McMenamins Edgefield Reviews

115 | Troutdale, OR

115 Reviews for McMenamins Edgefield

• Francom+Knapp

Andrea · Married on 04/19/2009

My husband and I loved having our wedding and reception at Edgefield. Since our first date was at a McMenamins, it only made sense to have our wedding at one too! Tiffany and the other event staff were great! We couldn't have asked for better, even the weather cooperated.

I highly recommend anyone looking for a place to hold their wedding, consider McMenamins. Having our ceremony and reception at Edgefield saved us a lot of stress. The in-house catering, set up, and tear-down made it fantastically easy to enjoy our day without stressing out!

Sent on 05/07/2009
  • Mackenzie

Mackenzie N Vandentop · Married on 08/03/2019

Great venue

I’m so glad I had my wedding at Edgefield. BlackBerry meadow was a beautiful place to get married and having it so close to the hall was so convenient. The hotel was tricky- my guests couldn’t stay there because I wasn’t told it books up a year in advance so I didn’t make reservations in time. There aren’t bathrooms in a lot of the rooms though so I don’t think the older people would’ve done well staying there anyway. The food was outstanding! Everyone commented on how delicious it was. They say you get a wedding coordinator but it’s more of a contact person and they aren’t there on your wedding day- still helpful though.

Sent on 08/06/2019

Mishka · Married on 11/10/2018

Beautiful All-in-one

We love McMenamins and fell in love with The Attic the first time we toured the venue. I loved having everything provided by one vendor: cake, food, tables, linens, and drinks. They were great to work with leading up to the event when deciding details. Day of there was a microphone issue which resulted in us not having one. Also, I was expecting a little more communication from them checking in, but that may have been difficult as we did not have a wedding planner initiating those conversations. The food was good, but refill on the buffet was a little slow. Overall, we had a great experience and I wouldn’t have switched to another place even with the few ‘hiccups’. Please keep a few things in mind when considering this venue; there is no elevator for guests with mobility issues, the shape of the venue for a ceremony is a little awkward when walking down the ‘aisle’, and even in November it will get hot in that space if you have enough people.

Sent on 12/15/2018

Kyle · Married on 10/15/2016

McMenamins is a great location for anyone looking to have a small to medium sized wedding. Our wedding was about 35 people and we were able to comfortably seat and hang out in the room. It was also very versatile as we used our room for both the ceremony and the reception. The food was great, they were able to accommodate various food allergies even the the point of making our wedding cake completely gluten free. As someone with Celiac disease, it was a special treat to be able to eat one of the most delicious cakes I've ever had on my wedding day.

This place is great. It's very affordable, high quality and a lot of fun.

Sent on 11/03/2016

Annie · Married on 05/30/2015

We had a beautiful wedding for 140 people in the Meadow with a reception in Blackberry Hall. The weekend was spectacular and we took full advantage of the spa onsite for hair/makeup, the Ballroom for a casual rehearsal dinner and welcome party for all guests and the golf course for pitch and putt the morning of the wedding. The hotel is small so our late partying guests and some family members stayed here - most guests who were older or had children stayed down the road at the Best Western. The service and food was excellent all weekend long and our local and out-of-town guests had a blast on the grounds. This place is perfect for a laid back wedding weekend.

Sent on 04/12/2016

3.0

This is a wonderful establishment and we had a great wedding venue. Everything is beautiful and quirky and well kept. Everyone we worked with was very helpful and understanding. Definitely would recommend!

Sent on 08/04/2014
  • blairandheather

Heather · Married on 02/20/2010

3.0

McMenamins is the way to go! You save so much money with any of their venues because each one has a minimum food and beverage price. Once you reach this amount, the cost of the actual venue is waived. Bar service, all staff, linens, tables, chairs, dishes and silverware are all included as well. Plus, you have an amazing "resort style" location where friends and family can stay the entire weekend. Our wedding wasn't just a ceremony and reception, but an entire weekend we spent with loved ones. Ruby's Spa and soaking pool was incredible, too!

Sent on 02/21/2010

Erica · Married on 07/19/2009

3.5

The food is AMAZING! My guests are still talking about how great the food and drink was. My ceremony was in the Meadow and our reception was in the Blackberry Hall. Everything was set up perfectly and was more beautiful then I could ever imagine. All of my guests said that it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been too. I also had my and all my bridesmaids hair and makeup done at Rubys Spa which also did a great job. Really have no complaints, but it is expensive... but worth the cost!

