Michael's Eighth Avenue Reviews

Michael's Eighth Avenue 5
Michael's Eighth Avenue 6
Michael's Eighth Avenue 7

Ebony · Married on 04/05/2013

We ABSOLUTELY loved Michaels, they were the best. I had looked around at a lot of other venuesthat were pretty pricey and I had to choose from their specified Catering list. Then came along from out of the Heavens Michaels Eighth Avenue. They offered us a phenomenal package at the greatest price. Their outside garden was beautiful and Shannon who heads the outside events is steadily adding new elements to make the space even more desireable. They were patient, prepared, and willing to do anything asked and anything not asked. For my wedding my aunts who does weddings all the time assisted me with a lot of the planning but throughtout my time planning the staff ( Ms. Janet and Shannon especially) acted as a wedding planner.
    My wedding was so blissful and I will never forget how wonderful Michael Eighth Avenue was in helping us create such a wonderful day.
    Lastly, they were so accomadating that Shannon went out of her way to find me a wagon to use for my oldet son to pull my baby down the aisle. Just adding another wonderful effect to my wedding to have my little boys as the ring bears. Not to mention how patient and caring she was with my children. THE BEST. COULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR MORE...........HURRY UP AND CHECK THEM OUT DON'T LET THE OPPORTUNITY PAST YOU BY......I STILL HAVE GUEST TELLING ME THAT IT WAS THE BEST WEDDING THAT THEY HAVE EVER BEEN TO. ;)

Sent on 04/18/2013
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 12/02/2012

I CANNOT say enough good things about my experience with Michael's Eighth Avenue!! I worked with Ms. Janice in the office for all the planning and paperwork and she was awesome! I KNOW I called her like 20 times over the course of my planning and I SWEAR every convo started with me saying 'Hey Ms. Janice, I'm SOO sorry to bother u again' or 'Hey Ms. Janice, It's Jessica, AGAIN, sorry to be so neurotic!' And every single time I called it was 'It's not a problem at all Jessica.' or 'It's why I'm here!'. She was patient, kind and understanding of the fact that while it was what she did for a living, it was MY only wedding planning experience & I was super type A about getting it all just right! She was a joy to work with and made the entire planning phase enjoyable!
    As for the Maitre D, ASK FOR CONNIE BY NAME!!!!!! Almost every review I'd read in my research says to do this and so I did. And I could not have asked for anyone better! Connie was the best thing that happened to me on my wedding day next to my Hubby! Not only was she patient, kind & professional, she made sure her only mission that day was ME! And as self centered as that may sound, trust me the day of, that's EXACTLY what u need! If she hadn't brought food to me, I wouldn't have eaten a thing! She's such a pro, she knew how to keep the night moving and while we had an AMAZING DJ and he ran the show, Connie knew how to run things seamlessly from behind the scenes. She kept the whole day flowing without flaw & she worked almost completely in shadow! She deserves an award for her amazing work & there just aren't words to thank her enough for it all. I cried as I wrote her Thank You card when we came back from our honeymoon & AGAIN as I had a convo with my Hubby just recently after attending a wedding at another venue (blah!) & realizing just how BLESSED we were!
    Some say it's not a real wedding without something going wrong?? Than we didn't have one because everyone at Michael's made sure ours was flawless!

Sent on 04/02/2013

Khadija · Married on 11/03/2012

I am so glad we picked Michael’s to have our ceremony and reception. I am 100% satisfied with the service we received from the time we booked the venue up to the date of the wedding. I have spoken to several people there and they each were so helpful. From the owners son down to the people that place the linen on the tables. The sales ladies Ms. Janet, Ms. Jan, Shannon were FANTASTIC. No matter when I called or came in they were so helpful and willing to answer all my questions. Barry was WONDERFUL! He was there to help out with the rehersal and the day of the wedding to make sure everything went smoothly. My family just loved Barry! Dan made sure that our cake was exactly how we wanted it. Everyone was very professional. Their willingness to make my day special I will never forget. Everyone is still raving about how good the food was! The day went so fast I wish I had more time to enjoy it! If anyone is looking for a venue Michael’s Eighth Avenue is one place you should look into and you definitely will not be disappointed. Thank you Michael’s Eighth Avenue for helping to make my day special!

Sent on 11/12/2012

The workers have great personality, helpful and professional. I love the Garden... My cake was beautiful decorated thanks to chef, he done a great job.

