Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum Reviews

Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum 7
  • alabarre

April · Married on 06/06/2010

3.0

We had our ceremony at LV. Beautiful site. They were cooperative with changing the allowed time for a wedding ceremony as ours started earlier than generally allowed. They are pretty strict however when it comes to the times for which items may be delivered and or picked up (ie florist, decorations, tent set up, etc). It was not a problem though as I understand it is a museum. : ) They allowed us to reserve two areas (indoor and outdoor) weather permitting!! We were very lucky to have found such a great site in Lancaster that worked with us!

Sent on 06/10/2010

3.5

Great price, and you are able to choose all vendors individually. However, time can be challenging due to the museum being open every day until 5, even on event days.

Sent on 07/07/2015

Mark · Married on 07/20/2013

3.5

Landis Valley Museum is a quiet and beautiful spot to have a wedding ceremony and reception. The Yellow Barn and attached courtyard are stunningly beautiful. Linda was very helpful both Friday and Saturday to make sure everything was in order on her end. I hope to come back to Landis Valley again in the future and Ill proudly tell everyone that it is where I married my best friend =)

Sent on 07/31/2013

Alli · Married on 03/20/2015

4.2

Landis valley firehouse was a gorgeous setting for our romantic garden themed wedding. We did most of the deco ourselves and landis is very DIY so it worked out that way. We worked directly with Jen who was great at answering any questions we had as well as accommodations to special requests. Our only complaints were the bathrooms in seperate buildings as well as the immediate clean up directly after the event (that night) which was kind of annoying. Otherwise a great venue! Beautiful location and awesome staff!

Sent on 03/29/2015

Jessica · Married on 09/02/2012

2.0

This is an absolutely beautiful venue for a wedding reception. It can be dressed up and look quite romantic and elegant (even though it is a barn) or it can be given a much more rustic look. This venue is very much a Do It Yourself venue, do not go in expecting them to accomodate your every need. They will work with you and answer questions for you have but other than the structure and beautiful lights it its really up to you to make this space your own. They do not have a kitchen on site which can limit your caterers (we used Rettew's who was fantastic). It is a gorgeous space but also keep in mind that they are a museum and you have to work with them knowing that. They work with you to make your day successful but they are a bit restrictive on when you can get in the times you can be there and if you have real candles you need a candle watcher there as well. Weddings are something they do but it's not their sole purpose, if you go in realizing this and are a bit flexible you will have a good experience and will be rewarded with a one-of-a-kind reception locale. We had a wonderful experience and would definitely recommend them.

Sent on 09/20/2012

3.5

Absolutely beautiful sight. We used the Yellow Barn at the museum and couldn't have been happier.

Sent on 12/14/2014

Megan · Married on 06/12/2015

Yellow barn is such a beautiful place to have a wedding!!

Sent on 06/14/2015

3.5

We got married in May are were able to set up Friday evening and all day Saturday which was very helpful as we did a lot. There was some confusion with the day attendant and what he told me I had to do with the carriage verses what was discussed at my pre-wedding meeting, but the evening attendant smoothed it out and followed my wishes. We had our ceremony in the firehouse and reception in the barn. It started thunder storming as soon our ceremony ended but despite that the carriage helped get guests from the firehouse to the barn faster in the storm. Unfortunately we never got to ride it b/c it was wet but we really appreciated the driver sticking it out. Overall everything looked nice.

Sent on 05/25/2015

Meredith · Married on 12/06/2014

Review broken into 2..

Part One of Two

This is such a unique and beautiful venue for a wedding! You really cannot find a more lovely place for the price. Our guests kept talking about how gorgeous it was. We used the Firehouse for our rehearsal dinner as well as cocktail hour and the yellow barn for our reception. Both places are so gorgeous that you really don't need to add much! People have noted that you can't do anything until 5:00pm. I guess they mean you can't start any of the wedding activities until 5. The museum is open until 5pm. They do, however, let you set up the day before and let you do pictures during the day while the museum is open.

There are a few things I would like to note.. This is a do it yourself venue, but the attendant who was there for our wedding was so incredibly helpful with tearing down. Also, while we were setting up, Joyce came in and was so helping with getting things done! Everyone is so nice. There is, however, a lot of miscommunication. One example- We paid for horse drawn carriage rides and we were told Friday night when we were setting up that they are covered, so our extremely rainy wedding did not cause a problem for these. We were doing pictures Saturday about 30 minutes before our ceremony started and a man came up and told us the rides weren't a great idea as the wagon WASN'T covered and it was too rainy. It was quite a bummer to be told this right before the wedding when we were excited for them. We know we will be refunded, but it would be nice if everyone knew and could all give the correct information.

