Marissa Maharaj Reviews

32 | Altadena, CA

32 Reviews for Marissa Maharaj

Natalie · Married on 02/18/2017

Photography is super important to both my husband and myself, so we knew we needed to find someone who we could really trust. Marissa and her team are truly incredible and captured our day PERFECTLY. We are so in love with our photos and even more in love with her! Her calm and playful demeanor was such a huge blessing on our wedding day, when so much was going on. She has this amazing ability to be professional while also super relatable and makes everyone in her presence feel calm. Her photographs capture the special moments without being all up in your face. Those moments really do fly by, and having a photographer who is ON IT is so important on a big day like a wedding. She really is the perfect balance of everything we could have wished for in a photographer. I'm so glad we hired her and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Lisa · Married on 09/24/2016

To put it simply -- Marissa is the best! Photography was my top priority as soon as we booked our wedding venue, and I searched and searched and spoke to several fantastic photographers. After only one phone call with Marissa, I knew the search was over! Not only did I love her photos, I felt like I was speaking with an old friend on the phone. Throughout the process, Marissa was responsive, professional, organized, and fun to brainstorm ideas with! You never have to worry about staying on schedule, because Marissa will be one step ahead of you.

We got married on Whidbey Island, just outside of Seattle, and Marissa offered to go there and do a walk-through of the venue with me in advance. The walk-through calmed so many nerves, as Marissa used her creative eye to find the best lighting and decide where we should take our portraits. On the wedding day, we knew just what to do! On that note, where to even begin about how wonderful she was during the wedding weekend. Marissa and her second shooter were early to every call-time, and never missed a beat. My husband I keep saying became like part of the family for the weekend and somehow managed to be in five places at once to catch all of the special moments. Marissa managed to effortlessly corral the family and bridal party with a positive attitude, keeping us on schedule, and making it fun and easy for everyone. When the night was over, I hugged Marissa goodbye like an old friend! Anyone would be lucky to work with her :)

Sarah · Married on 09/09/2016

Words cannot begin to describe how amazing Marissa is! I would have to say photography was my top priority for our Tahoe wedding in September and she completely blew us out of the water. She was extremely attentive and responsive the entire process which made the planning so stress free! She made my husband and I feel so comfortable and relaxed which at times can be hard to channel while in front of so many people/ posing for so many shots! She captured REAL moments on our big day and I still look at the pictures and I am brought back in the moment with her at ease and gorgeous style. She brought me to tears when we got them all back! They were exactly what I dreamed they would be. Furthermore- she was a PART of our day, not just as a photographer but quickly became a friend. I cannot simply put into words how creative, smart, innovated, and talented she is. I cannot wait to work with her again to capture our next big adventure.

Marissa Maharaj is simply put- THE BEST!!

Tyler · Married on 09/04/2016

We used Marissa for our engagement shoot and I cannot even begin to tell you how special the photos are! We have had experiences with different photographers before where we didn't feel comfortable and it felt like every photo was posed, so this experience was AMAZING. Marissa is so exceptional at capturing the in-between moments, the candid shots, and the most spectacular planned shots. She makes you feel at ease from the very beginning and seeks to understand your goals for the shoot. She is a true artist, I was so stunned by the quality of the work when we got the photos back. Not to mention, you will 100% want to be her friend by the end of the shoot, she is simply one of the nicest people you'll meet.

I recommend her ANYTIME I hear someone mention they are even thinking about getting married. Literally my first question is "do you have a photographer yet?" I can absolutely guarantee that she is the best decision you'll make as you plan your wedding.

• Loryn

Loryn · Married on 09/02/2016

I can't say enough good things about Marissa. I had originally booked her in March 2016, but we decided to get our engagement photos done sooner, and even though she was really busy, she fit us in to her schedule in December! We had the absolute best time with her as well during our shoot (and driving the two hours to Joshua Tree!). I had showed her some photos that I loved on my Pinterest board and she made sure to write down all of my ideas so that we could some what replicate those photos. Our photos turned out AMAZING and we will cherish them forever! Don't think twice about booking her, she is the best! PS: Definitely bring a small speaker with you to play some music during the photos! :)

MOLLY · Married on 07/02/2016

Working with Marissa was an absolute treat. Finding the perfect photographer for our wedding was probably my top priority. When I went to her website and saw her gorgeous photos, I knew I had to contact her, but she went above and beyond my expectations once she was hired. She is incredibly organized, punctual & professional but we also had a BLAST. We hired her for two nights and by the end of the weekend, she felt like a member of the wedding party. She just sent us a preview of our photos and they are absolutely spectacular. She really captured our personalities and the overall energy of our wedding weekend. I literally want to fly her in for all major life events. Do not think twice, just hire her.

