Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa Reviews

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 6
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 7

Lauren · Married on 10/06/2018

The Wedding Venue of my Dream

My husband and I chose the Moana Surfrider because we loved the colonial style building, and the photos looked amazing.
    Planning a destination wedding was hard, as all decisions had to be made based on photos and reviews.
    I was worried that the photos were misleading and that the hotel would not be as beautiful in person. Boy, was I wrong. I fell even more in love with the hotel once I saw it in person. The space where we got married was so stunning (Diamond Lawn), and the Terrace was perfect for a one-hour cocktail party after. I thought this are would be visible from the hotel bar area and the beach, but it's actually around the corner making it quite private and intimate. Even beach goers couldn't see us, which was unexpected. We did have hotel guests looking down on the wedding from their rooms, but this actually made it seem like more of a celebration.
    It also made for stunning photographs.
    We moved to the Ballroom for the reception, which has big beautiful windows along the back. It was spacious and perfect for our 65 guests, but you can fit a lot more.
    We have gotten SO MANY compliments on the food. We also did our wedding cake through the hotel and it came out beautifully.
    As a part of our package, we received two nights in the honeymoon suite. This was such a treat as we were on the 18th floor of the hotel and had a spectacular view of Waikiki and the water. It was big enough for all of us girls to get ready in, and such a gorgeous room to wake up in as husband and wife.
    I cannot say thank you enough to Jillian, who managed our booking from when I initially emailed all the way to the wedding day. Having worked in events before, I was used to dealing with a sales manager first, then switching to an events manager. Having Jillian the entire time was a pleasant surprise and made the whole planning process so much easier. When we met for the first time in Hawaii it felt like I had known her forever! She was so helpful and accommodating. She even sent a gift to our room the night before the wedding - strawberries and sparkling wine. So lovely and thoughtful!

I 10000% recommend this venue to any Oahu brides. It is so stunning and the staff is amazing. I am so thankful to have the memories of our wedding there, and cannot wait to visit for our anniversary one year.

Sent on 10/31/2018
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 8
  • Vernee

Vernee · Married on 05/04/2018

My husband and I chose the Surfrider on a whim. We thought this was going to be out of our budget but we just made it! We opted for a Friday lunch buffet and everyone RAVED about the food. The coordinator we were in contact was Kelly and she was phenomenal and incredibly helpful with all my questions. We corresponded over email and met once to see the place. Even though I lived on Oahu at the time, she made it easy for me to only have to visit the place once.

We had the ballroom and it was gorgeous. It was intimate enough for our guests and fit all our vendors. And added plus to having the Moana Surfrider: passerbys and hotel guests will LOVE you and take pictures of and with you!

Sent on 05/14/2018
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 9

Robert · Married on 02/17/2018

Our event sales manager, Kelli Kajiwara, was the consummate professional. In planning the wedding from the mainland, there were a lot of phone calls and emails. Kelli's responses were prompt, well-thought-out, and extremely polite, warm and friendly. Naturally, in planning a big event such as a wedding, there’s a lot of back and forth in terms of balancing what we envisioned for our wedding versus what the hotel has established in terms of policies and procedures, but Kelli did a fantastic job navigating us through all of the considerations, and the concessions made on either side, felt like a win-win.

Following our wedding, and the days after that, we’ve had so guests tell us it’s one of the best weddings they’ve been to. Sure, some of our guests might just be flattering us. However, many of the comments came from individuals that we’ve known to be very blunt and tended not to sugarcoat their views. Some common themes that came up in discussions, post-wedding, were how everything felt, “beautiful,” “classy,” “magical,” and how “the attention to detail was phenomenal.” Guests told us how much they enjoyed the food. A few commented how, in their opinions, the food was, “the best wedding food they’ve ever had.” Others loved the flow and pacing of the ceremony and reception. Everything seemed to flow naturally from one thing to the next.

