Main Course Reviews

35 | New Paltz, NY

35 Reviews for Main Course

I whole heartedly, without reservation, recommend Main Course for weddings.

We had SO many compliments that the food at our wedding was exquisite and by far the best wedding meal that our guests had ever had. We really enjoyed the meal ourselves.

We had a mostly vegetarian meal with a fish entree, although we did have chicken, beef, and lamb in the appetizers (which were sooo pretty). We chatted with Bruce on the phone a few times while developing our menu, and every time he had no shortage of creative ideas. His approach to cuisine is very inventive, and even though we love to cook and dine ourselves, I sometimes had a hard time envisioning some of his ideas. But then it all came together at the tasting, and I was truly grateful for his creativity and the depth of his knowledge. It's rare that wedding catering challenges you and provides flavors you haven't had before, but Bruce is a true master of his craft and we really appreciated that.

Main Course really, legitimately practices farm to table cuisine -- it isn't just a trend with them but a guiding ethos for sure. The produce used for our wedding meal was as fresh as could be, veggies at their peak flavor, cooked perfectly.

Main Course is expensive, but the service we received was outstanding. Our coordinator was Amanda, and I was extremely impressed by her patience, organization, and thoughtfulness. I don't think we could have had such a beautiful wedding if it weren't for Amanda helping us through the planning process. She is truly professional and excellent at her job, and I can't say enough good things about Amanda.

All in all, I'd say Main Course is 100% professional, very creative and inventive, artful, elegant, modern, tasteful, sophisticated, conscientious... They really made our wedding a huge success and accommodated our specific menu requests, our custom cocktails, our custom cake, table settings, so on. It was all fantastic.

THANK YOU, Main course!! 5 Stars!

Sent on 06/10/2015

Jordan · Married on 08/02/2014

Main Course was incredible. Bruce and Heather were extremely flexible and worked with us to create a menu that catered entirely to our tastes. We love how they were able to integrate the menu with our theme and how well they were able to pull everything off using a facility that didn't have its own kitchen.

Sent on 08/17/2015

Kristen · Married on 05/18/2013

Heather and the Main Course team were phenomenal. From the moment I spoke to Heather on the phone, I knew that I wanted to use Main Course as my vendor. I had interviewed several other caterers in the Hudson Valley, but none were as accommodating and genuine as the service I was provided at Main Course. I first met with Heather in person at the restaurant for my tasting. My then-fiance and I were offered a cup of tea and led to an intimate back room to try our food and pick different tableware/linens for the event. The food was an instant hit and Heather and I corresponded many times to follow to adjust the menu, the rentals, and coordinate meetings with my florist. Heather was my day-of coordinator on the day of my wedding and she did an amazing job running my bridal party through the rehearsal and directing all of the vendors and guests on the actual wedding day. She kept me calm when I was at my most stressed and was thoughtful enough to leave some food in our cottage so that my husband and I could enjoy some of the dinner and dessert we missed while we were mingling. I have received so many compliments on the food, which guests thought was amazing (especially the pulled pork) and I could not be happier with the service we were provided on that day. If you are looking for great food, reliable service, and open communication with your vendor, Main Course is the vendor for you!

Sent on 05/26/2013

tricia · Married on 09/24/2011

Cannot give enough stars for Main Course. Bruce, Heather and Michelle are wonderful. The food is amazing. Their guidance in wedding planning is an added bonus. We learned so much. Heather is a pro. I still have guests from our wedding raving about the food. We stumbled upon this caterer while having lunch at their cafe and are so grateful we did. They directed us to a handful of wedding venues we never heard of and found our venue of our dreams. We love the team and food at Main Course so much that we had my birthday party catered from them and again, guests are still talking about the food!

Sent on 05/08/2012
  • Christie

Christie · Married on 04/29/2016

Great vegan menu! We worked with Amanda to coordinate everything and she is a pleasure to work with. She has a great eye for detail and is quick to respond. Bruce (owner) met with us to help refine the original menu planned- he helped fine tune the flavors and feel of the menu and then we organized a tasting. He and Hogan walked me through the tasting and the food was beautifully presented and anywhere adjustments needed to be made, they would bring me out another plate. We were slightly nervous serving vegan food to our non-vegan family - we knew the food would HAVE to be good and filling to please everyone. At our dinner, everyone was raving that the food was the BEST food they have had at a wedding EVER. One couple even commented- with all the times they dine out, they have never had food this delicious! Main Course arrived in a timely manner, worked in a neat, professional fashion- Alana and Hogan worked our event and were AMAZING - the best we could have asked for! Main course even cleaned up meticulously and did not leave a trace. They were the utmost respectful group of people I have ever worked with. From start to finish- The Main Course team is a class act!

