McMenamins Grand Lodge Reviews

53 | Forest Grove, OR

53 Reviews for McMenamins Grand Lodge

Shyloh · Married on 01/21/2012

Our Ceremony and Reception were held at Grand Lodge in the Compass room and I can not say enough wonderful things about how beautiful, perfect it was! I highly recommend booking with them! Their food is phenomenal!

Sent on 01/27/2012

Becky · Married on 07/11/2008

The quality and service of this venue was spectacular. The staff and wedding coordinator went out of their way to make our wedding run smoothly. The food was perfect. The garden was gorgeous. We couldn’t have asked for a better place to get married.

Sent on 01/17/2010

Mason · Married on 11/08/2015

PLANNING YOUR EVENT: Marcy and Perla were very helpful and were there to answer all our questions and had several great ideas on planning the wedding. They took the time to make sure it was the wedding we both wanted.

FUNCTION ROOM/MEETING SPACE: Both rooms were really beautiful and very clean.

SERVICE DURING THE EVENT: The catering staff was very helpful and made sure to be there and take care of anything we needed. They were always ready to help but never in the way.

FOOD & BEVERAGE: The food was good overall. The BBQ chicken and green beans were the best. The steak was flavorful but the temperature was inconsistent. Some were medium, some were medium rare, a couple were closer to rare. The biscuits were a big hit. People were too full to get to the dessert, but the people who did liked it.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: It was a great wedding. People loved the food and location. My bride Liry and I were so happy with the wedding. It was perfect. I know everyone that helped put in a lot of hard work. It was also a great value for the amount of people we had. We are very happy. If we ever renew our vows we will be back to the Grand Lodge.

Sent on 12/05/2015

Kimberly · Married on 05/25/2014

The team at mcmenamins grand lodge was amazing. They worked with us on the planning and helped us to decide where we were going to have the ceremony and what to do in case of bad weather. They also let us book an additional space at no charge because when we viewed the location it was still included. The hair and makeup was great and they booked me just weeks before the wedding because my person backed down last minute. They came in early to make sure I had what I needed. They treated us great and produced a great event for us that we'll always remember. I was very happy with them.

Sent on 12/28/2014
  • Kellie

Kellie · Married on 04/16/2011

We had our reception in the Childrens Cottage. At first we thought the split level would be an issue with our guests but everyone loved it. The staff was amazing - they helped us with everything including making a special buffet for our reception so that everyone in the family was happy. When time was running out to decorate on the day of our wedding our cordinator stepped in and helped us finish. Plus she gave me a much needed drink when I was having a melt down! =D Their service EXCEEDED my expectations!

Sent on 04/25/2011

Daniel Reynolds · Getting married on 10/09/2020

Grand Lodge

The Grand Lodge was the perfect venue for our September wedding. The grounds are amazingly beautiful and offer many different wedding sites to choose from. Its also a full service hotel and spa, which many of our guests took advantage of. Our sales coordinator Armando worked with us from the beginning to the end, keeping my then fiancé and I updated and informed of any changes. He was professional, knowledgeable and made the whole experience of wedding venue planning less stressful. The catering team did a superb job During our reception at the Children’s Cottage . The appetizers were a hit with our guests and the main entrees were exquisitely delicious. Our wedding day was fantastic. Thank you Armando and Grand Lodge team, you are amazing.

Sent on 01/19/2020

McMenamins Grand Lodge's reply:

Daniel,

We so greatly appreciate your feedback! Armando and I are both ecstatic that your experience with us was memorable. Thank you for trusting us to enhance your love story. Best wishes to you and Amber! We hope to plan a future anniversary celebration with you ;-)

Cheers,
    Sydney McMurry | Sales & Events Manager

We chose to have our wedding in the Children's Cottage and used both the upstairs and downstairs bars. Our event coordinator was Marcy and she was extremely helpful and personable. The entire process was very smooth and simple. This venue was a great value as McMenamins provides everything from the tables, chairs and linens to the catering. The food was amazing and the staff was very professional. Many of guests are still commenting on this being the most fun they have had at a wedding and I attribute much of that to having such a great venue. My only complaint is that we were not notified that McMenamins was throwing a large event that same day (their event was actual scheduled after we had already booked our wedding) and there was not on-site parking available for several of my guests. This would not have been a deal breaker, but we would have liked to know in advance.

Sent on 04/20/2016

Mindy · Married on 09/05/2014

McMenamin's was a pleasure to work with. Reliable, responsive, and very organized. I felt very secure knowing they were back there doing the background stuff so I could enjoy my wedding. Very positive experience. Thank you.

Sent on 10/23/2014

Megan · Married on 11/02/2013

The venue, the team (Nikki!) & the hotel staff, Thank You!!! Everything with the rehearsal, rehearsal dinner at the Iron Works Grill, all 3 rooms, and the suite were fantastic. The ONLY complaint I have is somewhat reasonable. This venue is a moving, live & active place. It is also really old, therefore sleeping is rather impossible. You can hear everything, especially staff moving carts around inside & out at 2am. But otherwise, I'd suggest the suite to anyone, it's a beautiful room to get ready and stay in.