Sent on 12/09/2014

Meredith · Married on 12/06/2014

3.5

Part 2 of review. (First half probably below!!!)

It was hard to get in touch with people sometimes. I found that emailing was a better means of communication. There really weren't any huge issues for us, but I can see how people noted this in prior reviews.

Our hugest problem- Our wedding was so rained out! I love rain for pictures, but it was impossible to get anywhere to get pictures because the venue is not landscaped to accommodate any rain. There is absolutely no drainage. I understand this is an historic location and they want to keep this location as true to its roots as possible, but I really think something needs to be done about this. Rain shouldn't cause such an issue. Weddings aside, rain causes crazy messes at this venue. There was literally mud everywhere and my dress is ruined even skipping out on all of the picture locations we scoped out prior to our wedding. We didn't even get to use the beautiful outside locations as we wanted to. Also I felt horrible our guests were tracking mud into the lovely buildings.

Overall, Landis Valley is a beautiful wedding venue. I think they should hire a specific wedding coordinator-just one! So that all of the noted issues are resolved. This person should be available for set up and during the weddings. The price is more than fair. People have said they charge for everything. We looked at numerous venues. You pay for these things everywhere, but at Landis Valley it is more than reasonable.

I truly believe that Landis Valley is one of the most gorgeous venues I have ever seen. I do not try to complain, but I know people want to read reviews and get as much honesty out of them as possible!! Nothing I noted above ruined our amazing day and we can't be more thankful to have been able to use such a gorgeous place for our wedding. Thank you to everyone at Landis Valley!!

Sent on 12/09/2014

Lauren · Married on 09/19/2014

3.0

Landis Valley is a beautiful and perfect location for a wedding and reception. The day of my event everything went off without a hitch and I couldn't be happier with the final result. That being said, the communication leading up to the event was rather unsatisfactory. I was directed to 4 different people at different times and found it difficult to create a good working relationship and avenue of communication. But in the end it all worked out. I would recommend Landis Valley to anyone looking for a rustic wedding venue.

Sent on 11/19/2014

3.8
      3.0

Pros: You really can't beat the beauty of the space--both the Yellow Barn itself and the grounds. All of our friends and family raved about it, and it really did look spectacular. It's also incredibly photogenic--especially with the twinkly lights inside the Yellow Barn--so you'll have gorgeous photos to gaze at for years to come if you get married here. We would give the space itself 5 stars for sure if there was a category for that here.

Cons: They know what they've got and they do gouge you a bit on the price. They charge extra for EVERYTHING. You want the chairs put around the table rather than stacked on top? It will cost you. You want to have your ceremony on the nice shaded lawn? It will cost you. You want to have candles at your reception? Gotta pay for the candle watcher. It really adds up if you're not careful.

Also, be aware that if you're unlucky like us and there's a wedding on Friday (the day before yours) and Sunday (the day after yours) you have very little time to set up and tear down your wedding. This was a major source of added stress for us, since we did a lot of the work ourselves (with help from close friends). I guess I wouldn't complain about this if it wasn't for the fact that we were paying a higher rate for the Saturday wedding. It would be nice if they'd offer a bit of a price break in these cases.

That said, I'd probably still choose to have my wedding here if I were planning it again today. It was just SO BEAUTIFUL!

Sent on 08/19/2012

Kelly · Married on 09/09/2006

3.8
      3.0

Beautiful facility. The only downfall is that you can't begin ANYTHING (including vendor arrival) until 5:00 pm. Perfect setting for a rustic/laid back wedding. The staff are very friendly and helpful, too.

Sent on 03/25/2009

Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum's reply:

This is actually not true. We allow you to set-up starting at 3:00 pm AND ALSO THE DAY BEFORE IF THERE IS NO OTHER FUNCTION THAT DAY. We are much more generous with our times than most venues. Thank you, Joyce

Christina · Married on 11/05/2016

3.6
      3.5

I loved having our wedding here but they are very strict about everything. I actually work in the wedding industry so I know that my claim is valid. Regardless, I was very happy with the outcome of our wedding. When using this venue, the bride and groom need to do basically every aspect of the planning and prepping, so keep this in mind.

