McMenamins Edgefield Reviews

115 | Troutdale, OR

115 Reviews for McMenamins Edgefield

3.8
      3.5

First, the actual day of the wedding went very smoothly. We had our ceremony outside and the reception inside. And everything went as planned! The food was good and plentiful, our instructions for the set-up of the reception room were followed and it all went well. Just be warned, if you want to decorate, you have to put it all up and take it all down yourself.
    Second, the venue is great. Our guests stayed for 2 nights - and there are lots of bars and things to do. It really is a playground for adults.
    The only problems: the wedding coordinator was not that responsive when we were organizing the wedding. She took a long time to reply to emails and would miss answering some of our questions when she did reply. She rarely answered her phone, and did not always return calls. Also, McMenamins is fairly inflexible - for example, we had 1 table and chair at the ceremony for signing of the marriage documents, and we were charged $3 for the chair! We were also charged additional money for the few vegetarians that we had.
    However, if you are fairly relaxed about your wedding and you want a good party, we recommend this venue. We had a great time! Just be prepared that it may be difficult to communicate when you want to with the wedding coordinator!

Sent on 06/13/2013
  • I

Liz · Married on 10/04/2009

3.8
      3.0

Everything was wonderful! Book early for the date and time you want, that was our only issue. It was great to have an all inclusive place for everyone to enjoy :)

Sent on 10/20/2009

Liz · Married on 10/24/2014

1.5

Letting us know before that we get leftovers would have been helpful.
    The Attic is perfect for a band or DJ because the stair way walls help hold the music on the dance floor to allow for us to talk at the tables.
    Response time to fix light bulbs, toilet paper etc in the power station bathrooms was very slow or didn't happen after multiple requests.
    Not being able to even pay for a food tasting was very nerve racking.
    At one point it was suggested that we eat the rehearsal dinner on our laps in the ceremony seating. This should never be even suggested for a meal that costs $1000.

Sent on 11/24/2014

Becky · Married on 08/15/2010

3.0

Colleen is awesome! Just wish she was working the day of our wedding, which could have avoided some hiccups we had, such as asking for an extension or and only recieving a 3 ft one and told that is all they had. :-( Really?

Overall the hotel and staff are friendly for the most part, all places had a few sour apples and I felt we had them as our servers and bartender.

Would I come back! Of course, gorgeous venue, and it has a special place in my heart since I meet my husband at a wedding there.

Sent on 08/31/2010

Tova · Married on 03/20/2010

3.5

we were overal happy with edgefield for our ceremony as well as hotel block. we would have liked to have a vegan cookie option, but we heard good reviews from the non vegans on the food. the space was set up as we requested and the grounds made for great photos!

Sent on 04/07/2010

Sara · Married on 07/07/2007

3.0

Jaclyn was helpful and fairly easy to contact, once I made it clear to her that if I asked a question via email that I wanted an email response back and not a succession of voice messages.

Their set-up staff isn't real enthusiastic. You have to ask and ask again to get what you need (ladder, easel, etc) even if it was part of your contract. For the ceremony, the chairs were set up early and that was about all we needed. The sun was right in my eyes but the guests seemed comfortable. There was also a motorcycle revving up right behind us during our vows but a friend ran over and shooed it away.

My friends and relatives pulled together and made the reception space look great. We brought some of our own wine ($10 corkage per bottle)and recommend doing that. Our guests drank a lot and it seems that everyone had an awesome time.

Our main bartender, Joel, was really helpful and attentive during the reception. Another let down was that we had a lot of leftover food which they said in advance would be packed up for us and stored over night, but it disappeared. We spent an hour the next morning waiting for the front desk, caterers, etc to track it down. No luck. I was really looking forward to those leftovers since we had to go right back to work Monday.

Sent on 07/29/2008

2.0

Larissa was our event coordinator and she was really great to work with. We had to make small adjustments to our plan and she was great and flexible and positive, which was perfect for reducing stress in the planning process. We had originally planned to only book the Barley Room, but Larissa offered us use of the 2nd floor's East Porch for our private event.

