Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood Reviews

244 | Thurmont, MD

244 Reviews for Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood

Alex · Married on 08/19/2016

Julie literally saved my wedding. When our original venue went out of business 5 months before the date I thought we were going to have to cancel the whole thing, I had no idea that it was the best thing that could have possibly happened.

From the first day we contacted Thorpewood, Julie was on the ball to help figure out how to make everything come together on an accelerated timeline. The whole process was a pleasure and she was exceptionally professional, but what really blew my mind was how seamless everything felt on the day of the wedding itself. Thorpewood is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been lucky enough to spend time and Julie kept everyone moving and everything going flawlessly -- I'm not sure how she pulled it off but even the weather was perfect in a notoriously hot August! The fabulous payoff of all of this hard work is that I got to actually have fun at my own wedding and enjoy the really special magic that is Thorpewood. I enthusiastically recommend Thorpewood to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 08/24/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Alex! Such a fun day with family and friends! It was a true pleasure working with you to plan this very special day!! Thank you for trusting us!! Thanks for the great review!! Hope to see you again soon!!

Derek · Married on 08/13/2016

Beautiful place, Julie worked with us, and always responded quickly and made everything a breeze.

Sent on 08/23/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Derek!! :) We look forward to seeing your photos!!

Carlee · Married on 08/06/2016

My husband and I got married at Thorpewood this year in August and it was everything we imagined and more. We worked very closely with Lexi who is seriously a wonder. She was always so willing to do whatever we asked of her which is imperative in planning a wedding. We were told over and over again that our wedding was beautiful which had everything to do with such an amazing place. It was the perfect mix of seclusion and beauty. Will be recommending for a very long time. Thank you to everyone who played a part in our special day at Thorpewood! We couldn't have done it without you. :)

Sent on 12/21/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Carlee! Thanks for this wonderful review! We are so happy that your wedding day was wonderful and you will recommend Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood "for a long time"! Yay!! Lexi enjoyed working with you to prepare for the perfect wedding celebration. All the best!!

Karissa · Married on 08/05/2016

We cannot express how thankful we are for the Thorpewood staff that made our wedding such an exceptional night. Not only is the venue exceptionally beautiful and unique, it came equipped with a trustworthy team that we were so grateful for. Lexi was on top of everything we needed - she was incredibly attentive, caring and cheerful during the entire wedding planning process. We received so many compliments on the beautiful venue and the quality of service - our guests felt so cared for that evening and we did not have to think about anything aside from enjoying ourselves. Many told us it was the best wedding they have ever been to and we owe that all to Lexi and the Thorpewood staff.

Thorpewood was the PERFECT choice for our wedding - I cannot recommend it enough!

Sent on 08/09/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you so much Karissa! We are so happy that your wedding day was filled with so much happiness! We strive to make sure that our clients experience no stress on the day of their wedding and we do our best to take care of all the little details. The ThorpeWood staff so appreciates your wonderful and quick review of your day. We wish you and Colin much happiness! Please be sure to also review your vendors, especially your caterer! :)

Lindsey · Married on 07/30/2016

When I first started looking for a wedding venue, I knew I wanted something woodsy, unique, and just different than your typical ballroom and satin covered chairs. Thorpewood was all of that and more. This venue is secluded and located in the depths of the Catoctin Mountains and is typically 10 degrees colder than the surrounding area, which is perfect if you're planning on having a late summer wedding. Lexi, Julie, and the rest of the staff were nothing but helpful and didn't freak out when we told them we were bringing a Uhaul full of decorations as well as renting a full bar, a bunch of wine barrel cocktail tables, and a photo booth! Lexi was always quick to respond to any of the questions I sent her through email and was able to calm any fears I had about the weather on the day of. When it poured absolute buckets all afternoon leading up to and during what was supposed to be an outdoor ceremony, she did an amazing job of contacting all my vendors and creating a back up plan, helping to transform the inside of the lodge into a truly magical ceremony site. Even after the ceremony, Lexi and the rest of the staff did an amazing job of transitioning the ceremony site back into the dining area while everyone else was downstairs at cocktail hour and after dinner they even helped to pack up the decorations while everyone was downstairs dancing! Not only that, but when the liquor vendor arrived with the entirely wrong schnapps for our signature drink, turning a drink that was supposed to be a bright teal color into a muddled yellowish brown, Lexi personally called around to nearby liquor stores, trying to find ones that had the correct schnapps in stock. I didn't even know about this until my mother told me after the wedding! Lexi and the staff of Thorpewood really went above and beyond and made our wedding into an unforgettable experience. I wish I could give them more than five stars! They were just unbelievable!