Sent on 02/03/2017

Sara · Married on 08/28/2010

1.5
      3.5

I would recommend the site for the right type of person. For us, the Yellow Barn was great because it is a beautiful location and ended up being a great option for my price range. It’s cheaper than many similarly scenic locations we considered because you basically do everything yourself and can select catering and alcohol options for your budget. However, you DO have to do everything yourself, so pick a caterer who knows the site well and will manage all setup on the day of (Festive Board Catering in York did a really good job for us).

We had a really difficult time ever hearing anything from the two women at the museum. We had to be really organized and proactive to take care of things ourselves. The guy they had on site that day was just kind of there to watch the stuff. He’s not going to provide you any services and he wants to pack up at get out of there right at 11.

That said, we had a wonderful wedding and received many compliments from our guests. The site provided a scenic backdrop for photos and had ample space for people to socialize outside of the dance floor and dinner table. We didn’t feel like anyone was watching over our shoulder (indeed, we never even met Joyce or her assistant), so if you’re the independent type that doesn’t need an onsite coordinator or frequent communication, then this is a beautiful site for a price you won’t get at a place with more services.

Sent on 09/13/2010
  • vvvictori.a

Victoria · Married on 10/04/2015

3.5

This location is beautiful, our reception was lovely, but the staff leaves a lot to be desired. We planned our wedding from out of state and repeatedly had problems getting in contact with their wedding coordinator. There were several inexcusable miscommunications (including availability of a staff member at the handicap rest rooms the night of our event), and some of their policies are a little outrageous for a wedding venue.

Sent on 10/19/2015

Angie · Married on 09/24/2010

2.0

Well I have to say I'm a bit hesitant to review if it is going to be commented on. That's a little intimidating.

It's a beautiful venue! EVERYONE commented on it. It was a perfect site for us b/c we wanted something beautiful and relaxed. We wanted some place where we could provide our own food. It was a blank canvas and we were able to set things up and do things our way, mostly.

We would have loved to celebrate later into the night, but figured out to have an after party at a friend's house.

The candle watcher...watched the cupcakes and chased people away from them prior to us cutting the cake topper. The whole reason we had cupcakes was so that guests could get it when they were ready for dessert. I didn't know about it until later into the evening. We ended up having a ton of leftover cupcakes and I have to wonder if that contributed. Also, she was being paid to watch the candles...stay away from the cupcakes you knew nothing about them.

We had our celebration on a Friday night so that we could get the less expensive rate. So for that, it was well worth it. Overall it was the perfect venue for us and our family and friends. The Yellow Barn is amazingly beautiful.

We worked with the other consultant and she was great. We emailed frequently and she kept me on track when she needed paperwork or direction.

It was a beautiful day and I would do it again. Great pics!

Sent on 02/04/2011

Andrea Kirby · Married on 10/03/2009

3.2
      3.0

The Firehouse at Landis Valley was perfect for my wedding and I really lucked out with timing as the building just got a fresh coat of interior paint! If you are looking for a casual themed wedding, the LV Museum is great. My biggest issue in working with them is that I was dealing with 2 different women and conflicting information. If I emailed with a question, I would contact both of them, but only one would respond. Similarly, I would receive emails from only one of them at a time and at the end of the day, I felt as though they weren't communicating with one another and I was on the other end getting confused. The venue was great - perfect for our needs, but take my advice and demand to only work with one staff person! Also, I wish they would have done a better job of cleaning the bathroom facilities prior to my event.

Sent on 11/12/2009

Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum's reply:

You know, it's hard to understand this. We received numerous emails with questions that were responded to immediately. We bent over backwards trying to accommodate their every need and request. They wanted a port-o-potty, they were able to set everything up the day before, we broke up the time for the wagon ride to accommodate them, the attendant came in early to put the hay bales out for them (which was their responsibilty) and all of her questions and concerns were answered in a timly fashion. The attendant for the reception was also one of the person's in the office that worked with her and did everything to accommodate their every need. As far as the comment about only one person getting back to her, of course we communicationed in the office regarding her correspondance and only one person would get back to her, why would she want two people to call her about the same thing. I am saddened by this.

Melissa · Married on 05/14/2011

2.6
      1.0

We had a wonderful wedding at Landis Valley. I would recommend the location but with words of caution about the starff.

