Michael's Eighth Avenue Reviews

Michael's Eighth Avenue 5
Michael's Eighth Avenue 6
Michael's Eighth Avenue 7

SheRa · Married on 12/04/2010

I would have to say that of all the venues we looked at for our reception, Michael's was the best. My favorite person to work with her was Janet although all of the staff was helpful whenever we called or dropped by. The value for the cost was unbelievable. We had about 100 guests and paid about $4000 which was great for the space, food, and everything else they included. They setup everything for us including centerpieces, candles, napkin wraps, and even threw in a free cash bar for our guests. We were also surprised when we arrived and learned that it was free drinks for the entire bridal party. We had a sit down dinner and the staff made sure every guest was confortable. I think we were the only wedding that day, and we were originally in a smaller room but Janet moved us to the larger room so we could be more comfortable and have more space to party. We did have one issue with the person they contract their cakes too, but Michaels quickly fixed the issue. Janet set it up that we would work with their inhouse cake person Dan and he did an excellent job on our cake. We provided him a picture we found on theknot.com and he made our cake come to life. If there was any higher rating I could give them I would. If I plan on having anymore functions I would give them a call in heartbeat. You can really tell this is a family run business because everyone is there to make sure you have a wonderful day. If you live in the Baltimore area, you should give Michaels a call!

Sent on 12/14/2010

John · Married on 10/02/2010

Michael's was incredible! They catered to our every need. I didn't know service could be this good. Barry did everything he could for us to make our special day the best. We received so many compliments on the ceremony, the lighting, the bartenders, EVERYTHING. My wedding was the greatest day of my life, thank you Michaels!

Sent on 10/04/2010
  • tjageh2

tanicka · Married on 07/09/2010

Im so happy that I choose Michaels for my wedding & cermony on July 9th, it was so nice and all my family and friends loved it.I will recommend Michaels to everyone.

Sent on 07/12/2010
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 07/03/2010

Michaels 8th Ave was great! The pricing was very reasonable and the people were sooo helpful!

They were so flexible. They let us come in a couple days early to start prepping the flowers. They also gladly allowed extra time for the rehearsal, since a bunch of us were late due to traffic :/ They set everything up on the tables the way I planned and allowed me to be as creative as I wanted. Overall, they were just all about pleasing their guests!

The ballrooms are huge with high ceilings which I loved. Also, I wanted a big dance floor and they definitely made that happen:)

Connie was our maître d’ and she did it all! She made sure everything ran smoothly and was always there for us if we had any questions, or needed anything! At one point during the reception, one of our guests ate something he was allergic to and Connie was set to run to the store to get him Benadryl. We were 100% comfortable with Connie and were so happy to have her help with our reception.

At the end, everyone saw us off, but I didn't think to get any of my things. (I even left my shoes! oops). The staff at Michaels and Connie organized everything and sent it home with my parents.

They were very professional, yet focused 100% on us for the whole day.

Sent on 07/20/2010

Bree · Married on 04/09/2010

My wedding was at Michael's Eighth Avenue on April 9th and I must say that they did a phenomenal job. The staff was awesome and were more than accomodating. I was very pleased with the attention to detail and the one-on-one time that was given to me. It was the perfect wedding day and Michael's played a major role in the overall success of my wedding.

Sent on 05/13/2010

Jessica · Married on 10/31/2009

I'm so glad I used Michael's Eighth Avenue for both my ceremony and reception. They were very accommodating with my requests and I could not have been happier. We wanted an evening wedding (for Halloween) and normally they don't do weddings that start after 5pm. But that was really my deal breaker and they worked it for me. And since we had a Halloween theme, they let us set up our decorations the day before the wedding, so we wouldn't have to do it the day of. They took care of setting up the tables and centerpieces and followed my instructions to a tee. We had a full cocktail reception and there was a ton of food! They actually packed up the leftovers and let me take the food home. I was not expecting that at all. We had an open bar and the bartender Darlene was awesome. She was not stingy at all on the liquor. And she was always handing me a drink. And she gave me a bottle of wine and champagne to take home. Our maitre'd, Connie was great as well. She took great care of me and my bridal party. We did have one snag with the cake lady, Dee, who is contracted by Michael's (I'm not sure if she still is, after our incident) but they took care of it very promptly and Dan, their head chef and cake baker, made us a gorgeous halloween themed cake. For such short notice (a week before) he did a great job. Everyone at Michael's was very willing to accommodate us and make us happy. And it didn't break our budget!!! The prices were very reasonable and affordable. I'm so pleased.

