Mount Vernon Inn Reviews

86 | Mount Vernon, VA

86 Reviews for Mount Vernon Inn

I was so pleased to have my wedding here at the Mount Vernon Inn. Everyone continues to comment on the wonderful time they had. It was great working with the MVI throughout the wedding process. The food was delicious. The staff was friendly. I appreciated how they helped to set up everything the day of-and to how I wanted everything. It was just the perfect setting. We got married outside in the sunken garden, had dinner/cake inside, and went back out for dancing. It was intimate, yet everyone could find a place to be where they were comfortable whether out on the dance floor or inside watching. We look forward
    to coming back for anniversary dinners!

Sent on 08/14/2015

Jessica · Married on 03/26/2011

This is a beautiful venue, and compared to other venues in the area, a good value, especially if your wedding is between January-March.
    The food is pretty good, and the serving staff is very experienced working weddings.
    The catering heads, Lene and Matt, are very friendly and laid back. They always got back to me when I emailed them with questions and were really flexible. I did feel that at times I had to keep track and remind them of things, and I had to oversee a lot of the details the day of the wedding, leading up to the ceremony. But once the ceremony started, everything went off without a hitch.

But to me, dealing with the few cons are worth having your wedding at this unique and memorable venue. And I did overall enjoy working with Lene and Matt.

Sent on 04/02/2011

Julie · Married on 05/02/2009

Our wedding at the Mount Vernon Inn (both ceremony any reception) was universally acclaimed by friends and family (and by us!) as one of the best weddings we'd ever been to. The venue was perfect in terms of size, and the charm and visual appeal is undeniable. It was also the most reasonable option we looked into, in terms of price! My only wish is that we had been less busy being "bride" and "groom" to really enjoy the cocktail hour (and our fabulous mashed potato bar!) and dinner.

Matt and Lene were great to work with--very low key. At first it put me off how relaxed they seemed, but by the end, I appreciated it! I wasn't a super-demanding bride, so I think that helped keep things stay simple. Matt recommended early on that we use Marita Alabaster and Holland Flowers for our flowers, and he was totally right. She knew exactly what to do to make the place look it's best, so I really appreciated the tip. The staff also told me not to bother getting a wedding planner, and they were right. I dropped off all the "stuff" (place cards, programs, menus, favors, etc.) the night before, and they made it all happen.

They don't do a traditional "tasting" the way a hotel might, so that was a little weird for us, as the wedding menu options differ a lot from what's on the regular dinner menu. But the wedding options are actually tastier, in our experience! The herb-crusted beef medallions were a total hit! People also loved the creme brulee. We heard that in general, everyone loved the food. The fact that drinks are charged by consumption is a little tough--we figured we'd be okay, since our family doesn't drink much. In the end, it looked like our friends made up for them, and we went over budget. But c'est la vie--that's the risk we took!

Overall, though, the entire experience was great. The private room up front for the bride was great--it was also a nice retreat after the ceremony for myself and my new husband. We had food and wine waiting for us there before we went off for pictures. Our guests raved about the service, as well. It was really just...pretty much perfect. I didn't have to think about a lot of things, because they just...happened. It started to rain really hard right before the ceremony was set to start, but the staff just whipped out some huge umbrellas to hold over the bridal party to keep them dry on their walk down to the tented area. The rain stopped shortly thereafter, but knowing that the staff was prepared really helped us feel taken care of.

Sent on 05/22/2009

Preethi · Married on 05/24/2008

This venue was absolutely beautiful. It wasn't the typical and, for me, boring hotel-type reception site; rather, it was elegant and historic and lovely. Both the inside and outside were charming, romantic, and elegant - exactly what I wanted. The catering director was also very flexible with us in getting us exactly the type of food we wanted - somewhat tricky with vegetarians! :)

Sent on 11/03/2008

Overall, we had a great experience at Mount Vernon Inn. We rented out the entire restaurant, which was perfect for the size of our wedding reception (Around 75 people). It is a beautiful place. We did have to get used to the idea of having guests in separate rooms, but it did allow for a more intimate dining experience. The food was also good, but I wouldn't say it was memorable. Matthew and Mariita are wonderful to work with. They are flexible, responsive, and really try and give you what you want. They do so many weddings here; they are pros.

Sent on 09/28/2012

Julie · Married on 06/05/2010

Let me first say, this is a wonderful venue, especially if you want something unique with a historical feel. We had a beautiful wedding, the food was good, and with two minor exceptions, we were pleased with the service. The waitstaff is very nice and accommodating. On the day of the event, the manager Matt did a great job. We thought the venue was a good value.

Let me next say, I agree with some of the other reviews, that you wouldn't have known that things would go so well given the service provided prior to the wedding (though things were MUCH better in the week prior to the event.) Matt is very laid back, which can be a good thing, but when you're plunking down so much money, you really want some vocal reassurance that your concerns are being heard. Often, it was really hard to tell. Follow up would be great some times, and not good other times. Our tasting was strange...we were left in a room by ourselves for a long time before someone realized that no one had told Matt we were there, and there was another couple doing a tasting in the other room. It made us feel a bit like an afterthought. And yet, in the week prior to the wedding, and the day of, there was a complete 180 and you could see the ways that Matt excels at his job. Too bad that we couldn't tell this earlier.

Sent on 06/12/2010
  • Emily

Emily · Married on 03/05/2011

3.5

Mount Vernon was the perfect place for our wedding. The venue is beautiful and really creates a really nice atmosphere. The ceremony space outside is gorgeous with the tent and balloon lights. The food is amazing, I don't think there was one guest who didn't clean their plate. I couldn't imagine a more beautiful, or more historical place, to get married.

Sent on 03/15/2011

Emmy · Married on 08/05/2007

3.5

Great ceremony and reception site. We could not have asked for a better wedding! The traditional attire the staff wears totally adds to the experience!

Sent on 05/19/2008

3.0

I recently held my wedding at Mount Vernon Inn. I am just going to cut to it.
    Positives:
    Food Selection
    Prices
    Flexibility with Wedding Coordinator
    The Venue itself
    Decor

Negatives:
    The ceremony started late and the bridal party was ready and just standing around waiting.
    If you do not rent out the entire venue ($15k food and beverage minimum) Mount Vernon will serve dinner at their restaurant during your wedding!
    Some of the restaurant patrons walked into my bridal area while I was changing dresses
    It rained and my guests had to sit on wet chairs
    The wait staff took quite a long time to bring food out and never advised us that we initiated the cake cutting. Some notice would have been nice.

Overall, I highly recommend solely because the quality of the venue, decor, food and drink. It's a great deal despite a 20% gratuity. I highly recommend to any budget bride. Just be conscious of some of the give and take.

Sent on 09/16/2015

R. · Married on 10/28/2011

1.0
      2.5
      2.0

The venue itself was great for our small wedding of 35. We could have the ceremony and then walk up right into our reserved room for our dinner. However, they dont allow amplified music (!), so the cost of live musicians will have to be added to your budget. My big reason for the lower scores, however, was because of the lack of responsiveness and professionalism of the two catering managers in our planning process, and our "head waitress/contact" appointed for our actual wedding. Neither experience was that great, unfortunately. For example, in planning, we had a meeting to set up menu and seating, but was told they had to shut down thier office for an incoming party TWENTY minutes into our meeting! Why schedule it then, and make us drive all the way down there? We where never called back and I had to do all the initiating over email and the phone to get the details done. One more example: we were given two different price quotes for things from the two managers. THAT is confusing and just shouldnt happen. My family, husband, and I made it work, however, and enjoyed our day regardless.

Sent on 01/10/2012