MB Photography, LLC Reviews

25 | California, MD

25 Reviews for MB Photography, LLC

Emily · Married on 06/18/2016

I chose MB Photography after being a bridesmaid in a wedding she shot. Melissa does such a good job of making everyone comfortable, knowing what shots will look good, and so so creative! Even when my husband was getting tired of the whole "posing" thing, she eeked out a few creative shots from him that are now his favorite. We are so happy with how well she managed everyone and the types of photographs we have!

Sent on 07/08/2016

Melissa is truly a great photographer! She is also extremely friendly and courteous. She meet with us at our convenience several times prior to our May 7th event. Melissa has a tremendously gifted skill set to capture our event through her lens. She has the "eye" for making our pictures look like they belong in a magazine! Simply review some of her samples and you'll see a glimpse of her top notch craft. Melissa is the BEST!

Sent on 06/02/2016

Jennifer · Married on 01/06/2016

Melissa took engagement photos for my fiancé Jack and I. At first, we were nervous we wouldn't know how to act or what to do but Melissa helped us every step of the way and not only made the entire time comfortable but fun! The photos turned out amazing. Melissa's eye is one of a kind, she really captures you and your loved one(s) as well as the setting, both beautifully. We love looking at our photos!!

Sent on 06/09/2015
  • Kelly

Kelly · Married on 10/11/2014

Melissa and her assistant were absolutely amazing! They captured all of our special moments! We love their quality of work. Highly recommend them!

Sent on 11/30/2014

Shannon · Married on 09/27/2014

When we first began our wedding journey, I knew there were a few things that had to be perfect: the food, the flowers, and most importantly the pictures. I spent countless hours researching photographers all over Maryland and DC. I knew I wanted the pictures to have a certain “vintage look”. I couldn’t really describe exactly what I wanted, but once I saw Melissa’s photos I knew she was the one. Her pictures had the vintage look I was going for, but also had a certain “feel” to them. When I looked at her pictures I could almost “feel” what was happening. I could feel the anticipation before the groom saw his bride, the excitement of the first look, the love as the couple said their vows. Her pictures evoke emotion, and that is one of the main reasons I chose Melissa.

Melissa was great the day of the wedding. I didn’t have to worry about showing her around the venue, when I arrived she was ready to shoot which put me at ease. She was really great about picking spots for pictures and getting everyone where they needed to be. There was an issue with my maid of honor’s dress which pushed the schedule back. She never complained, and worked around the problem, shooting other things while we fixed the dress.

We had a semi large wedding party, with the groomsmen being pretty rowdy. She didn’t seem to mind one bit, she even joined in on a few of their jokes. During the reception they started a “spin the bottle” dance circle, and when the bottle landed on her she humored them by busting a move (doing a cute twirl). She stayed with us the entire day/night, and never stopped shooting. We decided to have a second shooter who was equally amazing. They worked so hard to capture every moment of our special day. I have only seen a few sneak peeks of our wedding day pictures, but I know they will be nothing short of perfect. I can’t thank Melissa enough for everything; she really was everything I had hoped for and more.

Sent on 10/21/2014

MB Photography, LLC's reply:

Shannon, thank you so much for such a kind and detailed review! I absolutely loved working with you and Doug throughout your entire engagement and wedding. You are both so well-loved by your friends and family…something I knew when I first met you guys! Congratulations on your beautiful wedding!

Melissa was responsive, helpful, and accommodating. When we first reached out, she provided plenty of package options and was willing to be flexible with our wedding day's schedule. Throughout the planning process, Melissa always responded promptly to our emails and calls, and before the day she came up with a detailed itinerary that relieved stress from the day. We loved our photos, enjoyed the process, and would definitely recommend her!!!

Sent on 12/02/2014

Kimberle · Married on 09/06/2013

We loved Melissa so much we have used her for 3 other photography sessions since our wedding! I highly recommend her!!

Sent on 12/02/2014

Kari · Married on 04/14/2012

Melissa Barrick is completely professional and so comfortable to work with. We absoultley love every picture! She creates a fun and comfortable environment for you to relax and enjoy your sessions with her, which translates into fabulous photos! I highly recomend her to the looking brides!

Vickie · Married on 03/24/2012

My husband and I were very pleased with the finished product and thought that the prices were very reasonable for what we received in our package. We would hire this vendor again for another occasion! We have received many compliments on our pictures.

Sent on 08/06/2012

Helen · Married on 03/10/2012

Melissa was awesome and I strongly recommend her. Our picutres are GORGEOUS. She is so relaxed yet professional, and I had no qualms about her at all - I knew photography was one thing I did NOT have to worry about. Most importantly, in my view, she is invested in her clients and you feel like she is another supportive friend or family member at the wedding. She was really organized, which was great because then we had more time with our guests.

