Lipstick N Lashes Reviews

Lipstick N Lashes 6
Lipstick N Lashes 7

Brittany · Married on 10/04/2009

3.0

Joanna was very professional and provided an end result that fit my individual style. She was incredibly flexible when it came to scheduling my trial and coming to the wedding site the day of to do my make-up.

Sent on 11/11/2009

Erin · Married on 09/06/2014

3.5

Sarah did hair and Genna did makeup for my wedding in Sept 2014 when it was hot and humid still.

Genna had to leave my wedding to work on someone else's wedding and wasn't able to finish everyone's makeup, but Sarah totally stepped up and saved the day!

I didn't do a trial as I live out of state, but I showed Sarah a few pictures and she created something absolutely stunning! Better than I could have imagined.

On your wedding day, you don't want to stress of worry, and Sarah was so incredibly calming and just a wonderful person to be around!

Sent on 09/17/2014

Christina · Married on 02/08/2014

2.0

All my girls and myself looked gorgeous that day. I loved my hair and make up, and it came out just how I wanted myself to look =) I couldn't of been happier with how everything turned out. My mother in law ACTUALLY liked her hair (2 of her children had already gotten married and she HATED her hair for both of those weddings).

Cons:
    1) I notified my stylist on the Tues before the wedding (Sat) that my mother, who I had listed as getting her hair done, wasn't cleared to fly, so she wasn't going to be there. My stylist said that it was fine and that I wouldn't be held to her services. Friday night I am in bed when I receive an email at pm at night, from my stylist saying that due to my mom canceling that we need to bump up the flower girl's hair. My hair and make up was to begin at 6:30 am the next morning....

The flower girl is 4 years old and had already been put to sleep based on the fact that she was getting her hair done at 8:15, not 7:30. My stylist and I exchange emails, and she even said "I have been busy with clients all day and did not have time to address the last minute change with your mom. This was my first free moment to contact you and I certainly don't want you to feel stressed but I also did not want to add down time charges if necessary." I was upset by this because I told her Tues afternoon about my mother, I just didn't find this acceptable, nor did I appreciate having to stay up the night before my wedding to figure this out.

My mother in law told me to let her handle it and I went back to sleep. My mother in law tried calling, emailing my stylist to have the stylist speak to her instead of myself so that I could sleep. She got no response. Instead I wake up and see an email stating that the second stylist would arrive at 730 to start on my mother in law. My hair and make up was planned to start at 6:30, the stylists did not arrive till 645-650.

Even though I loved how everything turned out I would not recommend them.

Sent on 03/09/2014

Lipstick N Lashes's reply:

Thank you for your review Christina and we appreciate your feedback. However we do not feel that your take on the situation is fair considering the almost 70 emails that you sent in a 3 week period changing things, upset that your girls were complaining that none of them wanted to start as early as we needed to and were giving you a hard time, stressing you out and upsetting you. We tried our best to make you feel at ease and take some of the stress away from you. We did arrive on time to your mother in laws house but with the snow banks in the road in Cohoes, we had to drive around several times to be able to first of all, find the entrance to the house which was not clear and second to get a parking spot on the narrow, snow covered roads. Asking us to send out one stylist at 6:30 in the morning to style one persons hair was not something we were willing to do at your last minute request. Although your review of our services was consistent with our company and we do appreciate that, we do not feel that your entire review is fair.

Jessica · Married on 06/05/2010

2.5

I'm very torn on my feelings about lipstick n' lashes.

Great at what they do. Just hope they get it all done.

I absolutely loved my hair and make-up. They look so amazing in all of our photographs and my hair actually stayed up very well (I have Asian hair which doesn't usually hold style OR curl very well). However, their timing was terrible. By the time my bridesmaids were supposed to be finished, 2 of them still hadn't had their toenails painted and one of them was in the process of getting her fingernails painted. And one of my bridesmaids who was scheduled to have a mani and a pedi wound up getting hers done the day before. So, they were behind schedule even with one less person in the line-up. And my fingernails never even got painted. It made for a very stressful morning and my photographer didn't have time to take all of the pictures she wanted to.