Sent on 08/16/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Wow! What a day!! Thanks so much for taking the time to review us...with so many details of your day!! It was a pleasure helping sort out things that seemed to go a bit off schedule! :) We are so glad that the day will be a great and wonderful memory. All the best.
  • User5619953 · 2+ years ago

This place is beautiful and Julie is amazing! Leave your worries at the door....they have you covered from beginning to end! Would highly recommend to anyone looking for the perfect place to get married....this ridiculously beautiful venue and highly experienced staff will make life a whole lot easier while planning your perfect day! I wish I could give more than 5 stars!!

Sent on 11/30/2015

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you!! We are glad so glad you think so!!
  • Jacqueline

Jacqueline · Married on 07/16/2016

ThorpeWood is absolutely beautiful and Julie is amazing! Leave your worries at the door....they have you covered from beginning to end! Would highly recommend to anyone looking for the perfect place to get married....this ridiculously beautiful venue and highly experienced staff will make life a whole lot easier while planning your perfect day! I wish I could give more than 5 stars!!

Sent on 08/17/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Jackie! It was a wonderful day...with a few little bumps, but hopefully they will be a distant memory. We look forward to seeing you up on the mountain for a retake of your photos! We know the second time will be a charm....as long as you get a new photographer!

Cassie · Married on 07/09/2016

AMAZING. Give them your ideas and trust their expertise. It was a perfect wedding that will live on with us forever. Also, trust their vendors list. It made it so easy to go with people that know the space. It was the easiest process. Julie and her crew know how be professional and fun. Thanks for the best day of my life!

Sent on 07/19/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks so much for sharing your happy experience with us! We wish more clients would use the vendors on our preferred list...as you say, it makes all the difference! Yours was a memorable day!! I hope that Mojo has recovered for all the activity! Can't wait to see more photos!! Congratulations...see you soon!

Susie · Married on 06/26/2016

Thorpewood is a beautiful venue! Julie was super organized and experienced. There are many ceremony sites within the venue, and they have a good rain back up plan. We used Renaissance Catering. They were very accomodating as well, and definitely knew what they were doing. Everyone worked together. We felt a little rushed at the end of the night, but it's like a good party that ends on a high note! Julie and her staff were very helpful in putting out decorations and subsequently cleaning up at the end of the night. Julie guided the entire night and kept all of us on track. I would highly recommend this venue as a wedding site. Written by the mother of the bride.

Sent on 07/08/2016

Ashley · Married on 05/21/2016

Giving a 5 star rating is so basic but Julie and Thorpewood deserves it. My original venue for cancelled 8 days before my wedding and God blessed me with this perfect venue. Julie pulled my entire wedding together in a week and I was completely blown away. She has multiple ceremony spaces inside and out and the lodge is stunning. So many people asked me "where did you find this place, it's beautiful" my idea of a perfect wedding was given to me that's to Julie and her wonderful staff. I will be having more of my event here in the future. Everything was perfect

Sent on 05/23/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

I had not had a minute to reply to you, Ashley! Thanks for the awesome review!! I loved meeting you and Luke and all of your friends and family. I look so forward to seeing you both!! Remember to tell your dad to come up and fish! Luke too!! Your photos are beautiful!!! Congratulations!!!

Rick · Married on 05/12/2016

We purposely hold our annual community leadership program closing retreat at Thorpewood. The combination of the beautiful natural setting, the flexible design of the lodge facility, and the dedication and commitment of the staff make this the perfect location to conclude our annual program. I would highly recommend Thorpewood as a venue for any gathering that requires focus, undivided-attention and a peaceful and beautiful setting.

Sent on 05/16/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you Rick...so much!! We love have Leadership Frederick County on the mountain! Always a wonderful day for us too!!

Rev. D. · event on: 05/01/2016

Julie and the staff at ThorpeWood were five stars in every area. ThorpeWood provided a most beautiful environment for our Men's Retreat. I can't recommend both the location and staff highly enough, and recommend ThorpeWood wholeheartedly.

Sent on 05/16/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Tim!! It has been a pleasure working with you and your wife as you both planned wonderful retreats for your church members! Come back soon!!

