MakeuphairV2 - Berkeley,CA Reviews

22 | Berkeley, CA

22 Reviews for MakeuphairV2 - Berkeley,CA

Nicole · Married on 11/12/2017

Vivi was my hair and makeup artist for my 2-day photoshoot as well as the trial session. I found Vivi through Yelp, took a look at her work, loved it, and e-mailed her for a quote of her prices. Vivi was very quick to reply whenever I e-mailed her and she was very flexible with her scheduling. She was one of the few hair and makeup artists who were able to do my hair and makeup for both days of the photoshoot. We collaborated over a few weeks about different hair styles/looks I was going for for each day of the photoshoot. I created a Pinterest board with pins for her to look at ahead of time. Her prices are very reasonable, compared to other hair and makeup artists in the bay area, yet the quality of her work is well worth the price! My photographer was surprised when he found out how much I had paid for the trial and 2 days of hair and makeup! Keep in mind, it's cash only though!

My skin tends to break out after using makeup, but my skin did not break out at all after the trial session and two photoshoot days! I was shocked! The makeup also lasted all day for my trial and my photoshoot. Although my hair is thick and long, Vivi styled it very well. My hair looked just like my Pinterest pins, and it held very well against the strong SF wind! At the end of the first photoshoot day in SF, my hair style and curls were still intact and on point (I have straight Asian hair).

Although the trial and photoshoot hair and makeup sessions took place at her home studio, everything was neat and clean. She also played some music during the sessions, which made me more relaxed. She also offered me a room to change to my photoshoot dress, which was super helpful, especially since my photographer, my fiance, and I were on a time crunch.

Thank you Vivi for the amazing work! Just as I flew my photographer to norcal, I am hoping to fly Vivi down to socal for her hair and makeup services on my wedding day!

Sandy · Married on 08/27/2016

I found Vivi while I was looking for a hair and make up artist for my engagement shoot in Berkeley. I live in Southern California, so I had to depend on online searches and hoped for the best that I got a great stylist. Well, Vivi certainly did not disappoint!! She was always fast to respond to my emails, and setting up the appointment was a breeze with her. She even offered me her home studio since I didn't have a place to get my makeup done in. She took the time to make sure that my makeup and hair were perfect, especially with my eyes since I have the typical Asian eyes. She is really great to work with. I would highly recommend her to anyone looking for a stylist around Berkeley area.

Connie · Married on 02/22/2014

Vivi was recommended to me by a friend, who also used her for another wedding event. I was scrambling to find a hairstylist almost at the last moment, because things didn't work out with my original stylist. Vivi came through for me and was available on my wedding day. She is very kind and personable, and the quality of her work made me feel at ease to know I was looking beautiful on my wedding day. She also did my daughter's hair, and made my little girl look like a princess. The overall experience with Vivi was great, and I would work with her again.

Sarah · Married on 11/10/2013

I recently got married, and decided on the day (Nov 10th) with only a month's time to prepare! Needless to say, there were many things to plan- my beauty (hair and make up) being one of the most important. After shopping around for hair/makeup stylists who would travel in the SF Bay area, I found Vivi and was thrilled with her rates. Compared to other traveling stylists, she charges at least $100 less, while delivering professional results. I checked out her website before making set plans, and Vivi also offered a trial run, but I decided to just "wing it" the day of the ceremony. Vivi arrived on time (early even), and carried with her all of the equipment necessary to make me look great! She was very attentive, and listened to all of my thoughts before starting the hair and makeup. I had never worn false eyelashes before, but Vivi insisted they would look great in pictures, and was totally right! My hair stayed in place throughout the entire day and night, and even after sweating and crying in my makeup, my face looked just as put-together at midnight as it did in the afternoon! Perhaps most impressive of all, Vivi has a a sweet and calming demeanor that put me and my nerves at ease. Getting ready together in my hotel room before the ceremony was the best medicine for nervous tummy! I am so grateful for the professional and affordable experience Vivi provides. Don't waste your money on the other services in the area- Vivi is the best!