Sent on 11/10/2013

Rebekah · Married on 06/21/2012

Working with Hilary was quite possibly the easiest part of planning our wedding. She worked with the kitchens to make a whole new menu of food to meet our dietary restrictions. With living far enough away that it wasn't easy to see the venue frequently, she did an awesome job of sending maps and schedules and tons of info via email. Any changes or updates I wanted to make were handled super quickly.
    On top of great service, having the wedding ceremony, reception and lodging all in one place couldn't be better in my opinion. It was beautiful, convenient for our guests who mostly came from out-of-town.
    The reception did have to stop earlier than some of my guests wanted and they brought the party back to my hotel room (the big king suite), which did not go over too well, so if you want a late, loud party, this may not be the place for you. I have to say, though, that I really loved coming down from our room to have breakfast with family and guests after the wedding.
    Our rehearsal dinner was in the Ironwork Grill Patio here too.

Sent on 07/30/2012
  • kayayeam

Kimberly · Married on 07/31/2010

The grand lodge was a great place for us to have our ceremony and reception because we had so many out of town guests. Hilary was a huge help in helping us plan where we wanted our ceremony and reception, what kind of food, what vendors they'd had good experiences with, she was great. She also offered up great ideas that helped us stay on budget. They don't charge a location fee as long as you meet a food and beverage minimum, which was reasonable. Great place.

Sent on 09/06/2010

Ryan · Married on 08/24/2013

Hilary was great to work with and helped make our day the best ever! She was very flexible with our needs and communicated with us on every step towards the day. The day of the wedding was great with only a couple minor snafus that were handled in a timely manner.

Sent on 10/25/2013

Gorgeous venue. Had a beautiful October rehearsal dinner and wedding. Flexable with the bad weather planning and were open to the changes I wanted to make. Had lots of leftover food.

Sent on 10/30/2016

Nathan · Married on 08/23/2014

Throughout the course of planning our wedding we regularly were speaking with McMenamins making sure that details were correct and that we weren't forgetting anything. When emailing back and forth with the Grand Lodge at times they were a little slow replying as they had weird weekends and days off and therefore our coordinator would only be working 4 days of the week. Althought there was limited days to communicate with them we still were able to get all of the details worked out without any problems.

On the wedding day everything was perfect with the exception of they didn't set the venue up properly with the correct tables in our dance and cake room. However, after speaking with them we got it all figured out and didn't have a problem other than that. We would definitely pick the Grand Lodge again because the value we got from our venue was amazing. We really liked the concept of their food minimum covering both food and the rental of the venue. Therefore, saving some money where possible by not having to pay for the rental of a venue for our wedding day.

Sent on 09/20/2014

Valerie · Married on 07/05/2014

The only issue was we ordered and paid for 2 buffets, they only set up one, we had Grandma going upstairs to get food (no elevator) when there should have been a buffet both upstairs and downstairs- I spoke to someone in catering and they ended up setting up the second buffett within a few minutes, this was something I did not feel like I needed to deal with on my wedding day but it ended up turning out well.

Sent on 07/22/2014

Meilyn · Married on 06/26/2010

3.0

Very good value for the money!! It's a beautiful place and the staff was very friendly.

Sent on 06/17/2009

Louisa · Married on 06/21/2008

This venue was beautiful place to be married, my family could stay for a reasonable price and there are many things to do (spa, soaking pool, restaurants, pool room/bars, Frisbee golf course). They have a wedding planner and take care of all the details for a very reasonable price. It is a casual environment but also elegant.

Sent on 02/25/2009

Emma · Married on 06/20/2010

4.2
      2.0

I knew I wanted this location for my wedding long before I met my Prince Charming and got a proposal. I loved the look of the lodge. As soon as I was engaged, I booked it! To my surprise, it cost $2,500 for the space. I wasn't expecting to pay quite that much but when I found out that catering was included, I realized what a great deal it was. I picked a buffet style dinner which was great! We were married in the Compass Room which actually looked pretty drab to be honest but still a nice space. We took pictures outside and came back in to the Compass Room for the reception which had been set up in my color scheme by the lodge and looked lovely. All in all, I was happy with my wedding day and the staff at the Lodge were wonderful. My wedding organizer, Hilary, was fab! I would recommend her to anyone!

The only thing I really didn't like about the Lodge was the mandatory 18% gratuity on top of the $2,500 I'd already paid. I would have gladly paid a gratuity anyway because the staff was so awesome, but I'd rather have done it voluntarily.

Sent on 03/01/2011

very sweet and caring about my date even though they weren't able to help me when it came to timing

Sent on 08/09/2015
  • User2008486 · 2+ years ago

3.5

We selected McMenamins Grand Lodge because we enjoy the McMenamins group of hotels/restaurants as a whole. The Grand Lodge was a good value in comparison to some of the more popular McMenamins in the Portland area.

