Mattie's Reviews

38 | Austin, TX

38 Reviews for Mattie's

The venue was beautiful and staff was amazing!

Sent on 09/16/2014

Alicia · Married on 09/26/2009

We booked Green Pastures after doing exhaustive research in the area for a wedding venue. I mean, very exhaustive research. And we are so pleased and happy that we ended up going with them! We know we made the right choice.

What initially drew us to Green Pastures as a venue was 1) the affordability and totality as a whole package (venue + food + drinks + ceremony space + chairs, tables, plates, etc. + service all from one place) 2) the option of bringing the wedding into the classically decorated indoors in the case of rain at no extra cost or expense and 3) it's comfortable homey atmosphere and beautiful gardens.

And the more we got into the planning process, the sweeter the deal got -- from the peacocks, to flexibility with decor and menu, to the delicious cakes. In the end we ended up with a perfect wedding day, thanks largely in part to Green Pastures and Tanya helping us set the stage and make sure everything turned out smoothly.

There's not much about the setting that can be said other than it was picture perfect. The grounds were gorgeous -- peacocks were strolling around during the ceremony creating great photo opportunities (but not anything distracting), everything was lush and green, and the main house was just so perfectly welcoming, warm, and homey. It felt just like were were at some big home celebration, and not in a hotel lobby or 'wedding factory'. There was a very personable and friendly feel to the place, and that just made our night. Everyone loved it! We kept on hearing how absolutely beautiful everything was, and a lot of the was just Green Pastures.

Our food was absolutely delicious! We had the carved roast beef and chicken with capers menu (with a few additions), passed h'or d'oeuvres, an open bar, and the italian cream cake for the bride's cake and the fat chocolate cake with espresso icing and mocha filling for the groom's cake. Everything was fantastic, and we did get 'honeymoon' to-go boxes of the h'or d'oeuvres and the cake, and we scarfed them down over the following days.

We were even able to special order two vegan meals for the maid of honor and one of our guests despite our meaty meal for everyone else! All of our guests raved about how good the food was (the groom's cake was the hands down favorite of the night), and my vegan friends not only said their food was absolutely delicious, but felt so welcomed and included to be able to actually have their own meals -- they're used to making it through weddings without much of a meal, if any, at all.

What turned out to be one of the best thing about Green Pastures was that all of the tables, chairs, linens, tableware, candelabras, gorgeous decor, gorgeous settings, employees, etc. were already there! It doesn't sound like a big deal, but having it all in one place and having to deal with one vendor about it it was sooo easy, and sooo worth it!

To explain a bit further, other venues we were looking at had affordable venue prices, but once you added in parking lots, catering, hourly per person staff charges, chairs, tables, plates, linens, set up, and clean up fees, you were up to your knees in fees or you're shaving off hours on either end with your family setting up and cleaning up everything to save some cash. Thankfully, such is not the case with Green Pastures! My parents have not stopped talking about how nice and relieving it was to just leave at the end of the night and not have to fuss with cleaning up or haggling with 5 different vendors about dirty dishes or missing linens (as it has happened at other weddings I've attended).

In all our wedding day turned out perfectly. There were a few communication bumps with Green Pastures along the way (rehearsal time, a wedding being booked in the morning a bit too close to the start of our set up time...) , and they did create their own fair share of anxiety. However, Tanya did work swiftly to smooth any bumps out, and was always amiable and willing to find a way to make things work for us. There was no trace of said bumps one the wedding weekend, and as I said, everything turned out perfectly.

In all, I feel we had a beautiful, stress free, worry free, drama free, delicious, gorgeous, welcoming and absolute blast of a wedding for a much smaller price tag than it seemed! It was a hit. : )

Sent on 12/15/2009

Kristina · Married on 12/16/2017

Green Pastures was absolutely magical and worth every penny. We loved that catering was included, and that the location was close to downtown. We also used their chairs, tables, and linens. Their indoor/outdoor space is incredible and leads you to not have to worry about a weather plan (it poured on our wedding day, and we are okay!). We had our wedding coordinator communicate with the venue which helped a lot to improve the communication. Visit their restaurant (Mattie's) if you are considering this as your venue and you will probably fall in love!

Sent on 01/11/2018

Adrienne · Married on 03/25/2011

First of all, I would like to say THANK YOU!!!!! to Tanya at Green Pastures. She made our wedding run so smoothly! I don't know what we would have done without her, she was an amazing coordinator. The staff did an amazing job as well.

We booked GP for our ceremony and reception. The day was perfect! We had our wedding on a Friday because of the price difference which was so affordable for what you get. When you book GP, they provide a full wait staff, the food, drinks AND both cakes which were amazing! They also provided a dance floor for us (w/ a small fee). Let's not forget the Peacocks... they were beautiful!

When I arrived with the bridesmaids to get dressed in the bridal suite, they immediately provided us with water and champagne which was really nice. They frequently stopped by to check and see how we were doing.

We had a buffet style dinner. We chose Tilapia, Chicken and Bowtie pasta as our main courses. All three were wonderful. Everyone was especially impressed by the fish. We saw people going back for seconds to get a little more of everything and people kept stopping by our table to compliment the food and wine. Then came the cakes along with a ton more compliments.

GP is a beautiful old house. We didn't even have to decorate and had minimal flowers because the house was all the decoration that was needed. The outside lawn of the house looked amazing. They keep it perfectly maintained.

I had an amazing day thanks to GP! I highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for an affordable and naturally beautiful venue in Austin. I even had a couple friends tell me that when they get married, they are copying me and having there wedding there also because they fell in love with it!

So again to GP, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Tanya and the staff were all absolutely fabulous!

