Mike Lund Food Reviews

29 Reviews for Mike Lund Food

• Katie

Katie · Married on 06/29/2019

Above and Beyond

I cannot highly enough recommend Mike Lund and his team. They went over the top to provide excellent service at our wedding and were incredibly thoughtful in providing grandparents with their food first, making sure my husband and I got food and drinks, and their overall hospitality. They went above and beyond helping to set up our venue, running out to get missing ingredients, and making sure everything went smoothly on our big day. I seriously cannot thank them enough for all that they did. If I could give them more than 5 stars, I would!

Sent on 07/03/2019
  • Lindsey

Lindsey · Married on 08/25/2018

We used Mike Lund for our wedding on 8/25/2018. Him, his chef James, and his staff were professional, courteous, and a pleasure to work with. His staff always made sure that my husband and I always had a drink and that we were fed enough food. The food was also amazing and a crowd pleaser! We went with a buffet style dinner and had chicken as our main dish. We never ran out of food which was great. We also decided on biodegradable/compostable utensils, plates, napkins, cups, etc. which he offered as an option. It was easy clean up and it worked well for our outdoor country venue. I highly recommend his catering services (and trying his restaurant for lunch!). You won't be disappointed! Thanks again!

Sent on 09/03/2018

Greg · Married on 11/05/2016

Mike Lund runs a top notch operation. Not only will he work with you to create the ideal menu for your wedding or event, but the food will be delicious. He will bring ideas you might not have thought about, and go out of his way to make your day incredible. He handles the chaos of an event with utmost professionalism.

At my wedding, he made a point of ensuring the bride and I got to taste all of his scrumptious creations and that we along with the wedding party got first dibs when food was served. He manages a great staff and makes very high quality food. I cannot say enough about how comfortable and calming knowing Mike was in charge of the catering. His brisket, Mac and cheese, mini oyster po boys and butternut squash soup were just the items that topped my list of favorites from my wedding, but all his food is without a doubt delicious.

I cannot say enough that Mike Lund provides premier catering service in every aspect of the business.

Sent on 02/16/2017

Christine · Married on 10/22/2016

I simply can't say enough good things about Mike Lund Food. Mike and his entire staff were an absolute joy to work with and their food is some of the best we have ever tasted! When we found Mike Lund Food, we were blown away by how much thought was put into their food and cooking, as well as how amazingly delicious all of it was. Mike put together a sample menu based on what I’d told him we wanted and it was absolutely perfect. Mike is all about sourcing local ingredients and even helped create options for vegetarians/vegans. If an experienced, talented, realistic caterer is a priority for your wedding, Mike is the man. After tasting his food, you’ll know why we recommend him to any and everyone!

Sent on 02/13/2017

Karen · Married on 10/21/2016

Do not think twice about hiring Mike Lund to be a part of your wedding team. From my first conversation with Mike, I knew that this was a conscientious man who had an appreciation for quality food and the preparation of it. My daughter-in-law to be had recommended Mike to me after he had catered a meal for her company, which just happens to deal with destination weddings. She and I went to Mike Lund's restaurant in Staunton, VA to sample some of his food and get his suggestions for the rehearsal dinner. We left believing that this was the caterer we wanted. Planning a destination wedding was a daunting task since you feel out of your element. You are in unfamiliar territory depending on recommendations and vendors you do not have any experience with. Let me just say that Mike Lund put all fears to rest. He made everything about the rehearsal dinner special. This young man takes control with professionalism, yet he is such a great guy to be with. Along with our wedding planner and fantastic caterer, this night was magic. The appetizers were his delectable oysters prepared in various ways. Our son loves these and Mike knows what he is doing with an oyster. For dinner, he served a fabulous roasted beet and goat cheese salad and then the main entree was a surf and turf combination served with organic vegetables that were growing during the fall season. His dessert was a delectable chocolate slice of heaven. My husband and I are former restaurant owners and we love to cook and explore restaurants. We can both say that this was one of the best meals that we have ever had. It was served beautifully and the servers were all delightful and skilled. Mike is a hard worker and goes above and beyond to make your event seamless. You will not need to worry about a thing if you hire Mike Lund. I am looking forward to going back to Staunton, VA to visit his restaurant very soon.

