LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Reviews

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort 6
LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort 7
  • Karin

Karin · Married on 06/07/2008

My Reception was held at the LaPlaya Golf Club. It was so beautiful. The staff was so helpful and during the planning stage, called me every other week just to check up and say Hi! I was very happy with the finished product. Anne, Dining Room Manager, and Chef Cheryl did everything from arranging the tables just as I scribbled them out, to remembering to send my new husband and I on our way with a chilled bottle of bubbly to continue our evening at the hotel! IT WAS PERFECT! Everything was priced below what I had imagined. An awesome deal for waht we got in return! BRAVA!!

Sent on 07/29/2008

Gretchen · Married on 02/21/2015

We are so happy we chose LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort for our February wedding. It was one of the best decisions we made in our entire wedding planning process. Karen and her team at LaPlaya were exceptionally professional, flexible, competent and patient. The ceremony and reception were absolutely beautiful; the food was delicious; and the service was top-notch. LaPlaya is a gorgeous resort that puts a priority on hosting beautiful weddings. We couldn't recommend LaPlaya more!

Sent on 03/24/2015

Lillian · Married on 05/09/2014

La Playa Beach and golf resort offered everything we wanted for our wedding: beachfront location, boutique feel hotel, and poolside dinner.
    The staff is incredibly professional and service was outstanding for our guests and ourselves. Our coordinator, Julie Germer was organized, professional and so lovely to work with. We had an endless stream of emails and she didn't miss a detail! We had a poolside buffet dinner and we were able to customize our choices off of all the menus. Everything was delicious and our guests gave us many compliments. The grounds are beautiful and offered many great picture options from the beach, the lobby and ivy and lantern lane. I personally don't love the ballrooms here but if you have most of your event outside it's really elegant. My guests commented on how they enjoyed the 3 locations for our event: cocktail hour on the lawn, poolside dinner, and dancing inside the ballroom. The only drawback is the site fee. If you are having at least 100 ppl it's not so bad but for a small event like mine it significantly increases my per person cost.

Sent on 05/23/2014

Melissa · Married on 05/18/2013

Perfect day! I had always knew I would get married on Vanderbilt beach in my hometown of Naples. It was between the Ritz and LaPlaya, and I'm so happy I chose the right place! The service at LaPlaya is five star five diamond but without the commercial chain atmosphere. I wanted to rest assured with the "tried and true" dynamics of a luxury chain, but I didn't want to feel like a number or have other weddings the day of my big day. LaPlaya provided both.

Melanie was my catering manager and she is fantastic, really cares about what is going on with your day and takes the time to work with you and get to know you as a person, not just as her client.

The food was fantastic. People are still mentioning it. The venue is beautiful, and the service went off without a hitch. I am hard to please and also notorious for being a hotel snob, but this venue was impeccable. Four stars for value because this is not a tight budget venue and does not portend to be, but you get what you pay for, and I think the value was excellent - a small price to pay for the wedding of your dreams!

Sent on 07/11/2013

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort's reply:

Hi Melissa! Thank you for your review.. We are thrilled to hear your wedding at LaPlaya was everything you had hoped for.
    Please stay in touch and let us know when you are ready to come back for a visit.
    LaPlaya

An amazing place to have a wedding. Melanie was so helpful with everything. Beautiful wedding venue with beautiful reception options. Great food! Made all my daughter's wedding dreams come true. Thank you!

Sent on 07/15/2013

Kelly · Married on 11/10/2012

The service at La Playa was absolutely impeccable! I received so many compliments on how beautiful the site and location was. The staff throughout the whole day was phenomenal. Our event coordinator from the hotel, Melanie was also very helpful!

Sent on 05/24/2013
  • Anna

Anna · Married on 12/19/2009

LaPlaya is truly an amazing place. My wedding was a huge success and fairly stress free due to the people that I worked with at the hotel. They were professionals and took care of everything. If you are looking for an upscale beach side venue that isn't pretentious (like the Ritz)- this is the place for you!

