Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers Reviews

Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 3
Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 4
Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers 5

Madeline · event on: 12/21/2015

I highly recommend Maxine's Catering based on the wonderful experience I had. Maxine was a joy to work with and created a beautiful and delicious cake for my granddaughter's 3rd Birthday. I asked for a Cookie Monster Cake and she found a perfect image which she turned into an adorable cake. The cake and buttercream frosting delighted all. It was supposed to feed 8-10 people but it fed way more than that. Put Maxine's Catering/Bittersweet Bakers at the top of your bakery list!

Sent on 01/09/2016
  • User6011495 · event on: 11/28/2015

The cake for the baby shower was delicious & exactly as requested.

Sent on 12/01/2015

Debbie · Married on 11/07/2015

I was organizing a baby shower with a farm theme from out of state when I discovered Maxine Catering thru the internet. From the first phone to finally meeting Maxine (she personally delivered the cake) she was very responsive and professional. The cake was an absolute masterpiece and the quality of the cake was delicious and moist. If I lived in NY I would definitely use Maxine's Catering in future events. I need a Maxine's Catering in Ohio!!!

Sent on 11/16/2015

Marissa · Married on 10/17/2015

From the start, Maxine was a pleasure to work with: professional, timely, and able to take our vision for a cake and turn it into a gorgeous reality. She also coordinated pick up of cake flowers with our florist as well as delivery with our venue seamlessly. At the tasting it was clear, she's a cake guru: as committed to the taste and texture of the cake as to the outside beauty. We ordered an almond cake with chocolate hazelnut ganache and orange buttercream frosting, and it was hands down the best cake I've ever had. Our guests raved, it fit perfectly with our rustic fall wedding, and I loved that it was a departure from the more traditional cake flavor. Thank you, Maxine! I will be back for anniversary cakes!

Sent on 10/28/2015

Morgan · Married on 10/10/2015

Maxine was absolutely amazing! She was extremely accommodating,even allowing us to keep our appointment for our tasting when we were over an hour late. Any time I had a question or needed anything Maxine was quick to respond and extremely helpful. The most important part of this review was how delicious and beautiful our cake was! I would, and have recommended Maxine to friends and will continue to do so!

Sent on 01/23/2016

Erin · Married on 10/03/2015

Maxines Catering/Bittersweet Bakers is the top choice! For our 3 tiered wedding cake we did half marble and half chocolate. We used buttercream for our frosting. Not only are her cakes absolutely delicious, but they are beautiful, you can tell they are made with love! I went to her looking for a custom design (i'm an artist and I had my vision drawn), for the cake- after our meeting I was sure that her vision for the cake and mine, would make the most beautiful cake ever! We had guests swarming that cake table for photos...and slices! OH and I cannot forget Maxine, herself, is a lovely woman- kind, and extremely helpful!

Sent on 12/21/2015

Lindsay · Married on 09/26/2015

We absolutely could not be happier with Maxine and her services! The wedding cake she made for us was truly stunning and the taste was out of this world! It's been a few weeks since our wedding now, and our guests are STILL calling us to say how amazing the cake was, and how it was the best wedding cake they had ever had! It was so moist, flavorful, and unique. We can't wait for our one year anniversary so we can eat it again!

Maxine has a wonderful and unusual list of cake flavors on her "menu", and was even willing to try out a different flavor not on her list that we requested for the tasting (although we ended up going with one on her original list). She worked with us to develop a design and flavor combo that would tie in perfectly with our venue and decor, and she even set it up on our wedding day with fresh florals and greenery and made an extra top layer to ensure that we would have one to bring home to save. The cake was everything and more that we wanted!

Maxine was very responsive over emails, friendly, and very easy to work with. We would absolutely recommend her and Bittersweet Bakers, and are planning to use her for some upcoming family parties and things just so we can eat her amazing cakes again! Yum Yum Yum!!

Sent on 10/10/2015

Miyako · Married on 09/19/2015

Stop browsing right now, book Maxine for your wedding cake, and check it right off your endless "to do" list!!!

I worked with Maxine for our wedding cake and a surprise groom's cake for my guy.

Our wedding cake was a three tier honey/rosemary cake with a layer of blackberry preserve and vanilla Italian buttercream, frosted in vanilla Italian buttercream. Our guests were blown away! (If I didn't save the top tier I wouldn't have any left.) I showed her a photo of how I wanted the frosting to look and she executed flawlessly. She delivered herself and decorated with fresh flowers and a topper we provided.

The groom's cake was an add-on closer to the wedding. I asked her for a marble cake with layer of choc/hazelnut ganache (my fiance's original choice of flavor for our cake). We hike a lot, so she made the cake look like a campsite with tent and working fire pit! She delivered it in a box so he wouldn't see it and he was so happy!!!

The hardest part of working with Maxine will be figuring out which flavors to select -- everything we tried was amazing!

I'll definitely be working with Maxine again so book her quickly :)

FIVE STARS IS NOT ENOUGH!!! Thank you Maxine!!!

