Mount Vernon Inn Reviews

86 | Mount Vernon, VA

86 Reviews for Mount Vernon Inn

Brad · Married on 04/11/2014

All the staff at Mt. Vernon are fantastic, and we couldn't have asked for a better venue. Everyone was responsive and accomodating in advance of the ceremony, and worked with us on budget and other issues. We had a tight budget and the Mt. Vernon staff worked with us, but we still had a wedding ceremony and reception that seemed far more lavish than what we actually paid (especially in the DC area).

The day of the ceremony, the staff were incredible. They helped with decorations, extra requests like a cookie table, and whenever we needed someone, a staff member seemed to magically appear.

We recommend Mt. Vernon to anyone we know getting married in the area.

Sent on 04/30/2014

We highly recommend Mt Vernon Inn to any couple in the DC area wanting to get married for a reasonable price in a great atmosphere. Our wedding was perfect! We rented out the whole restaurant for our reception that included 140 guests. Mariita was friendly, professional, and reassuring throughout the planning process - she was a pleasure to work with.

The setting at Mt. Vernon is historic and beautifully simple. We did not need much in the way of decorations, as the decor is enough in itself. Our table centerpieces were simple (candles and rose petals), our music was DIY (created our own playlist on a laptop and rented speakers), and we were able to focus on what mattered most - celebrating with all of our family and friends! The food was delicious, and our guests gave us great feedback about the staff's responsiveness. Everyone loved the hoe cakes! It was also a lovely touch that Mariita and Cynthia checked in on us while we were getting ready for the ceremony and provided our wedding party with champagne and snacks.

We can't say enough positive things about Mt. Vernon. Our wedding was unique, intimate, and memorable. And most importantly, we had the best night of our lives!

Sent on 05/07/2014

Megan · Married on 02/22/2014

I looked at a lot of venues in the Washington, DC Metro area before selecting Mount Vernon Inn. For comparison purposes -- we held our event on Saturday night and rented out the entire restaurant for party. We had ~100 people, but it easily could have held many more. I couldn't have made a better choice. Mariita was fantastic to work with, professional and responsive every step of the way. I am out of town a lot for work and Mariita was very accommodating with our tasting and other visits. We had a lot of customizations to our meal and Mariita/staff accommodated us with every request. We also had a unique request in that we wanted to set up an entire room with home-made cookies (part of a Western/Central PA tradition). Mariita and her staff set up the room for us and I couldn't have expected more if it has been professionally designed. I opted not to have a wedding coordinator and many of my friends commented on how smooth and natural our entire event was. I would highly recommend this venue to brides.

Sent on 06/23/2014

Melody · Married on 01/11/2014

My husband and I got married here last year and could not recommend this location enough! As a girl who really had no interest in the little annoying details of a wedding, Mariita was super helpful and sweet through the entire process. The location is wonderful, and on a nice day your guests can also tour the Mt. Vernon grounds prior to the wedding. We both felt the prices were extremely good compared to other locations in the DC area, and there is plenty of (free) parking for guests on site.

Sent on 01/20/2015

Rebecca · Married on 11/16/2013

Mount Vernon Inn was a fantastic venue for our wedding. We were sold by the ability to have the ceremony and reception in one place, food and drinks included, at the reasonable cost. Mariita Campos was always responsive and thorough in the planning process. She allowed us as much flexibility as we wanted in terms of seating configurations, timing of events, the menu, etc, and we generally found that the options and suggestions she provided worked well for us, building our confidence that the wedding day would run smoothly (and it did). Cynthia, the Banquet Manager, helped cue people’s entrances during the ceremony, so there is no need for a wedding planner or day-of coordinator if you’re reasonably organized. She added candles to the stairway from the Verandah room to the patio at the last minute, when my mother was concerned about the lighting there, as one example of the staff’s attentiveness.

The food was excellent; making the rounds to meet our guests, my husband and I noticed that most plates had been eaten clean! I appreciated that guests got to choose their entre at the table, rather than via RSVP card. A selection of appetizers was saved for my husband and I, and we were served dinner first; these are the kinds of details MVI took care of seamlessly. We loved that the charm and ambiance of the Inn allowed us to forgo flowers; the setting was lovely and felt complete just with the candles in hurricane lamps as centerpieces that MVI provided without charge. We added a fondue station only a week or two before the wedding, and it was a big hit guests.