Alicia · Married on 12/19/2015

There are not enough wonderful things to say about Marissa Maharaj! She is the most phenomenal and professional photographer!

During the entire wedding process, she was incredibly helpful and offered many insights for the day of the wedding. We shared our vision with her and she was very excited to help capture our special day! With her vast experience, she provided so much helpful advice that made decisions regarding photos very easy. Throughout the entire process, she was very responsive, helpful, professional and so sweet! She made everything so exciting and very stress-free.

The day of the wedding, she went above and beyond. She captured so many wonderful moments from the small, intimate ones to the crazy, fun ones during the reception. Originally unsure of whether or not to do a first look, Marissa provided such helpful insight into the incredibly special moment. In the end, we decided to do a first look and I am so happy we did. She made the moment one of the most special ones of the day. She captured the raw emotion and let us so enjoy the joyous moment. During the first look and couple photos, she made them feel so intimate and made us feel as ease. During the reception, she continued to capture incredible photos of the night!

When we received our sneak peak and final wedding collection, the pictures were breathtaking. I could not stop crying! She captured everything - posed and candid - and they are just incredible.

Her photos are exquisite and capture the sweetest and best moments! She is remarkably talented and goes above and beyond any expectations! She is incredibly organized, so funny and helped with every little detail. She was an absolute joy to work with! We are so thankful Marissa was our wedding photographer and would absolutely recommend her!

Moorea · Married on 10/10/2015

Can I leave a 10 star review? Marissa was an absolutely PHENOMENAL photographer for our wedding. So much so that I've asked her to be the photographer for my second book that I am publishing in 2017. She's that incredible!!!

I've gotten to work with quite a few fabulous photographers through my career. But I think there is no other photographer that has ever made me feel so comfortable in front of the camera. And ESPECIALLY on your wedding day, feeling supported, encouraged, and totally peaceful in front of a camera (almost forgetting it is even there!) and comfortable with yourself and your photographer is everything.

After one consultation, I knew I could trust Marissa's incredible creative vision to bring our dream wedding photos to life. And I swear she made our wedding look even more gorgeous, dreamy, magical, and love filled through the lens of her camera a million times over. She is so good at listening, observing and discovering the root of who you are as a couple and what makes you beautiful. And looking at just the sneak peeks of our wedding photos now, my goodness, I am in awe, I've never felt so beautiful and so in love remembering our wedding day. When shooting, the camera just melted away and the moments felt so easy. She TRULY captured my husband and I at our best! She made magic happen and I tear up every time I look at even just the "sneak peek" photos she has given us so far! I look at our photos and feel and see radiating romance, happiness, peacefulness, and love between Max and I and from our community. Just incredible.

Whether you're looking for a photographer to intuitively understand who you are at your core and transform that into the most magical wedding photos imaginable, or if you need someone who will listen intently and keep a clear guideline of all of the shots you envision for your big day, Marissa is the perfect melding of the two sides of the mind: creative and artistic + focused and detail oriented. THE dream photographer.

Valerie · Married on 09/12/2015

Finding a great wedding photographer was at the top of my priority list, and looking through Marissa's portfolio I knew that her style exactly matched what I envisioned for our special day. Booking Marissa was probably the best decision we made in the whole planning process! Our engagement photos are so amazing I nearly fell out of my chair, and she made the entire process enjoyable and stress-free. She was incredibly professional but kept things light and fun, she was prompt and responsive to my numerous emails, and she was incredibly flexible. She is thoughtful about presentation and setting up shots, but can capture a wonderful candid like nobody's business. And her personality is as fun as her photos are beautiful! She really is the whole package. We would highly recommend hiring Marissa (and quickly, before she books up!)

Stephanie · Married on 07/25/2015

Book Marissa to photograph your wedding — just do it!

