Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers Reviews

Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 3
Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 4
Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 5

Samantha · Married on 08/02/2014

Maxine was amazing! I highly recommend using her/Bittersweet bakers for your wedding or event.Our cake was delicious and beautiful, plus Maxine made several other side desserts that were incredible, including dairy and gluten free brownies. All our guests raved about the desserts. Maxine was also a joy to work with and gave us many options to choose from. She is great! Also, compared with other vendors, Bittersweet is very affordable.

Sent on 09/08/2014

Charis · Married on 07/26/2014

Short, but certainly sweet: Maxine was extremely responsive and professional, a true pleasure to work with. Our wedding cake was insanely good, from the few bites I got to have of it! It was moist, so chocolaty and amazing, and people were absolutely raving about it all night. We had a pool party the next day, and the leftover cake was gone within about ten minutes of us setting it out. We chose a very simple buttercream decor for the cake, and it was exactly what we wanted. The buttercream was not very sweet at all, which we loved, but opt for a different option if you like a sweeter frosting. Highly recommended!

Sent on 09/24/2014

Mary · Married on 06/21/2014

Maxine's wedding cake was absolutely delicious! We did not want the standard sugary wedding cake. We asked Maxine to make us a strawberry shortcake that wasn't too sweet and that's exactly what she gave us! The fresh strawberries and custard filling was perfect. Everyone said how good the cake was. I would highly recommend Maxine, she was very easy to work with and makes a delicious cake!!

Sent on 08/04/2014

Beth · Married on 06/13/2014

We absolutely loved working with Maxine. She was so accommodating and open to our ideas - some of which strayed from the traditional. Extremely easy to work with - you will feel like you've known her for awhile after just sitting with her for your tasting (in her awesome kitchen, by the way!) Aside from her professionalism and easygoing nature she is one heck of a baker. We had a wedding cake, pies and chocolate hazelnut tarts. If our caterer hadn't saved us some there would have been nothing left. Our guests were raving about how delicious the desserts were in the weeks following our wedding. Since there was no wedding cake to freeze we will definitely be calling Maxine for an anniversary cake in a year!!!

Sent on 08/04/2014

Dani · Married on 06/07/2014

Maxine was a pleasure to work with from start to finish. She took our ideas for cake and icing flavors and worked with them for our tasting. But it was clear right away that chocolate was the way to go. Maxine makes the second BEST chocolate cake I have even tasted (my grandmother's wins but mostly for sentimental reasons).

She made us a gorgeous 3-tiered chocolate cake with dark chocolate grenache filling with pink strawberry icing and flowers on the outside.

All of our guests agreed it was the most beautiful and most delicious wedding cake they'd ever seen.

If you are having a wedding anywhere in the Hudson Valley, Sullivan or Ulster County or even down in NYC and want to work with someone who is more talent and less attitude...call Maxine!

We can't wait to have an excuse to order another cake from her!

Sent on 06/11/2014

Corinne · Married on 05/10/2014

Our guests loved our cakes and cupcakes from Maxine as much as we did. She was kind, helpful and flexible. We can't say enough how happy we were with the end result!

Sent on 07/01/2014
  • I

Iva · event on: 03/29/2014

I highly recommend Maxine's Bakery. She was responsive from the moment she received my inquiry. We were looking for a very specific style cake (Tiffany). Maxine worked with us to make sure it was exactly the way we wanted it. She went above and beyond to make it the dream cake for my daughter. The cake was perfect and delicious. It was also plenty. We ordered a cake for 70 people and ended up having 85 at the party. We had cake leftover (even after everyone having a piece) to take home. If you are looking for the most delicious and perfect looking cake, don't hesitate! You don't need to call any other place!