Ann · Married on 09/24/2012

I got married last September and Vivi did my hair and makeup. I was so lucky I found her! She's really an angel from the heavens! I was so worried I couldn't find someone who can really give me "that perfect blooming bride" look, at the same time, affordable and not overpriced! not only she did a very great job with my hair and makeup but everyone told me how gorgeous I was that day! and what's really amazing was that, she has no idea about my dress but my whole look really goes perfect with my wedding dress too! it was classy and elegant. She's very professional and very easy to talk to. She's very helpful too, she even helped me tie my sash. She's like my bridesmaid. Shes super duper nice. I highly recommend her excellent skills and creativity in hair & makeup services.

Vivi was amazing! She did my hair and makeup for my wedding and it was flawless all day! She was able to completely understand my vision and turn it into a reality. I have impossible thick long hair and she was able to do my hair and makeup effortlessly! I felt (and looked) like a goddess!!! I could not recommend her any higher! I wish I had more excuses to have her make me over! Not only is she incredibly talented and well trained but she is the most pleasant person! Even keeping in touch after our wedding to see how our honeymoon was! She is an angel!!!! As soon as you meet her, you will want to be best friends!

debora · Married on 11/12/2011

Vivi was completely flexible, and able to turn my unintelligble murmurings of what I wanted into a style far beyond my expectations. The look I had was classic, understated, but also a far better rendition of myself-- and didn't look bare, or under or overdone. And, the hair and makeup were SOLID: no touchups needed! she also managed to make my incredibly short pixie cut look chic, which is commendable as I just don't have much hair to work with.

Also, throughout the entire process she was professional, timely with feedback, easy to work with, and managed to please my non-English speaking Chinese mother and mother in law as well (totally takes talent here; that is a really tough demographic to work with!!).

I would recommend her to anyone who needs makeup and hair services. Cash only, which is typical, and her prices are extraordinarily fair.

Vivian · Married on 07/17/2011

Vivi is wonderful! I was actually looking to book with another makeup artist, but because she was already booked for my wedding day, she recommended Vivi- and I'm glad that she did!

Vivi is an extremely nice and wonderful person. She knew exactly what I wanted and how to do it. My bridesmaids also looked gorgeous! Vivi is definitely an expert at her job and I would absolutely recommend her for anyone who needs a hair and makeup artist on their special day!

Eliza · Married on 06/19/2011

Vivi was great! She was very professional and made the whole wedding party look beautiful! Along with an assistant, she did the hair and make-up of 5 bridesmaids, the bride, and the mother of the bride the morning before the wedding. It was very laid-back and relaxing, and everybody was very happy and looked great in pictures. She was also very responsive- in the trial, I felt I looked a little too glam for our late afternoon outdoor wedding, so for the actual wedding she scaled it back and I looked great.

Also, most importantly, she is extremely affordable compared to most of the hair and make-up artists in the bay area!

Jessica · Married on 04/17/2011

Vivi did an excellent job on the hair and make-up for myself and my bridesmaid for my wedding. She was very easy to work with, responsive to my questions and provided useful information that I didn't even know I needed. After my trial session, she easily incorporated additional changes to my look for the wedding. She arrived promptly (actually, a little early!) to my site for the wedding preparations, was extremely organized and very professional.

Vivi was very conscientious in making me look absolutely beautiful. With a picture for inspiration, she created an amazing updo (classic, romantic, without looking overly done). Her make-up application was like painting, carefully and pain-stakingly blending colors and shades. Leave lots of time in your wedding schedule so she can do her best work!

I had no idea I could look that good, and I got a new lipstick color on her recommendation, since it was so perfect!