Cathy · Married on 07/23/2011

Melissa was the most amazing photographer. In the days and months leading up to the wedding she was the consummate professional, responding to any question or concern I had which I unfortunately can't say for most of the other vendors I used for our wedding. On the day of the wedding, Melissa not only made sure she got "the shots" but made it fun, glamorous and made me feel like a bride should feel on her wedding day....beautiful and special! In the month after our wedding, Melissa kept me up to date on the progress of our photos and I feel we received our photo CD in record time. Most importantly though, the quality of Melissa's work is simply outstanding. The photos had such warmth and perfectly represented my husband and my personalities. We are so thankful that Melissa was there to capture all of the special little moments on our wedding day. And now that I am a new mom I can't wait to get a session with Melissa to capture this new chapter of our lives!!

Sent on 08/16/2012
  • Lauren

Lauren · Married on 07/03/2011

Melissa was excellent to work with. Her flexibility, creativity and kindness all created an exceptional experience for my Husband and I. Not to mention her photographic talent. We found her services through seeing a friend from college's wedding photos on facebook, and just decided- we have to get her to be our wedding photographer! She is extremely organized which eases your mind as a bride when you have 1,000 things to keep track of at once. Above all her professionalism is reflected in the photography she produces. We constantly get compliments on our wedding and engagement photographs and continue to be impressed ourselves! Thank you Melissa!

Alex · Married on 05/28/2011

Melissa captured beautiful photos for our wedding and in the short time that my husband and I got to know her we felt that she genuinely cared and was so excited for us as a couple. It is evident in how she treats her clients, her kind words on her photo blog and the love through her photos that this is so much more than a job to her. This is her mission of the heart. I felt so completely at ease knowing that she was in control of capturing all the priceless moments of our wedding day as well as our engagement photos! I would recommend Melissa Barrick to anyone needing photography services. She is the kindest person you'll meet in the business world. She is very organized and prompt with emails and will bend over backwards to make sure you're happy with the final product. My only regret is that I no longer live in Maryland to have her capture future family moments for us. Thanks Melissa and God Bless!

Kalyn · Married on 07/31/2010

I can't believe I haven't reviewed Melissa yet! She took our engagement photos in May of 2010 and photographed our wedding that same July, and even did a day after shoot for us the morning after our wedding (which she was so flexible for, due to my severely hungover husband). And she is, without a doubt, phenomenal! And that's an understatement! The pictures she took made me feel so absolutely glamorous, and I have never seen my (now) husband so excited about pictures before! We got so many compliments on ALL of our pictures, the most popular of which was "these should be in a magazine"! She is wonderfully talented and I find myself spending the days planning what other photo shoots we can hire her for! Thank you a million times Melissa!

Sent on 01/26/2011

Heather · Married on 05/30/2010

Melissa is absolutely wonderful! She is so creative and artistic and takes beautiful pictures. Her work is constantly improving. She is very flexible and works with your schedule. She is great because you get her for your whole wedding day and not just for a few hours like some of the package deals other photographers offer. I would highly recommend her!

Sent on 07/28/2010

Cathy · Married on 05/29/2010

Absolutely Wonderful!!! Could not have been more pleased with the experience. Great and easy to work with. Always flexible and responsive, and a lovely personality. Pictures...AMAZING!!! Definitly working with again in the future. As a matter of fact in a few months for a session with my entire family, and after seeing what she has done with our engagment & wedding photos, my mother is so excited about that. :)

Sent on 06/30/2010

Nadia · Married on 05/21/2010

We are so happy we had Melissa as our photographer! She is a true talen! She made our memories so beautiful and unforgetable. Will recomend her to anyone!

Nadia and Jeff.

Sent on 09/16/2010

Victoria · Married on 03/27/2010

My husband and I really enjoyed working with Melissa Barrick Photography! She was very professional and worked with us to achieve the best experience from our photography session. We have reccommended Melissa Barrick Photography to all of our friends. She is amazing not only for wedding photography but for casual photography as well!

Sent on 05/19/2010

Mary · Married on 03/20/2010

Your search for photographers has ended! Melissa Barrick provides excellent service and beautiful shots (and winning personality) for much less than others are charging. Book your summer weddings early - she's in high demand!

Sent on 05/25/2010

Kirstin · Married on 10/18/2009

I checked out A LOT of other photographers before I found Melissa. She was professional, fun and very very talented. If you are looking for a photographer to capture your wedding in a modern, true to life way, she is the one!