Sent on 11/19/2009
  • Beth

Beth · Married on 03/22/2008

My wedding day went off without a hitch. The staff was very wonderful and I have had many of my guests tell me how helpful and accommondating the staff was. I highly reccommend Michael's Eighth Avenue for both the ceremony and reception venue.

Sent on 03/31/2008

Lisa · Married on 09/22/2007

Michael's did a wonderful job. We expetced that because we have been to a few weddings there. They were extremely accomodating and worked well with us since we had such a large wedding. The food was great, and the guests raved about it. They have such a nice set up with a beautiful grand staircase that the bridal party gets introduced from and walks down. That really sells that place. The only thing we were dissapointed with that day was our Maitre'D, Connie. They claimed she was the best, and she was just the opposite.

Sent on 01/10/2008

Nakeya · Married on 05/12/2007

I would absolutely recommend Michaels' to anyone and everyone. I loved the personal attention and all the detail that went into decorating our hall. I loved it and Thank You everyone that helped make our day so special.

Sent on 10/04/2008

Our wedding was in their BEAUTIFUL Garden. We couldn't have asked for a better wedding! Nora was extremely helpful with all of my many questions and kept me at ease when I would get overwhelmed. Shannon and Fallon were so great at organizing our rehearsal and wedding day. I was able to relax and enjoy my every minute of our wedding! July 11, 2014 was the best day of my life! :)

Sent on 12/10/2014

Andi · Married on 01/23/2014

Our wedding was held on January 23rd 2014. Shannon Hinkle was our contact and Connie was our Maitre' D. We booked our reception and ceremony in Ballroom A, approximately 10 months in advance. My wife and I (yes, we are lesbians) made sure we booked a gay friendly venue for our wedding. Michael's on 8th did not disappoint.

First, we walked into the venue to inquire about pricing without a reservation. Tacky, I know, but we happened to be in the area. We expected to simply get a few brochures and a price sheet. Instead, Shannon Hinkle met with us, gave us a tour and helped us figure out dates, times, pricing and a host of other items. There was ZERO pressure to sign a contract and we received nothing but support, information and prices. Our questions were answered promptly and professionally with a variety of option for the size of our wedding (about 125 guests).

A week later, we signed a contract.

My wife and I peppered Shannon with questions, details and even changes throughout the 10 months before the wedding. Shannon was patient, kind, informative and incredibly professional.

When it came time for our wedding, the linens, tablecloths, food, service and every detail we agreed upon was prepared with exceptional service. It was AWESOME.

Our Maitre D was Connie. Connie has more energy than my 9 year old during a Chuck E. Cheese Party. Connie kept us on time, ran errands, fed us and reminded us to eat the food we were served! She was strong when it was needed, soft when it was needed and professional at all times.

Michael's on 8th is an exceptional value and an incredible place to help make any event memorable. I can't thank them enough for all the hard work they put in for our wedding.

Sent on 01/31/2014

Shawana · Married on 07/03/2011

I normally do not write reviews but our wedding was FANTASTIC!!!! We are SO glad we booked Michael's. We booked our event with Janet and she was so friendly and sweet and really set the tone for this family friendly place; along the way of us booking we worked with just about all the girls and they were ALL WONDERFUL!! Best group of girls I work it and I'm in the Hospitality Industry so it takes A LOT to impress and they exceeded my expectations. Our wedding was so much fun, the food was great, the room looked fantastic, Bonnie (our Matri' D) was great; very professional, nice and all around fun person. Just to show how above and beyond they go; the bar tenders were making these specialty drinks for guest and our guest loved them; our limo was late picking us up and Bonnie offered to give us a ride back to our hotel; I asked them to pack up some food for my husband and I since we didnt eat and they packed a TON up. We got married on July 3rd and our guest are ranting and raving about how our place was the best and our wedding was Beautiful! So thank you Michael's Staff you made a dream come true of having the BEST wedding ever!! :)

Sent on 07/20/2011

Janice · Married on 12/18/2009

Our wedding was absolutely perfect. Recomend!