Stefanie · Married on 09/05/2010

Vivi did an amazing job on the hair and makeup for my wedding. She is so professional and calm! I loved my hair and makeup and so did all of my bridesmaids! I would highly recommend Vivi!

ann · Married on 08/07/2010

Vivi was great. She was able to make everyone who used her services on my wedding day look amazing! She put up with my mother in law who tried to cancel the night before. We all ended up looking like we came directly out of a 40s movie (exactly what I wanted) and all the girls felt extremely glamorous.
    For me, Vivi did an excellent job both on the day of the wedding and during the trail. She was prompt both days. She took her time during the trail, so the hair/makeup could be done quickly the day of. Vivi LISTENED to what I wanted and any last minute changes I needed where immediately enacted. She made a couple suggestions to get the look I wanted even though I couldn't use the updo I gave her (hair too short).
    In sum, Vivi did a great job. She will body powder you if you want. There are some things that are "extra" such as fake eyelashes etc, but they are extremely reasonable. Give VIVI a try.

marie · Married on 07/10/2010

Vivi was the most patient, pleasant person I could have dreamed of for my wedding. I normally don't wear make up so I had no idea what I wanted to look like. The only instructions I gave her were to make me look like me, only better for pictures. She spent three hours testing different looks on me, and the end result was amazing. Being Asian, I've had makeup done for me before that made me look like a panda bear. Many professionals don't know how to apply makeup on Asian eyelids and try to define a lid that doesn't really exist. So I really appreciated that Vivi knew how to work with the shape of eyes. She accented my features instead of trying to make my eyes look contoured. She was also very quick in getting my bridesmaids ready as well.
    Vivi's work on my makeup and hair was amazing, but the thing I appreciate most about Vivi was how calm and pleasant she was from the first conversation to the hug she gave me as I ran off her porch. She was warm and very flexible as she dealt with the high level of chaos that led up to my wedding. I highly recommend her to anyone as a makeup/hair person. I'll post pictures once the photographer sends them to me. :) Happy wedding planning and good luck!

Amy · Married on 07/03/2010

Vivi did hair and make-up for me (the bride) and six bridesmaids for my July 2010 wedding. She arrived on time in the morning and stayed with us for eight hours with barely a break. Vivi was super sweet to everyone and got along great with all the girls. We we were all very impressed with her hair and make-up skills. Seriously, the bridesmaids gushed about how they'd never had their make-up make them look so good! She took her time with everyone to make sure everybody was happy with how they looked, but was quick and efficient. Some of the bridesmaids brought pictures of how they wanted their hair (and everyone was different), and she was able to create exactly the look that they wanted. As the bride, I was really happy with my make-up and hair. I changed the hairstyle last minute, and she was able to pull everything off even though it was very different from our trial. She is very reasonably priced considering her skill and professionalism. I would recommend her to anyone planning to get married!

Sophia · Married on 05/01/2010

Vivi did a wonderful job on my bridal makeup and hair! I had a great time getting to know her during my trial run. She is very down-to-earth and easy to talk to. She made me feel very comfortable and confident in her work.

My wedding day involved two ceremonies - both a Hindu Ceremony and a Catholic ceremony. She was very flexible with meeting me at the times I needed her. She did my hair and makeup perfectly for both ceremonies. She also did hair for my four bridesmaids, both mothers, and flower girl for the Catholic ceremony. We had only three hours to get them (and me!) ready and she miraculously did this. Everyone looked beautiful.

I recommend Vivi wholeheartedly to all soon-to-be brides. She does fabulous work and has very reasonable prices. Thanks, Vivi!

• W

Erin · Married on 05/29/2010

I was so happy that Vivi did the hair and make for my wedding party (and me!). She was professional, friendly, fit our budget, and did a fabulous job. My makeup was beautiful and lasted all day. I took some points off since my hair was coming undone a little on my wedding day (but it could have been because the flowers in my hair were heavy). Vivi was so patient at my trial when I was trying to perfect the amount of makeup I wanted to wear. I don't wear much make up and Vivi did a great job of making me look like a prettier version of myself, not a made up doll. I would recommend anyone to use Vivi as their hair and make up artist. She will make you look beautiful on your special day.

• bappybride

Sarah · Married on 08/20/2016

If your wedding is in Berkeley, Vivi delivers incredible value. Her prices are the best in the area!
    She arrived right on time, but took longer than the timeline budgeted for my group so that the last person (MOG) was a little late for photos, but it wasn't a big deal.
    The hair and makeup trial was not quite what I was looking for, but on the wedding day she listened to my changes really well and nailed the look I wanted. My makeup stayed on all day and looked great in every photo.
    She also was very responsive whenever I had to email her about a change in the timeline. Overall, I highly recommend her!