Sent on 09/29/2015

Meghan · Married on 09/19/2015

We absolutely loved our cake--a four-layer carrot cake with cream cheese icing--from Maxine's. It was beautiful, delicious, and the perfect size for our intimate affair.

Maxine herself was a pleasure to work with. We contacted her only a few weeks before the wedding, but she was responsive and willing to accommodate our request. We were planning the event from out of state, so she worked with us diligently via phone and email to ensure that we found something that suited our taste buds and our style. We couldn't have asked for a better experience or a more perfect wedding cake!

Sent on 10/09/2015

Sandra · Married on 09/05/2015

Maxine was absolutely fantastic. She was quick to respond, prompt, and answered all our questions. She listened carefully to what we wanted, visited my Pinterest and decorated a beautiful (and tasty!) cake that was exactly what we wanted. We also had mini cupcakes in assorted flavors which were a perfect way to round out our dessert table. Thanks so much, Maxine!

Sent on 01/09/2016
  • I

Ian · event on: 08/15/2015

Best cake we've had in the Hudson Valley. From start to finish, Maxine was helpful with suggestions, patient with our questions, quick to respond and precisely on time when delivering the cake, which, in itself, was as delicious as it was beautiful. Our guests raved about the flavors -- a coconut cake with lemon curd filling and Italian meringue buttercream frosting. (One neighbor even came back the next day to get more!) Can't recommend Maxine any more highly, which is why we are now using her to bake our wedding cake this fall.

Sent on 02/15/2016

Liz · Married on 08/08/2015

We went to Maxine pretty unsure of what we wanted and she worked with us (very patiently!) to figure it out. We wound up getting a three tiered naked cake designed to look like birch. It was stunning! Throughout, we had total confidence that not only would the cake be delicious (it was!) but unique and beautiful too!

Sent on 08/28/2015

Karina · Married on 08/01/2015

We loved loved loved working with Maxine! Living in New York City and planning our wedding in the catskills was a challenge. However, she made it very easy for us. We reached out to her, she was very professional and responded promptly. We set up a tasting in her home - all the options were delicious and she had great suggestions of what combinations would work best (for someone clueless about baking as I am!). She was responsive to our needs and worked with our florist to decorate our cake beautifully. Our cake turned out great!!

What we really found to be surprising is that people kept coming up to us during the wedding and telling us how delicious the cake was! I don't think I've ever paid any close attention to the wedding cake at weddings...let alone make a point to comment about it to the bride and groom. But I have to admit, it was delicious!

I would definitely recommend her!

Sent on 10/17/2015

Maxine did an amazing job on my wedding cupcakes! She was easy to work with and had some creative flavors that really amazed us. Maxine was quick to respond and flexible when setting up a tasting. Once we had a tasting and picked our flavors (PB&J, lemon/raspberry, Chocolate/Caramel) I was confident that Maxine would deliver, and she did! All of our guests were complimenting us throughout the night with how beautiful the cupcakes looked and how amazing they tasted. Thank you, Maxine!

Sent on 06/18/2015

Maxine was very helpful , asking the right questions which directed me to what was perfect for our wedding reception. The process was easy and all details were honored. Maxine actually made two cakes, both being chocolate with chocolate frosting. The primary cake was layered and decorated with white orchids and the smaller cake was gluten and dairy free. Both cakes were beautiful and delicious.

Sent on 11/29/2015

Charlene · Married on 05/30/2015

She was super easy to work with and really responsive. It looked incredible and was delicious. It is still really good and moist 4 days later. All my guests loved it and were impressed that a wedding cake could be that good.

Sent on 06/01/2015
  • May2015bride

NIKITA · Married on 05/16/2015

Maxine is a true artist! As an amateur baker, I honestly felt bad for whomever we chose to bake our wedding cake. I am always hyper critical of cakes and was trying to have low expectations since a wedding cake is a very difficult feat. My husband and I found this delicious Lemon Mascarpone cake at a restaurant. We fell in love with the flavor profile and knew that it was perfect for our wedding. Many bakers wanted us to bring in a slice in order to replicate it. This was difficult for us seeing that we live in NJ but were having our wedding in Hudson Valley, NY which was over 2 hours away. Really a long drive to deliver a piece of cake. Maxine however was different. She asked me about the flavor and recognizing that I was a baker, we discussed the way the restaurant included all of the flavors. Right away I could tell she knew what she was doing, and I was in love! We didn't even interview another baker (which is not my style). We went to meet her at her home, and I almost lost it. Maxine lives in a very rural area....I was panicking about how she was going to manage getting my 5 tiered cake over 2 hours away on dirt roads!!! However, tasting the sample she made put me at ease, I didn't care how it got there! It tasted EXACTLY like the restaurant cake, without her ever trying it!!! I was blown away!!! I found a beautiful and very intricate cake on Pinterest. She reassured me it would be fine. We opted for 2 false tiers and 2 lemon, the top being a chocolate tier for our 1 year anniversary. THE CAKE CAME OUT PERFECT!!!!!!!! I am still in shock at how beautiful it was, I couldn't find a mistake (and trust me I looked) It wasn't crooked, no cracks in the buttercream and the flavor was outstanding. Some of my guests had 3 slices! Thank you Maxine for a stunning and delicious cake!