Sent on 02/27/2017

Kristin · Married on 10/08/2016

Mike Lund was amazing, just the most perfect wedding caterer we could have asked for. We knew we wanted to hire him as soon as we did a tasting at his restaurant because he makes really delicious and creative food using many locally-sourced ingredients. We loved working with him because he was so thoughtful, flexible, and always well prepared, a consummate professional. He asked all the right questions for event planning and when we made some idiosyncratic menu requests he fulfilled them cheerfully. He hires good catering staff, too--all the servers at our wedding were efficient, practiced, and helpful. Mike is a great person to work with, passionate about the work he does, and willing to go above and beyond. For one example, he saw one of my elderly and disabled guests struggling to walk up a slope at my wedding site and he went over and personally helped her. For another example, when my officiant praised one of the wines Mike served and asked for the name of it, Mike didn't just send her the name of the wine, he sent her a complimentary bottle. I recommend Mike whole-heartedly!

Sent on 02/22/2017

Laura · Married on 10/01/2016

Mike Lund was incredible to work with. From the very beginning he is so approachable and reads a couples style and tailors the menu to fit them. We already knew his food was fantastic but had not spent as much time working with him and could not have been more pleased. He even let us store our own desserts we made in his freezer when we didn't have one they would fit in. He is flexible, reliable, friendly, and listens to his client. Many vendors in the wedding industry assume a lot instead of listening but that is not the case with Mike. We highly suggest having lunch at his restaurant to get a feel for his style----unique high quality food in a warm inviting environment. He will not disappoint for a formal or casual event---he will impress everyone and our guests are still talking about how incredible our food was!!

Sent on 02/16/2017

Elizabeth · Married on 09/10/2016

When planning our wedding catering was one of the most important aspects. Mike Lund, James (his partner) and his team delivered above and beyond expectations from initial communication to planning the menu to the big day. Everything was seamless and perfect. The food was phenomenal. Everything was fresh and well prepared and timed perfectly. It was one of the hottest days during our wedding and James and the staff were troopers, they didn't even seem bothered by the heat. I can't say enough good things about Mike Lund and his team. Mike Lund and his staff were all knowledgeable, helpful and professional. I highly recommend using Mike Lund food for your catering needs.

Sent on 02/13/2017

Peter · Married on 10/03/2015

We can't imagine our reception without Mike Lund and his staff. Local and sustainable agriculture is important to us. Food is important to us. We live in Brooklyn and couldn't coordinate a tasting so it was a bit of a gamble, but boy did it pay off! He pulled together appetizers and a buffet from our disparate ideas -- tacos, Polish food, ethically sourced meat -- into the perfect meal. The dressed-up taco bar featuring Polyface farm chicken was such a hit that people are still asking if we can get them the slaw recipe. The slaw! And my Eastern European family loved the pierogi appetizers so much they asked if his name is really Lund and not Lundski. All in all, he exceeded expectations.

Working with him was easy. We explained our ideals and not much else. "I'm Polish, we like tacos, and it has to be local." Mike and his partner James crafted a wonderful menu from our vagueries without fuss. When a hurricane descended on our wedding weekend, raining us out of our dream vineyard ceremony and reception, Mike advised us and helped us rearrange the day to accommodate the poor weather. And he even treated us to lunch at LUNDch! He's a true professional and eager to help make your dream wedding a reality.

And we cannot overlook the staff. Head server Jane led a courteous and helpful crew. They were fun, all smiles, and helped us out with some spare appetizers they had stashed away just in case we missed them during all the guest-greeting and hugging. The bartenders were fantastic as well. Thank you for making drinks strong enough to get me through my father's toast.

Hire Mike Lund. We cannot say enough positive things about him, James, Jane, and everyone at Mike Lund Food. They love good ingredients, good food, and good service, and it shows.

P.S. Mike personally found our lost car keys. What other caterer can claim that? There we were, full and happy and newlywed, trying to find our keys, and he delivered. (They were behind a vase in the bathroom.)

Sent on 10/18/2015

Jay · Married on 08/15/2015

Mike Lund and his team were a pleasure to work with and I highly recommend them. I've highlighted the main aspects of our wedding that Mike made amazing!