Sent on 10/20/2010

Martha · Married on 09/17/2016

2.0

The hairstylist who did my bridesmaids' hair was great - she worked to accommodate everyone's preferences, kept perfectly to the timeline, and even had time to go back and do some touch ups here and there for any curls that felt on the girls - she was set to begin at 10am and she was ready with a girl in her chair at 10am. I actually feel kind of bad for her because the makeup artist that was also supposed to begin at 10am was 36 minutes late (she was doing the makeup of 8 girls and hairstylist was doing 5 girls), and I was fuming and definitely asked her about 6 times where the makeup artist was. At 10:36 the mua shows up Starbucks in hand, in no rush and with no explanation, and then proceeds to take over an hour on the first bridesmaid. I looked down at my phone and almost had a heart attack when I realized she had 7 more girls to go with only about 3.5 hours left. So I walked up to her and asked whether she was aware that everyone needed to be ready by 2. She said she was aware.... Except by the time I got in the chair we were already beyond 2pm. She then rushed through THE BRIDE due to the fact that we were incredibly late. In the end my groom was standing around for an HOUR waiting for me for our first look. Not cool at all. It stressed my whole morning out and honestly if I knew then what I know now, I absolutely would not use lipstick and lashes, which is sad because the hairstylist was great and joanna was extremely responsive and flexible from the moment I signed the contract. If the shoe were on the other foot and it was I who was running late, Joanna could have legally charged me per the contract - instead, I respected their time and made sure every girl figured out what order they would be in. Clearly certain parts of her staff do not respect a bride's time and the fact that it's an already stressful day, which I personally see as a death knell for any vendor who works a wedding.

Sent on 09/19/2016
  • User2720046 · 2+ years ago

3.0

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Lipstick n' Lashes is very reasonably priced compared to other wedding hair and make up vendors. Less than a week before the wedding Joanna attempted to change the number of stylists we agreed upon, she also (although I believe it was an innocent oversight, or I hope so) changed the pricing - thankfully, I had record of our agreements and she quickly went back to what we originally agreed on. Although this was cleared up quickly, it left me with a bad impression and stressed me out considering it was only 5 days before our wedding (and that I had coordinated 10+ girls for hair/make up so I really didn't want to deal with changes at the last minute). The day of, we had one stylist arrive on time and one arrive late - this wasn't a huge deal because my bridesmaids were pretty laidback and just going with the flow...plus, we did have a solid window of time. But, you really don't want to worry about vendors being late the day of your wedding. Overall, all the girls were satisfied with their hair and the stylists were friendly and professional. The make up artist arrived late - again, not a huge issue - but still unprofessional. She was however extremely friendly and set me at ease. I felt as though some of her supplies, including make up sponges were not clean...it made me slightly uncomfortable. That aside, I think she was a skilled make up artist. Overall, as I mentioned, to me, you get what you pay for here...it was reasonably priced service and they traveled to us with little additional cost.

Sent on 10/17/2012

Luda · Married on 08/25/2012

2.8
      3.5

I had them do my bridal party makeup, as I had already booked with another vendor for hair. I showed up at their location in Ballston Spa for my trial run, which I had scheduled a few weeks before, to find out that the makeup artist (Suzanne) that was going to do my makeup the day of the wedding had canceled on me to go to an event with her daughter and didn't have the time to call me and let me know. So at that point I was obviously irritated that I had just left work early and drove 45 minutes for my appointment to find out she cancelled on me. The owner Johanna was there and said that she would be doing my trial run instead, and said that they had "similar styles". I really wish that I had just walked out the door, but because my wedding was less than a week away, I didn't have time to reschedule. In all seriousness, what is the point of a trial run if it isn't even the same person who is going to do your makeup the day of the wedding!! Isn't the point of a trial run to perfect what you are going to have for your wedding day? I spent $80 with tip for wasting my time. The day of the wedding the airbrush makeup that Suzanne applied on me seemed like it was a little too light (my face was lighter that the rest of my body) and I told her it felt too light. She advised me that she wasn't done yet, and told me she still hadn't put the bronzer on. Lets just say that even with the bronzer it was still too light (and I wasn't even the only one who noticed). My makeup was half way off my face mid-way through the wedding, and my sister reapplied what she had at the reception. My Lancome 24 hr foundation that I normally wear would have fared better than the airbrushing she did on me. Overall I was definitely disappointed with the whole experience.