Sent on 05/20/2015

Bill · Married on 05/03/2015

Maxine is a master of her craft, its as simple as that. My wife and I got married up at Plattekill Mountain on 5/3/2015, and we found Maxine about a month and a half earlier when we realized all of a sudden "HOLLY S**T! WE NEVER FOUND A WEDDING CAKE!". Maxine was extremely friendly and extremely reassuring when she heard our timetable. My wife had a couple pictures of cakes on her phone that she had found on Pinterest(?) and asked Maxine if it would be possible to put the pieces together to make one cake. Her answer was, "Of Course!", followed by "When can you guys come up to taste/discuss?".

We ended up going with a Lemon/Poppy Seed cake that had a Strawberry filling, and buttercream icing. IT WAS AMAZING!!!! And the finished product (which we didn't see until the day of the wedding) was enough to bring my bride-to-be to tears of joy when I sent her a picture of it!

Our day would not have been what is was if we hadn't found Maxine, and hadn't had the beautiful cake I am posting pictures of. Our guests ate the whole thing, we had no left overs, and one of our guests ate so many slices of cake that the servers knew his name by the end of the night!!!

Maxine,

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!! Erica and I could not be more happy! You are the best at what you do, and have nothing but 5-star ratings for a reason, KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!

With Love,
    Mr. & Mrs. William Reines

Sent on 05/20/2015

Lexi · Married on 04/24/2015

Our experience with Bittersweet Bakers was absolutely perfect from beginning to end. We went into this as total novices, and Maxine took exceptional care of us. She was extremely patient and helpful as we narrowed down the flavor, filling and icing for our cake. Bittersweet Bakers offers unique flavors and combos that we hadn't seen elsewhere. She made several samples for us to try and helped us come to a decision by offering feedback but not in an overbearing way. She brought the cake to our venue, liaised with the staff there and set it up completely on her own--let me tell you, having this totally handled and one less thing to think about on your wedding day is a dream come true. The cake was stunning and delicious--we got rave reviews from everyone. One of my friends had three pieces!

This is all a long way of saying we'd choose Bittersweet Bakers 10 times out of 10--our experience was phenomenal!

Sent on 04/29/2015

Julie · event on: 04/20/2015

Moist , delicious red velvet, with the most decadent creamy frosting. Homemade at its best ! Beautifully and professionally decorated . Maxine is the best ! Very kind and accommodating . So good, I placed another order for our son's graduation party in June 2015.

Sent on 04/30/2015

Katharine · Married on 09/27/2014

Maxine was recommended to us by our caterer and she did not disappoint! We asked for a unique wedding cake (a 6-layer rainbow cake) which Maxine had never made previously. She did a small sample for us and we knew she would be able to pull it off. And pull it off she did! The cake was beautiful and elegant on the outside - and a brilliant and perfect rainbow on the inside! Everyone loved the element of surprise and of course it tasted fantastic. I originally thought I wanted a more unique flavor for the cake, but Maxine smartly suggested that we keep the flavors simple, as the rainbow colors might confuse people's taste buds. She was completely right and the vanilla was simple but very flavorful. It was exactly what we wanted! She also made some pies and gluten free cupcakes for us, which were all a hit. She was very professional the whole way through the process and I would definitely recommend her to anyone looking for a baker in the Hudson Valley. She's fantastic and a pleasure to work with!

Sent on 01/16/2015
  • User4395029 · event on: 09/06/2014

Working with Maxine was easy and delightful. She was very flexible and open to creative collaboration. She delivered the cake on time, and it was absolutely delicious. Thank you for helping to make my birthday event so special!

Sent on 09/12/2014

Annie · Married on 08/30/2014

Our cake was a huge hit! Above and beyond all our expectations!! I highly recommend Maxine. We worked together on the idea for months and she was very responsive to all our needs. Prices are reasonable and she gave us exactly what we asked for. Great vendor!

Sent on 09/18/2014
  • U

Ujjala · event on: 08/23/2014

Maxine's cake was beautiful to look at and delicious to eat and her REAL Butter Cream melts in your mouth. Everyone of my guest asked "Who did your cake, it taste delicious!" Indeed it did!!!

Sent on 08/27/2014

Amber · Married on 08/16/2014

I had a clear idea of the cake flavor I wanted for my wedding (rosemary honey). However, I had problems finding someone to execute my vision. I emailed Maxine and she was happy to test out the flavor and make the cake I wanted. After some tinkering and research she made an amazing cake! She made it exactly like I wanted it, used real ivy, and my guests raved about it! She was amazingly flexible and helpful in the whole process, I highly reccomend to all couples, especially those who are looking for something custom.

Sent on 08/20/2014