- The Food - My wife and I had an all vegetarian wedding that blended Indian and Italian dishes. Mike came up with creative options for us and took our input to create amazing dishes: heirloom tomato, watermelon, and homemade mozzarella salad; quinoa & chickpea salad, summer veggie lasagna, Mediterranean orzo stuffed roasted peppers, and a curry spiced squash risotto. Mike also made amazing passed hors d'oeuvre that included fried squash blossoms, gazpacho shooters, aloo tikki, and a few more. From scratch, Mike experimented and perfected our desserts: mini tiramisu cupcakes and chocolate rugelach to name only a few. Our guests still tell us that the food at our wedding was the best they have ever had!

- The Service - Mike will stop at nothing to make sure you are happy. He went out of his way to make sure I enjoyed the Challah he found and patiently took the time to listen to my fiance and I debate our entrees. He took care of every detail and traveled with our wedding planner to make sure we had the necessary dishes. The bartenders were great all night and extremely professional.

- The Difference - Mike and his team will make your wedding perfect. He was more than just a caterer to us and I truly felt that he had our best interests in mind (including the cost). He really helped us above and beyond catering. He is extremely humble and will probably not tell you that he used to work at the Inn at Little Washington or that he has helped prepare dishes for foreign dignitaries at the White House.

Sent on 04/10/2016

John · Married on 06/27/2015

How very fortunate we contracted Mike Lund to cater our daughter's wedding in Charlottesville. His menus for both the formal early afternoon reception and the evening barbeque featured all Virginia produced foods and beverages. Our out of town guests all raved about his presentations and service. We hope our younger daughter will choose Mike as well.

Sent on 03/22/2016

Chris and Jade · Married on 06/20/2015

My husband and I were super excited to host our wedding at the beautiful Stokesville Lodge and Campground. The beauty of the place came with the territory, but finding a special caterer for this event was quite a challenge! I kept finding caterers who were overpriced and frankly, nothing special. I refused to feel like my wedding was the scene out of a school cafeteria lunch! While the theme of our wedding was "Stokesville Under the Stars' on a beautiful summer night and more on the casual side, we still wanted it to be elegant enough to be 'wedding worthy'. Mike Lund was the perfect caterer! He was able to help us visualize and transform the huge amount of space into a cozy yet open feeling for the 200 adults and kids we had. Although Stokesville had a lot of the basic amenities, Mike and his staff came out early and brought all their equipment and even decorated the tables which helped tie it all together. His staff was professional and super friendly and very much able to think on their feet and go with the flow when we had huge rainstorms come down! The food was simply delicious and we kept hearing people rave about it all night and even to this day when they talk about the wedding. They also did a great job perfectly cleaning and packaging all the food up...which was even better when the late night crowd dug in again! The kids food was perfect too...so much that we had to 'fight off' adults from eating their delicious mac and cheese. Mike Lund is not your ordinary caterer with chafing dishes. We felt like he fit seamlessly into the event and couldn't have asked for a better caterer.

Sent on 03/29/2016

Claire · Married on 05/23/2015

I simply cannot say enough about how wonderful our experience was working with Mike and his team during the preparation for and the day of our wedding. His creative input helped solidify my jumbled up ideas and his organized, efficient demeanor helped everything fall into place when I needed it most (I was a little frantic).
    And he cooks, too. The food was perfect. It was elegant without the pretension. It was so delicious and everything I dreamed it to be and more. I loved that he sourced produce from local farms and made so much on sight to maximize flavor and freshness. All of my family and friends raved about the food. One guest exclaimed " Not only is this the best food I've ever had at a wedding, it might be the best food I've ever had. Period!" Mike and his his staff were so friendly and professional and an integral aspect in achieving the most fun, relaxed and beautiful day and evening of my life. Thank you again, Mike!

Sent on 04/03/2016
  • WWJamie

jamie · Married on 10/18/2014

There are no words to truly convey what an amazing decision it was to hire Mike to cater our wedding. Seriously, it was one of the best choices we made throughout the planning process. My husband and I are really into food, so it was a top priority to us that our menu reflect our style and culinary interests. Not only did we want delicious cuisine with high quality ingredients, but we also wanted a focus on local products. Lucky for us, Mike is all about sourcing local ingredients and helped us create a menu based on the in-season produce and seafood we could get locally at the time of our October wedding.

