Maui Wedding Cakes Reviews

99 | Kihei, HI

99 Reviews for Maui Wedding Cakes

Jenn · Married on 06/24/2006

By far, the best cake I have had. They were very easy to work with, took suggestions, and made our cake to look just like the photo I submitted. The cake was amazing -- two layers, the first being chocolate with chocolate mousse filling, and the second being white cake with passion fruit and whipped cream filling. The cake was delivered in a timely manner, and the flowers on top were gorgeous.

Sent on 08/19/2008

Jaidean · Married on 06/28/2004

Fabulous! Best wedding cake I have ever tasted!!!

Sent on 11/04/2007

Joanne · Married on 06/14/2014

3.5

Arrived on time and looks amazing!!!

Sent on 07/08/2014

Malia · Married on 01/26/2013

Mau Wedding Cakes was awesome. She took exactly what I had explained I wanted the cake to look like and brought it to life. You definitely won't regret choosing them. Good quality for price.

Sent on 03/21/2013

3.0

Beautiful, delicious cake, seemed a tad bit expensive when worked out per slice per person

Sent on 08/25/2015

We used this company to make our wedding cake for our wedding on Maui. It looked exactly how I asked - it was so beautiful! I had it remade for our 2 year anniversary in a bit smaller version. For what I paid ($70) the cake wasn't as great I remembered on our wedding day. It was really pretty, but it was a little dry.
    I would still recommend this company as they did do a nice job with the decorating, and the cake did taste good, just a little dry the 2nd time.

Sent on 01/11/2013

Sarah · Married on 06/01/2008

Maui Wedding Cakes makes it so easy to order a wedding cake. Their website is fantastic, their response time is very quick, and they seem to be very friendly on the phone! I couldn't have asked for a better vendor for my situation (a destination wedding, I had to do everything by phone and email). They are highly accommodating, and quick to offer suggestions if you need them. We had the buttercream frosting, which is amazing, and our two-tiered cake had coconut filling on the bottom and regular white whipped cream filling on the top for our coconut-hating guests (I couldn't believe there were six of them!). The coconut was even better than expected. The flowers on the cake were gorgous. I highly recommend this service, but be sure to book in advance!

Sent on 06/17/2008

Jessica · Married on 08/11/2007

Selecting my wedding cake was pretty simple. I would suggest looking over your quote very carefully before submitting in a final request - they originally gave me a quote for the wrong cake! I don't know if they update their website frequently, but just make sure that you describe the cake you actually want (in addition to the style number) when you put in your quote!

As for the taste, I ordered the white chocolate mousse with buttercream icing. The top didn't even make the plane ride home - we ate it on the plane before we reached our first stop-over!

Sent on 05/17/2008

Lana · Married on 06/23/2014

We ordered cupcakes with a cake topper from Maui Wedding Cakes through our wedding planner. The choices and combinations were vast and we were able to customize exactly what we wanted. They set up a stand with a few tiers of cupcakes and the cake on top for us to do a ceremonial cutting. The flavours were awesome and presented beautifully. A perfect option for a destination wedding where you don't want to take home a whole bunch of cake!

Sent on 10/10/2014

Edye · Married on 09/16/2005

Never even talked with them- did it all by email and got exactly what I asked and paid for! BEAUTIFUL!!!

Sent on 09/28/2008

Anonymous · Married on 04/21/2013

I used Cheryl for our wedding on April 21, 2013. I am very indecisive, and changed my mind about 5 times before finalizing a design and flower arrangement! I thought Cheryl was going to disown me. lol Everything was great- we ordered coconut cream on the top layer and lilikoi for our bottom tier. Both were excellent, but coconut was the favourite. We got fondant icing. The cake was brought out from the fridge just before we did cake cutting- it had already started to melt/soften so much that it was really hard to cut- just kind of gooed around the knife. Not Cheryl\'s fault at all, just something to keep in mind as the heat is unavoidable on Maui (we cut it at 7pm). I might have opted for the buttercream frosting instead of fondant, but the fondant was still gorgeous. I did ask for quilted pattern on the sides and no seashells, but the cake came without quilting and with seashells! I actually loved it, so I was so glad Cheryl did it this way!! Highly recommend her- not cheap, but nothing on Maui is.

