Mina Design & Tailoring Reviews

71 | Los Angeles, CA

71 Reviews for Mina Design & Tailoring

Laura · Married on 03/11/2016

Where do I begin? First let me just say Mina is the absolute BEST!!!!!!!!

I bought my wedding dress in Spain back in August last year and my wedding was in early March this year so I had several months between the time I bought it and the time to I had to wear it. Everyone told me that with the wedding stress I would lose weight but I did not realized just how much until I tried my dress a month before my wedding and it was considerably big on me. I immediately started looking for a tailor and I was terrified. This dress was safely sitting in my closet for months and now I had to put it in some stranger's hands in order to be fixed. Only a MONTH before the big day.

After looking and reading a lot I came across Mina and even though my wedding date was very close, after just a couple of emails I had my appointment. Although nervous at first by the time I left her studio all my fears were gone. I knew I was in the right hands. I felt like she saved me!

Mina was so sweet and calming. In every consult she was so helpful with her input and professionalism. She hears you out and gives you genuine and honest advice about the dress and the work that needs to be done. All with the best attitude and she really cares about the dress and about the bride's opinion.

She treated me with so much kindness and I could not be happier with how my dress turned out once it was tailored. The dress fitted me beautifully and accentuated all the right areas always keeping it's original form and shape.

Mina is a perfectionist and her job is exactly that. Just PERFECT!

It was an impeccable and beautiful made job!!

THANK YOU a million times for making me feel comfortable and beautiful in my wedding dress!

Mina is AMAZING!!!!!!

Sireenah · Married on 09/12/2015

Mina is fantastic! Some may view her way of operating as kind of strict but it really does work well in the end. Her scheduling manager is incredibly responsive and understanding of scheduling needs. If you're reasonable, they're reasonable. The fittings themselves were always efficient and Mina really takes the time to listen to you and ensure you feel good about things. She is an expert at what she does and it was very reassuring throughout the process. She made my dress fit perfectly and I could not have been happier with her work. Would highly recommend her!

Melissa · Married on 09/05/2015

Mina did an incredible job with my wedding dress! I bought my gown at Stone Fox Bride in NY and found Mina on Yelp - all her reviews were amazing and I soon found out why! She fit my dress PERFECTLY to my body and also sold me the most GORGEOUS sash to go with it. I got a million complements on the dress and have Mina to thank! Appointments were easy to make and she was always on time. There's no one I'd trust more to handle the most important alteration of my life - 5 stars!!!

Cathy · Married on 08/30/2014

Mina was wonderful. I found a wedding dress that was perfect, but needed a bit of work. It was too big, too long of a train, needed some work on some of the light beading etc. and Mina was incredibly professional and a lot of fun to have working on my dress. It could not have fit better and it made my day that much more special. I'd recommend her to anyone.

Julie · Married on 05/24/2014

I got my wedding dress altered by Mina. There are a few requirements that need to be met before you can go forward with her doing your alterations. It may seem like a lot but it is worth it. And she does it to give you the best results. As long as you meet her requirements everything else just flows. She is very professional and takes pride in everything she does. She is very flexible with her schedule and will even see you on her lunch break. I am beyond pleased with her work results. My dress fit amazing. Mina also did my wedding veil. I absolutely loved it. She custom made it to fit myself and dress perfectly. I thank you Mina for being part of my special day! I definitely recommend Mina for dress alterations/tailoring and your wedding day veil! Best wishes!

Lauren · Married on 05/01/2014

I am so glad I chose Mina to alter my wedding dress! I purchased a Sarah Seven lace dress from Lovely Bridal and all of the alterations suggestions they gave said they didn't have time to take me on as a client. I looked online and found Mina and she scheduled an appointment with me right away.

My dress was very complicated as it was all lace and had to be shortened from the waist in order to keep the scallop edging at the bottom. I also wanted to add only the jeweled portion of two belts I bought with my dress. She did everything in a timely manner and even replaced the zipper and added a couple jewels (which she sourced!) to fill in where the belt came together.