Melissa made sure that we were comfortable with the process, and listened to and honored our requests. Melissa truly has a passion not only for photography, but people and capturing thier love stories!

The work that she displays on her website and blog will win you over! I would be happy to talk to any brides or grooms personally on Melissa's behalf.

Sincerely, Kirstin and Christopher Bull

Sent on 01/16/2010

Kelly · Married on 06/28/2009

I had Melissa do our engagement session and our wedding reception. I would consider her THE BEST in Southern Maryland for her artistic approach, professionalism, and value prices. VERY talented and compared to other photographers I have experienced MUCH more artistic and professional. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!

Sent on 07/16/2009

RUBY · Married on 10/02/2010

Excellent photographer! Very sweet personality and very professional. Quality of photos is great, very creative eye. I recommend Melissa to every bride-to-be I know!

Angela · Married on 06/05/2010

MB Photography is amazing. My husband and I are extremely pleased with the photos we received from our wedding. Highly recommend this photography service!

Sent on 07/28/2010

Erin · Married on 10/22/2011

Melissa was a pleasure to work with. She was very laid back and listened to what we were looking for in our engagement and wedding photos. She delivered great photos and captured our day beautifully. Melissa even took a train up to NYC with a 5 week old baby to shoot our engagement photos, which was more than appreciated and I'm sure a long and exhausting day for her. I will point out that it seems like these days many couples are looking to receive their fully-edited photos by the time they return from their honeymoon. This was not an expectation that we had, nor was it an expectation that Melissa set for us. We were perfectly fine with the 8-week turnaround for our final photos (they were worth the wait); however, if it is critical that you receive your photos quickly, this is something that you should be aware of. We also ordered a few albums from Melissa. I found them to be a bit on the expensive side; however, the quality was great and her creativity in putting them together was evident. Overall, worth the expense as they are now a lifelong keepsake from our wedding day.

Denise · Married on 11/06/2010

0.2
      1.0
      0.0

We hired Melissa of MB Photography, LLC to photograph our wedding last year. Our contract included all day coverage (roughly 10 hours). Melissa also brought an assistant, stating she had full faith in her assistant’s capabilities. Close to 3 weeks after our wedding, Melissa called to inform me that nearly 2/3 of the photos she took herself on our wedding day were “gone.” She offered no further details or explanation regarding the photos, even though I kept pressing for an answer. I asked which photos she did have and she couldn’t tell me because she hadn’t gone through all of them yet, even though she had ample time do so by now.

My husband and I were devastated by this news. I emailed Melissa the next morning asking for an honest explanation. How are photos just “gone?” She replied that she lost one of her memory cards and was too embarrassed to tell us the truth, admitting this was a huge mistake on her part. She said she switched out the memory card from the first 2/3 of the day (6.5 hours of coverage to be exact) before our first dance, zipping up a pouch in her bag and when she got home that night, the memory card was missing. She said she checked her camera bags, her car, her assistant’s car, and only called our reception site and church, but never actually went there to look.

Again, Melissa never went over to the reception site to retrace her steps and look for the memory card. She only called to ask the vendor to do it for her. She had a responsibility to us as clients to ensure that her memory cards were properly secured and protected, and that she would take all necessary steps to look for a memory card if it did go missing, including revisiting the areas where photos were taken and retracing her steps. Melissa admitted to us that she did not do this. This is inexcusable and extremely unprofessional. Melissa should have informed us that the memory card was lost as soon as we returned from our honeymoon, not 3 weeks after our wedding, and she should’ve had the pictures that she did have ready for our review. Instead, it took her an additional week to go through the photos and post them to a gallery. I emailed Melissa daily inquiring about the delay and she stated her internet at home was slow because she lived in the country and it timed out during the day when she was at work.

There were about 900 photos uploaded for us to review. Out of these, around 25% were actually Melissa’s photos and the rest were from her assistant. The only actual photos from Melissa were from the first dance at our reception until after the cake cutting/bouquet toss. The list of photos not captured by Melissa included: everyone getting ready/dressed, details like my dress, flowers, rings, etc., first look pictures, formals of my husband and I before the ceremony, the entire church ceremony, formals after the ceremony with my parents and the wedding party, photos with the wedding party at the Lincoln Memorial, and photos of my husband and I outside our reception venue. This is a huge portion of the day on Melissa’s camera that was lost, specifically, 6.5 hours out of 10 hours, and most importantly, the entire wedding ceremony, which was extremely special and sacred to us as well as our family and friends.