Sent on 10/03/2012

2.6
      2.0

Messed up several of the girls hair and refused to fix it but still made them pay. They wanted their hair blow dried straight and it ended up frizzy and sticky and looked awful. Two of them had to re-do their hair. They were not courteous about making adjustments. Showed up with only one blow dryer and were not prepared.

Sent on 12/10/2014

Lipstick N Lashes's reply:

We make every effort to ensure that every one is happy with our services and we NEVER refuse to fix anything that someone is not happy with. We take any type of feedback be it positive or negative as constructive, but this review does not in any way reflect how we operate. We find this review to be somewhat insulting.
  • User2871977 · 2+ years ago

2.6
      3.0

Joanna & Angela were great people, the problem is, I don't think they were as experienced as they could have been for a wedding service. I brought my bridesmaids in here for mani/pedi combo, and the same person that did our hair did our nails. Nails were done in like 15 minutes each- so not much time was spent on them. Some of us had french mani's and the polish was wearing off by the end of the day, when my wedding wasn't until the next day. We even had polish on our fingers that wasn't wiped off. Hair/make up was not that great either on the wedding day. 3 of the 5 people that chose to have their hair done ended up taking it out and changing it before the ceremony started. As the bride, I had to have her change my style 3 or 4 times before we started, as I just wasn't overly happy. I am normally not a bridezilla, but $85 for hair and $70 for make-up seemed steep for everyone. My mother had short hair to her ears, and the fact that we had to pay 85 dollars for them to hair spray it, I wish I had done it myself. They would not adjust the price accordingly- which on my behalf I should have tried to negotiate before hand. Either way, not that great of a service, but they were friendly/nice people in person. However, on another note- every other one of my vendors did so well at making me feel like my suggestions were important. Everytime I called or emailed to ask a question or make a suggestion, I left feeling like an idiot. I said to my friends and family many times- wow I lucked out with such great vendors except hair and make-up. Now I know why, when I needed to book hair and make-up, every other place was booked, and this business was the only one left.

Sent on 06/30/2013

Erica,
    We are sorry to hear and are completely blindsided by this review from you. When you and your girls arrived for your manis & pedis we welcomed you with drinks and food platters and you all even purchased "friendship" bracelets from our boutique in rememberance of your day there. As for the same person doing nails and hair, that is what a cosmetology license is. It allows you to be licensed in more than one area of the beauty industry. As for responding to your emails or phone calls, I believe that we had one maybe two at the most, communications and if you left feeling like your questions were dumb, that was certainly not our intention or how we treat our clients. I did happen to notice on your check that you wrote on the wedding day that in the memo section was written "amazing job, thank you". Unfortunately, that check bounced and when I called you, you said absolutely nothing about being unhappy or having any concerns. That is why we were really taken by surprise by this review.

Cristina · Married on 06/30/2012

1.0

I unfortunately had a very frustrating experience with Lipstick N Lashes. I booked hair for myself, both moms and 6 bridesmaids. I also booked airbrushed makeup for myself, my mom and 3 bridesmaids. We had 2 major problems with this company on my wedding day. First, the makeup artist showed up without her airbrushing equipment even though it was specified in my contract. Airbrushed makeup was VERY important to me and was the major reason why I chose this company. Very disappointing.

Second, I was not notified that July 4th holiday pricing was in effect for my June 30th wedding. Imagine my surprise (and embarrassment!) when myself and my bridesmaids were being asked for a higher rate than initially quoted! The makeup artist was quite understanding and kind about the mishaps but one of the two hair stylists kept harping on about it being a holiday weekend. Very rude and unprofessional.

I also wasn't 100% happy with the way my hair turned out. I had asked for loose, flowing curls and ended up with tight spirals. I was pretty upset about this too, but after the first two incidents this one seems minor. I will state that after the wedding Joanna gave me a partial reimbursement, which was very kind of her. But at the end of the day, it just does not rectify my horrible experience.

Sent on 11/09/2012

Danielle Canora · Married on 08/17/2019

1.4

Terrible customer relations!