Sent on 01/04/2013

SheRa · Married on 12/04/2010

I would have to say that of all the venues we looked at for our reception, Michael's was the best. My favorite person to work with her was Janet although all of the staff was helpful whenever we called or dropped by. The value for the cost was unbelievable. We had about 100 guests and paid about $4000 which was great for the space, food, and everything else they included. They setup everything for us including centerpieces, candles, napkin wraps, and even threw in a free cash bar for our guests. We were also surprised when we arrived and learned that it was free drinks for the entire bridal party. We had a sit down dinner and the staff made sure every guest was confortable. I think we were the only wedding that day, and we were originally in a smaller room but Janet moved us to the larger room so we could be more comfortable and have more space to party. We did have one issue with the person they contract their cakes too, but Michaels quickly fixed the issue. Janet set it up that we would work with their inhouse cake person Dan and he did an excellent job on our cake. We provided him a picture we found on theknot.com and he made our cake come to life. If there was any higher rating I could give them I would. If I plan on having anymore functions I would give them a call in heartbeat. You can really tell this is a family run business because everyone is there to make sure you have a wonderful day. If you live in the Baltimore area, you should give Michaels a call!

Sent on 12/14/2010

John · Married on 10/02/2010

Michael's was incredible! They catered to our every need. I didn't know service could be this good. Barry did everything he could for us to make our special day the best. We received so many compliments on the ceremony, the lighting, the bartenders, EVERYTHING. My wedding was the greatest day of my life, thank you Michaels!

Sent on 10/04/2010
  • tjageh2

tanicka · Married on 07/09/2010

Im so happy that I choose Michaels for my wedding & cermony on July 9th, it was so nice and all my family and friends loved it.I will recommend Michaels to everyone.

Sent on 07/12/2010
  • Heather

Heather · Married on 07/03/2010

Michaels 8th Ave was great! The pricing was very reasonable and the people were sooo helpful!

They were so flexible. They let us come in a couple days early to start prepping the flowers. They also gladly allowed extra time for the rehearsal, since a bunch of us were late due to traffic :/ They set everything up on the tables the way I planned and allowed me to be as creative as I wanted. Overall, they were just all about pleasing their guests!

The ballrooms are huge with high ceilings which I loved. Also, I wanted a big dance floor and they definitely made that happen:)

Connie was our maître d’ and she did it all! She made sure everything ran smoothly and was always there for us if we had any questions, or needed anything! At one point during the reception, one of our guests ate something he was allergic to and Connie was set to run to the store to get him Benadryl. We were 100% comfortable with Connie and were so happy to have her help with our reception.

At the end, everyone saw us off, but I didn't think to get any of my things. (I even left my shoes! oops). The staff at Michaels and Connie organized everything and sent it home with my parents.

They were very professional, yet focused 100% on us for the whole day.

Sent on 07/20/2010

Bree · Married on 04/09/2010

My wedding was at Michael's Eighth Avenue on April 9th and I must say that they did a phenomenal job. The staff was awesome and were more than accomodating. I was very pleased with the attention to detail and the one-on-one time that was given to me. It was the perfect wedding day and Michael's played a major role in the overall success of my wedding.

Sent on 05/13/2010

Jessica · Married on 10/31/2009

I'm so glad I used Michael's Eighth Avenue for both my ceremony and reception. They were very accommodating with my requests and I could not have been happier. We wanted an evening wedding (for Halloween) and normally they don't do weddings that start after 5pm. But that was really my deal breaker and they worked it for me. And since we had a Halloween theme, they let us set up our decorations the day before the wedding, so we wouldn't have to do it the day of. They took care of setting up the tables and centerpieces and followed my instructions to a tee. We had a full cocktail reception and there was a ton of food! They actually packed up the leftovers and let me take the food home. I was not expecting that at all. We had an open bar and the bartender Darlene was awesome. She was not stingy at all on the liquor. And she was always handing me a drink. And she gave me a bottle of wine and champagne to take home. Our maitre'd, Connie was great as well. She took great care of me and my bridal party. We did have one snag with the cake lady, Dee, who is contracted by Michael's (I'm not sure if she still is, after our incident) but they took care of it very promptly and Dan, their head chef and cake baker, made us a gorgeous halloween themed cake. For such short notice (a week before) he did a great job. Everyone at Michael's was very willing to accommodate us and make us happy. And it didn't break our budget!!! The prices were very reasonable and affordable. I'm so pleased.

Sent on 11/19/2009
  • Beth

Beth · Married on 03/22/2008

My wedding day went off without a hitch. The staff was very wonderful and I have had many of my guests tell me how helpful and accommondating the staff was. I highly reccommend Michael's Eighth Avenue for both the ceremony and reception venue.