We, along with our wedding party, and extended family and guests from Wednesday of our wedding week through Sunday. We ate at the IronWork Grill regularly, stayed in a myriad of rooms, and utilized the spa & soaking pool.

The planning of the wedding reception & other events went very smoothly.

Our major issues were actually on the Saturday of the wedding. The main planner from McMenamins that we had been working with worked with another wedding that was held onsite that day. The little details that she knew about it were lost with this new catering & banquet crew. The biggest snafus were (1) they cut the wedding cake slices too big and we ran out of cake. They quickly subbed with chocolate brownies, but not all guests received them. The next day, they tried to charge us for these desserts, even though they told us during the reception that they screwed up & therefore would pay for them. They ultimately corrected this mistake and we were not charged for the chocolate brownies. (2) A case of champagne was unaccounted for. We're not super worried about this, because we brought in Trader Joe's champagne at a whopping $5 per bottle + $10 corkage fee. A $60 loss for us, but whatever. Not a big deal.

The food was great. Sometimes when you eat at a McMenamins, it's average. But all of our wedding food was great. We did order too much food for the cocktail hour, but it was nicely packaged for us to take with/give away the next day.

Overall, a great experience. No, it wasn't a 5 star resort, but we didn't pay 5 star resort prices either. We're very pleased with the result.

Sent on 12/08/2012

Tiffany · Married on 05/30/2010

3.0

I had a wonderful time having my wedding at the Grand Lodge. Many of our bridal party, family and guests stayed out there the weekend of the wedding and we had a great time. Prices were very reasonable but sometimes you got what you paid for.
    The event coordinator I worked with there was very helpful and responsive to my needs. They are not flexible in that you cannot bring in your own caterer or alcohol unless you pay a corking fee for the wine.
    Occasionally it was difficult to get information regarding certain details of the event and a few of the staff were very rude to my guests. All in all, I highly recommend this very northwest venue!

Sent on 07/07/2010

Toby · Married on 08/09/2014

3.8
      3.5

We are so glad we had our wedding at the Grand Lodge. It was an excellent value and a beautiful location. (We had ours at the Catchings Grove/Ironwork Patio site.) We appreciated that the Grand Lodge has hosted many weddings and helps you along with the process. We only had a couple complaints: 1. The coordinator switched after we reserved the spot and the new one was slow in getting back to us and still learning about the job. 2. Some guests could not find parking-- we were told that overflow parking would be available if needed but they didn't follow through with this so some guests had to park (probably illegally) in nearby parking lots.
    Overall though, the wedding venue was wonderful. We're very glad we went with McMenamins.

Sent on 09/06/2014

3.5

We loved the all-in-one package that McMenamins Grand Lodge offered - on-site catering, rentals, set-up, bar service, etc. One thing to keep in mind if one is booking at any McMens site during the busy summer months is that there may be other weddings going on, so just plan ahead, especially if your venue is located outside, that there may be other music, etc. going on at the same time. Overall, very satisfied - we'll probably be back so that we can celebrate our 1-year anniversary there next year! =)

Sent on 10/02/2013

Libby and Dan · Married on 10/22/2011

2.5

We love the Grand Lodge and were really excited to get married there. The event planning staff was really great and helpful, particularly when things were going well. We had a couple of issues come up (mainly around food and contractual concerns) and, though they were very nice, their flexibility and willingness to work with us to problem-solve was a bit disappointing. They have a great system that I imagine runs very smoothly most of the time, but I think that because they do so many events, they may lose some of the flexibility and ability (and willingness) to work with us that smaller venues or smaller catering companies may have. Overall, I would absolutely recommend them, but would also offer a small caution to be aware that there may be some challenges related to being a bigger system with a lot of business.

Sent on 12/20/2011

Bradford · Married on 08/02/2014

3.5

McMenamins is a great spot for a wedding. FYI though, if you do it outdoors, you will have to pay for chairs, tables, tents, etc. Dishes and silverware are included with your food, but we found out during the reception that we didn't order cake dishes (we were never asked and didn't know we had to). You can bring your own wine/champagne at $10 corkage fee/bottle. We were able to store ours at Pat's Corner bar next to our reception. It's way better than paying $26/bottle for their own wine. You do have to be out of the event space by 10 pm and music has to be turned down by 9. Also, the bar can only be open for 5 hours for a private event. So the best timeline is to do a 3 pm start for your ceremony which lasts for 20-30 minutes. The bar can then be open for your guests at 3:30 ish and run til 8:30-9 for when the music has to be turned down. At that time though, people are ready to go home or inside to the hotel bar, which gives you time to clean up outside by 10.

The service is good, but don't hesitate to ask if things are missing or wrong. They didn't finish putting together our dance floor, they forgot our wedding arch, the lawn games didn't come til we asked, and they brought our end of party snack of cajun tots an hour and a half late once the party was over. Don't get me wrong, we had a good time and everything turned out ok. Our caterers never complained and helped us with everything, but it would have been nice for it to go flawless considering we were always responsive to questions and very detailed during the planning stages.

Sent on 09/03/2014