When we arrived to decorate before the wedding, we checked in with the front desk to be sure the room was ready for us to enter. As we were headed to the Barley Room, we saw our names listed on the day's events: "Jessica and Orione's Wedding 5:45 East Porch" which was incorrect. The wedding was to begin at 4:30. The reception was to begin at 5:45 in the Barley Room. We mentioned this to the front desk and they looked to our contract and confirmed that 4:30 was what we had booked and assured us the private event sign would be in place as promised, prior to the event. We continued on to decorate.

The room was set up incorrectly and we were shorted one regular chair and a high chair. We had to flag someone down to get them to bring in an additional table and chairs as well as linens to have enough seats for our already confirmed guests.

Shortly before 4:30, my father noticed that the private event still had not been put up, so he went and asked for one again. The ceremony began, my father walked me down the hall to the porch and as we stepped out, I noticed that several of our guests were not there, including my mother, her boyfriend, and my little brother. Our officiant asked if we wanted to wait for them, but we had no way of knowing what had happened, so we continued with the ceremony. A few minutes into it, some of our friends showed up. My mother was told first floor at 5:45 by the front desk and never made it.

The front desk had been sending people to the public 1st floor East Porch, not what we had reserved, which had a negative impact on our guests' experience for our big day.

Sent on 04/05/2016

2.0

Our coordinator has been changed during the preparation. Little flexibility in decorations and catering menu. Great value, you pay a food and drink minimum instead of venue rental fee. Lots to do in the area, great location.

Sent on 07/17/2014

Jessica · Married on 06/01/2007

3.4
      2.5

Food was great and day-of service was great too! I had a little trouble working with my event coordinator in that she would not do things she said she would do, BUT she is not there anymore, and everyone else was great!

Sent on 09/28/2008

alysia · Married on 12/30/2006

3.4
      2.5

It is one of the few places in town that just charge a food and beverage minimum. If you meet the F&B min, there is not a room charge. If you don't meet it, then you are charged the difference. So either way, you are spending a pre-determined about of money. The food at any McMenamin's place is always the same, mediocre. They offered wine to our guests, when we only requested that beer and hard alcohol were covered by our tab. They were responsive, when I needed several surge protectors and extension cords and did not charge us for the use of the items.

The professionalism rating should be split. Prior to the event, they were responsive and took care of everything (5 out of 5 stars). However, before the event even ended (about an hour before we were supposed to end/start cleaning up, the clean up crew was breaking down tables, and loading up chairs. We still have over half our guests at the reception (0 out of 5 stars). So overall, I would give them a 2.5 on professionalism. The event planner, Kara (Cara?) was great, but why didn't she work the event? She doesn't work on weekends therefore passes the responsibility to another person. Someone who was not working with us through the 9 months. That is not typical in event planning.

Sent on 01/30/2009

Judy · Married on 05/25/2015

3.2
      3.0

My husband and I had previously stayed at this venue prior to booking for our wedding. We loved the atmosphere and overall property. The food and venue was amazing and well worth the price. We had our ceremony outside the Administrator House and reception in The Attic. Only drawback to this venue was the communication and flexibility the day of. At times it was very hard to get ahold of my coordinator. There was 3 weddings total the day of, we saw our coordinator very little and they were not there when needed. Great venue, just be prepared to be highly organized on your own!

Sent on 08/15/2016

Rochelle · Married on 06/13/2009

2.6
      2.0

I actually had my wedding and reception at the Kennedy School Mcmenamins.

Our planner before the event was fantastic as well as the catering manager during the event. Both we EXTREMLY helpful and nice.

However, after the event I had to beg to find someone to help me settle my bill. And when they did charge my card, they charged me double for the hotel rooms. It took several weeks to get our billing straigtened out. We loved our wedding, but I would suggest keeping VERY clear records of what was paid and billed.

Sent on 09/25/2009

jessica · Married on 09/26/2011

1.8
      2.0

Edgefield was a beautiful place to get married, but the staff at the reception was less than helpful, and did not aid in the flow of the celebration at all. We were not helped in the announcement of the cake cutting or the toast, and all of the champagne was poured and left out without anyone being notified.

