Music Now DJs Reviews

64 | Scotts Valley, CA

64 Reviews for Music Now DJs

Eric · Married on 09/16/2017

Jack was super accommodating and Music Now was a great value.
    Thank you!

Sent on 12/05/2017

Very friendly and easy to work with. Had a nice presence as both the officiant and the DJ. I really liked that he could be our officiant as well, because it was one less person I had to coordinate and I knew he would have a good presence during the ceremony. I felt confident he could handle any situation. Also, he was very open to my ideas but also had good advice on how to make those ideas work, or how to make them better.

Sent on 03/17/2015

bryan · Married on 09/04/2011

We employed Jack Crawford as the DJ for our wedding reception at Michael's on Main in Soquel on Labor Day weekend. We went to a bridal expo in Santa Cruz and spoke with several DJs. We wound up going with Jack based upon both a recommendation from our event coordinator and our first impression of him. We noticed right away that he's got that quintessential big, deep, FM-radio voice that gives your event instant professional credibility. He's got a bullpen of other DJs with professional backgrounds working for him as well. He was extremely accommodating in terms of music selection. He works with you a few weeks before the event and so we told him the vibe we were going for and requested a bunch of rock music that you wouldn't normally hear at a wedding and he was able to pull it off without a hitch. Being a true professional, he gauges your audience well and keeps them dancing (which usually means you wind up hearing a lot of the same songs they always play at weddings but what can you do?). That night, he kept in constant communication with me throughout our reception to make sure we were satisfied with how things were going. What still stands out to me was his professionalism. He even asked what the attire of the event would be beforehand so that he was dressed appropriately. He was very familiar with our venue and showed up about an hour beforehand with a van full of gear to setup his sound system. During our reception it got a little chilly and he was able to adjust seamlessly by moving the dance floor from the outdoor patio to the fireside lodge while everyone was busy eating. All of our guests had a great night and everybody said it was one of the coolest weddings they had ever attended. Jack played a major role in that and we are grateful to him for his efforts in making the night a success. All in all he is a great guy: easy to work with, professional, and good at what he does. We give him our highest recommendation.

Sent on 09/28/2011

Mark · Married on 09/26/2015

Great company great fun easy to work with

Sent on 10/21/2015

Jennifer · Married on 05/28/2016

We didn't do much corresponding before the wedding other than going over the completed wedding packet, but closer to the wedding he was very responsive an absolutely killed it on the day of! He made sure all of my special requested songs were played, even the ones that were difficult to find (i.e. special covers of certain songs). Plus, he included an awesome surprise for the cake cutting - he found out we were devoted Sharks fans a few days before the wedding and included the Jaws theme song for us at the cake cutting. I thought it was a surprise from my husband - but it was actually the DJ! He also took requests from our guests with the appropriate tact and judgment on what he knew we liked. I also got a lot of compliments on the dinner music. We hadn't even really picked anything for that, it was all the DJ. But family kept coming up to me afterwards and asking if we made it and could we send them the playlist. Really awesome DJ!

Sent on 02/08/2017

Becky · Married on 08/19/2014

3.5

I was delightfully surprised, by the suggestions and professionalism

Sent on 03/04/2015
  • X

Christina · Married on 06/12/1999

3.5

Jack Crawford was a blast!

Sent on 09/26/2008

4.2
      3.5

Our DJ did a great job. We really enjoyed all the music which was played.

Sent on 08/21/2011

3.8
      3.5

Jack from music now had excellent communication. Although the D.J he assigned to me was not as prompt in returning my calls. They were great at working with me, giving me ideas and they just wanted to make me happy. I think the volume on the microphone could have been a bit louder in order to get more peoples attention when making announcements such as first dance/cake cutting etc. Overall they had all the songs I requested and were on time setting up. I would recommend them and use them again in the future.

Sent on 08/18/2014

Stephanie · Married on 10/25/2009

2.8
      2.0

We opted to rent a sound system and use an ipod for the the reception music. My husband picked up the system and the person in charge was a little too particular about the cords being put away right and was a little paranoid. When I dropped the system off he was complaining about how the cord were put away and made several comments I feel he should have just kept to himself about the system being left on and the $3 lapel mic cover missing... which are very easy to loose when taking off and on.

Sent on 01/19/2010

Music Now DJs's reply:

Our policy for returns when the client has a unit through the weekend, we only charge one day. They have between 9am and 12 noon to return the rental item. Our contract and voicemail greeting stipulates all rental items require an appointment for pick ups and returns. This client was over a day late and I was nice enough to not charge them a late fee. When clients rent items such as this, we have to be very specific on the use of the system. It comes in a carrying case and has foam fitted sections for the items it comes with. The cables have to be wrapped a certain way along with the lapel mic cord. The cables came back all twisted and non useable after this client use. I was non confrontational except to let them know the damages which I incurred the cost for.

