Nellie's Catering Reviews

Nellie's Catering 5
Nellie's Catering 6
Nellie's Catering 7

Valerie · Married on 11/12/2013

Nellie's was absolutely amazing. Fredda, the owner, put in a lot of personal time with us. Our wedding director, Brie and catering manager, Mary Kay were also both amazing. Nellie's not only ensured amazing food with lots of variety at a reasonable rate, but they also ensured everything from the ceremony through the end of the reception went off without a hitch! I am so glad we were told about Nellie's as we wouldn't have wanted anything done differently. Perfect!!

Sent on 12/06/2013

Heather · Married on 10/09/2011

I talked to several catering companies but Nellies was the best pick! I was amazed at how helpful they were and informative. They worked every detail to fit within the realm of my budget and made sure every detail was covered. They have a big prop room they offer you use of their decorations. I planned an outdoor wedding, it poured on my day and they skillfully rearranged everything literally last minute and all my guests were blown away with everything! I was shocked to see how many things they did for me, such as took care of place cards and signs and the vendors. I wouldn't recommend anyone else for your special day! Thanks to Fredda, Loren and Christie my wedding day was unforgettable!

Sent on 10/11/2011

Jessica · Married on 11/14/2009

It is a year after my wedding and I still think Nellie's did an amazing job! I even went back to them to help celebrate my 1yr anniversary. I loved Nellie's because of the staff and what they had to offer, namely in the way of food AND a wedding planner! Nina, Freda, Susan, and Tammy were all great. My planner even gave me her cell phone number for that "freak out" moment. They gave to-do lists and asked questions I hadn't even considered. Nellie's Catering REALLY knows what they are doing! They provided a fantastic tasting party where I actually found a few new appetizers. They also provided all the decor for my wedding for free and even set-up and decorated the rental furniture at my venue. The staff kept the food fresh and wrapped it all up at the end of the night for easy clean-up. There was absolutely nothing more I could have asked of the staff or the food. The prices were fair in comparison to other catering companies but the amenities they offered made the expense far more valuable. Whether you have no clue what you are doing or know exactly what you want, Nellie's will make it happen!! I was so impressed, I recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 11/19/2010

Alyssa · Married on 04/08/2017

Hiring Nellie's was the BEST decision we made while planning our wedding. We live in Tampa, but our wedding and reception were in Anna Maria and Bradenton, respectively. They made planning everything so easy. You have multiple phone calls and meetings and they take care of all of the logistics, and that was huge for us, since we were out of town (even though we weren't THAT far away). By the time the wedding arrived, everything was set, and I had zero stress at all. The food was great, they let us provide our own sodas and alcohol (which saved us a ton of money), and all the rentals were handled seamlessly. You will not regret hiring Nellie's!

Sent on 04/12/2017

Carrie · Married on 04/03/2014

All out of town brides (and I'm sure in town too) MUST hire Nellie's!!! Their delightful, hard working, funny, thoughtful staff will make your day more beautiful, yummy, organized and fun than you ever hoped a catering company could!!!! Did you know your catering company should do ALL of that? Well, I did not, until I started working with my superb team! From the first to the last email and phone calls from Fredda, Brie and Mary Kay I was calmer, happier, more organized and therefore could enjoy everything fuller and spend time on other wedding tasks. My husband and I were a bit shocked at how often we would need to talk with Fredda about the ceremony, because we had no clue what we were doing, but we needed every meeting! They take you through every moment of the evening. Their organization and room of goodies to use at your wedding (money saver!) is impressive. I THANK God for their guidance, flexibility, support, ideas, upbeat attitudes, and all the little things they did for us! They worked within our budget and listened to what we wanted and made it happen! The tasting were so much fun and they made it happen on a weekend I flew in town with my mom to figure out wedding details. I reason I gave them a 4.8 instead of a 5.0 is because I wish they would have pushed us to order more of our desserts. The desserts, a combo of a bunch of things- 2 types of cake pops, 2 types of cake shooters, and 2 types of bon bons (requested macaroons, but they couldn't make it happen)- was so delicious that everyone wanted one of everything instead of the three each we had budgeted for. Did I mention they will make your day so much less stressful which means you will get to enjoy it more? My advice, is to hire them, and remember to walk slowly because the day will end in a split second and you will want to experience it all over again! When it is time for a renewing of vowed, anniversary party or any type of party I need in Sarasota, Nellie's will be my catering service.