Sent on 04/21/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 10/26/2013

Maxine baked amazing mini pies for our wedding favors- she was so reliable, flexible and easy to work with! Maxine was open to different ideas in packaging- she even let me send custom packaging to her and packaged up everything herself, exactly as I wanted. To say that I am neurotic and picky is an understatement- and Maxine went above and beyond AND the favors looked and tasted perfect! I received so so many compliments on the mini pecan and apple pies. I highly recommend using Maxine for baked goods- her wedding cakes look amazing as well! :)

Sent on 11/04/2013

Kathryn · Married on 09/14/2013

It was a pleasure to work with Maxine from start to finish. I found her to be very flexible and willing to meet our needs, always with patience and professionalism. She provided us with an amazing carrot cake and a wide variety of desserts, all of which were fantastic. She delivered the cake and desserts right on time, and we could not have been happier with the whole experience. I would highly recommend Maxine to anyone looking for a special-occasion baker.

Sent on 12/09/2013
  • O

Olinda · Married on 08/10/2013

Maxine is a genius, and a nice, easy to work with genius! We hosted a Norwegian wedding in Stone Ridge, NY and needed special ringed almond cakes called kransekakes which are used for weddings and festivals in Norway. They are quite specialized and a lot of work and complicated. And we needed 10 of them! I had the ring forms, but knew this was beyond what I could do or would have time to do! On a hope, I called Maxine, a very professional baker right in our neighborhood. She seemed willing to try, so we took her the rings, a sample recipe, the little flags on toothpicks used to decorate, and a picture. She became intrigued and researched the project and said she could do it. She made a sample which I tested on my Norwegian teacher. "Do you know what this is?", I asked "Yes"! He said, "This is the special festive Kransekake we have in Norway, but it is the best I ever tasted!"
    She delivered the cakes and they were a huge success. They were decorated perfectly in the traditional way. Every bit was eaten. The Norwegians said that s kransekake can sometimes be rather dry and too chewy to really eat, but that these were delicious. What a success!

She also made the bride and groom as special Norwegian cake called a bløtkake which i a specialized sponge cake with fruit and cream and covered in marzipan and decorated. It was also hard to make but perfect and beautiful.

Who would think we could find such a talented, professional, willing baker in Accord, NY just a few miles from our home? I really think this woman could bake anything and would do it very well!

Sent on 09/02/2013

Denise · Married on 07/20/2013

So, I have to be honest, I normally never eat a wedding cake because they don't always taste good.
    Well, Maxine made the best wedding cake I have ever had. So fresh!!! Butter-cream that is soft and fluffy and not too sweet. Bavarian cream that is light and creamy and a chocolate cake that is moist, yes moist!
    Maxine is not only a fantastic baker but a true artist. Check out her web site, you'll be amazed.
    There was a generous portion as well, not skimpy pieces.
    On time delivery, easy to communicate and overall a pleasure to work with.
    No doubt, a great choice for bakers.

Sent on 08/04/2013

Absolutely PERFECT wedding cake!
    Maxine worked with us to create a gluten-free chocolate cake with chocolate ganache/raspberry filling, and white buttercream frosting for 135 guests.
    It was so fabulous, and on a 90 degree day it held up just beautifully.
    She worked directly with our florist (Dennis at Green Cottage in High Falls) and we didn't have to worry about a thing. Just cut and eat and say "I can't believe it's gluten-free!"
    Thanks Maxine!

Sent on 08/14/2013

Regina · Married on 07/06/2013

The cake made by Maxine's Catering and Bittersweet Bakers was not only delicious, but it looked like a true work of art. All who saw and tasted the cake raved about its presentation and flavor. Maxine worked with my fiancee and I to put our cake together. I had to have a tier that was gluten-free because of my allergy and even though most gluten-free recipes are dry and not the best tasting, Maxine did a great job! I give her cakes and service a 10/10!!!

Sent on 07/11/2013

martyna · Married on 06/08/2013

Maxine's wedding cake was delicious! She made us a yellow cake with lemon curd and sliced strawberries in the middle iced in white butter cream. The cake was moist and not too sweet, you could taste the fresh strawberries from the local farm. We received many complements on the cake. Thank you Maxine!