From the first time we met Mike, we knew he had to be our caterer. His food is absolutely incredible, and he is such a cool person to boot! He and his staff couldn’t have been more professional, polite, and friendly on the big day.

He helped us plan our dream wedding menu, and our family/friends are still raving about the food almost a year later. More than one guest told us that the “world’s smallest filet mignon”, which was one of our cocktail hour bites, was the best piece of meat they had ever eaten. Coming from avid carnivores, I think that says a lot.

Mike spoiled us at the tasting, he spoiled us at the wedding, and he spoiled us when we visited his restaurant, Lundch, a few weeks ago! If mouthwatering cuisine and an experienced, talented caterer is a priority for your wedding, you have to talk to Mike. After tasting his food, you'll know why we recommend him to any and everyone!

Thank you, Mike, for giving us the best wedding cuisine imaginable! If we're in need of a caterer in the future, you're the one we're calling!

Sent on 08/12/2015

Betsy · Married on 10/11/2014

Mike and his staff did an awesome job with our wedding! It was so fun creating a menu that was special and unique to us. He listened to what we wanted and worked with our budget. the food was one of the most important things to us and Mike understood our vision. we got married in the fall and our dinner used seasonal fresh ingredients. I interviewed other caterers who were unorganized. Some had a book of dishes I could pick from- but Mike made the menu specifically for us, he was on top of everything and very professional . We couldn't recommend him and his team enough!!!

Sent on 03/23/2016

Mike Lund made our wedding so unbelievable (and very easy to plan!). We got so many compliments on the food, and two of our guests ended up choosing Mike Lund Food for their wedding a few months later.

In addition to providing amazing food the day of, Mike and his staff helped us to coordinate the entire day. Mike was wonderful to work with and I can't recommend him enough!

Sent on 03/30/2016

Emily · Married on 06/07/2014

Mike Lund did an absolutely AMAZING job catering our wedding. We had a few ideas about what we wanted, and Mike came up with some great options that we both loved! He even suggested that the morning of our wedding, he could go to the farmers market to purchase whatever vegetables looked good and grill them for our vegetarian guests. It doesn't get much fresher than that!

We can't say enough wonderful things about Mike Lund. His food and service were hands down the highlight of our wedding reception. And we even came in under budget : )

• I

Ian · Married on 05/03/2014

Mike is a class act, and in a different league than pretty much all of the caterers we had contacted. He put together an amazing menu that to this day our guests still remark on. It was delicious and very unique. He sourced much from Virginia, including VA Serrano ham and ramps from WV. (The seasonal ramps really got the foodies excited!) We had the idea to do a hybrid buffet/dinner with courses/acts, which he embraced. There was a wonton soup station, the best mac n' cheese I've ever eaten, local rockfish on perfect little mini-plates, and vegetables incorporated in the most creative ways. Advice for future couples is to really dream big and be creative with Mike. He is an artist with a very practical side, which is rare. I think he thrives on a challenge, and he delivered an epicly wonderful wedding catering experience for us that was truly flawless. Highest recommendation.

Sent on 03/30/2016

Meredith · Married on 10/26/2013

Mike did a fantastic job of catering our wedding and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a caterer. He was very professional and easy to work with. He listened to our requests and came up with a unique and personalized menu that included lots of fresh and local ingredients. Mike was also very knowledgeable about our wedding venue, Barren Ridge Vineyards, which made planning go very smoothly for us. I did not have to stress about anything that Mike was in charge of! Mike Lund is definitely the right choice if you are looking for a quality caterer.