Sent on 12/28/2009

Allison · Married on 05/09/2015

3.5

La Playa is -hands down- the perfect place to have a destination wedding! We had 60 guests travel great distances to join us for the weekend and everyone just raved about the resort and location. The resort is beautiful, the setting is breathtaking, and the service was impeccable. Everyone from the valets, to the front desk staff, to the banquet captain were friendly and helpful.

We had our rehearsal dinner on the gulf lawn and the wedding ceremony on the beach/ballroom. The sunsets were magical. The food was terrific. There was even another wedding going on the same weekend and they did a great job of keeping the events separate.

I cannot thank Karen Marchand enough for her patience and expertise guiding us through the whole planning process. She was so responsive and friendly; every request was handled quickly and pleasantly. I felt like her priority throughout the whole process even though I'm sure she was dealing with several brides! She truly made the planning so much easier.

Sent on 07/08/2015

Jill · Married on 05/10/2013

3.5

The LaPlaya is an amazing place to get married. The resort is beautiful, and the staff is extremely attentive and professional. I worked with Karen, and she was always highly responsive to my questions, and made the process easier for me, especially for being from out of town. Our guests had such a good time, and I could not have picked a better place to get married. Sure, it is a bit pricey I think, but they are also flexible to help you come up with a menu that is aligned to your needs and budget, and the resort is so beautiful, it is all worth it!

Sent on 06/10/2013

LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort's reply:

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear your wedding was fabulous. Hope to see you back again at LaPlaya soon.
    LaPlaya team

Karen Marchand in Catering was wonderful to work with! The food was great and the venue beautiful!

Sent on 07/19/2014

Melissa · Married on 03/16/2013

La Playa was absolutely the right and best choice for our welcome party and wedding reception. We did not hold our ceremony at La Playa.

We looked at the Ritz, The Naples Beach and Golf Club, the Waldorf and La Playa. The setting at La Playa can't be beat. It is right on the beach and has an old Florida, vintage feel, while being totally updated and luxe.

Melanie Delaney was fantastic! She is a true professional who balances her business savvy with realizing how important this day is to the bride and groom and going out of her way to make sure they get everything they want. She is also fantastic at making recommendations and giving honest and direct feedback on vendors. She was there all weekend and made sure they were executed flawlessly.

I gave a lower rating on value and flexibility. On value, it's only because this is not a cheap place to hold a wedding. You get what you pay for, and to me it was worth every penny. On flexibility, you are somewhat limited by the La Playa menu, chosen cake vendor, linens, chairs etc. However, these were not issues for us. The menu was extensive enough and the food was fantastic. The cake vendor, Ella's cakes, is the best in Naples and the included cake in the package was perfect for us. We brought in all of our own rentals - chairs, linens, table cloths etc. It was one of the most expensive parts of our budget, but it was very important to me. You do not need to bring in extra lighting. The chandeliers and some candle light create the most perfect glow.

Our welcome party on Friday night was at North beach. It was amazing. We brought in a steel pan player, had heaters and food stations. They even created a special signature drink for us. We had lanterns and a show valet leading out to the party. It was the perfect introduction to our wedding.

Finally, all of our guests that stayed at La Playa were very happy with the choice. The resort is so special and I hope your experience is as good as ours!

Sent on 07/10/2013

Hello Melissa!
    Once again, congratulations!
    Thank you so much for taking the time in sending us such a nice review. We are ecstatic to hear everyone enjoyed their time at LaPlaya and we look forward to seeing you back with us soon.
    LaPlaya

Joanna · Married on 04/17/2010

Great Location! For the price you get high class service, fantastic food, and very accomodating staff! My only complaint would be the event planner left right after dinner was plated... not ideal for what you pay for but it was mostly during dancing so it didnt matter.