Sent on 04/25/2013

Suzanne · Married on 07/11/2011

Maui Wedding Cakes did my sister's cake last July. It was exactly like the picture she submitted and tasted great! They also provided entrees for the reception, which was very convenient. They were easy to work with and very accomodating to what we asked for.

Sent on 03/28/2012

Lindsay · Married on 05/03/2013

3.5

The cake was beautiful and looked exactly how I wanted. Wasn't my favorite cake ive ever tasted. Everyone else seemed to love it though!

Sent on 05/15/2013

ali · Married on 08/08/2008

4.2

Great business to work with, flexible and we got exactly what we wanted with a couple of suggestions by them. Maui Wedding Cakes was also able to help us find doves for the church ceremony.....and YUMMY cake also

Sent on 09/08/2008

Amanda · Married on 08/06/2008

3.5

The cake was beautiful and tasted good too.... what more can you ask!

Sent on 10/05/2008

James · Married on 04/26/2010

Our wedding cake turned out beautifully and tasted very good! Some delays in email correspondence.

Sent on 05/14/2010

3.8
      3.0

We used Maui Wedding Cakes as our cake maker for our wedding at the Olowalu plantation in Maui.
    I had asked for a cake consisting of 3 large square on different tiers all with different flavors. The cakes tasted great however they didn't look like the pictures I had sent them. It was a VERY simple design - literally 3 white box-looking cakes with nothing on them (we were putting real flowers on the top). Instead we got three cakes that were half as tall as they were wide. If they couldn't do it the way I wanted it, I wish they just would've told me so I could have thought of something different. But for that price I was expecting to get what I had asked for. Maybe make sure they know exactly what you want.. again the cakes tasted amazing but just visually it wasn't want we wanted. I think I would still recommend them as they were some of the best cakes I ever tasted at a wedding.

Sent on 04/24/2013

Maui Wedding Cakes's reply:

I am glad you enjoyed the cakes flavors, we believe cakes should taste great! If this is the order that I am thinking of, from what I remember, it was placed through a wedding coordinator. When I sent the order back to the coordinator I explained to them very thoroughly that due to the size of the cakes and the number of servings they requested that they would NOT look like the cakes in the picture, which were indeed like little boxes. I mentioned that they would be large and flat. The order came back to me as is, for the larger, flatter tiers. I regret that it was not the style that you wanted. Best wishes to you!

Heather · Married on 05/09/2009

3.6
      2.5

Maui Wedding Cakes did a great job keeping in contact with me via email since I was not in Maui to meet face to face. They also work great with my wedding coordinaters. The cake was beautiful. They delivered on time and to our hotel. They did a great job all around. The cake didn't taste as good as I was hoping (I bake myself so I might be a bit critical) but everyone who ate it loved it.

Sent on 06/01/2009
  • April

April · Married on 12/02/2010

3.2
      3.0

We used Maui Wedding Cakes for our rehearsal/family luau prior to our wedding. The cake tasted ok, but for a basic design (especially for what we paid) I expected it to be done in a much neater fashion. I was also quite a bit taken back when we picked up our cake from their house (left in fridge on front porch) - definitely not what we had been expecting.
    Overall, I think they work if you're looking for a basic cake - but don't expect any frills.
    We ended up going elsewhere for our wedding day, and were completely thrilled.

Sent on 01/03/2011

Jocelyn · Married on 10/28/2011

3.0

I was a tad bit worried about how the cake would turn out after reading several mixed reviews. So how was the cake you ask? It was pretty good, some flavors definitely better than others and nothing was terrible. We had 4 flavors in total, red velvet, chocolate with mousse filling, white cake with strawberry whip and lemon with raspberry whip. Everything was pretty tasty except the chocolate cake was a tad bit dry. The red velvet was yummy from what I tasted. My mom said that she had a piece of white cake with pineapple filling. Umm not exactly what we ordered but she said it was very tasty. Also, the cake did look very beautiful (though we found just a few cracks on the side) and it was exactly the design that we wanted. All in all, it was a very solid experience.