My dress was incredible and fit like a glove! I am so happy with the result and the quality of Mina's work!

Maylynn · Married on 04/12/2014

Maylynn · Married on 04/12/2014

As a plus-sized woman, I had my reservations about how my wedding gown would fit. I had a black-tie wedding, so I knew I had to have an amazing gown. I am so grateful that I found Mina. I brought my wedding gown to her for hemming and a bustle. When Mina reviewed my gown, she pointed out other details that I am sure a "normal" tailor would have missed. She made it so that I would be 100% comfortable in my gown all day, and even allowed me to go sans support since she was tailoring it to my exact body. It was truly amazing. Mina allowed me to really feel beautiful in my gown, rather than self conscious. My (couture) photographer was also so in awe of the great fit of my gown, that we did additional photos of just me, the gown, and the veil. I cannot stress enough how important it is to have a great fitting gown, and proper veil. I was going to have a waist length veil originally, but with Mina's knowledgeable guidance of couture and sincere advice, I had the most stunning veil to go along with my gown. I am so happy I listened to her - it paid off tremendously. I truly do not understand the negative feedback - mainly because most of these people never actually went to Mina so they cannot really speak to the wonderful experience. She is truly kind and really cares that her brides look and FEEL amazing. Everything is VERY clear on her website as to how she works, and as a business owner myself, I completely understand her guidelines. She is truly gifted, and I am so happy our paths crossed.

Esther · Married on 04/05/2014

I love Mina! She's the best in bridal dress tailoring! She was recommended by one of my friends, who also had her bridal dress altered by Mina. I first contacted Mina via email and quickly made an appointment to see her. She was very professional and made several suggestions to create a better silhouette for my dress (My dress was a bit too big and slouchy). Throughout the dress alteration process, there were total of three visits - initial consultation, dress fitting #1, dress fitting #2/pickup. Every single visit, Mina made me feel really comfortable and confident that she will deliver a very well-tailored dress for my big day. My wedding dress turned out beautiful and fit like a glove at the end. All thanks to Mina. Although the pricing is a bit high, the quality of her skills made it totally worth it. I highly recommend her to any future brides.

I am so grateful that I found Mina. She is brutally honest, ethical and extremely talented. Trust me, you don't want to leave your wedding dress on the hands of someone who is willing to tell you that something looks great for the sake of making money. Mina is also super flexible! She turned around both of my dresses in about 5 weeks.

Kimberly · Married on 08/18/2013

I loved Mina. My dress was a size 12 (I had bought it a the Priscilla of Boston going out of business sale), I am a size 2. From the second I saw Mina for the first time, she pinned that dress on me like it was made for me. Mina did not alter my dress, she literally did an entire redesign. She is an expert seamstress that knows exactly what she is doing. She was nothing but sweet to me. I would recommend her to anyone. I had doubts that nobody would be able to make my dress fit to my body. Mina did that and more.

Mina is the very best and I recommend her to all my friends!

I had purchased an extremely delicate, Temperley London full lace dress for my May wedding, but knew that I needed some extensive alterations and adjustments to make it perfect. I reached out to Mina for a consultation and she immediately started working her magic. With each appointment, my dress was transformed into a stunning custom fit! On my wedding day, I couldn't have asked for anything more perfect.

She is so welcoming and put me completely at ease throughout the process, always going above and beyond my expectations.

Mina is the best decision you can make! Thank you Mina for everything!

Natasha · Married on 11/03/2012

Mina was extremely helpful to me! She took the weight of the world off my shoulders! I bought my strapless dress from Priscilla of Boston and they recommended her. Beside the fact fact that the dress needed major alterations, I needed a bolero and veil. Amazingly enough, they covered them all. She had a large selections of fabrics and accessories and we were able to find a perfect match beaded lace for my bolero, and perfect veil to go with both my dress and the bolero.

The appointment process seemed strange in the beginning, but once I got there, the peace and calm of the studio, as well as the fact that everything went so smoothly all the way to the end, made me wonder why others don't do the same thing! The alterations and custom-designed bolero came out so unbelievably that my mom could not recognized the dress and thought I went behind her back and bought another dress with the bolero!! Mina gave me a waist and I looked two sizes smaller!!