PERFECT

Sent on 05/27/2010
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 09/03/2011

3.0

La Playa was great. We loved getting married there and the site is gorgeous. Karen is wonderful to work with. One of the priciest places in Naples, but worth every penny because the site is just so gorgeous. Would reccommend it to anyone.

Sent on 09/25/2011

Liz · Married on 06/18/2010

3.5

I had my wedding at LaPlaya and it was truly beautiful. The only aspect I would have changed would be the decision to move it indoors during a rain storm. I would have like a bigger voice and option for planning an indoor ceremony in case of rain. Otherwise, the food was incredible, the service was perfect, and so many of my guests have commented on the venue. I would truly recommend LaPlaya to anyone considering a classy beach wedding.

Sent on 08/31/2010

Joan · Married on 05/23/2015

4.2

We had a beautiful event and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful setting. The food was absolutely amazing! Everyone loved it.
    I felt like the cocktail hour food was not as plentiful as I would have liked. What we did have was superb.
    The room looked beautiful and the servers were great in general. Be aware that your guests will be carded! Ok I can see that that may be an issue at some weddings but we were never told this and it continued all night. We had a large group of Europeans and they didn't even know what they were being asked. We had only 2 teenagers at our wedding and they were well aware of that from the start. Should have been handled differently. We had prearranged for our own wine to be used and that was all mixed up, but all was really good in the end. Had a weather concern at the start and it was handled beautifully. Our bride (my daughter-in -law) missed out on the lantern alley set up which was disappointing. Overall a gorgeous venue with outstanding food and no better view in all of Naples for a wedding.

Sent on 06/24/2015

Kristin · Married on 12/21/2014

3.5

I had my destination wedding at La Playa. It is a beautiful venue and definitely has that WOW factor. There were 3 other weddings at La Playa that weekend, so I didn't feel super special and attended to, since there were so many other brides. Also,The food was so-so for how much you pay. We didn't get a lot of compliments on the food. And the only other thing that was kind of a bummer was the wedding coordinator turned on the florescent lights and kicked everyone out of the ballroomroom at 10:25, our reception was supposed to end at 10:30...it was an abrupt way to end our evening. It almost felt like they wanted to get everyone out of their ballroom so the staff could go home. I was a bit ticked about that especially after how much money we were spending. Besides those few things, i'd recommend this beautiful place to anyone planning a destination wedding!!

Sent on 02/01/2015

Kristen · Married on 07/20/2018

3.5

My wedding at La Playa was pretty good for the most part. Unfortunately we went through 3 wedding coordinators and received some incorrect information throughout the year of planning and miscommunication. I then had issues with billing, either billed in correctly for my wedding planners room, front reception unaware that my wedding and rooms were charged to the master card from the wedding, so we ended up paying the full room and fees at checkout, and then at the massage, my husband is uncomfortable with a full body massage so we asked for only back and shoulders, but they both ended up giving us full body. Other than that, my wedding planner through Runway Events did phenomenal at making sure everyone was on the same page, took care of issues, and my ceremony and reception ended up being fantastic! Betsy with La Playa also stayed with me after my 2 wedding coordinators had quit and she said even if they hired someone, she wouldn't pass me to them. She did a great job with communicating, given all the miscommunication from previous employees.

Sent on 07/31/2018

3.6
      1.0

Pros
    La playa is absolutely beautiful
    The food is amazing
    The ballrooms are spacious

Cons
    La Playa is outrageously expensive- more than 300 per person (with alcohol) for dinner and total of 50,000
    La playa promised to have a shoe station for guests when they came off the beach-which they did not have on the day of my wedding
    La playa promised to have ushers to help guests get to the ballroom-however there were none and all my guests were lost
    La Playa is NOT flexible and will not let you change anything if there are ANY issues that arise. EVEN if there is a storm on the beach and you have to move indoors-you will pay 4000 dollars more for the outside space.
    On my wedding day my guests didn't want to stay on the beach anymore because it was cold and windy and La Playa did nothing to help the guests or offer them an inside area.
    Although it was a beautiful wedding, La Playa did not come through and considering their price this is unacceptable.
    Melanie at La Playa is also very rude and hard headed and very difficult to work with.