If you've looked through her portfolio then you already know that her photography is out-of-the-world beautiful, and I can say without hesitation that trusting her in capturing our wedding day memories was one of the best decisions I made during wedding planning. Not only is Marissa talented, she is such a joy to be around, and she helped me and my now-husband (both too goofy and awkward to feel very comfortable in front of a camera) relax and actually HAVE FUN while being photographed. She went the extra mile and spent nearly an entire day hiking with us for our engagement photos, and it honestly just felt like we were spending the day with an old friend (who just happened to have two cameras!).

We've already gotten a sneak peek of our wedding day photos, and they're so magical. Everyone tells you the day goes by really quickly and it's so true — Marissa captured so many special moments beautifully; even a few moments that we honestly wouldn't have remembered without her being there with her camera! Thanks Marissa!

Kristina · Married on 03/07/2015

Photography is something that you really want to invest in because you will be able to look back at your wedding photos for the rest of your life! Marissa surpassed all of our expectations and hopes for our wedding photography experience. She is not only very professional, but also becomes a true friend and shows genuine care and concern for her clients. She made us feel comfortable from the very beginning - from engagement photos in our home to wedding photos overlooking the Seattle skyline, we knew that Marissa would capture some priceless moments that we will cherish forever. Hire her for all of your photography needs!!!

Stephanie · event on: 02/10/2014

Marissa Maharaj is a woman of incredible talent, wit, and artistic ability. Taking our engagement pictures with her was one of most rewarding experiences of wedding planning - in the midst of the choices and the lists and the stress, it was a beautiful thing to get to go out and spend a day documenting and celebrating this wonderful chapter of commitment and preparation we are living into. Marissa made it feel like exactly that! She is a magical combination of professional, laid back, and hilarious, and made us feel completely at ease in front of the camera - running around, and whispering silly things to each other, and following her directions, we almost forgot we were being photographed sometimes.

The result? Unbelievably beautiful pictures that are honest, creative, and reflective in the very best sense of us as a couple. Truly, we were blown away!

If you are wanting a photographer who listens, is professional, attentive, gives you a gloriously fun and relaxed time, always goes the extra mile (or three), and without fail will give you photographs that you will treasure for years to come - then look no further. Marissa, I can't say thank you enough for your work - we are so grateful!

Marie · Married on 07/12/2014

Marissa was such a delight to work with for our engagement and wedding photography. I couldn't recommend her more! She's very responsive, warm, and generous with her time. Her quality of work is beautiful and captured the emotion of the day. When we got our photos back from the wedding, we couldn't believe how many moments were caught. Hiring Marissa was absolutely one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. I can't wait to find excuses to work with her again in the future!

Sally · Married on 07/27/2013

One of the best decisions we made when planning our wedding was hiring Marissa Maharaj. The entire process - starting with our initial interview, to hiring her (and receiving a celebratory bottle of wine in the mail courtesy Maharaj Photography), to laughing hysterically with her on our wedding day, to finally receiving the unbelievable photos (a few mailed to us in stunning presentation) - was spectacular.

We were initially attracted to Maharaj Photography because Marissa's photos are so bright, whimsical and seemed to capture joyful moments so perfectly. She supported our personalities and desires so well when we spoke and planned on the phone prior to the wedding - she was like talking to an old friend who already understood what we wanted and needed.

During the day of, Marissa joined the women in my family in our suite while we got ready - she alternated between being an almost invisible fairy, fluttering around snapping photos without our notice :), and settling in as a "one of the girls" who my sisters and I were thrilled to get to know. She's a charming, engaging and positive personality who made me feel secure, beautiful and excited to have her behind the lens.

I don't know how she did it, but Marissa took the most beautiful photos of our wedding without us hardly noticing, and captured moments we'll treasure for the rest of our lives. I don't recall seeing her in and out of some of the intimate scenes she captured - she was always in the middle of the right moment, enabling us to experience the joy of it while she captured the feeling.

We are so thankful to have such a beautiful collection of wedding photos, but are moreso thrilled to have met this amazing woman and artist who briefly stepped into our lives and documented our beautiful, memorable wedding day!

Marissa Maharaj is an amazing individual and talented photographer. She is extremely easy to work with and shows genuine interest in understanding her clients' needs, desires, and unique qualities. It was comforting to have her behind the camera on our wedding day because it was clear that she was in her element. Marissa shows extreme ease in her ability to take beautiful photographs that are genuine reflections of the unique couple. She relieves her clients of all worries and expects clients’ to simply enjoy their big day.