I am not one to put down anyone or any business, being a business owner/manager myself. However I am very upset in their customer service. As far as the actual service, I went for my hair trial and I did not get what i was looking for, but i will not discredit the stylist for her service. i was also told I would see Sara.. that was not who was there for me.upon my arrival
    From the beginning, there was a contract, I was told by the owner the contract and deposit of $210 was to hold the date on my wedding. This was in April. I had my trial done May 11th, which happen to be my cousins wedding I was attending. When I went to pay I was told cash only, which I didn't have on me. This place doesn't operate like a typical salon, which confused me when I got there. So I said I will call the owner to figure this out. When I approached the owner about this I informed her I was not satisfied with the trial. It didn't give me confidence that my hair would turn out the way I was hoping for on my wedding. I even set very clear pictures of what I wanted and what I received with in one hour of it being styled. I have a lot and long hair which could be hard to do unless you have the correct products and knowledge. I happen to be a licensed cosmetologist as well. I know what it takes for my hair to be done and hold a style. I was uncomfortable that I saw styling product brands that you buy at a drug store being used to do my hair.
    I asked if she could please take the $80 for the trial and an additional $20 tip (total of $100) out of the $210 deposit and refund me the difference. Instead she charged my card the $100 without a credit card authorization form filled out for that transaction.
    That's when things turned nasty. She was beyond rude and kept saying refer to the contract... which I did!, and in the contract it states there could be a forfeit of the deposit should the contract not be satisfied, and second there would be a $60 charge per person should it be cancelled within 90 days of the wedding.
    Now here is the thing... I was not a satisfied customer with the service provided I lost hope and confidence that I would have what I was looking for, for my wedding. Even more I tried to cancel this contract 97 days out. A week outside of the time line stated in the contract. So now I am out $310 on a trial that didn't satisfy my expectations and a deposit was used to hold a date. I didn't even ask to be refunded the whole amount... they deserve to be paid for the time spent actually doing my hair and the tip.
    When I asked to be refunded the deposit or at least a portion of it she was EXTREMELY irrational, unprofessional & rude as a business owner. During this time keep in mind I'm stressing about the wedding and I'm just at a mental loss in dealing with someone that could care less about a potential customer.
    We came to the point where she said she will refund me should she be able to fill the date... she said being that its over 3 months it "shouldn't be a problem filling the date."
    As time got closer I checked in and she said the date hadn't been filled. With such a "wonderful reputation" how could they not book up!??
    So now its the day of my wedding and as I was having my hair and makeup done by real professionals... who happen to know of LIpstick & Lashes, bc everyone is local. They have heard other unfortunate stories regarding the owner in particular and the customer service.
    My mother decided to call to see what their availability was to get a blowdry for a wedding that day... and wouldn't you know it ... they were "booked solid" according to the woman that answered the phone. Now we knew from the start she would have never told me if she actually was able to fill the date, but all together it was just a poor terrible experience all around with this place but really the owner is just a selfish terrible person to do business with... as a business manager/owner I WOULD NEVER LET A CUSTOMER LEAVE MY PLACE UNHAPPY OR AT LEAST DO WHAT I CANT TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY CONTRACT OR NOT., as the owner you have the ability to make a customer happy or not.
    I have also learned that places like this have contracts for a "reason" and its to cover their poor business practices...

Sent on 08/28/2019
    Lipstick N Lashes 8
    Lipstick N Lashes 9
    Lipstick N Lashes 10

Danielle
    I’m sorry that you felt we did not take care of you the way you were hoping for but what we did do was offer you another trial at no charge. You waited a month to express your concerns then had your stepmom call us on your wedding day which was a shocker because she was extremely rude. We did absolutely nothing wrong but stand by our contract which you broke. 99% of the time we will resolve an issue that comes up but between you and your stepmom and the lack of class, there was no resolution you were going to be happy.

0.2
      0.5

I was very disappointed with the services that were done, I am the mother of a bride that lipstick and lashes had done. The quality wasn't so good, the stylist seem to not be as focused or interested in what the bride wanted.. And the prices didn't add up to the quality. I wouldn't recommend this place, and to look into other places before choosing this one. The bride was upset, the service was messy and unorganized. Not to pleased.

Sent on 11/05/2013