Sent on 01/09/2013

Dear Bride,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your destination wedding experience at LaPlaya. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our food and our beautiful venue. We place a great value on exceeding the expectations of our wedding clients and guests.

While your review is not representative of the generally consistent positive feedback we receive from a Laplaya wedding, we do understand we can always improve and I apologize that your experience was not perfect in all aspects. I apologize that our price structure was a point of contention with your experience. We conduct numerous studies throughout the year on our competitive set to ensure we are priced properly with the luxury beach experience we provide. Our team strives to provide a value-added wedding experience for our guests, and I apologize you did not feel your experience was commensurate with the cost. Our package includes five hours of premium bar, five butler passed hors ‘Doeuvres, Salad, Entrée, Wedding Cake, Wine Service with Dinner, Champagne Toast, and a complimentary premium beachfront accommodation for the bride & groom on the wedding night, all this starting at $200 per person. Given the particulars of your wedding, and a extra 60 people added to the event, I can emphasize that the cost increased beyond original expectations.

In regards to your comment about the lack of a “shoe valet”, you are correct, it wasn’t at your cocktail hour, and again, we apologize. Typically the shoe valet is set-up for our beach ceremonies and with your ceremony at a different location, it was overlooked.

I apologize that there was confusion regarding ushers and getting your guests to the correct location. We did have ushers actively directing guests to your event. On this evening, many guests in your wedding enjoyed the bar at Baleen restaurant instead of your planned event, so coordination of this became difficult.

We are sorry to hear that you feel the resort is not flexible. One of the key points that makes LaPlaya a unique experience is that we can provide additional flexibility over our competitors given our independent boutique venue. As a business, however, there are binding agreements that we cannot change as an event approaches. This includes items such as releasing you from your outside space commitment which was held for 8 months in your case. I understand your frustration with this, but making a major change to space that you contracted within 2 weeks of your event is detrimental to our business and we cannot provide flexibility there, as discussed during your contract negotiations.

In regards to your comment about your guests not wanting to stay on the beach any longer; once the sun went down on that particular night, it did become cooler on the beach, and it was our banquet captain that came to you with the suggestion to move inside a little earlier, which he made happen quickly upon receiving approval to do so.

We typically receive rave reviews on the catering manager you mentioned in your review. I sincerely apologize that you did not feel this way. I have shared this review with her and will follow up as appropriate to ensure all of our guests receive the LaPlaya experience we are known for.

In closing, I apologize that clearly your event was not as expected. We take our reviews very seriously, and we understand we can always improve. I have shared your review with our entire team so we can monitor areas where improvement is needed, and ensure clear communication throughout the entire event process.

Should you wish to discuss any of these issues further, feel free to contact me directly at 239-598-5716.

Karen Marchand
    Director of Catering

1.2
      2.0
      0.5
      1.5
      1.0

I had my wedding at La Playa due to the high quality of service they offer. We really liked our wedding planner and decided to go for it. Unfortunately after the wedding planner left and we entered the reception things went down hill. The communication bw the wedding planner and banquet manager was simply not there. Not enough seats for my guests and an UNwillingness to simply accommodate them quickly and move forward. The banquet manager kept approaching me to complain...THE BRIDE! Then, they said there was a few extra guests they had to charge me for (even though I ended 20 people under head count) and they followed me to the BATHROOM and waited for me a outside the door like a probation officer waiting with the papers to be signed to get MORE money! How embarrassing. It was my wedding and I missed so much due to them following me around and making me deal with all of these problems. They couldn't even wait until later, they kept pestering me during the whole reception. How awful. Worst part was...they blamed it all on me! Saying I should have done a better job with counting my guests. So sad, too expensive for this level of professionalism. Don't do it

Sent on 05/19/2014