Sent on 01/04/2010
  • User2094542 · 2+ years ago

My wedding was absolutely wonderful. I was looking for an outdoor venue and Michael's offered an amazingly beautiful garden. The staff was really professional and took the time to ensure that my wedding was the special day I dreamed of. The were very reasonable priced and I liked that I was able to have everything in one place and that so many things were included in my package. Michael's exceeded my expectations and made wedding planning less stressful. I would definitely recommend Michael's.

Sent on 10/28/2013

Michael's Eighth Avenue made my wedding day perfect and absolutely worry-free. We purchased the all-inclusive wedding package, so Michael's provided the venue, meal, appetizers, cake, alcohol, setup, cleanup, and lighting. Everything was great, and I didn't have to worry about it at all. I gave them pictures of how I wanted the tables setup and a drawing of how the room should be setup and everything looked perfect when we arrived on our wedding day. The accent lighting package with our names projected on the giant screen made the room look wonderful. The staff was very responsive to all my questions.

My only complaint was that they didn't serve the cake like we were told, probably because we were a little behind schedule. They cut the cake and wrapped it in napkins for the guests to take on the way out, which was trashy. They didn't even put it on plates or provide plasticware, eventhough there was some time left for people to eat it. I would have purchased little boxes for the cake if I knew they were going to do that.

Sent on 01/08/2014
  • U

Stephanie · Married on 10/22/2010

Connie was our coordinator for our wedding and she was just wonderful! Connie stayed on top of things and made sure everything went smoothly. When things were not correct initially, she corrected them immediately. The bride (me) never knew there was something wrong because the groom let Connie know and she had it fixed in NO time!
    -Food was good and the bartender was AWESOME (so I heard from the guests)!

Sent on 03/22/2012
  • Renate

Renate · Married on 09/12/2010

Overall, our wedding at Michaels went very well. We had only the reception there. One of the biggest issues I had was that the centerpiece that my mom specifically purchased for the parent's table ended up on my grandmother's table. Another problem was that even though I made sure all the placecards were in order, and I drew a map of where everyone was to sit, a lot of people were not where they belonged. From what I heard from my husband and guests, the prime rib was delicious. I had Chicken Parmesan, and thought it was ok, and there were not good reviews on the stuffed shells from the vegetarians. Also, we had the after dinner buffet, but the food was not announced so maybe 3 people out of 150 ate from it. They did send the leftovers home with us though.
    Our maitre 'd was Connie and she was wonderful. She made sure all of my belongings were packed up and when our guests began leaving early she made sure we did the bouquet toss and any otehr important things before everyone else left. Overall, I would definitely recommend Michaels!

Sent on 09/19/2010

Colleen · Married on 06/19/2010

Michael's 8th Avenue is an amazing location to host a wedding. Bonnie our Maitre'd was a wonderful addition and really kept me "stress-free" on the day of the wedding. As with any wedding there were minor details that were not exactly how they should have been, which for me were the head table end table pieces, but the ones on the table were my second choice and equally as beautiful, so it was not a HUGE problem for me on my wedding day. The food was amazing, the bartender was fast and fun, the maitre'd was an asset, and the tables were decorated beautifully. Thank you again!

Sent on 07/01/2010

Mario · Married on 03/30/2018

My Daugther just got merried 03/30/18. I went to place a found that almost everything was already set up. It was raining and they already have a plan A and B. I met laddy named Connie Woods, who work on that place, and she made sure that we receive everything we request, even if it was last minutes request. The place was set up as planned and they make sure that you and your familly really enjoy your party.