Her photographs are real and beautiful. Every single shot that was returned to us was perfect. How is it possible to have that many perfect photos? She did a wonderful job capturing every special moment, big and small, creating and documenting the events of our big day.

Thank you Marissa for your wonderful work. We recommend your services to any and every couple.

Jenna · Married on 04/26/2013

Marissa Maharaj is absolutely amazing. Hiring her was the best decision I made as a bride. She was not only extremely professional but also very friendly and fun to be around! Wedding days can be very stressful, but Marissa completely put us at ease. She made my husband and I feel like we were spending time with a friend; our photos DEFINITELY reflect how much fun we were having and how comfortable we felt. Our photos are perfect and help us remember our perfect day!

Jon · Married on 04/13/2013

I purposely rated Marissa's services as our photographer 5/5 because we had an amazing time. We had our wedding in Italy and so we discussed and planned everything via email and skpye. There were absolutely no complications. We felt very honored because before the wedding she always gave us the feeling that everything was going to work out perfectly—and it did! At the wedding itself, she was very committed and professional. When we got the photos, my wife and I kept saying to each other: "Wow, how did she take that shot?" Above all, we experienced Marissa as easy going and a lot of fun.

Nelly · Married on 02/09/2013

My fiance and I just absolutely loved working with Marissa for our engagement session! We had a wonderful time with her and felt so comfortable with her behind the camera. She is very professional with her work and made our time together taking pictures feel so at ease and natural. She was flexible and very organized throughout the day and just a joy to spend time with!

Marissa has incredible artistic talent to capture unique moments and stories with her photographs in the most beautiful way. Our photographs from Marissa creatively reflect our relationship and our story and are a lovely treasure.
    I highly recommend Marissa and Maharaj Photography with all my heart!

Sarah · Married on 09/30/2012

Working with Marissa for our engagement photos was an incredible experience in every way possible. I was a little nervous initially because I wasn't sure how relaxed my fiance would feel in front of the camera. Nevertheless, I had high hopes due to the photojournalistic style of Marissa's portfolio of work--she consistently produces shots that capture the mood or the atmosphere without being staged, and I think these types of shots are the most timeless and beautiful.

She immediately made both my fiance and I feel relaxed and giggly, and there were many moments where we forgot entirely we were at a "shoot." Marissa is sweet and hilarious all wrapped into one, which is the perfect combination to have in your photographer: she gently helps you to feel less self-conscious and more natural through her witty remarks and encouragements. We were too busy laughing and talking together to feel awkward about a camera being pointed at us!

Looking through our proofs, I was utterly blown away and thrilled with the resulting photographs. It was so delightful to remember the day we had together, including interactions I hadn't even remembered but loved seeing in a photograph. Most importantly, I was delighted to see so many photographs of my fiance and I laughing together. Because we are fairly passionate people, I can forget how much we enjoy simply being together and cracking ourselves up. Marissa captured us in such a light-hearted and intimate fashion, and these photos will serve as a reminder of our joy in one another's company for many, many years to come.

In summary--I cannot recommend Marissa highly enough to anyone looking for a natural, timeless capture of their season of engagement. Anyone would be thrilled with the images she captures and the way she goes about capturing them. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Marissa!

Where to even begin!! Marissa as an amazing person to begin with, but also one of GREAT talent. She is very passionate at her work and is amazing at what she does, while remaining relaxing, professional and extremely humble. We were lucky enough to have her shoot our engagement and wedding photos. Our main goal was to not have the 'typical' posed photos that did not mesh with our personality and we knew she could help us with that! She truly captured our personalities in both our wedding and engagement photos! All the feedback we have gotten from family and friends is that our photos are 'so us' and that she really captured our true personality! That takes true talent!
    She was super professional and efficient in both the engagement photo session and on our wedding day! She was able to make us feel so comfortable and calm while still capturing crazy fun, romantic and serious moments! The best part is that I trusted her abilities and skills so much that I did not worry about my pictures and her capturing every moment of the day for one second!
    It was also so so fun to have her around all day! She was there for comic relieif, helping organize the day, keeping everything relaxed and fun, and even help reapply my lipstick. She was extremely accommodating in any and all requests by anyone involved in the wedding on the day of, and if there was any sort of issue, I didn't know about it!
    I was super impressed with both the turn around time and quality of our photos! We did not feel like we had to wait, and were able to enjoy our pictures right away! It was also exciting to see all the details and moments she was able to capture that we may have missed in the craziness of the day.
    How long am I allowed to be obsessed with our wedding/photos? forever?ok! I loved working with Marissa and will be looking for excuses to do so again in the future! xxoo. Meow.