Sent on 08/11/2009

Sarah · Married on 06/07/2008

3.5

Beautiful location, great food, good beer. Jaclyn was really helpful & responsive; we had a fantastic time.

Sent on 08/01/2008

Rachael · Married on 02/16/2008

3.5

We rented the attic space and it was beautiful. The coordinator was exceptionally helpful and never seemed annoyed with my constant emails and questions. The food was AMAZING. One of the servers noticed I wasn't eating one of the salads, (I was pregnant and avoiding soft cheese) so she made me a special salad. The spa was great, but not included in the package price. I'd definitely recommend a trial run with hair and makeup first. I loved everything!

Sent on 11/16/2008

Stephanie · Married on 08/04/2017

3.0

Overall, Edgefield was an A+ place for our wedding. The Administrator's House & Courtyard were lovely. The staff did a great job with set up & service, and the food and cake were lovely. The food is still praised in casual conversation when the wedding comes up. Cynthia, our sales coordinator, was wonderful & responsive. There were only 3 downsides...1. We had to shut down and clean at 10. This was expected, but it came earlier than expected. 2. There wasn't much to be done about the heat either outside or in the Administrator's House. I was really worried about my 75y/o mother in the heat. 3. There were some miscommunication about leftover storage...I was told everything would be kept in the bakery's walk-in, but we had to stuff everything in the little fridge in the house. I did prep my poc, but she had forgotten about this detail. She ended up throwing a lot away, which was a missed opportunity. Regardless, my wedding was beautiful, the food was great, the alcohol on point, and that is due solely to the work done by the McMenamin's staff.

Sent on 12/04/2017

3.5

Overall, very happy with McMenamins Edgefield for our early summer outdoor wedding and Attic Room reception.

This location is one our favorite McMenamins hotels -- expansive, green, self contained, lots to do and see even though its removed from the hustle of Portland. Tons of funky, eclectic art, more bars than any sober person can enjoy, movie theater, spa, brewery, winery, free evening entertainment...this facility has it all. Oh, and did we mention the INCREDIBLE gardens? This place is an adult Disneyland. Yep, this was the ticket for our outdoor semi-casual second wedding. Wedding party included bride and groom, teenage kids and families with teenagers.

Use of the facilities is free with a catering minimum. The cost of catering was average to high, depending on selection, but overall the value was very good. We had many wonderful compliments about the food and service. We chose to bring in our own wine and paid a corkage fee.

The only complaints we heard from our guests -- the room selected didn't have an elevator so navigating the stairs was challenging for our older guests. We set up a "Happy Hour" for hosted bar which didn't work out so well because we didn't meet our bar minimum due to the ceremony running late. (Believe me, people were happy to drink on our dime if the bartender didn't stick to the schedule ;-)) If you're opting for a hosted bar, don't time-box the contract (opt for # of drinks or dollar limit.) And the last "negative" (barely) was the heavy brown drapes in the room -- it would have been nice to swap them out for something lighter and more seasonal.

Overall, very happy with the experience. Mandy, our coordinator did an excellent job keeping us informed, always called the bride back within 24 hours for questions and was very attentive. Day of the event, an onsite event manager was in the reception room, tending to our needs right up to the time we shut it down.

Sent on 07/10/2015

Genevieve · Married on 12/16/2011

3.5

Edgefield is beautiful and a wonderful place to have your wedding, like a village all on it's own. We chose to have our wedding in the Attic, because of the cozy feeling you got when you walked in and thought the stairs (no elevator) and the bathrooms (3 flights down) were worth it, and it really was. It took very little to decorate it since the space was so beautiful. The people who catered the event were fantastic. We thought that having only one bar would be an issue, but the bartender kept everything moving smoothly, the caterers were friendly, and always right there when you needed them. Our events coordinator always got back to us quickly. Our only problems we had all night were an abundance of dirty glasses, and tables collapsing due to not being locked into place..and having to redecorate them after they did collapse..thankfully before guests arrived. But those things seem pretty small in the whole picture of the day. We are happy with the venue and grateful to have somewhere so beautiful to get married in when options are limited in the winter months.

Sent on 12/24/2011

Kalen · Married on 01/02/2011

We had our reception in Blackberry hall, and it was absolutely beautiful! The staff was very helpful in the entire process of planning our wedding. They gave us our hotel room for free the night after the wedding, which was a surprise to us when we went to check out! The only issue is that the staff didn't set up enough tables - there was one missing. So, all the guests that had table "number 18" didn't have a place to go and had to track down a staff member to get an additional table set up.