Landis Valley is beautiful and having ceremony and reception space in one spot was a priority for us. We were going for a casual elegance vibe and this was the perfect backdrop. It also provides adequate space for the caterer as well as space under the shed's overhang for cocktail hour should it rain (it sprinkled on our day). We were able to set up a large tent to accommodate all of our 120 guests and it was really lovely. We also chose this venue over another because it has better acoustics, so if you're looking at hiring a band I would take this in to consideration. As a previous reviewer mentioned the bathrooms are gross. They function though and the day of I didn't really notice them.

My communications with Joyce leading up to the wedding were great. She was responsive and gave me all of the information that I needed. We were able to set up the day before since there was no event which was great but when we showed up we were bombarded by a frantic, hostile Joyce. The tent rental company had not confirmed their arrival time and came too early, so she turned them away and asked that they return later. I received a call at 3pm (which is the earliest you can begin setting up) and she angrily asked when they would be there without informing me of what happened earlier. She also showed annoyance at the fact that we had not let her know we wanted them to set up the chairs and that it would be an extra charge. We had communicated this verbally before but not on the rental sheet which I understand but the way she handled it was unprofessional. I asked my finance to communicate with her while I set up I didn't see or hear from her again. I think her responses to these reviews says it all.

Additionally, I was approached by both the candle watcher and someone working the horse-drawn-carriage during my cocktail hour as I was speaking to guests to express minor concerns. I felt that they should be trained how to handle those situations should they come up again (ie. the candle watcher is the only one who can light the candles, but the caterer hadn't put them on the tables yet. What I would expect is that she speak with the caterer but she approached me and asked me where they were instead).

I am so happy that we chose this location, and I would do it again but wish that I was more prepared for the day-before day-of interactions with the staff. I hope that someone is reading these reviews and takes the time to speak with them so that people continue to choose (and enjoy) this wonderful venue.

Sent on 05/24/2011

Kelli · Married on 06/05/2010

1.0

Don't get me wrong, this place is BEAUTIFUL, but unfortunately I just can't recommend them. The service was terrible. The ladies in charge give different responses to similar questions and they must not have a centralized location that they keep stuff on each wedding, as every phone call felt like step one all over again.

One time I emailed a question and also asked about visiting the property again in the following week or two and I got an email more than a month later asking me if my question had ever been answered.

I agree with a previous poster that the bathrooms are a sight to see. They may have been cleaned, but what they need is an update. They smell (even with the air fresheners I brought in) and they get backed up. Yuck!

We also had a major run in with them the week of the wedding as we were consistently told something that turned out to be a false statement. Of course, if you ask them, they did nothing wrong. That's all I will say about that.

I just felt like a paid A LOT of money for four walls (not to mention the chair and table fees on top of that) and received no service but rather a lot of stress. We got some beautiful, scenic photos, but if I had to do it all over I would go somewhere else. There are cheaper places in the area that do not require you to do everything yourself.

Weddings must be what keeps that museum alive, cause unless it is a special event, there are very few people there.

They were flexible with my rehearsal and the carriage rides, so that was a plus. Also, the carriage driver was awesome. The day-of on-site guy? Yeah, not so awesome.

P.S. I realize that Joyce responds to these reviews, which is a shame because it will deter people from leaving reviews. In fact, I almost did not leave a review because of this, however, I decided to leave a review despite it.

Sent on 07/27/2010

Beth · Married on 04/05/2009

2.0

Landis Valley is a beautiful back drop for a wedding. However, keep in mind this is a state run museum and not a privately run venue. As a result, the lack in customer service is evident. In our experience, we were repeatedly led to believe that repairs would be completed in time for our special day which were not. Understandably unforeseen circumstances are always a possibility and a vendor has the ability to compensate the client for this. Unfortunately, this was not the case for us. Make sure to get promises in writing before you sign a contract. You do not want to pay top dollar as we did for a half par facility and experience last minute stress trying to figure out a solution to cover up someone else's mistake.

Sent on 05/08/2009

Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum's reply:

We have hundreads of great reviews on our venue and customer service. We strive to provide superb service. Unfortunately it rained that day and the bride was not happy. A few light strings didn't work at the very last minute and it would have been impossible to change them on wedding day. It seems like they just wanted a reduction in cost and this did not warrant that.