Marissa took our engagement photos in the USA, and almost a year later we asked her to fly to Europe to take our civil ceremony photos for our destination wedding. We knew instantly that we could trust her to capture our special day. She's a really kind person and made us feel safe and at ease; she was gentle with us and we practically forgot she was there! :-) She is also incredibly organized and showed up early both times, and she knew just how to work around the weather (and made our rainy day look really romantic). Oh, and bonus: she has a great funny bone and made us {genuinely} laugh. Marissa also makes photo albums for her clients and they are BEAUTIFUL. Some brides wait like five years to organize their photos, and we definitely didn't want that to happen in the midst of our busy schedules, especially with so many house guests and relatives asking us to see our wedding photos! They are an investment, but they're so gorgeous and totally worth the labor / skill. The pages are thick and the cover is silk -- they're really beautiful! If and when we have children, we'll definitely be coming back to book Marissa for our maternity and family portraits.

josh · Married on 07/14/2012

Groom speaking here (who happens to be a wedding photographer).

Long story short, we wanted someone that would capture us and our not-so-traditional outdoor wedding in an authentic way. Marissa came highly recommended from a fellow photographer, and we decided to fly her in to Colorado for our wedding.

Here are 3 reasons you should consider hiring Marissa:
    1) Her work is consistent, and awesome.
    2) She is awesome, laid back, and reliable.
    3) You will hardly notice her on the wedding day other than the portrait session, but your images will rock.

I think that's all I need to say.

And Marissa, we're coming to LA to chill soon.

Josh

Kimberley · Married on 07/07/2012

We are so incredibly happy to have chosen Marissa to shoot our wedding. She was great at communicating with us in advance to find out what we are like and what we wanted out of our wedding photos. She is very friendly, fun, and professional and made us feel like we were her only clients (although I know she has many and stays very busy!) She traveled to New Mexico for our wedding and met with us the day before to go over details. She was very flexible the day of the wedding when there was a rainstorm threatening to keep us from going to certain locations at certain times. She was great at listening to what things I wanted to definitely be in or not be in the photos while I was getting ready and it felt like I just had another friend in the room. During the ceremony I don't even remember seeing her and her assistant--they were completely unobtrusive but were able to document every important moment from every angle. During the reception we were able to grab them when we wanted a certain group shot but otherwise they simply captured all the fun on film in a natural way. The results are breath-taking. I literally cried out of happiness when I saw the preview and have looked at all of the final images way too many times. They are unique, artistic, and capture both posed and candid moments and take full advantage of the setting. I am amazed at how she was able to capture so many personalities on film by picking the perfect moments to take a photo. I have received so many compliments on them and I know we will enjoy looking at them for the rest of our lives. We are so grateful for Maharaj Photography!

Holly · Married on 05/19/2012

Marissa was such an instrumental part of our experience -- I'd love to give her ten starts. Seriously, she's just plain adorable, was reliable and organized, was extremely professional, and has great energy. But most importantly, she has an incredible talent. We LOVE her work and everyone who has seen the wedding photos has remarked on how beautiful they are. She also made the process of cheesing for the camera fun and authentic, something that was really important to us. We both feel incredibly lucky to have had her be a part of our celebration, and now have all of those special little moments that happen during a wedding captured beautifully.

Cari · Married on 02/25/2012

Marissa Maharaj is the very best wedding photographer ever!! She is professional, fun, talented, easy going and just fabulous!! Each one of our wedding pictures told a story….. Marissa has such a gifted artist’s eye for detail and “painted a masterpiece” for us to enjoy forever!! Additionally, Marissa has a peaceful and joyful way about her as she works…extremely important especially on an exciting wedding day. She is the “best of the best” in her field and we whole heartedly recommend Maharaj Photography to everyone we know!!