Sent on 02/13/2011

4.2

We recently had our wedding at Edgefield. We did the ceremony outside at the administrators house then a cocktail hour. The reception was in the attic. It was a wonderful venue and all our of guests thought it was amazing. We worked with two coordinators, both extremely helpful and responsive to all our questions throughout the process. The day off everything went extremely well in regards to the ceremony and reception. The cocktail hour was my only complaint. They only had one person serving the bar and were making mojitos from scratch, which meant it took almost the whole hour for some guests to get even one drink. Also didn’t have anyone watching the food and so when it ran low we had to find someone to ask if there was more and to restock it, which then didn’t happen until almost the end of the cocktail hr and I felt like a lot of the food was wasted.

All the food was amazing!

The administrator house that you had to rent along with the yard worked out really well. We put most of our wedding party in there and some close friends. It was also a perfect space for bride and bridesmaids to get ready with plenty of room for hair and makeup and then getting ready pictures. The groom and groomsmen got ready in the hotel

Sent on 08/14/2014

Kyle · Married on 07/18/2008

3.0

Our ceremony and reception took place in the Amphitheater, which is an outside venue close to the hotel. We were impressed with how knowledgeable the event planner was and how helpful she was in answering any of my questions since I was planning the wedding myself. The food was great, we got tons of compliments on the food and the wait staff. The waitstaff even complimented us on how great our wedding was and how nice all the guests were! Our only complaints were that for the bar you could actually get cheaper and larger drinks by walking inside the hotel and to any of the many bars they have open. The second was that the hotel itself was very noisy and even on the third floor (the honeymoon suite) my husband and I were awoken numerous times to the people next door or a loud shouting match in the front of the hotel. Great place to hold a wedding, but not to stay (which is a requirement of booking with them). Also, they are filled up at least a year in advance for all 4 - 5 of their wedding spaces.

Sent on 11/17/2008

Jessica · Married on 08/08/2013

3.5

Edgefield is a great venue for any event and I felt as though our wedding was extremely beautiful. It was a bit of a disappointment that halfway through our planning the staff of our coordinator changed. Our second coordinator was not extremely clear on prices and gratuities, leaving us with a much larger bill at the end of the night than expected. Service the day of was spectacular, flawless.

Sent on 09/28/2013
  • Jackie

Jackie · Married on 06/20/2009

4.2

McMenamins Edgefield is BEAUTIFUL, no question about that. The grounds were perfect for our somewhat "destination" wedding. Ryan have only lived in Oregon for abuot 2 years, so when we decided to get married here, we knew the majority of our quests would be out of towners. We couldn't have picked a better location for our needs. The Edgefield is such an entertaining spot that it keeps your guests busy for a long weekend, or even just the day. The sprawling grounds, winery, distilery, brewery, movie theaters, spa, golf course, pool and many many other amenities left us us worry-free that our guests wouldn't need to have the hands held all weekend. We were able to relax and not worry too much about playing host, while we wrapped up the final details just days before the wedding.

The reviews from our guests were also high. They were so happy the venue. It was like one stop shopping.

Staff was very friendly, our coordinator wasn't "hands-off" but there was not very much hand-holding during our planing process. If you are looking for someone to talk to each week and plan details, you should think about getting a wedding planner. The Edgefield provides space and food, but thats about it. You will have to use outside vendors for all other services. Overall we were very pleased with the experience, but we were also going for a low-key themed wedding.

Sent on 07/15/2009

K · Married on 08/21/2016

3.5

The best part about our Edgefield wedding was how EASY it was. I communicated with one contact - Cynthia - the entire time, and she guided us through everything from setup, to the schedule, to payment, to even the cake tasting. Having just one vendor and contact for almost everything made the entire process easy and laid back. She even scheduled a tour for us of the event space the morning before another wedding, drew us setup maps, and was always quick with communication.

Also, Edgefield has such a large property that makes for amazing photo opportunities. Plus, if guests need a breather or want to party-on after the wedding, there are numerous bars and outdoor areas to go to.

Sent on 10/18/2016
  • Elaina

Elaina · Married on 08/03/2013

3.5

Picking Edgefield for our wedding was one of the best planning decisions we made. Our family and guests raved about how wonderful the property was, and that they had just the best time hanging out during and throughout our wedding weekend. We booked Edgefield 16 months before our wedding, so the menu changed a few times which was a little nerve-racking for a planning nut like me. We also went through a change in contact (which is pretty rare for them I believe) which added to some confusion throughout the process. Mandy, our final planner, was very patient and helpful in answering all my questions and helping us plan every little detail. All of the staff were very helpful throughout the event, they even made a plate of food up for us at the end of the night since we were starving! Despite a few hiccups, all in all we had a great experience at Edgefield for our wedding.