Marianna · Married on 03/03/2011

Vivi did such a phenomenal job on my hair & make-up. I have never felt more beautiful in my entire life. I know that I'm going to treasure that feeling forever. One of my friends said that I was more beautiful than any doll she'd ever seen, and I got so many compliments from everyone at my wedding. Thanks, Vivi!!

Mika · Married on 08/08/2010

I loved how I looked on my wedding day and it's all due to Vivi who did my hair & makeup. I chose Vivi b/c her website showed that she could do makeup on asians and not make them look like geisha girls. I also have single eye lids so my eyes are tricky to do. On the day of, she came to my house at 4:30am. She worked on my 3 bridesmaids and then me. The way she did my makeup and hair turned out even better than the day of the trial. (I recommend the trial because she can figure out what colors to use and also you can provide feedback for the day of) I was very happy with the way everything turned out. I would recommend Vivi in a heart beat.

Hana · Married on 05/02/2010

Vivi is fantastic with makeup. We had 4 bridesmaids, the mother of the bride, and 2 flower girls to be done so since it is only Vivi doing all the work we had to start at 7AM for a 2 pm wedding. I chose to have my own hair dressor do my bridal hair and my mother's hair but she did do 3 bridesmaids, 1 junior bridesmaid, and 2 flower girls. The younger girls hair came out cute. A couple of the bridesmaids were not as happy with their hair but they did like their makeup. Overall Vivi is super sweet, very talented as a makeup artist and reasonable too. If you have big bridal party however, you do have to consider how much time you have for Vivi to do both hair and makeup.

Karen · Married on 05/22/2010

I really enjoyed working with Vivi. For my wedding she did my hair and makeup, all 5 of my bridesmaids' hairstyles, and makeup for 2 bridesmaids. This took about 6 hours total, including touch-ups at the end with Vivi working very diligently the entire time. I don't think she ever took a break!

I was quite happy with my hair and makeup. I had a trial appointment where Vivi took plenty of time figuring out colors and styles that worked for me. I asked for lighter makeup for the actual wedding (so my freckles would show through), and she was able to do that -- it looked just the way I'd hoped. I loved my hairstyle, too -- I showed her some pictures of the "feel" I wanted, and she created it. And my hair stayed put and looked great all day. :)

My bridesmaids didn't get as much TLC, of course, so their hairstyles weren't as perfectly crafted, but they looked beautiful and their hair stayed in place for the whole wedding and reception, including dancing. I think we were all very happy.

Other "pros" -- Vivi came to my parents' house where we were all hanging out and getting ready. Her prices were very reasonable as well.

My only "con" might be that after the trial appointment I felt rushed into putting down a deposit for the wedding day. I know that this was because Vivi had other brides interested in the same day, but I am the type of person who likes to sleep on a decision, so it felt stressful for me. But as it turns out, hiring Vivi was a good decision!

Sent on 07/16/2010

MakeuphairV2 - Berkeley,CA's reply:

Thanks to you, I have changed my policy to a window of 72 hours to make decision on booking MakeuphairV2 after the trial . I am just glad that at the end you were completely satisfied with the results. Hope you are doing well Karen :)

Karly · Married on 08/27/2011

Vivi did my make-up and hair for my wedding in August 2011. She also did makeup and hair for my bridesmaids and mom. Everyone really loved their look and I got a lot of compliments on my look as well! Even the photographer said it looked really nice and photographed well. The make-up really lasted all night which was great because I didn't have to waste any time during the whirlwind of a night touching up my makeup. Vivi struck the right balance between perfection and timeliness. She spent a lot of time making sure that everyone looked great and did not rush through the job--but at the same time really stuck to the schedule and did not fall behind at all. We were ready right on time and so did not have to stress, rush in the end, or keep the guests waiting. I would definitely recommend Vivi!