I was told by the client and the venue staff that this unit worked great! I think their response to the experience is unfair considering the fact that they were late returning the unit and the damages also done which they were not charged for.

The person that returned the unit was annoyed, because the original person that picked up the unit did not explain our return policies.

Haley · Married on 06/24/2017

2.6
      1.0

While we had heard great things about Music Now, we were disappointed by their services. We used Andre as a our DJ and I would not advise using him or Music Now at your wedding. Here are the experiences we had that you should be aware of if you are considering using them:

1) ORGANIZATION: They were very organized in gathering the timeline/information for our wedding and were timely in their e-mail responses. However, on wedding day, we were extremely disappointed in the series of events that occurred. During the reception, the DJ announced that he was going to play a song for the Mother-Son dance. After 3 minutes of silence, he played a different song. While the owner said the song was not working and we understand this happens, Andre did not take the initiative to smooth over the situation and quickly play something else.
    2) MUSIC/TRANSITIONS: While most of the songs played stayed within our requests and Andre did a great job keeping the dance floor full, we noticed that there were hardly any transitions between the songs. The music went out 2-3 times during the reception and between a few of the songs, it took about 10 seconds for a new song to start playing. We thought it demonstrated a lack of professionalism and preparation.
    3) PROFESSIONALISM: After the wedding, I(the bride) noticed a text message from Andre from during the wedding that read "I'm tired but its going." The owner explained that Andre meant to text this message to a friend. Even if it was a mistake, it demonstrated a serious lack of professionalism on the part of the DJ.
    4) FEEDBACK: The groom and I made a mistake when signing the contract and did not realize we would need to pay overtime to cover the length of our reception. This was not brought up to us until minutes before the contracted end time. Fortunately, the owner did not make us pay the overtime to compensate for our negative experience. When providing the owner with feedback, he made excuses for the negative feedback given.

Sent on 07/06/2017

Music Now DJs's reply:

After talking to the DJ, the wedding coordinator and the catering staff, we were a bit shocked by the many responses we had. Regarding the brides feedback about just giving excuses. That's not the case. As the owner of Music Now, I have to hear from all involved. For example. The Mother Son dance. The MP3 song that was suppose to play wouldn't play, even though it played fine when we checked it as we do with any downloaded song we get. So the silence was due to DJ Andre explaining the song won't play, and can he suggest another song. It's very rare, but when something like this happens, all eyes and ears are on the DJ so it's a very uncomfortable situation. The powers that be couldn't come up with a song right away, so Andre suggested a song and they agreed with the song. It was played as soon as he punched it in. When there's an issue like that, time seems to go on forever. It's very nerve racking. So we can understand the clients point of view. As far as transitions of songs, we don't beat mix music, but we do segue between most if not all songs. During dinner and the cocktail time, we play background music where many songs will end and then the next song begins right after. Our DJ software will automatically segue songs on it's own, even if the DJ doesn't manually do it. Regarding the clients statement all we did was make excuses, that's not really what I was doing. I had to explain the correct reason for situations that came up, which I will do when they don't have the right information. We were very apologetic, plus we decided not to charge for the overtime. The clients were the point of contact, so they were the ones we had to talk to about the overtime. There's never a perfect moment to discuss this as the client will be unindated with conversations with family and their guests.

But really, after all is said and done, obviously our client wasn't happy. We take this very seriously and will use it to better ourselves for future events.

Tami · Married on 10/07/2012

2.4
      0.5
      3.0

Our first warning sign should have been the positively antique modes of communication. There is an e-mail address but for most communications and the actual song request sheet Music Now sent us a paper list through US mail. They insisted that the list of song requests be faxed back; e-mail not an option. That is sort of weird but the real problem came in when they completely refused to send a new list when we requested it;They actively refused a simple request for a few cents postage. Red flag number one.

I had numerous conversations with the owner of Music Now about what we wanted to have played. Some of this was not available on their standard lists and there seemed to be some problems with the staff locating Youtube videos and/or making MP3 files for the purpose of expanding their song repertoire. My brother was able to do this in a minute or less and was fortunately interfacing with the DJ on the day of the event. Unfortunately my brother had to not only supply the music we wanted but to convince the DJ (John) that plugging an iPod into his mixing set-up would not "hurt" (actual words) his equipment. I understand that not everyone is technically savvy but a man who plays music at weddings should be able utilize modern music equipment.
    The worst was the music he played. We wanted hava nagila, he played fiddler on the roof first! Then a terrible chabad version of hava nagila that was awful, we had to keep dancing way longer than necessary. He played the wrong song for the countdown dance and then St Elmo's fire for the cake cutting. We are not in our 50s nor at a bar mitzvah. I was very sepcific about modern music, john played a horrendous MJ medley for nearly 12 minutes when we only had 60 minutes to dance. He was terrible.
    When I complained, his boss essentially blamed me for not having the "packet" all ready, after I had asked for a new one! and reviewed specifically with him and the DJ my requests. not recommended