Sent on 10/05/2014

Rachel · Married on 05/28/2012

Wow! I cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience was with Trisha at Nellie's Catering. We got married at Selby botanical gardens and Nellie's is so informed about their site, policies, etc. I did not have to hire a wedding planner (and was able to plan the entire wedding from Chicago) BECAUSE of Nellie's catering. They are so much more than a catering service.

Catering:
    The food was delicious and they have a comprehensive menu with various price points. The staff will work with you to create a menu that you like and can afford.

Wedding Planning/ Coordinating:
    Trisha was wonderful throughout this process. Everywhere she was looking for ways to make the most of our budget. She is SUPER responsive to emails and calls. I actually didnt get to meet her until the week of our wedding, but I felt like I had already known her from our conversations. At times, our conversations felt a bit rushed, but I always felt that I had ample opportunity to speak with her or email her if I needed. The staff really helped me through every aspect of the wedding, from food to decorations, to extras for the guests. I was able to drop off all of our decorations at our last meeting and they transported everything to the venue and set everything up.

We decided to use their additional service of a wedding coordinator (someone who is there for your rehearsal and day of, who helps to orchestrate the entire ceremony). I would HIGHLY recommend this service!! Fredda, who is the owner, was our coordinator. She is very sweet and sometimes a little over-excited and wordy for my tastes, but she is WONDERFUL! She really knows her stuff and her advice is really helpful (e.g., having cold, wet paper towels for cooling ourselves in the hot sun was a lifesaver!).

Another amazing bonus from this caterer is the prop room! This saved us lots of money on rentals and decorations. You are allowed to use anything from their prop room (full of candle holders, vases, glass containers, mirrors, etc.). There is a florist who also works with Nellie's (for additional charge, but at good prices). I used her as our florist. She was really responsive and I liked her designs. When there was an issue with the flowers and she could not get new ones, she put in extra time to find fake blooms and wire them onto real stems to make them look more real.

The only reason why I give 4 stars for professionalism is because the staff was sometimes late for our meetings and once even forgot about a phone meeting. But overall, they were very responsive and everything turned out beautifully on our wedding day!

Sent on 07/01/2012
  • Leah

Leah · Married on 01/28/2012

We are not from the Sarasota area, but we only heard good thing things about Nellie's from our local relatives. They did not disappoint. The food was great (we recommend the Chicken Pohl, a Nellie's original!) and the variety of options available truly made it possible to personalize our event to what we wanted. We were able to adjust our budget to include extras such as a coffee bar and additional entree options for picky eaters and vegetarians. There were points where my husband and I wondered if everything would come together but we crossed our fingers...and everything went off with a hitch.

One great bonus with Nellie's is that they provide a wedding planner, something we did not originally budget for (and didn't feel we really needed). The attention to detail that was provided by Nellie's paid off tenfold. And, yes, you do need a wedding planner, especially if you are not local. Nellie's helped us to create and set up a candy bar, they assisted with our DIY list by printing menus and wedding programs, and Fredda attended the rehearsal, providing detailed schedules for the wedding party, while allowing our pastor to still handle the actual logistics of the ceremony. When we had to adjust numbers and seating assignments, Nellie's rolled with the punches and helped to reorganize our pricing and seating. I planned to do my own table numbers and then did not have time, so Nellie's made table numbers last minute, using supplies I had already purchased and handed over to them. Even though we were not local, once the wedding day arrived, I felt as if friends were catering the event, as my husband and I had already had the chance to get to know several staff members.

Thank you, Nellie's (and to Loren, Nina, and Fredda!), for seeing our vision and making it a reality!

Sent on 02/12/2012

Amanda · Married on 04/03/2010

Nellie's is an absolute joy to work with. We live in Daytona, and did almost everything from out of town, and they got it perfect. The coordinator and phone meetings helped made me to answer questions I did not even know I had to ask so that by the time my wedding day arrived I seriously had nothing to worry about. Thank you Nellie's.