Sent on 05/02/2016

Laura · Married on 09/21/2013

3.5

Bruce and Heather are true professionals. We were throwing a real DIY wedding - in an empty barn space for 225 people. Literally everything had to be brought in, from catering, to booze, to lighting, bathrooms, heaters, and so on. We started out with one caterer and soon realized he was out of his league with the amount of work that needed to go into our event. We switched to Bruce and could not have felt more taken care of. Not only was the food incredible, but he and Heather took control of the event and the evening went off pretty much without a hitch. They were crucial in coordinating major pieces of the night.

Before the night even ended guests were raving about the quality of the food and the glowing reviews continued throughout the main course and even the next day through the brunch.

The price may be slightly more than some competitors - but they are totally worth it. Our wedding truly would not have been as seamless without Bruce and his team.

Sent on 09/25/2013

Liz · Married on 09/14/2013

Bruce and Heather were with us from the very early stages of our plans, helped us to find our venue and craft the weekend we had in mind. From our pig roast rehearsal dinner to the formal sit down wedding and a fantastic Sunday brunch, they impressed us and our guests at every turn with fantastic food and service. They are also much more than a caterer and helped us craft our floorplan, recommended great area vendors, and Heather worked closely with us to manage every aspect of our weekend. We were married at a barn without a kitchen so we suspect there were a few hiccups preparing a meal for 220 people at once. The food came out about 25-30 minutes later than we had expected. Our guests didn't seem to mind but had we known, we would have planned our timeline a bit differently. Overall, we were happy to have them along for the weekend. We couldn't have done it without them!

Sent on 10/18/2013

Rebecca · Married on 05/30/2010

Main Course comes highly reccomended. The food they served was unbelievable - I was told by many of our foodie guests it was the best wedding food they have ever eaten. We served a local, organic farm to table menu. The highlight of the night - an ice cream sundae bar featuring homemade lavendar ice cream made by the chef with lavendar from his personal garden - unreal!

Sent on 06/22/2010
  • Becky

Becky Henderson · Married on 10/26/2019

4.2
      3.0

Our guest still rave about the food

We were paired with Emily and truly loved working with her. Our overall experience was good not great. The price per plate is a lot but it also includes linens/ glassware and the staff gratuities and tax. Our frustrations were mostly were that we did our tasting in the spring (we got married in the fall) I wish they had told us it would have been better to do it in season (which sounds obvious) but when we got to the tasting a lot of the items we chose weren't available so we didn't get the full effect) this was annoying bc we went into the wedding a little "blind". Our biggest frustration would be the alcohol we had a bunch of different tastes within our small wedding and it seemed very difficult to have an flexibility in this. I (the bride) wanted moscato and no one else really drinks this so we had to bring our own bottle which to me is absurd. We paid thousands of dollars for the food and I had to bring my own bottle. I felt that they could have accommodated this much better. Last minute I was nervous that it was going to be cold out so I did a last minute substitution for hot apple cider which had to be served in special mugs so there was an extra charge (which was fine) I was grateful for the last minute change. However my guests said that it wasn't really hot despite the mugs. I wish I was able to try it. I felt that welcome beverages should have been brought to the bridal party when we were waiting for the ceremony. They do a private moment after the ceremony Where we were able to enjoy our signature drinks and appetizers. We did family style for dinner and that worked out nicely. The cake tasting was nice and we loved how our cake tasted. They say they are flexible with their pricing but when we asked for different pricing there didn't seem to be much flex. The food was delicious and I would recommend them. I just wish I knew some of the finer details and the whole bringing my own wine was an annoying detail.

Sent on 12/07/2019

Kristin · Married on 07/12/2014

3.0
      2.0
      1.0
      3.5

Overall, I thought that main course did a great job as caterers for our wedding. The food and the day of the wedding went very smoothly. The weeks months and days leading up the event were full of frustrations. There were certainly pros and cons to the whole experience.

Pros: The food was excellent, the staff was very kind and went out of their way to help out me and my husband the day of the wedding.

Cons: Too much staff. I had asked for less staff and friends of mine repeatedly saw staff members doing nothing. Knowing you're paying for unnecessary staff doesn't really put you at ease. In addition, my husband and I only got to try 1 out of the three passed appetizers. I would have loved to know how the others tasted.
    The cost-- When you are paying for a wedding yourself you actually look at every bill. I was charged $22 per child under the age of 5. I just thought this was a low blow. I was already paying so much and there is no way a 3 year old is eating $22 worth of food.
    The extra supplies. I was sent a spreadsheet of things that I needed to rent or purchase. Many of these items were things I thought a centering company would have in the first place, but then to my dismay, most of these things were not even used!! I totaled up about $250 in rental items that sat in a corner unused. Really disappointing.

This was my first experience with a catering company, so maybe my complaints come from inexperience and I love the Main Course marketplace, but overall I can't say I had a great experience with them.

Sent on 07/31/2014