Sent on 03/31/2008

Lisa · Married on 09/22/2007

Michael's did a wonderful job. We expetced that because we have been to a few weddings there. They were extremely accomodating and worked well with us since we had such a large wedding. The food was great, and the guests raved about it. They have such a nice set up with a beautiful grand staircase that the bridal party gets introduced from and walks down. That really sells that place. The only thing we were dissapointed with that day was our Maitre'D, Connie. They claimed she was the best, and she was just the opposite.

Sent on 01/10/2008

Nakeya · Married on 05/12/2007

I would absolutely recommend Michaels' to anyone and everyone. I loved the personal attention and all the detail that went into decorating our hall. I loved it and Thank You everyone that helped make our day so special.

Sent on 10/04/2008

Our wedding was in their BEAUTIFUL Garden. We couldn't have asked for a better wedding! Nora was extremely helpful with all of my many questions and kept me at ease when I would get overwhelmed. Shannon and Fallon were so great at organizing our rehearsal and wedding day. I was able to relax and enjoy my every minute of our wedding! July 11, 2014 was the best day of my life! :)

Sent on 12/10/2014

Andi · Married on 01/23/2014

Our wedding was held on January 23rd 2014. Shannon Hinkle was our contact and Connie was our Maitre' D. We booked our reception and ceremony in Ballroom A, approximately 10 months in advance. My wife and I (yes, we are lesbians) made sure we booked a gay friendly venue for our wedding. Michael's on 8th did not disappoint.

First, we walked into the venue to inquire about pricing without a reservation. Tacky, I know, but we happened to be in the area. We expected to simply get a few brochures and a price sheet. Instead, Shannon Hinkle met with us, gave us a tour and helped us figure out dates, times, pricing and a host of other items. There was ZERO pressure to sign a contract and we received nothing but support, information and prices. Our questions were answered promptly and professionally with a variety of option for the size of our wedding (about 125 guests).

A week later, we signed a contract.

My wife and I peppered Shannon with questions, details and even changes throughout the 10 months before the wedding. Shannon was patient, kind, informative and incredibly professional.

When it came time for our wedding, the linens, tablecloths, food, service and every detail we agreed upon was prepared with exceptional service. It was AWESOME.

Our Maitre D was Connie. Connie has more energy than my 9 year old during a Chuck E. Cheese Party. Connie kept us on time, ran errands, fed us and reminded us to eat the food we were served! She was strong when it was needed, soft when it was needed and professional at all times.

Michael's on 8th is an exceptional value and an incredible place to help make any event memorable. I can't thank them enough for all the hard work they put in for our wedding.

Sent on 01/31/2014

Shawana · Married on 07/03/2011

I normally do not write reviews but our wedding was FANTASTIC!!!! We are SO glad we booked Michael's. We booked our event with Janet and she was so friendly and sweet and really set the tone for this family friendly place; along the way of us booking we worked with just about all the girls and they were ALL WONDERFUL!! Best group of girls I work it and I'm in the Hospitality Industry so it takes A LOT to impress and they exceeded my expectations. Our wedding was so much fun, the food was great, the room looked fantastic, Bonnie (our Matri' D) was great; very professional, nice and all around fun person. Just to show how above and beyond they go; the bar tenders were making these specialty drinks for guest and our guest loved them; our limo was late picking us up and Bonnie offered to give us a ride back to our hotel; I asked them to pack up some food for my husband and I since we didnt eat and they packed a TON up. We got married on July 3rd and our guest are ranting and raving about how our place was the best and our wedding was Beautiful! So thank you Michael's Staff you made a dream come true of having the BEST wedding ever!! :)

Sent on 07/20/2011

Janice · Married on 12/18/2009

Our wedding was absolutely perfect. Recomend!

Sent on 01/04/2010
  • Marlansgirl

Shirelle · Married on 09/12/2015

We are getting married in the Gardens at Michael's Eighth Avenue in September. We wanted an outdoor wedding and had considered a couple other spots before we came to Michael's. From the first phone conversation, we knew this was going to be the place for us. Sarah, our wedding coordinator, was fairly new, but she took care of us as if she had been doing this for years. The Gardens were absolutely beautiful, and the reception hall with the spiral stairs added just the touch we wanted. I would say the interior could be a little more modern, but it does offer a certain vintage charm and personality. Every staff person is not only professional, but extremely helpful. From the time we booked our venue, I visited the grounds and the hall at least once a month just to get my ideas and plans for my big day. No matter how often I wanted to come, Sarah and the staff always made themselves available to me for any questions or concerns that I had. I am so excited to not only be marrying my best friend, but to have such a beautiful and charming place for all of our family and friends to celebrate and share this special moment with us.