Sent on 03/25/2016

Charlotte · Married on 07/27/2013

My husband and I are from New Orleans but wanted to get married on my aunt and uncle's beautiful Charlottesville property. We are accustomed to excellent food--my husband is a suburb cook and we live in a foodie city. I considered various catering options and Mike Lund seemed to be the best fit for us. And we were absolutely THRILLED with the food, as were our guests. I don't eat meat, but do eat seafood, eggs, and dairy, so hoped he'd have plenty of options for me. We always prefer to eat locally-sourced food and Mike was really great about sticking with that (I believe that's part of his philosophy). Mike put together a sample menu based on what I'd told him we wanted and it was absolutely perfect. I didn't change a single thing (I am a perfectionist, so this is rare for me). The presentation was on point. The reception was outside, so not extremely formal, but we still wanted it to be elegant. Mike provided everything needed and indeed, the presentation was elegant but in keeping with an afternoon outdoor wedding theme. The food was so good that I included photographs of it in my wedding album as well as the entire written menu--because I want to remember those wonderful flavors forever. His staff was equally excellent. They anticipated the needs of the guests and appeared to effortlessly keep food and drinks flowing. I truly couldn't have been more pleased and would't have changed a thing.

Elizabeth · Married on 03/09/2013

Mike Lund was absolutely incredible! He was completely aligned with our values surrounding food, quality, presentation and where to source it from. He purchased from farms I suggested and traveled to a beautiful bed and breakfast to prepare and serve it to our intimate wedding party and guests. He offered a package that worked with our budget and kept in close contact with me and with the innkeeper from our planning to the ceremony. Amazing experience! I HIGHLY recommend Mike Lund!

Sent on 03/27/2016

For our wedding in August 2012, we wanted something locally sourced, seasonal, and served family style. Mike met with us, listened to our ideas, proposed some excellent ideas in a sample menu, and then worked with us to finalize the menu to our liking. Our guests loved the food (and so did we!) and that was very important to us.

Mike was wonderful to work with, and we've continued to feel grateful that we found him! We met with a few caterers before meeting with Mike, and we were surprised at just how inflexible the other caterers were. Mike immediately stood out as a welcome alternative.

In the planning, he helped us think through details like the rental process for table settings/barware, the timing of cocktail hour/dinner/dancing, and the ideal number of servers and bartenders. He was easy to get in touch with, and he was reliable in his follow through.

On the day of the event, he went over and above to ensure everything ran smoothly. He managed the servers/bartenders, ensured that appetizers and wine were ready to go at the start of cocktail hour, and generally was just a warm and professional presence throughout the evening.

We can't recommend him strongly enough!

K · Married on 06/02/2012

Mike was amazing. He worked with us to create a wonderful menu that our guests say was the best food they've ever had at a wedding.

Sent on 03/23/2016

Laura · Married on 04/13/2019

Exceptional food and amazing service

It was clear from my first phone call with Mike that he has an amazing passion for food. He asked what I had in mind for my menu, and when I admitted I wasn’t sure yet, asked what kind of food I like to eat and what flavors I enjoy- and from that conversation dreamed up a brand-new, perfect-for-us entree, and I was sold. He emphasizes fresh, local produce and proteins and his relationships with local vendors mean he’s working with really high-quality ingredients- and he knows how to make them shine. Our tasting at Lundch was an exceptional meal and Mike took notes on our thoughts to help develop our well-balanced, personalized, absolutely delicious menu. He was endlessly flexible, including adapting our menu plans from fall to spring when we moved our wedding date and adjusting portions to include four rather than three sides to round out the buffet.
    On the wedding day, the food was just as delicious as we expected and we had high praise from our guests, including a lot of happy vegetarians who appreciated that the veggies were a star rather than an afterthought. In addition, his staff and service were exceptional. Every one of his employees was extremely professional, warm, and helpful and they kept the cocktail hour, buffet, and bar running seamlessly. Our parents had the chance to chat with Mike and mentioned how kind and calming he was. He also personally delivered a plate of canapes and cheese to us when we arrived to cocktail hour, had his staff preset our plates for dinner to make sure we got to eat, and made us some kickass to-go boxes at the end of the night that were the perfect next-day lunch. We couldn’t be happier that we chose Mike Lund as our caterer or recommend him more highly!

Sent on 04/28/2019

Patti · Married on 10/22/2016

Would Only Have Mike Lund Catering do another wedding for us if I was planning another one! He along with his staff were the most Professional and such attention to detail. The food was outstanding and displayed Beautifully. We got rave reviews from out guests!! Fresh food and locally grown as well.

Sent on 02/27/2017