Cara · Married on 03/25/2016

Mountain Memories at Thorpewood was the BEST decision we could have made for our venue. I have been to Thorpewood many times over the years and could not wait to show it to my then fiance as an option for our wedding. After the tour I asked if we should keep looking and I was so excited when he said we had found our place. Luckily we only had to go to one place because Thorpewood was so amazing! We used the lodge for our ceremony and reception, but all of their locations for the ceremony are beautiful. It is so nice to have so many options all at one location.
    The vendor list that Julie gave us was also extremely helpful! We used Renaissance Chef as our caterer and they were also amazing.
    The best parts of Mountain Memories are Julie and Lexi! We worked with Julie and her help was priceless. She responded to all of my crazy emails (sometimes 5 or 7 in a day) very promptly. She always had an answer and calmed my nerves with each response. They use an online seating chart which made everything so easy. I inputted my guests and I was able to easily move them around. I could also move the tables virtually to see different set ups.
    The day before the wedding we all went up for the rehearsal and decorating. Julie was so helpful with setting up.
    The day of the wedding was flawless. Julie kept us informed of any thing that was going on. She had great suggestions and ideas about when things should happen. We didn't have to make up a timeline she already had it done!
    I was worried about how I was going to clean up all of the decorations we spent 2 hours putting up.... Julie and her amazing crew had everything ready at the end of the night for us to pack up!
    I cannot wait to use them again for another event! My wedding was the best day ever thanks to the amazing staff of Mountain Memories at Thorpewood.

Sent on 04/20/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Why thank you Mrs. Clements!!! It was such a pleasure working with you, and your mom, over the past many months to insure your wedding day was ALL that you had hoped for. Your planning and ideas came together so nicely...the lodge looked beautiful on Maryland Day!! We look forward to seeing you and Chris often!! Many thanks and best wishes!!!

Jeannie · Married on 03/19/2016

My daughter was married at Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood on March 19, 2016, and everything was perfect!! Our first meeting, in early Fall 2015, was with Julie Castleman and she gave us a tour of the entire property on her fun golf cart. Her friendly personality and willingness to spend time with us gave us great confidence in ThorpeWood right from the beginning. My daughter and her fiancé had planned to hold their ceremony outdoors in the beautiful pine cathedral, but weather changed that plan - in a good way! Although Friday the 18th was a warm day, temperatures were dropping and snow was forecast for Saturday, the 19th. It did snow, and we held the ceremony inside instead, and it was gorgeous! With the snow falling outside, visible through the walls of windows, and the beautiful fire and lighting inside, the wedding was like something from a Hollywood set. I can’t imagine a more beautiful venue. The snow covering the trees also made for amazing outdoor photographs! Many thanks to Lexi Hartner, our onsite coordinator, for putting my mind at ease on Friday when I was initially worried about snow. Lexi was there every step of the way to make sure things went smoothly, and to make things even better, she is SO NICE! Her knowledge and experience, her can-do attitude, and her obvious determination that Kelly and Mike have the wedding of their dreams made for a perfect day and we couldn’t be happier with how things turned out. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!
    Jeannie Martin, Mother of the Bride

Sent on 04/15/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Wow! Thank you for this wonderful review and for sharing your personal thoughts and highlights of Mike and Kelly's wedding day at ThorpeWood! We are hopeful that all of our clients fill this way!! All the best!!

Kelly · Married on 01/31/2016

I hosted a baby shower at Thorpewood for a good friend of mine. The price was great, and Julie was extremely responsive and helpful throughout the entire thing! The original date of the shower was Jan 23rd, but we naturally received a huge snowstorm around that time and needed to reschedule. Julie was very obliging and understanding and we rescheduled for the following weekend.

The venue is gorgeous and we were given more than enough time to set up and clean up. What was really great, though, was Julie and an associate of hers helped us prep the entire thing. They assisted us with decorations and gave us helpful suggestions on where to place certain things, how to arrange tables for games, etc. They were right there with us to hep us prepare everything, and the event went great! I'd definitely recommend Thorpewood for any special event you may have. It's beautiful, private, and the staff there are hugely helpful and friendly.

Sent on 02/23/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thanks Kelly for this wonderful summary of your event and how pleased you were! It was a fun day and I wish the mother-to-be a happy labor day!!! You did a great job planning! :)

Julie provided outstanding service to make my daughter's wedding a memorable occasion. All of our guests raved about the beauty and uniqueness of Thorpewood. The setting at holiday time was sparkling with lights, flowers, and evergreens. The huge tree and stone fireplace were a perfect place for the wedding ceremony. From initial planning to the last dance, everything was handled with professionalism and an accommodating spirit.

Sent on 12/17/2015

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind review! It was a pleasure helping Morgan and Jason planned this very important, very beautiful day!!