We were married in November and the temperature for our evening ceremony was around 50 degrees. We opted for just two patio heaters to keep the tenting costs down, and most of our guests wore their coats, but the bridesmaids and I were bare-shouldered and comfortable enough. Some guests told me they felt their plates and escort cards were cleared too soon, but that's the only critique I heard

Sent on 01/05/2014

Anne · Married on 11/09/2013

I can't say enough wonderful things about the Mount Vernon Inn and its staff. Mariita and Cynthia were incredible from day 1, helping us with the menu selection, brainstorming ideas for decorating the space, and making sure we had checked all of our boxes when preparing for the wedding. This was particularly helpful as we didn't hire a wedding planner, and we were nervous about planning a wedding for 125 guests by ourselves. It was never an issue, though, because Mariita and her staff were always available and excited to help every step of the way.

We were VERY impressed by the quality of the food (we chose the filet/crab cake, fig and date stuffed chicken and pork with cornbread stuffing) and were blown away by how reasonable their prices were compared to the other venues we had considered. We never felt like we were overpaying for anything, and Mariita did a great job of managing the menu to fit our ideal budget.

At the Mount Vernon Inn, it's all about the great food, intimate space and very helpful staff who feel like family. Elsie, for instance, took care of us during our tasting and was so lovely that we made a special request for her to be at our wedding, too.

The final thing I would highlight is their flexibility. With a wedding in early November, we kept flip-flopping over whether to hold the ceremony inside vs. outside. Mariita was great--she helped us weight the pros and cons of each option, and she was so flexible with letting us make the decision at the last minute so we could gauge the weather.

Overall, the Mount Vernon Inn is the perfect venue if you're looking for a cozy, intimate wedding. That's not to say there wasn't plenty of space and a great dance floor (more like a full room for dancing!), but we truly enjoyed how calm and enjoyable the entire experience was. If we could do it again, we wouldn't do anything differently!

Sent on 12/18/2013

Caitlin · Married on 11/08/2013

The MVI was amazing! We loved the historical aspect of the venue and the food was the most incredible wedding food we have ever had. The hoe cakes are worth a trip! Mariita the MVI event coordinator was wonderful. She was very flexible, attentive, and really put a bride at ease! If I were to plan my wedding all over again I wouldn't have changed a single thing!

Sent on 01/23/2014

Alayna · Married on 10/19/2013

I had an AMAZING time at my wedding this weekend thanks to the staff at Mount Vernon Inn. The staff at the Inn was phenomenal and the food and service FAR exceeded my expectations. EVERYTHING was fresh and delicious. The venue was beautiful and unique and I would recommend it to anyone looking to host a wedding or party. The prices were excellent and for the high quality of the service and food they could easily charge much more. The guests were raving about everything and I cannot wait to make my way back there!!

Sent on 10/22/2013

We had a wonderful experience working with Mount Vernon Inn on our wedding. We had lots of changes between booking and the big day, and the staff handled them all with panache and professionalism. The setting cannot be beat, and the prices are very competitive for the D.C. area. In addition, the Inn really brings something magical about American history into the wedding… Not a quality I can quite name, but really special on the big day. We felt so lucky to be working with such experienced and professional people for such an important day.
    The food was outstanding. Many of our guests filled up on our cocktail hour. We particularly recommend the rabbit and peanut soup shooters, both of which were huge hits. Martha’s Washington’s Punch was a huge hit as well, as it tasted like cold apple pie in a glass (weird description but they kept having to make more because our guests—and we—drank it all up). We selected the hoecake and a balsamic fig salad as appetizers. They were perfectly portioned and our friends and family got a big kick out of the colonial foods. For our entrees, we allowed a choice of a petite filet with a crab cake, a walnut and cranberry stuffed chicken, and a sundried tomato encrusted red snapper. They were all popular but I would say the chicken went over especially well as it was the most seasonal of our selections. We served Martha Washington’s Cake as our dessert, which saved us money because we did not have to get a big cake at a bakery. It was delicious and they even boxed some up for our one year. I think our guests got a kick out of it. We also had an ice cream bar and pumpkin ale, fun touches Mariita was able to add at the last minute.
    Mariita was an absolute pleasure to work with. She is great about responding to emails and giving you specific information about everything in Mount Vernon’s capacity. We really appreciated her understanding and professionalism on some thorny family issues, and her flexibility as our guest list and

Sent on 10/10/2013

Erin · Married on 09/06/2013

We had our wedding at Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant last friday. The venue was perfect for our smaller wedding, we used the George Washington Room, the Verandah room, and the patio for our ceremony. My husband just loved the idea of getting married at Mount Vernon, so we just couldn't pass up the opportunity. My contact there was Marita and she is just absolutely wonderful!! She answers all questions quickly, and with a positive attitude, you never get the feeling that she has answered that same question a million times, she always responded with a happy tone. You could pretty much ask for anything and she and her staff will try their absolute best to make it happen.