For the selections and talents that she has, I must add that they are understated.

Sheri · Married on 10/20/2012

You definitely CANNOT go wrong with Mina! She is a tailoring wizard! She made sure to custom fit my wedding dress to emphasize my curves in the BEST possible way. I felt and looked amazing in my wedding dress and I have Mina to thank for it!

Please, please do not be deterred by their appointment booking process. I promise you, you won't regret going to Mina!

Sally · Married on 09/29/2012

They are not cheap, but quality of the work and their products are worth every penny!! One thing that isn't mentioned by any bride, it seems (and they themselves keep very low key too) is that they offer 20% off a short period each year on their web site only, which become a good saving for any bride. After visiting a tailor shop, I personally was determined to use MDAT for my alterations and was willing to pay what ever it would take, but I just got lucky when I went to the website while they were offering that 20% off.

On my wedding dress alterations, belt, and veil I saved a total of $480, which brought the cost of alterations about the same as what the low-skilled tailor shop quoted me, except that they did not even want to touch the bust that looked funny on me!! If you have enough time to your wedding you may want to check their site very often and see how it works for you, but DO NOT miss the opportunity of having a perfect fit in hope of saving a couple of hundreds!!

Good luck everyone!

Charlotte · Married on 09/21/2012

I knew they weren't a tailor shop, and expected a high end bridal studio, but I didn't know they sold bridal veils and belts too! I made my appointment for gown alterations only, but I was just a kid in the candy store when I got there. So many veils, so many belts, headbands, tiaras, bridal jewelry... I was stunned! I even forgot all about my dress!! they have the largest collections and I didn't see any of them elsewhere (I think they design and make them all themselves). I wasn't able to find what I wanted in stores and on line, so I had them custom-make my veil and belt. I also bought a set of crystal chandelier earnings from them. They kind of work exclusively, yet very low key. I like it that they don't allow two brides at the time, so I really enjoyed the attention and privacy!

The dress turned out beautifully and much better I hopped for. I had total of three fittings, and I picked up my dress three weeks before my wedding. The whole process from the making appointments to pick up the dress and accessories was smooth because they are extremely organized and know what they are doing.

AMBER · Married on 09/08/2012

I took my beautiful, but very much too large, and complicated beaded and net gown to Mina after reading about her talents. I couldn't have made a better choice. She turned the dress into a couture gown, literally hand sewing portions of it. It fits me to perfection. I had been very nervous about handing the gown over to anyone, but you should never be worried about working with Mina. She and her assistant were perfect professionals. They were punctual, completely transparent about the billing, and a pleasure to work with. Her work is worth every penny, and I look forward to having an opportunity to have her design and make a dress for me someday.

Jennifer · Married on 07/07/2012

Mina is a tailoring genius!
    When I first took my dress to her, the dress was about 3 sizes too big. Because it was all lace and tulle, I was a little concerned about how much it could be taken in, and what it would look like after. After ONE fitting, mina had it almost perfect, looking like it was always made to be that size! She absolutely knows her stuff when it comes to how dresses are constructed, and more importantly, she knows how they SHOULD be constructed so that they fit and flatter your body. This was my first experience ever working with a tailor/seamstress, and I was more than a little intimidated about what sorts of things I should be looking for and asking. Mina was EXTREMELY helpful in suggesting things that could make the dress (and me) look best, and pointing out areas that worked with no altering. She also added a beautiful and simple bustle that worked with the lines of the dress perfectly.

I chose Mina because she did an exceptional job tailoring my sister's wedding dress 2 years ago. She has now made life-long clients out of my sister, my mother, and now me! There is nobody better.

With all of the stress and unknowns that come with planning a wedding, let me just say that Mina is WORTH EVERY PENNY. You can trust that your investment in your dress is in exceptionally talented hands. And really, what's more important on your wedding day than how your dress fits?