Our wedding at Thorpewood was magical! We got married during the Christmas season so we were lucky to have the huge gorgeous tree, pointsettias, and twinkly lights. Julie was phenomenal from start to finish and was very open to us adding our own touches especially in our ceremony. She gave lots of great advice and guidance and was very responsive with emails (I was planning the wedding from abroad). We also decided to do our rehearsal at Thorpewood. We chose to do a more casual (ugly christmas sweater) event and got Black Hog Catering down in the tree room. It was a blast. This venue is so unique and dreamy-I highly recommend it as well as Julie's exceptional service!

Sent on 01/21/2016

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

HI Morgan and Jason: Thanks so much for taking some time to share your experience with Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood. I (Julie) loved working with you via email and phone leading up to your wedding celebration....it was such a fun and beautiful day. You are blessed with so many wonderful family and friends and I loved meeting all of them. I look forward to seeing you back in the states soon. Until then, be safe and all the best as you continue your journey!

We had the most wonderful, terrific day at Thorpewood for my son's Bar Mitzvah. I was hoping to find a place where the adults can mingle, relax, talk and enjoy good food while the kids could play outside and have fun. Thorpewood was this and more. Everything was absolutely perfect! Julie "held my hand" throughout the planning process as we created a day that would be terrific for the kids as well as for the adults. For the kids we had a hay ride, games at the field (I hired someone to run the games), ice cream bar and s'mores outside as well as inside crafts and games. Adults enjoyed the beautiful, warm atmosphere of Thorpewood as they mingled throughout the whole event, ate delicious food and listened to a terrific piano player I hired. (His name is Caleb Nei) For me, this was exactly the day I was hoping for. I got so many positive comments from guests for weeks after the event was over. It was a beautiful religious ceremony at the temple followed by a warm, amazing event at Thorpewood. Thank you to the Thorpewood staff and Canapes Catering who both made this event so incredibly special!! (I hired Kelly Hahn as a photographer and she did a wonderful job as well.)

Sent on 11/29/2015

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

We were so happy to be part of this life event for Matthew and his family! What a fun time was had by all of your guests. So glad that the weather cooperated and the kids could be outside. Thank you for choosing ThorpeWood for this event!! You did a great job planning!!
  • Y

Yee · Married on 10/26/2015

Before we even visited the grounds in person, my now husband and I knew ThorpeWood would be the perfect location and taking a tour only affirmed our sentiments. We went through a period of indecision about what type of wedding we wanted and we changed the date around a couple of times but Julie was professional, flexible, and very willing to work with us. Initially, we planned to have a traditional wedding with guests but finally decided to have a civil ceremony at our local courthouse though we still wanted to use ThorpeWood for photographs, our vow exchange, and a private dinner for two. She agreed to let us change our contract to a shorter time period and I think normally the 4 hour contract does not permit a reception but she allowed us to have our intimate dinner. Julie was always very responsive via email and she made sure we had everything we needed for the day of. She worked with us to make it easy to drop off our decor and supplies the night before even though we couldn't get up there until later in the evening. We were running just a little bit behind the day of and I was worried because we hadn't set up anything the night before since we weren't sure if they would be using the lodge before our event. When we got there, everything was set up and it looked like a dream! Julie made it look perfect without any consultation with us beforehand. We spent the first couple of hours with our photographer and Julie willingly toted us around to different sites in the golf-cart. She even offered to flip our records during our dinner. ThorpeWood is an eco-friendly venue and I'm proud our wedding helped fund their programs. My only complaint is that there are way too many beautiful sites, making it difficult to choose between them. Our elopement was absolutely perfect and it could not have been possible without ThorpeWood and its exceptional staff!

P.S. Food and service provided by Canapés was totally worth the price.

Sent on 11/19/2015

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Hi Yee! Your wedding celebration was wonderful!! So intimate and special between two wonderful people! I am so happy that the day was all you and Robbie hoped for! Please keep in touch! Julie :)

Abby · Married on 10/24/2015

As you'll see from the other reviews, no doubt that if you have your wedding at ThorpeWood everything will go off without a hitch and you'll have a lovely day. Julie made everything stress-free when it came to the venue. When we sat down for our big meeting a month before the wedding to go over the details and our vendors she gave us suggestions on decorations and cute and inexpensive touches that made a big difference like having hot cider at the ceremony site. The day of she also lent us a bunch of mason jars when we were short. Timing went off perfectly and everyone had wonderful things to say.

Unlike most other wedding vendors we dealt with, Julie was super responsive to every email we sent-always responding within 24 hours and usually within an hour or so. She also kept on top of our vendors to be sure they had everything in order, which was a huge stress reliever knowing we didn't have to double check with everyone. She's also just generally a super nice and calming person to deal with-refreshing in the weeks leading up to your wedding when the worries are creeping in.