The food at MV is so delicious!! We had gone there for dinner prior to the wedding just to try the food and was not disappointed, we couldn't stop eating! We then had dinner there again to try the actual menu of our wedding to see if we wanted to change anything, again was not disappointed. We had friends of ours dine with us to get their opinions and they two were very happy with the menu options. We definitely plan on just going back for dinner!

The staff at MV were so helpful during the set-up, dinner, and take down of the wedding. They were positive and happy, they didn't bug you all night, but were there if you needed anything. The staff are very quick during set-up and take down, but were sure not to damage anything. They put everything back how it was brought to them. I had brought in two big bins that had my toasting flutes, cake knife, mirrors, votives, candles, etc. They had everything labeled as to where it was supposed to be placed for the wedding, and then put everything back in the bins perfectly!!

If anyone has a wedding, or other function that they are looking for a venue, I would definitely recommend Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. You won't be disappointed!!

Sent on 09/12/2013

Kathy · Married on 08/24/2013

I loved this historic place and my guests loved the staff. Everyone is awesome there! Thank You for everything and your hardwork.

Sent on 09/02/2013

Julie · Married on 07/27/2013

From start to finish- Mount Vernon was awesome!
    We wanted to go there from the start, and Mariita made planning super easy. We secured our date, and started picking out what we wanted for our ceremony and reception, with timelines in place for when we needed to make decisions. This helped ease the stress of the details. First up- food!
    Sampling the food was a ton of fun, and we were able to pick great dishes that our family and friends loved. It's not often you get rave reviews of banquet food, but this colonial cooking did!
    We had our ceremony in the sunken garden, and elected to have the fans and draping. It really looked much nicer than the tent poles by themselves. It rained during our ceremony, so the fans weren't used, but were useful for later when it dried out and folks hung out under the tent during the reception. The rain started right before we walked down the aisle (good luck, right?) and the waiters held the doors open for us and helped the bridal party walk under umbrellas down the stairs to the tent. I am so grateful, since my dress was pretty wet after from the ground!
    Our reception went off without a hitch. The wait staff brought the bridal party our own set of apps so we were sure to get some food, and also brought us wine and beer because it is impossible to get to the bar when you're in a wedding- everyone wants to talk to you! The guests were greeted with drinks/apps upon entry to the restaurant from the ceremony. Introductions and dinner were seamless- the wait staff were more than ready to tackle our 150-person reception. The timing was spot on- no long waits between apps and salads or dinner. The dessert- delish! Yum apple and pecan pie!
    The bar was great- we had it open the entire night, and we did the consumption bar because we wanted different wines than what was offered with the fixed price bar, which worked out much better for our budget.
    We were way under our budget. Best bargain in town. Highly recommend getting married here!

Sent on 08/14/2013

Melissa · Married on 07/20/2013

For a groom who is a history buff, this was the PERFECT venue! From start to finish, during every aspect of the planning process Mariita was absolutely amazing. The food here is spectacular and no guest walked away hungry! In fact several guests have added it to their "must take" list for out of town guests. We enjoyed working with all of the staff, from those in the office helping to plan and on to the bar & waitstaff who took care of us the night of our wedding. Thru the entire process you felt as tho you were the only wedding that they were planning. Perfect venue for a family and close friend filled evening and we couldn't be happier with the way that everything turned out.

Sent on 08/27/2013

This review of Mount Vernon Inn cannot be glowing enough- they deserve 10 stars in each category based on our experience. We booked MVI about 11 months out from our wedding date and found the staff, especially Mariita Campos to be extremely patient and responsive throughout our entire planning process. We toured the venue once, visited it multiple times for dinner/lunch with family visiting from out of town and we also saw the venue set up for other weddings two times before our own big day. Each time we visited, Mariita would make sure we were taken care of and that someone was available to walk us through and answer questions. We sent a million questions about policies on decor, sparklers, menu pricing, etc and our questions were always answered within 24 hours.

The day of the wedding, the MVI team was very helpful and went above and beyond to lay out our decorations as requested, accomodate family and guests needs and keep us happily isolated from any issues. One of the things I loved most when booking this venue was the idea that you could bring your decor the day before and the staff would set it out for you so you and your family did not have to spend your wedding day doing that work. They also help pack it up at the end too.