We did not receive any comments regarding the staff from our guests, which I suppose is a good thing, but from what we observed, the staff appeared to be so warm and hospitable. My wife and I sincerely appreciated how attentive the hotel employees were to us and we loved being showered with so many congratulatory comments by the staff… it made our day feel extra special. All-in-all, Kelli and the entire Moana Surfrider staff were just fantastic. Even beyond our wedding day, the service at the hotel is impeccable. We’ve had so many great interactions. The customer service at the Moana Surfrider is top-notch!

Sent on 03/22/2018
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 17
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 18
    Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa 19

Ashley · Married on 04/25/2015

Over the top!!! Excellent service!!! Food was amazing!!! Would go here again !!

Sent on 05/15/2015
  • X

Xenia · Married on 09/08/2013

After our ceremony, we had cocktail hour on the Diamond Lawn before sunset, and followed that with the formal reception in the Ballroom. The venues were absolutely amazing! Diamond Lawn is a beautiful outdoor area with sea views and a lovely spot to watch the sunset. The Ballroom (half) catered for approx. 50 guests.
    Most of my correspondence in the lead up was with Toni Takata who was really lovely to deal with, and was very accommodating.
    All the staff during the day and night (catering and service) were really personable, all our guests and my husband and I sang their praises.
    We had canapés during our cocktail hour, and a full 4-course menu at the reception which was all delicious, and very good value for money compared to Australian prices.

Sent on 08/24/2014

Judith · Married on 07/15/2013

I chose the Moana Surfrider (Diamond Lawn and Terrace) for my wedding venue and it was beyond beautiful!

I mainly worked with Toni Takata on the details of my event and she made everything go smoothly especially knowing that I was planning the wedding from California. She definitely knows her stuff and made some great suggestions regarding the decorations, food menu and open bar. She also followed up with me immediately after our event to make sure everything went well.

The service staff during the ceremony/reception were TOP NOTCH! I received so many compliments from my guests. Mostly around how friendly the staff was and how the staff knew what they wanted before they had a chance to ask for it! Miraculously, their water glasses were filled, baskets of bread appeared and my other details! For me personally, it FELT as though I had a personal staff member tending to my every need (i.e. water, a wet cloth to cool down waiting for me as I stepped off the dance floor, etc). Amazing attention to detail! They also brought 2 complete meals to our Suite immediately following the reception (even though I had already eaten during the reception). :-)

I decided to order our wedding cake from the Moana as well and it was not only beautiful it was delicious!

Our honeymoon tower ocean suite was impeccable! It was as though we were literally ON TOP of the ocean when we were at our balcony. It was spacious with all the amenities one could think of.

I highly recommend Moana Surfider if you are looking for a historic and beautiful venue for your wedding!

Sent on 08/05/2013

Kara · Married on 06/08/2013

We had our reception in the Lani Kai room at the Moana this past month. The staff at the Moana was extremely helpful in making sure we had a fantastic experience. Toni and her team answered all of our questions and guided us through the process of planning our dinner party. The night itself turned out wonderfully and we were very pleased with the staff's service at the bar and throughout the buffet dinner.

Sent on 06/15/2013

Thomas · Married on 12/11/2012

Moana Surfrider is a very special hotel for me and my wife. The Diamond Head terrace was so picturesque, the food and service were amazing! Toni Takata (on-site event coordinator) was very professional and ensured that our wedding went as planned.

Sent on 08/19/2014

We had both our ceremony and reception at the Moana Surfrider. The ceremony took place on the Diamond Lawn, while the reception took place in the Lani Kai room. The staff, especially Toni, were extremely helpful and efficient in helping to plan our wedding. The food was fantastic at both the cocktail reception and dinner, people are still raving about it! I definitely recommend the Moana Surfrider to others looking at venues in the heart of Waikiki.

Sent on 11/25/2012

Joe & Christine · Married on 09/30/2012

Chose the Moana Surfrider for our reception. We had beautiful shots both around the hotel and in the Lanikai Room. The catering office (Toni) and service staff were excellent and I will definitely recommend them to anyone I know who wishes to get married in Oahu.