Fall timing of the wedding I was worried about since it's cooler on the mountain but it was perfect. Beautiful fall colors and chill but not so chilly I couldn't stand outside without a wrap on for the ceremony (but grabbed one for the photos afterwards).

Sent on 12/01/2015

Barbara · Married on 10/16/2015

My daughter chose ThorpeWood initially because she and her now husband wanted to get married under a willow tree and she wanted a woodsy fall wedding. ThorpeWood had all that and so much more! There are so many options there and they are all beautiful. You just can't go wrong with the setting. But to me a setting doesn't mean much if there is not a very good staff of people behind it all. This is where everything at ThorpeWood comes together beautifully. Not only is the setting beautiful but Julie, the owner and director, and her staff, take It all to perfection. She knows what she's doing and that is a relief!! We had a few glitches on our end and Julie handled it all with extreme professionalism and calmness which helped us to focus where we needed to focus. She knows how to smooth things over and make a wedding day a memorable and perfect event. Frankly I don't know what we would have done without her! She is very flexible but also has great suggestions! She's done this a lot and knows what she's doing right down to caring for the older guests' needs. Thank you Julie for going above and beyond and making our day a beautiful celebration. We also used Canapes as our caterer and the food was perfect and so delicious. We keep getting so many compliments about the setting and the food......it couldn't have been any better!!!

Sent on 10/22/2015

Melissa · event on: 10/16/2015

This was my second time camping with my Girl Scout troop at ThorpeWood. My girls love it there! Our first trip, we set up tents behind the Homestead House in the beautiful wooded setting by the pond. The second time this past October, we slept in sleeping bags inside the Homestead House in front of a roaring fire in the wood stove. What a fun and cozy sleepover for my girls! We also had a great time hiking the trails throughout the property and having a big bonfire with skits and s'mores at the fire circle they have set up near the horse stables. And because we are a non-profit Girl Scout troop, we didn't have to pay anything for this wonderful experience! Thanks to Julie and the rest of her staff for making this one of the many awesome ways ThorpeWood can be used.

Sent on 11/19/2015

Jennifer · Married on 10/04/2015

Awesome venue - Julie is very professional but still fun and put up with my rowdy crazy crowd without missing a beat. Everything went pretty smoothly. I'd recommend this venue for sure.

Sent on 10/29/2015

A lovely venue with the natural setting in the mountains of Maryland. Julie, the director always replied promptly and reacted to our requests. They made accommodations for our handicap family member. Everyone enjoyed the atmosphere and friendly service.

Sent on 11/03/2015

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

Thank you so much for taking a few moments to share your satisfaction with the service you received during your wedding celebration! Congratulations!! All the best!!

Megan · Married on 10/03/2015

In the hunt for a wedding venue we wanted a place with character, personality, some place 30 years from now we wanted to be able to say with a smile “yeah that’s where we got married!” When I came across Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood I knew just by looking through their website I had found the place. We toured and searched the property several times looking for the location that we felt best fit our ceremony and made it feel the way we wanted it to feel—intimate, personal, and relaxed. We had agreed on having the pond as the backdrop to our ceremony for about 100 people. We had determined the chair setup and the flowers and had everything planned out when a hurricane made its way up the east coast forecasting nothing but rain, low temperatures and wind for the entire week and weekend. Anyone attending the wedding would never have known that the plan was different from what they experienced. Julie and her team transformed the space in front of the fire place into what felt like an intimate and cozy ceremony site. It honestly turned out better than we had expected! Julie and her team made it seem seamless; transitioning the ceremony space into the dinner area setting up tables and the buffet in no time at all. At dinner, sitting at the sweetheart table looking out at our guests we noticed the quiet murmurings of pleasant conversations. My husband leaned over to me and quietly mentioned “you know what? Nothing has gone wrong today!” And he was right! The ceremony started right on time, we took our pictures in a timely matter before and after the ceremony while our guests enjoyed cocktails, dinner was prompt and hot, and I don’t remember a single event causing any stress. To say that Julie and her team were fantastic wouldn’t do them justice; she was the day-of coordinator successfully herding cats into the appropriate areas at the right time, deflecting any questions away from the bride and groom, working with all the vendors that we booked, redirecting attent

Sent on 01/23/2017

Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood's reply:

WOW!! THANK YOU so much for this wonderful review! We are so happy that your wedding day was memorable and perfect for you! I am so glad that I was able to play a small part ensuring that everything worked out....even the weather backup plan!!! We love sharing these reviews with others that are considering Mountain Memories at ThorpeWood for their special day!! It says you were married 1+ years ago...but no name. :) Totally respect your privacy and thank you again for trusting us!! All the best!!!!