Sent on 04/14/2010

Bonnie · Married on 05/04/1996

Great services and the food was fantastic!!

Sent on 08/29/2007

Megan · Married on 06/16/2007

Nellie's was wonderful, not only do they cater your event, but they also have complimentary wedding planning assistance. I would not have had the wonderful day that had, if I had not used Nellie's, and my husband and I truly believe this.

Sent on 12/10/2007

This catering company was simply fantastic. Our wedding was out of town so the overall service they provided was exceptional. They helped with every detail and truly made the wedding go off without a hitch. The complete package was perfect for our needs and the food was amazing. We worked with numerous staff and truly had a great experience. They walked you through every detail to include the food, the ceremony, the timeline. I would recommend this to anyone. Thanks Nellie's for a wonderful day!

Sent on 09/15/2014

Alexandra · Married on 03/09/2013

Nellie's did a beautiful job and the food was delicious.

Sent on 03/17/2013

valeria · Married on 10/17/2009

3.5

Everything went great! they forgot my chocolate covered strawberries. BUT other than that it was great!

Sent on 11/08/2009

Laura · Married on 04/11/2009

4.2
      3.0

I used Nellie’s for wedding planning and catering, Fredda was great. Our catering manager had an illness in the family and we had to switch managers the week of our wedding; needless to say there were several things that were missed at our wedding that would not have been missed by our original catering manager but overall it was still a beautiful day. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 05/09/2010

Desirae · Married on 06/02/2012

3.5

Works very closely with you to plan the wedding.

Sent on 06/05/2012
  • User2099122 · 2+ years ago

3.6
      3.0

Nellie's was helpful but sometimes they seemed to forget about us and expect us to remember everything we had talked about from day one. The food was exceptional.

Sent on 01/25/2013

2.2
      2.0
      0.5

On a positive note, Stephanie (event coordinator) and Lindsey (both served our wedding reception) are very nice. They did a great job setting up, serving, and cleaning up. The food is very plain but we decided to go that route to accommodate guests because you can always add seasoning but you can't take it away. The biggest problems we had working with Nellie's Catering were their lack of attention to detail, lack of accountability and constant blaming other employees, unauthorized menu substitutions, and promise to refund money and not completing the transaction. Time and time again they put the wrong address on the paperwork. Each time I pointed it out Stephanie blamed the owner Fredda. I asked numerous times if the amount of food we ordered was appropriate. It was way too much - an unnecessary expense. We asked for nuts to be served and they were not. After the event I was told nuts were a garnish. Not only were there no nuts served as paid for, there were no nuts as a garnish. For months Nellie's told us the Mushroom Etoufee was gluten free. At the reception Stephanie told me it wasn't so they substituted it for something else without asking. When I called and spoke to Fredda she constantly blamed Stephanie. Instead of listening she just kept blaming Stephanie and defending herself to the point that I didn't want to hear it anymore. I kept trying to say enough and she kept going. My husband kept telling me to just hang up but I'm not a rude person. When I stated for the 3rd or 4th time "enough, lesson learned, I'll never use you again, I'm hanging up now" Fredda said she would refund us for the nuts and the other item they substituted. She confirmed our address etc. but we haven't received anything. Very unprofessional and I do not recommend this caterer.

Sent on 03/01/2015

Nellie's Catering's reply:

Dear Amy and Bob,

We immediately issued a check and an apology letter after we talked about your concerns! It was mailed certified return receipt with the United States Post Office. UNFORTUNATELY... The United States Post Office has officially lost your letter and check. I kept watching for the signature card... when no card was returned I thought maybe you were out of town or on a trip.

So YES... I was surprised when I saw the review.

Although I completely understand your feelings. "It is unfortunate that we did not get to work together during your planning. I believe that you would have had a different perspective of me personally...and Nellie's."

We are happily refunding you the amount of $123.00 for inconsistencies noted for your event on 1/1/2015.- Second time.

Craig and I totally sympathize with you on all of the confusion..REALLY!!

We take FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR the inconsistencies. (No can of nuts and different gluten free meal)

We are praying that you realize that--- "We understood your concerns and wanted you to be happy."

Sincerely,