Sent on 10/09/2012

What can I say. I never thought I'd be getting married here for our destination wedding. The venue was perfect, the food at our reception was epically delicious and our guests had an absolute blast. Great service, ample options and the hotel's look just takes your breath away.Thank you to Toni and Bob and the team at Westin for making our day perfect!

Sent on 08/05/2012

Stephanie · Married on 04/19/2012

We had our ceremony n the roofgarden and balconies at the Moana Surfider. The view and rooms were lovely and impressive and intimate for our affair. The food and service was excellent on the day as was Toni Takata in the planning phase. Highly recommend this venue.

Sent on 07/09/2012
  • Jaymie

Jaymie · Married on 09/09/2011

We had our ceremony and reception at this hotel. The ceremony location was on The Terrace and our reception was in the Lani Kai room. Both were everything that I pictured. The service that we received was top notch. And every single guest raved about how amazing the food was. The location of this hotel is also great. I was satisfied with everything with this location and service. Also, the complimentary ocean suite was just a cherry on top!

Sent on 10/06/2011

Sharla · Married on 05/02/2009

Toni and Sou were completely professional and reliable. The wait staff for our reception provided excellent service--our guests raved about how good the wait staff were and they also accomodated us with helping us to take down decorations and unclaimed centerpieces. They were worth every penny. Also, the food served was excellent and they offered us a variety of choices. The only drawbacks were (1) that the PA system at the outdoor terrace could have been louder. (2) it was pricey and at times it bordered on nickel and diming, e.g. a 2.50 dollar service charge for cake service, though they don't have a bakery and a $200 for food tasting if you don't spend a lot of money on food. Also, it wasn't clear why there wasn't a package offered for both reception and ceremony together. In other words, we didn't get a price break on the site fee (which seemed pretty high at $2000) for the ceremony although we were having both our reception and ceremony there. Setting those fees aside, I think the charges for the buffet and the related service charges and room rental fee for the reception area were completely justified in light of the superb food and excellent service provided.

Sent on 05/05/2009

Hsinyu · Married on 10/04/2015

We choose Beach house inside the Moana Surfrider as our reception place for our destination wedding. We paid 500 bulks for rearranging the seat inside the restaurant. On that day, they put the other customers outside to give us enough privacy. The restaurant itself is very pretty and elegant as a reception place. Also, it have a very good view for dimond head and beach.

It's a little pity they don't have video/audio system inside the restaurant. However, they allow you to bring your own speakers. (Also, most of restaurant there don't have sound system)

The place is so wonderful. The lunch menu is so delicious. We have few guests allergy to seafood, beef, etc. They really take care of their meal as well. The 2 tires of wedding cake is so pretty and delicious. We really enjoy our reception. I highly recommend this place.

Sent on 10/19/2015
  • jme96825

Jeannette · Married on 08/25/2007

We had our reception at the Moana it was beautiful and our lunch was in the Beachside Cafe - the food was exquisite and we only paid $25 per person - highly recommended! (Please note that we only had our reception here)

Sent on 04/30/2008

Teresa · Married on 03/08/2008

The catering manager and staff at the Moana Surfrider were excellent. They were easy to work with and made the wedding day very relaxed. The cost of the venue and reception were more than we intended to pay for a 100 person wedding, but in the end it was worth it for us.

Sent on 11/22/2008

Rachel · Married on 09/12/2011

We had our ceremony and reception at the Moana Surfrider and what a gorgeous (and convenient) spot it is. The ceremony was on the Terrace and reception was in the Lani Kai room and both were gorgeous. We were given an absolutely beautiful complimentary ocean suite for 2 nights. It was the perfect spot for my bridesmaids to get ready and also fantastic for our wedding night. We were provided with a beautiful champagne breakfast the morning after the wedding and it all made everything so special. The reception room was decorated incredibly well and the wait staff were incredibly attentive and eager to please. Everyone commented on the quality of the food which really pleased us. My only gripes (and these are teeny tiny ones as we had a fabulous day) is that the earliest we could hold the ceremony is 5pm as the chapel on premises has a monopoly on earlier wedding slots and the view must be unobstructed so no weddings can take place on the lawn area until after. We did nearly move our wedding at one point as would have liked to get married earlier in the day but decided to stay put because of the convenience of having the wedding and ceremony in the one spot. This did end up working well as everything flowed nicely. Another thing was that Toni could be quite hard to get hold of sometimes and occasionally after a week I had to reemail and request a response. (Understandable to an extent as they are very busy but every bride wants to feel that her wedding is not just a number and that she is just as important). Some of the questions I asked were referred back to me and they told me to ask my coordinator which made me wonder who would have answered if I had decided not to have a coordinator. Tiny things though and in person when I met Toni, she was very pleasant and personable and happy to help. Overall an absolutley beautiful venue in a top notch location. Had an amazing experience and would not hesitate to recommend to anyone else thinking about having their wedding at the Moana.