Sam · Married on 07/07/2012

I originally took my dress to a tailor shop recommended by the bridal shop... but when my grandma heard I did so because I didn't want to fill out the form on the "Mina Design and Tailoring" site (and because I thought they looked expensive!), she gave me a few wise words and made me pick up my dress right away and take it to Mina. Thank goodness for that! At first, I really did not get all the points my grandma made, but the minute we entered to Mina's large, bright, spotless studio, I started getting her points one by one!

Mina is truly highly-skilled and capable of doing any complicated and sophisticated job! She made suggestions on doing work (without me asking for them) that the tailor shop told me was impossible to do even when I asked . She was very natural and did the fitting very quickly and effortlessly. The quote she gave me was about a couple of hundred above what the tailor shop gave me, but the quality of work and service I received were 100 times better. They do not cut corners or bring excuses to earn easy money, but they work hard to earn it.

On the first fitting, I cried when I saw myself in the dress. My pear shape body looked so balanced and I looked slim and sexy! When I asked her how she did it, she just sweetly said: 'It's your own body, I just showcased it" In person, she is actually very sweet and down to earth. I think the website does not even show half of benefits in using them, but when I mention that to her, she said "that's ok, rational and reasonable brides will get it"! They are extremely organized and that alone helps you to have a stress-free and wonderful experience. The form I filled up for my first consultation was really the hardest part of the process and as they say on the website, time was well spent!!

heidi · Married on 04/21/2012

I'm so lucky I found Mina!!!

I purchased my Kenneth Pool Platinum dress off the rack from the Priscilla of Boston store in Beverly Hills nine months prior to my wedding. Their suggested seamstress told me I had plenty of time before my wedding to alter the dress. I trusted him. I kept checking back in with him and he kept telling me I should wait. Finally, less than 2 months prior to my wedding, we scheduled an appointment, but he gave me a bogus address and wouldn't answer my calls!!!

At this point I was desperate and other seamstresses told me they couldn't rush the job due to the detailed beadwork and crystals on the dress. Luckily, I found Mina whom made the time to help me. She was extremely kind and helpful. And she really cared about my situation. Her attention to detail was impeccable! She replaced missing crystals and even managed to creatively hide a couple stains in the dress (at this point there wasn't time to clean the dress). The dress was 2 sizes too large but when Mina was finished, the dress fit me perfectly!

Because of my experience with Mina, my best friend is taking her wedding dress to Mina as well. If you want best-in-class service and results, I highly recommend Mina!!!!

Eileen · Married on 02/11/2012

Note: I never used them and that's a mistake I'll regret forever!

This Thanksgiving reminded me that, this time last year, I was looking for a seamstress to alter my dress. A coworker recommended them and told me to make my appointment through their website or by email. Ardy was extremely professorial and responded each time within the hour and I was really impressed, but it seemed unusual that they were asking about my budget, the work that my dress needed, and wanted me to send my pictures in my dress... so I was annoyed and stopped responding to them. No one helped me then to understand that if I wanted a perfect fit and a nice experience, I should just understand their policy which, now, after going through what I went through, I understand was in my benfit too! Instead, one of my bridesmaids took me to her tailor who ruined my dress right before going out of business!

I though I should post this review to advise all the brides out there to not make the mistake I made, and do what you have to do to look your best, because if the dress doesn't look right, nothing else can make it up for you!

Good luck everyone!

S · Married on 01/28/2012

Mina is a master! My dress was all lace and was complicated to alter. She made the dress fit every inch of my body perfectly. Everyone complimented me on it! Go to Mina!!

Christine · Married on 01/06/2012

I purchased a Reem Acra gown from Your Dream Dress, an online vendor of sample designer gowns. Besides needing your typical taking up of the hem + bustling, the gown had a unique feature that I knew would take a very talented seamstress to alter. The designer had her initials embroidered upon the bodice of the gown, intertwined with the intricate beaded embroidery that covered the rest of the bodice, back and front. I was very anxious about taking the gown to someone who could handle such a complex task, and after reading reviews of Mina's work online, I decided to give her a try.