Sent on 08/11/2013

abigail · Married on 07/27/2010

3.0

To have your wedding at Edgefield McMenamins you NEED to book at least 1 year in advance. We booked in april for August of the next year and rooms were already full. Married this summer at Blackberry meadow with reception in Blackberry Hall. Very beautiful, exactly what I wanted plus more. It was really nice to not have to set up chairs on my wedding day, worry about boys setting up the tent or even placing tablecloths on the table. Definitely worth not having to add that stress to you or friend and family.

With McMenamins you do have to use their beer and wine, which is okay because it is delicious. However, they won't sell it to you by the case or keg, which makes it more expensive in the long run. At the wedding they kept carding guests again and again. Guests did leave items on the table and one got her purse stolen. Would have been nice to have a different system for carding, to avoid this. Hard to make a "private" event on a friday evening without a few wedding crashers.

The food was great and affordable of plated meals. Lots to eat!

Overall, I was thrilled with McMenamins and felt my wedding was unique. Only negative, no flexibility.

Sent on 11/08/2010

Kristin · Married on 07/14/2009

3.5

We had our wedding on a Tuesday in the summer, which worked for us since so many guests are in the education system and have summers off. The food and beverage minimum was cheaper that way, and we were able to book it closer to the date.

We felt like Jaclyn really took care of a lot of details we wouldn't have thought of, since we haven't been to very many weddings. We obviously did a lot of work ourselves, but as far as scheduling and timing and asking all the right questions, she was efficient and easy to work with.

They are not at all flexible about the rules of no outside noise after 10pm, and only serving alcohol for 5 hours. (i think they added on an extra 15 minutes).

There were things we requested that weren't done, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
    It works GREAT to have guests stay there and play with everything Edgefield has to offer. Our guests LOVED IT. Especially the soaking pool.

The Blackberry meadow is absolutely gorgeous and has tons of flowers in the summer, which we didn't realize would happen since we checked it out and booked it in the early spring.

I would totally recommend it!

Sent on 08/12/2009
  • Emily

Emily Hordes · Getting married on 10/03/2020

1.0

flexible, friendly and great communication

The venue is perfect and the coordinator is amazing! Unfortunately, I'm not getting married anymore and my contract will not allow me to be reimbursed. Contact me to buy my August 2021 venue.

Sent on 03/09/2020
  • Jessica

Jessica Wilker · Married on 06/08/2019

Tyson was Great!

When we first started out with this venue we were dealing with Tyson as our "day of coordinator" and he was awesome! Very responsive, easy going, and fun to work with. Unfortunately some schedule changes made it so that we were supposed to have someone else be there on the day of our wedding to help make sure that things go smoothly (I don't remember ever being given a name). Not a single staff member, family member, or friend could tell me who was in charge that day. I had to rely on my family and friends to help coordinate things on the day of and it was a bit of a mess... The day turned out to be pretty stressful because nobody knew what was going on. Luckily our guests didn't seem to notice and everyone had a good time! I just wish we would have been able to have Tyson for the entire thing- he was really great.

Sent on 07/02/2019

Audrey · Married on 11/03/2012

2.5
      3.5

This was a beautiful place to get married and if I had to do it all over again I would still choose this venue for the atmosphere! We had a few snags the day of the wedding and leading up to it. In order to guarantee you will have a guest room to get ready in, you must book the room the night before and of the event because they cannot guarantee check in until 3 PM. Luckily we were able to check in earlier, but this caused a great deal of stress leading up to the event. We were told that as part of our wedding package we would be given a king suite ( because regular rooms do not have private bathrooms and on your wedding night you want your own), we ended up in a king room with no bathroom. Finally, our "catering manager" for the reception was quite rude. He interrupted our grand entrance to pull me aside to clear up a confusion with the bar. We were hosting our drinks and they were charging our guests. We hosted a brunch event the next morning and the catering manager for that was amazing, polite, and very professional. We did speak with our event planning contact about all of this and she sent us a $100 McMenamins gift card which was very nice. I would still recommend this venue but knowing about the possible issues is always helpful. Make sure you are very clear on your contracts!

Sent on 01/06/2013