Sent on 10/18/2011

Michelle · Married on 03/08/2016

We hosted both our rehearsal dinner and our ceremony at the Moana Surfrider. What a beautiful venue! The service and food at the rehearsal dinner were phenomenal! Our guests were raving about the meal for days! Our ceremony was on the Diamond Terrace - and what a beautiful place in the world to get married! The staff took such great care of us and our guests - definitely recommend this place if you are getting married in Waikiki!

Sent on 05/02/2016

4.2

We are still beaming from our fantastic wedding week and wedding day at the Moana Surfrider. We can't thank Gabriella Jackson and the team enough for all that they did for us. Gabby really went our of her way to make our wedding week and day perfect. The welcome basket at the beautiful Ocean Suite, the Shave Ice and the Tiki Torches are appreciated touches that added so much to make our vision come to life. We were lucky to have great weather and a beautiful sunset during our ceremony. Guests got to access the beach during cocktail hour to take great magic hour pictures. We had Honolulu Festival fireworks right above the picturesque Diamond Lawn and Terrace.

The food was delicious, the setup was wonderful and staff was friendly and helpful! If you want a stress-free destination wedding at a fantastic, classically beautiful Hawaiian venue, I highly recommend the Moana!

Sent on 03/22/2015

Amber · Married on 06/10/2008

3.5

This is a beautiful hotel, but it is a busy hotel. We had our reception on the lawn fronting the beach. Beach-goers looked on during the ceremony - its not very private. We were warned about this by our photographers. The reception was in a ballroom upstairs. The food and service was excellent during the reception. All in all, not a bad place to get married if you're okay with the busy aspect of the place.

Sent on 10/16/2009

Melanie · Married on 02/04/2006

4.2

I absolutely loved holding my reception in Grand Salon of the Moana Surfrider. From my understanding, the Grand Salon is no longer a banquet hall, which is really a loss. In any case, the hotel was an extremely beautiful backdrop for our reception. The Banquet Captain, Bob, was attentive and I heard that he was great at servicing the head table. When I actually sat at the head table, he and his partner (I don't recall her name) were extremely helpful.

The food was more than splendid! We had the Polynesian buffet and it was very delicious! A lot of people enjoyed the food. Unfortunately, my husband and I didn't eat much at the reception so Bob offered to bring us dishes later in the evening (and he did!).

Correspondence was done via email and I found that sometimes I would have to make follow up calls and leave a couple messages before receiving a response from the Catering Manager or her assistant.

We were given the honeymoon suite for the night and it was a very large, clean room with a breathtaking ocean view.

Sent on 08/01/2008
  • O

Suzanne · Married on 10/31/2005

2.5

Stayed here for the wedding night. When we mentioned that to the hotel, they upgraded our reservation to a 2 room suite in the historical part of the hotel, overlooking the ocean. They gave us a complementary bottle of champaign and chocolates and placed a mysterious towel on the floor at the foot of the bed.

Sent on 09/04/2008
  • Timothy

Timothy · Married on 05/24/2009

3.0
      3.5

My wife had dreamed about having a wedding reception at the Moana Surfrider since she was a child.

I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the reception went. Everything was in its place and the table service, especially for our main wedding party table, was spectacular.

Toni Takata was friendly throughout the planning process and was very helpful in setting up our special day.

Sent on 05/28/2009