Sent on 04/03/2018
  • I

Ingrid · Getting married on 05/26/2019

3.5

As the Wedding Planner for my couple, it was SUCH a relief to have the support and leadership of the Michael's Team. The value of their packages was great too. It was one-stop shopping for most of the necessities: up lighting, linen choices, awesome food and the garden left us speechless. We worked with Sarah for the initial process, up through wedding day. She was great. Always responsive to emails. For the Rehearsal and Wedding Day activities, we worked with Tia. Awesome is not enough to describe her contributions. From running through the rehearsal to implementing on the day of the wedding, she was simply amazing! I'll definitely refer Michael's to my brides going forward.

Sent on 06/15/2015

Pamela · Married on 06/14/2014

3.0

We couldn't be happier with how things turned out for our wedding! There were some hiccups during the engagement when trying to plan the wedding as our consultants kept getting switched up, but by the end we were in contact with a few main people and they made sure everything went as smoothly as possible! Would definitely recommend to others! Wish I could live the night all over again b/c it went so fast! Everything Michael's promised, they produced, even when it came to being flexible and giving us options! Thanks Michael's!

Sent on 06/25/2014
  • R&R

Rhonda · Married on 04/25/2009

3.5

chose Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie, Maryland as our reception venue based on a trusted recommendation. The staff were very nice and professional, and very easy to work with. They were also very accommodating of our needs and any special request we had. They are very good about not "nickel and dime-ing" you. When I realized my attendance numbers were growing, they suggested I expand to a full room, rather than a half room and no additional charge even though I would not meet the minimum head-count for that size room. They also allowed me to add a cash bar at no additional charge to compensate for the vegetarian meals (they charge the same amount for a veggie meal as they would a full meat entree).

On the day of the reception, Connie - our Maître 'd was very accommodating and attentive. They took special care to follow my instructions for setting up the cake table, gift table, and favors to the detail. The only "issue" I had with this vendor was the quality of the entrees. I ordered the Prime Rib as one of my entree selections, and many of my guests complained that their meat was cold and "bloody", when I specifically asked for it to be prepared at a well-done temperature. In addition, they did not "serve" the wedding cake to each guest, but rather displayed it in slices wrapped in paper towels at the entrance/exit door for guests to take home.

All in all, I would recommend Michael's Eighth Avenue for receptions/catering. You can't beat the customer service, location, and price!

Sent on 05/19/2009

Laura · Married on 09/20/2007

This place is beautiful and I did have some requests that I didn't think they would be able to pull off, and they did it with no problem. They also had a list of people who could do the wedding cake and the person I picked did a beautiful job!! The food was great!!

Sent on 01/16/2008

3.5

My new husband and I had a great time and really appreciate the staff going above and beyond to make our event very special.

Sent on 06/15/2015

2.0
      2.0

There were a significant amount of issues at our reception that could have been avoided had Michael's Eighth been better prepared and fully staffed our event.

1. We were originally afforded 2 hours before the event for set up. It was expressed that this was nearly not enough time to decorate. Thankfully, after multiple requests, they extended our set up time. Michael's Eighth agreed to put together the centerpieces providing we supply a picture and the materials. The centerpieces looked nothing like we depicted them, even though we sent help to demonstrate how they should be assembled on the morning of the event. They were put together haphazardly, and looked skimpy. Only to find out that many of the flowers were left in their fridge unused! We received an apology because "the staff ran out of time."
    2. The food preparation was late, and our vegetarian guests did not eat until the other guests were done their main course
    3. The staff responsiveness to our concerns was weak, and made us feel at times that our event was on the backburner (they had another wedding on the same day). To date, we still have not been able to speak to the manager about these concerns.
    4. One of the servers smelled of marijuana.
    5. Pros: The catering department did well accomodating our cultural dish requests and the cake they made was beautiful/tasty! Connie, is the best Maitre D ever! She even packed up food for us to take home! She was so attentive and seemed to be one of few who took their job very seriously. If the day was better staffed, things would have run much smoother.
    6. Advice: Caution if you have your wedding on anyone else's date, if you do share your event date with another couple, plan to take pictures elsewhere-use of the garden is not guaranteed! Make sure you send some help/supervision to stick around until everything is setup if you're a DIY type, and ask how your event will be staffed and get names. Hope this is helpful!

Sent on 07/20/2016