They helped my husband's grandfather get a seat with a good view of the ceremony to ensure he did not have to sit in the heat outside or brave the stairs to the sunken garden. He was very content and we were able to see him watching us. When the best man lost my wedding band minutes before the ceremony, Mariita scoured the grounds to successfully find it even! Everyone was sweet, professional and cared a lot about our day going smoothly. The food was incredible (get the bacon wrapped pretzel appetizers and red snapper entree options- they are a hit) and all guests kept commenting on the wonderful ambiance and charm of the place. All staff were on point from coordinators to servers to bartenders.

Sent on 09/05/2013

Elisha · Married on 06/15/2013

I couldn't have picked a more beautiful venue for our ceremony and reception. Processing in down the stairs onto the brick verandah made me feel so elegant, and the surrounding grounds were the perfect setting for our wedding photos. At first I was afraid the separate dining rooms would make it hard for our guests to interact, but everyone mixed and mingled and spent most of their time on the dance floor anyway! I loved that the servers were all dressed in colonial attire. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and made sure everything ran smoothly.

Sent on 10/29/2013

It was perfect! The staff is very very professional.

Sent on 12/08/2012

Patrick · Married on 10/07/2012

We LOVED MVI! Lovely venue without a ridiculous price tag. You simply can’t have a great cocktail hour, dinner and open bar for 125 guests in DC for $15k. On top of that, the service is impeccable, and we can enjoy anniversary dinners for years to come. Matt and Mariita are great - laid back while maintaining great attention to detail. MVI doesn’t do tastings - they treat you to dinner with your menu! If you don’t like something, you can make changes. We had our ceremony and reception at MVI and used the bridal room for the bride to get dressed in. We paid extra to have the outdoor ceremony tent lined, which we HIGHLY recommend. We split the cost of lining the tent with the couple getting married the day before us (awesome), but we would have paid full price. The staff was extremely friendly and very attentive both before and during the wedding. They brought the bridal party champagne and snacks while they were getting ready and provided water bottles to guests before our ceremony. They wrapped my leftovers and had them ready to take when we left without us even asking. They also packed our cake top and all glass rentals for us to pick up the next day. Everyone went out of their way to make us feel special and cared for; exactly how you should feel on your wedding day. Matt helped with our cocktail hour menu to ensure a good variety and enough of the popular items. Our guests raved about the food and quick bar service. AMAZING meal: Colonial Hoe Cake (absolute must), stuffed tomato, and filet mignon with crab cake or broiled rockfish with a sundried tomato sauce. Guests picked their entrees at the reception so we didn’t have to take orders ahead of time. We saved $ by having a small bakery cake to cut (which MVI cut for no additional fee) and MVI provided red velvet sheet cake for the rest. Bonus: We came for our anniversary and they made the same meal for us right down to the red velvet cake. We cannot recommend MVI highly enough. You will not be disappointed!

Sent on 11/24/2013

Kimberly · Married on 10/06/2012

Mount Vernon Inn was the perfect location for the wedding ceremony and reception. We had 128 guests and it was a perfect amount for the venue. We had live entertainment (Spencer Bates) and the setup worked great for the cocktail hour, dinner rooms, and entertainment. Matt and Mariita were amazing to work with and really responsive throughout the whole process. We booked the venue over a year before our wedding so there were a lot of questions. I was really impressed that they didn't try to oversell you on anything and were very helpful in working with us on our budget. Everyone raved about the service, the beauty of the ceremony space and restaurant, and the delicious food. We did sit down meals and had a cocktail hour before that with the mashed potato bar and appetizers. All of our guests loved the bacon-wrapped pretzels. For drinks, we did Martha Washington's rum punch, the Mount Vernon beer and wine, as well as the President-themed beer. Also they were very accommodating with dietary restrictions for guests - we had people with crab allergies and vegans. The vegan meal was delicious from what I heard. Overall, I don't think there is a better place to get married in DC and it's by far the area's best kept secret. I'd recommend this to any bride, from a small wedding to where you could just do the ceremony space and 20 guests to a larger wedding like ours where we rented out restaurant.

Sent on 10/29/2012

Christina · Married on 09/15/2012

The venue was exactly what i was looking for, it had a historic homey feel. It was perfect with separate rooms that allowed guest who didn't want to dance to sneak off to a quieter area but still sit. The staff was super responsive all of my guests were amazed by how the glasses were never empty and how good the food was. The venue is pretty all-inclusive for decorations because it is decorated so well. Mariita, was so helpful with giving me ideas for set up. She worked with me every time I need to changes plans. I loved working with them and my wedding reception went flawlessly due to all their hard work. Thank you!

Sent on 09/25/2012

Sarah · Married on 07/29/2012

I've been putting off writing this review for some time now because I wasn't sure how to appropriately capture just how wonderful an experience my husband and I had at Mount Vernon Inn on our wedding day.