Melissa explained that at least her assistant captured some of the morning and afternoon. Out of the pictures missing from above, her assistant provided only a handful of photos. Since Melissa lost her photos of the entire ceremony, I figured her assistant would at least have captured most of the ceremony. Instead, there were barely any of the ceremony (none of my father walking me down the aisle, giving me away, the wedding party walking down the aisle), the vows, ring exchange, and first kiss were blurry and out of focus or too bright. The formals after the church ceremony were not mirrored by her assistant so there is not one picture with my parents, nor any of us with our wedding party. The lost memory card contained all Melissa’s photos of us with our wedding party at the Lincoln Memorial, and worse, those few photos her assistant took at the Lincoln were terrible. They were extremely bright and not fit for printing.

I asked Melissa if she could edit her assistant’s photos since they were so bright and unclear and she informed me that she already had edited them and if she edited them anymore they would look worse. She admitted her assistant’s photos were “over processed” and that she was trying to “salvage” what she could at this point and was at the “mercy” of her assistant’s photos for any photos taken before the reception. Further, from saying how she put much faith in her assistant’s capabilities, Melissa changed her story and said she was still training her assistant and that she was still learning how to take photos. So, although we had a handful of pictures from her assistant that morning and afternoon, the majority were over processed and out of focus. They were not suitable for printing or use in a wedding album. To be honest, our guests took better pictures inside the church than Melissa’s assistant.

We spent the next 8 weeks trying to reach a resolution. From the time Melissa called me to tell me the memory card was lost, she should have made a clear offer of what she wanted to do to resolve what happened instead of being unclear and giving mixed messages, which only caused my husband and I more stress. Melissa’s email responses took days and even close to a week at times. In the end, she offered either a full refund or partial costs associated with a re-shoot to be conducted by her.

We decided against a re-shoot with Melissa as we had lost all faith and trust in her capabilities as a photographer and even trust in her as a person. She could very well lose the re-shoot photos as well. Melissa gave us the impression that she would rather forget about us and this entire situation. As a photographer holding herself out as a professional, who claimed this was the first time something like this happened to her, we expected her to go above and beyond in order to make things right. What struck a chord with us is that Melissa told us in our initial meeting before the wedding about how she had problems with her wedding photographer and lost many of her photos, having to use photos from family and friends to compose an album, so now that she was on the other end, we were surprised and saddened by how she chose to handle the matter of losing so many of our wedding photos.

The bottom line is that Melissa lost over half our wedding photos, not just a handful. Out of the 900 photos Melissa provided to us, around 700 were solely from the wedding reception taken by Melissa and her assistant, covering 3.5 hours. The remaining 200 photos were solely taken by Melissa's assistant, covering 6.5 hours in the morning and afternoon before the reception. This distortion between the amount of photos provided from the reception and those provided before the reception is due to the fact that Melissa lost her memory card which contained all images from those 6.5 hours before the reception (including photos getting ready, the entire ceremony, and formal pictures with our family and wedding party). It is not a matter of quantity, but a matter of quality, which we did not receive due in part to Melissa losing her own memory card which contained a large portion of our wedding day that was not captured by her assistant. Further, she waited too long to tell us what happened and wasn’t ready with a clear offer to remedy the situation when she did call us. Instead, it took over 2 months to resolve what happened, primarily due to the slowness in her email responses. We took her at her word of wanting to make things right, but in the end, her actions only illustrated how embarrassed she was and how she wanted to put this situation behind her, rather than go above and beyond and put all of her efforts into trying to make things right with her clients after she lost the majority of photos from the most important day of our lives.

Sent on 04/20/2011

MB Photography, LLC's reply:

I'm sorry to read that my efforts to fix the problems we encountered were not satisfactory to Denise. I refunded the entire contract price to Denise, and I'm happy that this money was able to help her get several still images from the videographer that she specifically wanted. I'm sorry that I could not completely reconstruct the wedding at an expense 4 times the original contract price, as this is an unreasonable expectation.

As a professional photographer I have a system in place for backing-up photos, inventorying memory cards, and providing a second shooter to eliminate the risk of not providing the customer with all the photos they expect. This process enabled me to provide 900 photographs to Denise from her wedding day taken by both me and my second shooter. The average bride receives 500-600 photographs for a 10hr wedding shoot, and is very happy with the results.

Photography is an art where style and quality of the images is up to artistic interpretation. I put samples of my work up on my blog so that brides can see samples of my photographic aesthetic. I stand behind my work and the work of my second shooters. I'm sorry that Denise was dissatisfied.

All wedding photos are priceless and each bride cherishes her wedding photos and her memories of her wedding day. I know this feeling personally and I try to provide each bride with the special personal attention she deserves.

- Melissa Barrick, MB Photography, LLC