Sent on 06/16/2013

Dorothy · Married on 05/11/2013

Maxine worked closely with us and coordinated with the florist, Dennis Nutley of Green Cottage, who provided all our flowers. The flavorful, moist cake was elegantly iced in the color we chose and the filling was an amaxing seedless raspberrfy butter cream. We had many compliments on the appearance and taste of our wedding cake. Maxine delivered the cake and assisted with the placement of our toppers with plenty of time to spare.. We hope to have future opportunities to place orders with Maxine to celebrate life events.

Sent on 05/21/2013

Amy · Married on 10/27/2012

The cake that Maxine made for our wedding was simply marvelous and very reasonably priced. Between us, my husband and I tasted many cakes over the years and by far Maxine's wedding cake is simply the tastiest; moist and flavorful and not too sweet. Her coffee-favored buttercream icing and bavarian cream filling is to die for! I don't think that I saw one piece of cake left on any one of our guest's plates - it was simply that good. On top of the magnificent cake, Maxine is easy going, friendly and very easy to work with. We had a picture of the exact cake we wanted and Maxine delivered it exactly as we imagined it. Choose Maxine - she and her cake are great!

Sent on 11/27/2012

Emily · Married on 10/20/2012

Maxine did such a wonderful job with our wedding cake-- she worked with me to help me decide the perfect design for the cake and the final product was absolutely delicious. Maxine obviously uses good, wholesome ingredients to make a delicious, homemade-tasting cake. We received many compliments on both the design and the taste! Maxine was also great to work with, sending me hand-drawn design ideas and working through my bouts of indecision with me!

Sent on 11/01/2012

Catherine · Married on 10/06/2012

Maxine provided four cakes for our wedding and all were delicious and beautiful. Her carrot cake is amazing!

Sent on 10/09/2012

Chris · Married on 10/06/2012

Maxine was always pleasant to talk with, and was flexible in creating the wedding cake that we wanted. The cake turned out great and the flavors were delicious!

Sent on 10/11/2012

Jennifer · Married on 09/01/2012

Maxine was amazing!!! I live in Maryland and had my wedding in NewYork so most of our contact was through phone and email. Which for a bride is hard but it was easy with Maxine. Every time I emailed she got back to me super fast. She also did a a bunch of cake testers for us which were delicious. My husband is a cake man and he fell in love with our cake. They are delicious and moist and we could not get enough. I did not want fondant anywhere near my cake so she somehow managed to make butter cream icing smooth as possible. They cakes are delicious and I the price you just can't beat!!

Sent on 09/15/2012

Julie · Married on 07/14/2012

I had a very intimate wedding of 19 people in total and Maxine provided a wedding cake beyond my imagination! Since it was a destination wedding, Maxine and I corresponded via email over a period of 6 months in order to assemble the wedding cake. The cake was delicious and it's appearance was too perfect for our wedding location at the Inn at Stone Ridge in the Hudson Valley. We are so happy that we chose Maxine to bake our perfect wedding cake!

Sent on 07/21/2012

Maxine was great! She gave us suggestions and really listened to what we liked. The cupcakes were delicious and looked amazing! All of our guests really enjoyed them!

Sent on 07/02/2012

Chris · Married on 05/19/2012

Maxine was great, everything that you could want from a cake. Looked great and tasted even better. Maxine took our ideas and wants and made a cake that was exactally what we were looking for. For the price, this is an excellent choice. She was very flexible and was open to any ideas we had. I would recommend her to anyone.

Sent on 05/24/2012

Joanne and Bill · Married on 10/01/2011

Terrific job on a tough, unusual project Maxine. Your creation was a big success. It didn't last long.

Sent on 12/15/2011

Debbie · Married on 08/06/2011

Maxine was a pleasure to work with. Her tasting cakes were delicious and made it hard to choose which flavor we wanted! We went with a simple cake design and the cake ended up looking lovely. We received many compliments on her delicious desserts as well. Maxine was very flexible when I had to change the menu close to the date and was willing to try things not on her menu. Our dessert buffet was a huge hit! Thanks Maxine!

Sent on 09/12/2011