day! All of my guests commented on how wonderfully they did, and how they had the perfect balance of interest and excitement without being overpowering during our outdoor cocktail hour. I would highly recommend them to anyone!

Profile Picture Katie, 6/30/12, 1 Review
Category: Band

Shades of Blue is a class act!! Our New Year’s Eve wedding was held in a lovely old mansion, and we asked our guests to share our celebration with formal attire and light-hearted fun. Shades of Blue helped us celebrate in style ~ Chris played beautiful classical guitar to accompany the ceremony, and Juliane and the band helped the set the tone with our requests for a mostly 1940s repertoire for the reception, complete with songs by George Gershwin, Cole Porter, and, of course, Shades of Blue’s own Juliane Gardner. With everyone in their sequins or tuxedos, we danced to Juliane’s beautiful voice as she sang “Someone to Watch Over Me,” “Let’s Fall in Love,” and “So in Love.” The whole affair just oozed romance and charm! We are so thankful that Juliane, Chris, and Ezra were such an integral part of our special night. And when we throw our 10th anniversary soiree, we hope that they will be the band to help us ring in the New Year!

With all our best wishes,
Audrey & Brian Le

Profile Picture Audrey, 1/1/11, 1 Review
Category: Band

Recipe for a perfect wedding and reception to kick -off a lifetime of happily- ever- afters: something old, something new, something borrowed and Shades of Blue. When we were planning a destination wedding in Deer Isle, Maine, we were so fortunate to have Shades of Blue recommended to us by the innkeepers at the Pilgrim’s Inn.

Juliane, Chris and their band were wonderful to work with. They have an impressive play list of both classical and contemporary songs, but they were also willing to learn a new piece for my daughter’s wedding. Juliane’s voice is warm and expressive. Chris is such an accomplished and versatile musician. All our guests commented on how much they enjoyed the music. It just wouldn’t have been as memorable and special without the music they provided.

Sincerely,
Evelyn Katz
Omaha, NE

Profile Picture Evelyn, 10/3/10, 1 Review
Category: Band

Shades of Blue is a wonderful band for any occasion.Their Jazz repertoire is deep and polished with a delivery that is soft as silk or Look out Loud - as the tunes and ambiance require. Chris and Julianne are clearly musical soul mates whose professional talents and gracious ways blend like butter and sugar to satisfy one and all. Without any fuss, they helped us select specific songs and included some of our own "back in the day " favorites to perfectly deliver each musical stage of our wedding plans. With pleasure I recommend the "Something Blue" at your wedding be the fabulous SHADES OF BLUE -

Profile Picture Victoria, 7/18/09, 1 Review