Choosing Mina was one of the best decisions I made during the entire wedding-planning process. Mina was so very kind to myself and to my mom, who came to nearly every fitting, each time we visited her studio. I appreciated the fact that her website was very clear about Mina's expectations, and I took the straightforward nature of the site, and of the email communications I received from Mina and her assistant, as examples of her professionalism.

I was, as many brides today are, trying to keep to a strict budget. I had no idea what alterations to a wedding gown would cost, and during the initial exchange with Mina's assistant I learned that I would need to spend quite a bit more than I had originally budgeted. The estimate that was shared with me at that time was quite accurate, and I appreciated the fact that these early emails were very clear and firm about what would be expected. Again, the professionalism of Mina and her assistant were reflected even in these early email exchanges. In this case, I decided to cut back on another portion of our wedding in order to ensure that a true expert worked on my gown, since it would be something that everyone would admire and comment upon. The additional investment in my dress, I realized, would be well worth it on the day of the wedding, and it would matter even beyond our wedding day when I perhaps would share photographs of the day with friends, or with children, or even share the dress with a daughter sometime in the future. In other words, yes Mina's work was a financial stretch for me, but it was a sound investment.

I visited Mina at least 4 times and each time she patiently calmed my fears regarding the fit of the dress, reassured me that all would be well on the day of our wedding, and even encouraged me to just eat and sleep when we realized I might lose too much weight for the bodice to fit as beautifully as it did originally. That was *definitely* a first for me, and I truly appreciated that Mina just wanted to make sure that I could just be myself on my wedding day. Mina's suggestions regarding bust inserts and bustle type and length were invaluable, and her advice was always shared as a means of making me feel more comfortable, rather than as absolutes. Mina, I felt, wanted the best for me and wanted to honor the craftsmanship of the gown itself, which I think speaks for her own skill as an artist.

I can absolutely recommend Mina to anyone looking for gown alterations, especially a bride who is particularly concerned about a more detailed gown or a more complicated fix. Mina will absolutely be worth the investment, and her kind and calm demeanor will feel therapeutic to you when you feel most stressed.

kate · Married on 10/22/2011

Mina is amazing! I had purchased a sample Elizabeth Fillmore from Glamour Closet so the straps were very worn from being on the hanger in the store. The ones she suggested to replace them with were even better than the originals! Also the dress was WAY too long, but there was all this detailing in the lace on the bottom that I was worried about losing. Before I even said anything about that she explained how she could take the dress up from a place in the middle where the lace pattern changed so that the dress would look the same after doing the hem. I was worried that the dress was a little snug (I think it was because I was nervous!) Mina didn't think the extra work was necessary and she convinced me to leave it as is. She works to make the dress fit perfectly, not to talk you into expensive alterations. She was totally right-the dress was so comfortable and perfect fitting on my wedding day! The email based appointment booking was SO easy. I always received a prompt reply and they were very accommodating fitting me into her obviously busy schedule. Also, Mina was so sweet and comforting when I went in for my fittings. I will definitely send all my friends getting married to her.

Janelle · Married on 10/08/2011

She is completely different from what you may expect- So do not let the little girl inside you start nagging and become an obstacle for you to get the best fit you deserve!

They do not take phone calls, or make calls to brides. They do all correspondence by email, which made everything much easier for me, as I could not receive personal calls at work. They don't give you an estimate without seeing the dress on you, but they let you know if your budget is not realistic for your project. Also their "FAQs" are very helpful. They are not cheap, but considering what they did for me, it is worth every penny! I personally decided to cut anywhere except my dress.

They altered my wedding gown, custom made my mother's dress, and altered three of my bridesmaids dresses. I did not like the belt that came with my dress, so they customized the most amazing bridal belt with rhinestones that you could ever imagine. I cried just when I saw the belt. It looked like was made for the dress, yet unique and just made for me! We were all pleased and couldn't be any happier! When I tried the finished dress, could not believe it was me in the mirror!

The final cost for each of us stayed on the lower side of the original quote, while I really expected to pay about 20% more than the higher end, giving the experiences that I had with other vendors (they all cost me more than what they quoted for their services).