Sent on 08/28/2015
  • User2094542 · 2+ years ago

My wedding was absolutely wonderful. I was looking for an outdoor venue and Michael's offered an amazingly beautiful garden. The staff was really professional and took the time to ensure that my wedding was the special day I dreamed of. The were very reasonable priced and I liked that I was able to have everything in one place and that so many things were included in my package. Michael's exceeded my expectations and made wedding planning less stressful. I would definitely recommend Michael's.

Sent on 10/28/2013

Michael's Eighth Avenue made my wedding day perfect and absolutely worry-free. We purchased the all-inclusive wedding package, so Michael's provided the venue, meal, appetizers, cake, alcohol, setup, cleanup, and lighting. Everything was great, and I didn't have to worry about it at all. I gave them pictures of how I wanted the tables setup and a drawing of how the room should be setup and everything looked perfect when we arrived on our wedding day. The accent lighting package with our names projected on the giant screen made the room look wonderful. The staff was very responsive to all my questions.

My only complaint was that they didn't serve the cake like we were told, probably because we were a little behind schedule. They cut the cake and wrapped it in napkins for the guests to take on the way out, which was trashy. They didn't even put it on plates or provide plasticware, eventhough there was some time left for people to eat it. I would have purchased little boxes for the cake if I knew they were going to do that.

Sent on 01/08/2014
  • U

Stephanie · Married on 10/22/2010

Connie was our coordinator for our wedding and she was just wonderful! Connie stayed on top of things and made sure everything went smoothly. When things were not correct initially, she corrected them immediately. The bride (me) never knew there was something wrong because the groom let Connie know and she had it fixed in NO time!
    -Food was good and the bartender was AWESOME (so I heard from the guests)!

Sent on 03/22/2012
  • Renate

Renate · Married on 09/12/2010

Overall, our wedding at Michaels went very well. We had only the reception there. One of the biggest issues I had was that the centerpiece that my mom specifically purchased for the parent's table ended up on my grandmother's table. Another problem was that even though I made sure all the placecards were in order, and I drew a map of where everyone was to sit, a lot of people were not where they belonged. From what I heard from my husband and guests, the prime rib was delicious. I had Chicken Parmesan, and thought it was ok, and there were not good reviews on the stuffed shells from the vegetarians. Also, we had the after dinner buffet, but the food was not announced so maybe 3 people out of 150 ate from it. They did send the leftovers home with us though.
    Our maitre 'd was Connie and she was wonderful. She made sure all of my belongings were packed up and when our guests began leaving early she made sure we did the bouquet toss and any otehr important things before everyone else left. Overall, I would definitely recommend Michaels!

Sent on 09/19/2010

Colleen · Married on 06/19/2010

Michael's 8th Avenue is an amazing location to host a wedding. Bonnie our Maitre'd was a wonderful addition and really kept me "stress-free" on the day of the wedding. As with any wedding there were minor details that were not exactly how they should have been, which for me were the head table end table pieces, but the ones on the table were my second choice and equally as beautiful, so it was not a HUGE problem for me on my wedding day. The food was amazing, the bartender was fast and fun, the maitre'd was an asset, and the tables were decorated beautifully. Thank you again!

Sent on 07/01/2010

Mario · Married on 03/30/2018

My Daugther just got merried 03/30/18. I went to place a found that almost everything was already set up. It was raining and they already have a plan A and B. I met laddy named Connie Woods, who work on that place, and she made sure that we receive everything we request, even if it was last minutes request. The place was set up as planned and they make sure that you and your familly really enjoy your party.

Sent on 04/03/2018
  • I

Ingrid · Married on 05/26/2019

3.5

As the Wedding Planner for my couple, it was SUCH a relief to have the support and leadership of the Michael's Team. The value of their packages was great too. It was one-stop shopping for most of the necessities: up lighting, linen choices, awesome food and the garden left us speechless. We worked with Sarah for the initial process, up through wedding day. She was great. Always responsive to emails. For the Rehearsal and Wedding Day activities, we worked with Tia. Awesome is not enough to describe her contributions. From running through the rehearsal to implementing on the day of the wedding, she was simply amazing! I'll definitely refer Michael's to my brides going forward.

Sent on 06/15/2015