Sent on 06/07/2012

Rachel · Married on 08/14/2011

1.2
      0.5

We had our wedding at Blackberry Hall. It was beautiful and we were happy with how things turned out when the day was done. Unfortunately getting to the end game proved to be a tedious and painful process that left us scratching our heads multiple times.

Our coordinater changed three times in the course of one year. I would include a name in this review but given the turnover in that position it wouldn't be at all productive - it was the one warning from our friends which turned out to be 100% accurate. Each time, we had to reexplain everything as notes were either not taken or not passed from one person to the next. We scheduled multiple meetings leading up to our wedding to go through the timeline, menu and general planning phases for our special day. When we came in to go over the menu, our Coordinator did not provide our parents with any up to date information (we had outdated menus and pricing that were given to us when we first reserved the venue). Also the packet from before was ok for two people but one packet for five people is not enough. In addition, it was a complex process getting answers to simple questions, like pricing of specific items (drinks or seating/tables for the outside) . Finally the week before as we were STILL settling details like orientation of the ceremony seating and pricing for all of the items on our menu.

My husband to be was aware of these issues and arrived three and a half hours before the ceremony just in case things needed to be taken care of. Unfortunately it was even worse than anticipated. The ceremony seats were stacked up as no one knew where they were supposed to be placed. In addition, we had reserved the ballroom in case it rained and planned on using it for signing the marriage license if the weather was nice. Somehow NO ONE had any idea that we had reserved the space and he was running around trying to figure out what was going on so that we could use the space. It didn't help that the Ballroom was already setup for an event that evening so the layout wasn't ideal for signing documents with a few people in what should have been a nice moment for us and our families. My poor husband ran around so much between setting things up and taking pictures that blisters were popping on his feet BEFORE the ceremony even started :(

In addition, Edgefield was to provide the table numbers and reserve seating in the front row of the ceremony...both were missed. Finally, we had specifically written in our contract for there to be NO tip jar since we were already paying for that...so the bar tenders just put out 3 dollars to try to ask for a tip until I told them to get rid of it.

Once things started moving it was still a struggle to get things working correctly. We provided a pretty specific and detailed timeline of our event for our coordinator and the person in charge of running the catering for that day/event. Too bad our DJ asked people to sit down as salads would be served in a couple of minuted and 10 minutes later we were asked if it was alright to serve the salad. For some reason despite having a plated meal the cake was served buffet style...we couldn't figure out why that happened since we didn't want people lining up for food. We also ordered ice cream (which was delicious), however the empty freezer for it was placed on the dance floor without us realizing it so when it was time for the first dance we had to move it out of the way so we could utilize the entire space.

Overall the food was good for the money and the venue was pretty with the new grass outside...but you get the service you pay for. If I had to do it again, I would have picked a place that was easier to deal with and less stressful. We really didn't expect the fundamental issues throughout the process and the day of that we experienced which is unfortunate because it added more stress to a day that has plenty of it. If you have a wedding planner/coordinator this would probably be a great place since you won't feel any of this pain but if you're doing it yourself it could very well be more of a headache than you're willing to endure.

Sent on 09/08/2011

Christina · Married on 09/03/2010

0.6
      0.5

We originally picked Edgefield as our venue for several reasons: location, ease of planning, good food, the ability to pay for guest rooms and a beautiful intimate outdoor space. By the end of it all, the place had only its location going for it.

The ease of planning, which I expected receive because they have a team of coordinators, did not exist. Every time I called to make an appointment I was either discouraged for meeting them in person (as if they didn't have time for me), or told me to wait until closer to our wedding day. This is not okay. Despite my desire to discuss menus, rentals and table layouts three months in advance (I'm a very organized person), I found myself scrambling for everything I needed starting two weeks prior. Worst of all, the staff, who previously did not have time for me, starting pressuring me to make decisions and do everything as quickly as possible - but I still had to call and email several times before I could have questions answered.

I booked my beautiful space a full year out. It was supposed to be grass. We really wanted to be married on a grassy lawn and ruled out several other venues because they didn't have what we wanted available. Edgefield, however, decided to brick over the space during the winter. THEY HAD KNOWN this was going to happen when we toured and booked the area and DID NOT say a word. In fact, they continued their silence until I went out there one day to meet with the coordinator and stepped onto brick. I could see the beauty of it and why they decided to make the change, but I was shocked. And upset. And they didn't care at all.