Sent on 04/01/2011

Bethany · Married on 06/14/2015

I am very happy that I chose to have my wedding at Green Pastures and would recommend it to anyone looking for a venue in Austin.

Sent on 01/23/2015

Amber · Married on 03/02/2007

3.5

Everything turned out fabulous! I only had a few set backs with Green Pastures. I was upset that they could not create the cake I wanted (unless I spent more than the small fortune I had already spent); there weren't many options. In the end, the cake was beautiful (even if it wasn't what I *really* wanted). When I had questions, it was tricky at times to get a quick response. But in the end, the wedding was beautiful, my guests were happy and the food was fabulous! The staff helped walk us through everything and caused very little stress in the overall wedding process! I highly recommend Green Pastures! (Be sure to ask for extra cake to be set aside for the bride and groom-- we didn't get but a small tasting of our cakes!)

Sent on 08/01/2008

Debbie · Married on 03/07/2008

3.5

Green Pastures is a beautiful old house that makes a great place for a reception and ceremony. The food is fabulous and the wait staff is excellent. They do all the set-up and clean-up for you. They also provide the wedding cake for you. You provide your own flowers/decorations and entertainment (DJ, band).

This place books up fast so if you want a place, you need to give them a call! The wedding coordinator is great but is very busy so it's better to call her than e-mail.

Sent on 04/21/2008

Derak · Married on 03/07/2008

3.0

I've received nothing but compliments from my guests on their services.
    They provided the venue, food, cake, bar, bar-tenter, chairs, linens, dishes, wait staff, and an event planner.

Sent on 05/04/2008
  • Kait

Kait R. · Married on 02/15/2020

3.0

Great food! Just difficult to get in touch.

We chose Mattie's for our welcome dinner location. My MIL worked with Lexi to get everything set up. It's a lovely venue, and the food is incredible, however the only reason I am docking a star is because I felt the responsiveness was a little slow.
    There would be exceptionally large gaps in time when we would get a response. This only became an issue when we were about a week out and Lexi went on PTO (no shade, take it where you can!). However, I wish they would have designated a point of contact during Lexi's absence.
    Otherwise, we had an incredible time, and have received so so so many compliments on the venue being beautiful, and the food incredible.
    Thank you, Mattie's!

Sent on 02/24/2020

Adrienne · Married on 06/07/2009

3.8
      3.5

We stopped by Green Pastures several times before the wedding and we were shocked by how welcoming and professional the staff was. The food is excellent. The cake was not done the way that I asked and I felt like they were a little pushy during the pictures after the ceremony but overall, the wedding was wonderful and Green Pastures did a good job.

Sent on 06/23/2009

Megan · Married on 05/23/2008

3.6
      2.0
      3.0

Things started out great with Green Pastures. I met with Tanya, their coordinator about 3 months before our wedding (we were only engaged 3 months before we got married). While they are very expensive on a Saturday night, we opted for a Friday night wedding, and it was half the price. I loved that they didn't charge you separately for rental and food. They charge you a rental price but whatever you spend on food (it's a restaurant) goes towards that price, which really helped us out a lot. I was pretty stressed with the fact that I only had 3 months to plan a wedding for 150+ people. Tanya was awesome, she totally took direction and took the stress off of me. For the most part we were very happy with the venue. The only complaints I would have is that after the initial booking, it was hard to get a hold of Tanya. She rarely responded to email (although I had been given that as an option for contacting her), and was often busy or not there when I called. The only other complaint I had is that we had food for 180 people (that's how many had RSVP'd that they were coming) and only had 130 people there. They did not send the extra food home with us, and I KNOW they had extra food since 50 people is a lot. I should have asked about it that night, but you know how it is, everything is a blur. :) Great venue though! I'm still thinking about calling them and asking for a credit or something for the leftover food.

Sent on 08/01/2008

Michelle · Married on 03/26/2005

3.0

The wedding planner at the time was not very helpful but I still love this place! They have sinced replaced her so my lack of ratings was due to working with their coordinator...not the location or anything else.

Sent on 04/30/2008

Lauren H. · Married on 11/30/2019

Gorgeous Property, Nightmare Management

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at Mattie’s in November 2019. It was a nightmare working with Mattie’s and Lexi, the coordinator, from day 1. The property was gorgeous and food was delicious, but they are a mess. If I had known everything we were going to be getting ourselves into, we would not have gotten married there, no matter how beautiful it was. Here’s a list of everything that went wrong if you’re interested:
    *Before the wedding – We toured the property with Lexi and we were set on getting married there because it was so beautiful and immediately wanted to pick a date. It took her over a week to respond to every email. We called her supervisor several times asking for a different coordinator and were denied. They told our DJ he would not be able to play music during the ceremony and told him the incorrect place that we were planning to have our ceremony. They were deceptive about the pricing – quoted us one cost for bar package and then charged us for another.
    *Day of the wedding – The entire sound system that we were required to use malfunctioned 15 minutes before the ceremony. Our DJ had backup speakers in his car, so the ceremony only started 30 minutes late. Ceremony was in the back yard and we were assured that there would be no traffic in the ally during the ceremony. However, the Mattie’s staff decided to do all of their glass recycling during our vows. Part of the sound system included the giant projector screen in the reception area that would not roll back up, so we get to have a blank screen in all of our wedding pictures. Someone dropped a glass in the women’s bathroom, staff was notified, nobody cleaned it up, bridesmaid cut her foot, mother of the bride was on her hands and knees cleaning it up. The bride’s parents were the last table to be served dinner.
    *After the wedding – We learned that they knew the sound system was already broken from the day before. Lexi’s supervisor tried to make amends with everything that went wrong by offering an insignificant refund to try and offset all of the challenges. In our minds, it was not nearly enough.

Sent on 01/30/2020