It is a beautiful, historic venue on the outskirts of the Mount Vernon Estate in Virginia, about 20-25 minutes to DC. All of our out of town guests enjoyed exploring George Washington's estate, especially our visitors from overseas.

The restaurant is wonderful. I ate here several times beforehand "to check it out" (it was all research, I swear) and everything was delicious and all of the servers were always attentive and gracious. And the food was divine every time! It is such a neat restaurant we couldn't believe we could actually get married and have our reception here.

But what surprised us most was how reasonable it was. After looking into several DC area venues (and even some farms that were a 2-3 hour drive from DC), it was clear to me that the wedding industry is truly a business. All the prices for wedding events were INSANE. Not so at the Mount Vernon Inn. Their prices were truly fair for everything we got.

As some previous reviewers mentioned, all of our guests we talked to couldn't believe how tasty the food was. We had around 125 guests, and everyone could pick from three or four entrees after they were seated. MVI also provided bottles of cold (Mount Vernon!) water bottles to our guests in the outside garden area where we were married!

A special thanks to Mariita Campos. She worked with me in the months and weeks ahead of the ceremony over email to make sure everything was perfect. She was responsive and, as others have said, worked within our budget to make things perfect. She also was attentive to all sorts of details and questions ahead of time, and helped our "big day" go off without a hitch. She is truly a gem and goes above and beyond to make things as easy as they can be on a day always filled with nerves and high emotions!

Sent on 10/22/2012

Joni · Married on 04/28/2012

This place is excellent! The catering manager, Mariita, is wonderful to work with. She responds to emails quickly and is very helpful. The price is very reasonable for the quality of food and the service that we got. The food was delicious. I highly recommend this place!

Sent on 04/29/2012

Gary · Married on 01/27/2012

Mount Vernon Inn is located on the historic estate of George Washington. With a colonial feel, beautiful grounds, and lots to do. The staff was dressed traditionally, the service was top notch and still fun, and everyone had a great time.

Sent on 01/30/2012
  • Sommer

Sommer · Married on 09/10/2011

We used the Mount Vernon Inn for our ceremony and reception. The sunken garden was beautiful for the ceremony. We loved the historic area and the wedding party and several guests toured the estate the day before the wedding. We were kind of worried about space since it is a restaurant and everyone is split up into different rooms, but we had 130 people and a 6 piece band and there was plenty of room for everyone to gather in the main room for the cake cutting etc. and space to dance. We loved Mount Vernon!

Sent on 10/02/2011

Catherine · Married on 09/04/2011

We LOVED LOVED LOVED having our wedding at the Mount Vernon Inn. We picked it because we loved it, it screamed Virginia with its colonial theme, so we thought it would be special for in town and out-of-town guests. We even contracted with Mount Vernon events to bring in George Washington as a surprise guests, which was a bigger hit than we thought. What we didn't know was that:

- the value for the venue, the food, the drinks, and everything would be pretty close to unbeatable in the Northern Virginia area.
    - the mgr. Matt and asst. mgr. Marita were so accomodating and easy to work with, i mean, really easy. They do events practically every weekend there- so they are seasoned pros.(and probably used to dealing with stressed out brides)
    - the servers were phenomenal, and guests could choose from one of three options on sight! no messing around with who wants beef and how you indicate that on the invitation, etc. etc.
    - the actual restaurant got so many rave reviews from our guests from all over who were so impressed with the ambiance.
    - the ceremony being right there in the same location under the tent (I do recommend paying the extra $ for the tent liner) was beautiful and so convenient.

Our pictures are here if you want to check it out. We loved our photographer too, btw: http://emilychastain.blogspot.com/2011/09/zack-katie-mount-vernon-inn-wedidng.html .

Sent on 09/20/2011

Lisa · Married on 08/20/2011

The garden area is a lovely place for a ceremony, and the veranda and Washing room are perfect for the various parts of a reception. I was impressed with how many options we had to choose from for our menu. We choose several unique plated and passed appetizers. For the entree, we picked the goat cheese salad, a tasing of the Colonial peanut soup, a choose between chicken breasts stuffed with apricots and figs/wild boar chops with a whiskey glaze/rock fish with a ginger sauce, sides of grilled vegetables and sweet potato spoonbread, and desserts of traditional breadpudding, apricot bread pudding, and chocolate bread pudding. My husband and I and the guests are still raving about the food. All of the staff were also very friendly and helpful. The guests also liked the location because of all the historical landmarks surrounding the inn.

Sent on 09/20/2011