Sent on 11/02/2011

Linh · Married on 09/20/2008

3.5

Our wedding cake was gorgeous and delicious. Highly recommended. A little expensive but you get what you pay for. You need to book early in advance. Sometimes they are so busy it takes them a little while to respond. Sad that we wont be able to eat a peice of it for our One Year Anniversary.

Sent on 10/24/2008

K · Married on 12/31/2008

2.6
      0.5
      2.5

My wedding cake was ordered over email as I was having a destination wedding. They were responsive and accomodating. I picked the flavor lilikoi (pasionfruit) from a list and sent them a detailed pic of the design I wanted.

The cake tasted amazing. It was seriously good. The design execution was terrible. My design was very simple (evenly spaced dots) but looked like a five year old had been left in charge of it. It looked like my cake had chicken pox. And the topper was smooshed into the top of the cake, the frosting was a mess on the top. For the cost of the cake, I would have expected the decorator to be able to handle simple dots well.

Sent on 03/27/2010
  • Leigh

Leigh · Married on 08/30/2011

1.2
      0.5
      1.0

This is the most unprofessional company I have worked with. Had a scheduled cake tasting appointment that Cheryl set up herself. We drove 40 minutes for the appointment and she said she didn't have it on her calendar. She tried to blame my wedding planner. I showed her the e-mail and didn't even apoligize. She ended up sending the samples to our condo...they were absolutely horrible!!! No flavor in the frosting, which tasted like whipped, melted butter and the fillings didn't have any flavor at all. We tried the passionfruit, guava and strawberries. We even had the front desk crew at our condo test them and they had the same reponse. HORRIBLE...I don't recommend this place at all. Very unprofessional and horrible tasting cake.

Sent on 09/23/2011

Hannah · Married on 07/28/2012

0.2
      0.0

DO NOT USE! This is a very unprofessional company. I sent Cheryl pictures to get a quote for a small cake just for the two of us, basically just to cut. She explained the cost for their smaller style started at $20-25. I asked which cake design I sent, if any, could be done for that price. She replied that one of the pictures I had sent could be done for that price and she further detailed that it would be fondant covered, with piping and look like the picture. I was ready to move forward with the order and place the deposit. Cheryl then sent me an invoice for $70. I asked in an email to explain the additional $40 charge and copied and pasted her original quote from our chain of emails for $25. When we later spoke on the phone she got very defensive and said $25 is for a buttercream version and that fondant would be an additional $15. Also, she said the simple piping would be an additional $15 and colored fondant would be another $10 charge. Although, her previous email clearly stated it would look like the picture (colored fondant, with piping). I said, “Just so we understand each other and to confirm what I am going to get, it will be $25 for a cake, $15 for piping, $15 for fondant and $10 for colored icing, correct?” Cheryl then got very flustered, I don’t know if she found her original emails and was embarrassed by her mistake or realized that these additional charges still did not add up to $70. She then cut me off mid-sentence and said she doesn’t want to make my cake anymore and hangs up on me. I proceeded to forward her the emails she had sent and advised that she review her notes before she causes such confusion with another destination client in the future. About two minutes after she hung up on me I called another bakery and they swiftly and professionally took my order and explained all the charges and order details. There were no hidden fees!

Sent on 08/14/2012

Maui Wedding Cakes's reply:

We have made and delivered over 25,000 wedding cakes on Maui, with a 99.6% success rate. There are some clients who, no matter how many times you interact with them and try to explain something, start with an idea in their head and then simply don't listen to you. From the first email I received from this client, I could tell that they wanted something that we would not be able to provide within her budget. I suggested from the start that they find someone else. In the very first email I explained the cake she wanted would be in the $60 - $85 range. In a subsequent email I stated that a very simple undecorated fondant version would start at $25. She somehow got it in her head that I told her at some point that her first request would now be $25 instead of $60 - $85. I strive to make my emails very clear, obviously it was not to her. When on the phone I tried unsuccesfully to clarify this for her twice more, she became very aggressive, and rather rude. I wasn't flustered, I was exasperated. At some point you realize that no matter how much you try to explain something it is falling on deaf ears. This is only the second time in 14 years and 25,000 cakes that I have had to tell a client that we choose not to do their cake. I hope the rest of her wedding experience turns out much better for her.