Sent on 03/10/2013

Music Now DJs's reply:

It's obvious both the bride and groom were unhappy with our services. It's hard to make a complete and accurate response when the wedding was last year. Many of the statements made by the bride and groom our misleading and unfair. 1. Music Now or any professional DJ service have to abide by copyright laws when downloading music. We try our best to explain this. With all the music available to listen to on youtube, etc. some clients think we have the availability to play it on our sound system, when in fact, unless the client can provide us a song, in most cases, we don't have the ability to play those specific songs. 2. This client was mailed their wedding packet a full year before the date of their event. Apprx. 1 month prior to their event, I, the owner, received an email asking if we could email them another wedding packet as she said the one we mailed to her was all messed up with their scribbling notes, etc. Music Now is happy to scan our packets and email them when needed. I kindly asked the bride to mail what she had and we would go from there. We NEVER refused to email, let alone mail her another packet. 3. We did receive the packet in the mail one week before the event. Be advised, we were communicating with the coordinator they hired at this point which was actually 2 weeks prior to the wedding. The coordinator was in possession of the packet and promised to mail it back to us right away. It was actually very readable and not scribbled and unreadable as the client said. As we have done for thousands of brides, we made many notes with last minute changes on the packet. We jumped through hurdles and spent many hours of overtime making last minute changes on their packet. Some of the changes for music and formatting were done by phone on the Thursday and Friday before their event which was on Saturday. According to their wedding coordinator, the couple was out of the country on vacation prior to this event and wasn't available to talk to us. The last conversation I had with the bride, she said to me, it wasn't either of our faults. A lot of the blame was put on the coordinator. The event coordinator at this venue also commented about the lack of the coordinators functionality and service. Personally, I only had one conversation with the coordinator 2 weeks before the wedding. At that time, she told me the bride was out of the country for a month and wouldn't be back until one week before. This was after several attempts my office Manager to reach the bride. Music Now did the best we could with the information we had. The day of the event, our DJ John did get rattled due to the grooms outburst at him. The groom used some very unacceptable language to John. In our contract agreement, the contract terms specifically state, Interference by any unauthorized person(s), including verbal harassment, is grounds for immediate termination of our performance. John decided to let it roil off his shoulders, but was shaken up a bit by the Grooms outburst. There were a lot of discrepancies with the statements by both the bride and groom on their reviews. The groom posted a separate review several months ago. Music Now strides to make every event the best possible performance. FYI, I did talk to their DJ John after this event. According to John, the first time the bride was able to talk to him wasn't an ideal time and he wasn't prepared, nor had the time to talk specifics with her. We highly suggest clients talk to to the DJ several months before their event. Our policy is if they're not clicking with that specific DJ, we can schedule a different one. I did schedule John a couple of months prior to the wedding date as he was very familiar with the wedding venue. John did try and contact the client on a couple of occasions. Apparently, there were a few back and forth messages. All the DJs here at Music Now leave specific instructions of a good time to reach the DJ for phone consultations when the client is not available to meet in person. I received an email from the bride, she thought John was stressed and was worried about his ability to handle her event. That call was made when John was not available to talk specifics. The bride told me that John would be fine after they eventually were able to talk in detail. I really don't know what else we could have done to make this event run smoother than it did. Music Now has been in business since 1987. We have policies and instructions for our clients to keep things organized. I think it's unfair for these clients to put the total blame on Music Now when there were many factors overlooked.

Laura · Married on 08/25/2012

1.6
      1.0

VERY UNHAPPY WITH THIS COMPANY-I WOULD NOT USE THEM AGAIN FOR ANY EVENT.
    ------------
    DJ arrived 20 minutes before the ceremony and did not sound check the wirelass lapel mike or the volume on the wired mike before the wedding ceremony. When the lapel mike was on, the sound was distorted, squealy, and with a loud buzz during the first part of the ceremony. Honestly, it would have been better to turn the sound system off.
    Then it seemed like the DJ had found a loose connection on his equipment and and long as he held the plug in place, the sound was okay ... until the battery ran out mid-way through the ceremony.
    ---------
    People at the back of a very small ceremony (100 people) could not hear the vows. The poor sound quality almost ruined the ceremony. During the sales call to close the deal, Jack had stated that either he or his protege Scott would work this event. We didn't get that in writing (didn't realize we needed to) and so at the pre event meeting another DJ was substituted. The asisgned DJ mostly did a good job at the reception, but the equipment he used at the ceremony was not working properly. I feel like if one of the people promised had been there, they would not have had such poor equipment. I would not use this company, but if you do, be sure to get everything single detail in writing ... who will work the event, what time they will arrive, will they check the sound prior to the event, etc.