Oh, the band. They booked an 80's rock band for the same night of our wedding. By the time they told us, our invitations were already printed. They offered to move us inside, but one location was not handicap accessible for the grandparents and in the other we could not dance. Already upset with everything else going wrong, I decided to make the best of it. Sure there would be noise from the sound-check, but the concert wouldn't be starting until after the ceremony was over, right? And we were across the campus, so it wouldn't ruin everything, would it? And if there was a problem, they'd help figure out a solution? Wrong. The bass from the sound-check was so loud we had difficulty hearing each other talk. We called our coordinator, who didn't have any sympathy. She said she had "asked" them them to turn it down and the band said no. It had to be a complete lie. She didn't care - She was also in charge of the concert. I knew that the concert brought in more money for Edgefield than our little wedding and they didn't give us any priority. We finally ended up pushing the ceremony and dinner back a full hour into the guaranteed quiet hour (which lasted exactly an hour) and encouraged our guests to enjoy the open bar.

We rented the house at Edgefield and paid for it, in full, a month in advance. We wanted our friends to have a nice place to stay, an ease of mind while planning travel arrangements and a complete lack of knowledge about the cost of the rooms. However, they would not check all of the room keys out to us, so each of our friends were hassled for a credit card upon check-in, despite our attempts to have them hold our information on file. Finally, two days later, when we checked out, some of our guests got receipts, with a breakdown of room prices - information we didn't want them to know. It completely ruined the experience (and gift) for our best friends.

I was also disappointed to learn that they would not do any plated dinners outside. Having a buffet was a huge compromise for me and one that I made early on. Now I wish I hadn't given in and gotten what I had wanted elsewhere.

I would never recommend this venue. They failed even my lowest expectations.

Sent on 09/08/2010

McMenamins Edgefield's reply:

Hi Christina –

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations on the date of your wedding. I’d like to take a moment and address a few of your points.

In speaking with your coordinator, I understand that while you met a few times, you were unable to make an appointment on the date you requested as she was out of town when you wished to come out. I apologize for this inconvenience. We make every attempt to meet with our clients upon their request and at a time that fits into their schedule, and we have talked more about the importance of this since reading your review. I know planning a wedding can be a stressful time, and I apologize for any additional stress this may have caused you.

Regarding the new patio in the Administrator’s House yard, we did not know this would be going in when it did. It’s true, the events office had been asking for this improvement for some time as the grass begins to show a great deal of wear by the end of the wedding season and we felt having a solid patio for our brides and their guests would be much better. However, we did not know it had been approved or when it would be installed. We did take photos as soon as the patio was finished and we emailed them out to all brides who had booked the space, however I understand you came out to see the space before the patio was finished and the photos were taken. I apologize for the surprise and can certainly understand how this would be upsetting.

We have been holding large concerts at Edgefield for the past five years and this is written into all of our wedding contracts. While we don’t know what dates will actually book out until much closer in than the average wedding books, we do notify all private events at Edgefield as soon as we are told a show has been booked. This is why we have a guaranteed quiet time between 5:00pm and 6:00pm that is also written into all wedding contracts. We made this arrangement with the promoters so we can accommodate ceremonies on the same dates as shows. I apologize the bass from the sound check impacted your event adversely, and I can attest your coordinator did come into the venue and speak to show management (who controls the concerts including sound checks) at the sound board.

The Administrator’s House rooms are considered hotel rooms on the property. This is why the individuals in each room must check in and provide their own I.D. In case of emergency we have to know who is in the hotel on any given night. I am so sorry your guests received a breakdown of room prices, and we are currently working on a better system to insure this does not happen again.

By addressing these points I am in no way trying to make excuses or to make light of your concerns in any way. The bottom line is they added up to you having a far less than perfect day for your wedding and for that I am truly sorry. Again I thank you for taking the time to write the review. We have discussed your points and we will make improvements where we can.

Sincerely,