Sent on 09/01/2012

Music Now DJs's reply:

In response to this post. The DJ assigned to this event, Andre was introduced to the client and was able to do a sit down consultation with the bride and her Mother. At no point was there anything said by the client, that she was unhappy that myself, the owner, Jack Crawford, or Scott Trugman was not assigned to them. Clients have the option to request anyone of Music Now DJs for and additional request fee. This client opted not to pay the request fee for myself or Scott. The statement that I promised myself or Scott is false. I explain to all clients during the initial sales call that if they are not happy with the DJ I assign them, to let us know. However, this has never been an issue as all of our DJs are professional and non cheesy. Regarding the equipment at the ceremony. There is a wireless lapel microphone that is attached to the officiate. The pick up of the mic is suppose to face out towards the bride and groom so they can be heard as they repeat vows. 1. The officiant for this event would not let Andre explain this to him and said he knew everything there is to know about the mic and walked off. Unfortunately, the officiant put the mic on where the pick up of the mic was facing in. 2. The arrival of the DJ. We arrive at the reception site 1 1/2 hours before the start time for set up, so we have enough time to travel to the ceremony site when it's in a different location as Andre did for this event. It only takes a couple of minutes to set-up the ceremony sound system. Andre was there and ready with plenty of time to set up and do a sound check. He was there 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony. Not 20 minutes as the client said. Not sure how the bride knew if Andre was there 20 minutes before the event as she didn't arrive herself until 15 minutes after the start time of 3:00. Andre had more than enough time to do what he needed. The client made a statement about the battery running out 1/2 way through the ceremony. This NEVER happened! FYI, we normally charge extra for early set up to accommodate 2 event locations. This client was not charged this. Regarding the sound issues for the ceremony, we always explain when doing events at Lovers Point, or any location that is outside, there might be sound issues. This was also told to the client. The equipment problem stated by the client is also false. Or should I say, she has the wrong answer to what the problem was. The officiant has a wireless lapel mic. The singer had a wireless hand held mic. Both wireless mics are on the same frequency. This was explained to the officiant and the singer. Both mics can't be on at the same time or they will cancel each other out, or make a distorted sound. Both mics were sound checked and tested before the ceremony. Unfortunately, the officiate could not be told to turn his mic off so we could accommodate the keyboardist and singer during the worship songs. Fortunately, the Father of the bride was able to tell the officiant to turn his mic off which fixed the issue by then. Regarding Andre holding a wire or cable to make it work better. That is wrong. Andre had is hand on the volume knob so he could adjust the volume. We turn the volume level up as the bride and groom repeat vows. There was NO holding a wire etc, as the client stated to make the wireless work. I have to add.........we jumped through many hurdles for this client as she made many many last minute changes on how her ceremony would be formatted. The changes were all made the week of the event. They were upset we couldn't supply a sound system that would accommodate other singers and a keyboard player. As far as the whole event is concerned, the DJ Andre was asked to perform for another 1 1/2 hours as the reception party was in full swing and they wanted to continue with the party. Also, the DJ was given a generous tip after. The statements posted on this site I am guessing was from the bride. Her statements are very miss leading and unfair in my opinion as I had a long meeting with Andre to discuss all of the specific complaints. Music Now strides in making every wedding or event the ultimate life time experience.

Kelly · Married on 06/07/2008

1.6
      1.0

Terrible service! Do not use this DJ company. I never even spoke with them prior to them attending the wedding, they forgot to call me. They showed up, played music that I had asked not be played, were 40 minutes late in doing the toast and the DJ wasn't even friendly!

Sent on 10/14/2008

Music Now DJs's reply:

This client was left a message on several occasions, by letters, email and phone calls with only one return call from them. The wedding packet has a cover letter as well as more information on the packet explaining it is up to the client to return the packet no later than one month prior to their event. As a courtesy, we will call to remind them to return the wedding packet at the due date. There were 3 different contacts to correspond with. The mother of the bride was the main contact. The bride (who wrote this revue) was left 2 messages as well. We finally had a brief conversation regarding their wedding packet and to confirm the music selection. Their DJ also tried to contact them and ended up leaving messages. Regarding the lateness of the toast, this venue runs the show. We take our orders from this venues coordinator, which we have worked at for over 20 years. The toast was delayed due to circumstances beyond our (the DJs) control. I think this client’s view of the circumstances is misleading and at times we the DJ Company are the fall guys. We have been performing at weddings for over 23 years and have had to deal with fallouts like this at no fault of our own. It's unfortunate when situations like this are viewed in a distorted way then what actually took place which is unfair to professionals like ourselves.

So there is no miscommunication, we keep written dates and times when messages were left in the data base for specific client records.