La Marina Reviews

La Marina 6
La Marina 7

Elena · Married on 09/23/2017

Fairy Tale wedding!

My husband and I got married at La Marina on 09/23/2017 and we could not be happier!

About a year ago, a family friend of ours recommended La Marina after visiting dozens of other venues for her own wedding. We quickly booked an appointment to see it and it was love at first sight. Side note: My husband is a professional wedding DJ so he has a little inside knowledge and has seen many venues around the world so this instant feeling of connection was important to me.

Although we did run into a few hiccups during the planning process as they replaced management about a month before our big day, the new management was professional and followed through on all of our previous negotiations, as well as, exceeding expectations!

The new Director of Events, Nancy, and her staff went above and beyond to make sure our wedding day went perfectly. Our goal was to have a laidback party type of reception with no formal sit down dinner. Her attention to detail was the only way to make it possible. During the final month of planning she walked us through every detail of the night from food selection to the color of the throw pillows on the furniture.

Everything was executed perfectly! We are excited to recommend La Marina to all of our friends and family looking to get married in NYC!

Sent on 10/30/2017
    La Marina 13
    La Marina 14

Michelle · Married on 11/21/2015

3.0

My husband and I got married at La Marina in November 2015, and we really loved our wedding. The setting is absolutely beautiful. La Marina has a great outdoor area for weddings, but it was too cold for us to be married outdoors, so they set up a separate part of the restaurant for the ceremony. I didn't know how it was going to look going into it, but it took my breath away when I finally saw it. We didn't need a lot of crazy centerpieces for our tables, because the setting really speaks for itself.

The food was amazing. I didn't get to try any food during the cocktail hour unfortunately, but dinner was delicious. I tried all three entrees, and they were all wonderful, and the guests all said that they were very impressed with the food.

My biggest problem however was that the restaurant was bought out between the time we booked in October 2014, and November 2015 when we got married, and it was not a smooth transition. I didn't even know that the management had changed until two months before the wedding, after trying to get in touch with someone with questions. Furthermore, it took the event coordinator NEARLY TWO WEEKS to answer many of my emails, which was incredibly stressful when there were fewer than two months until the wedding and decisions needed to be made.

Sent on 07/08/2016

Exasperated Bride · Married on 01/01/2019

1.0
      1.0

Traumatizing Experience

I was supposed to have my dream wedding at La Marina. My fiance and I fell in love with the beautiful venue the minute we walked into the space. When I say it is a jaw dropping view, it really is. The water is right there, and there is a great view of the river and the George Washington. The outdoor area is lovely as well, with lots of seating and a very nice looking dock where boats and other things are. The sand and beach area also give the whole space a very beachy-laid back summer vibe. We loved the dining area, it is all windows that can be *opened* up, which we really loved as well. I am a sucker for natural lighting. Everything was presented to us in a very lovely, straight forward way, and although everything was a tad pricey we felt like it was our dream place so we went for it. We figured, with all of the things included it would be totally worth it. They asked for 50% deposit up front, and only gave us 5 days, but we were able to work something out which my fiance and I really appreciated it.

After a few weeks of giving them a check, my fiance and I started hearing a lot of rumors about things going on at La Marina from friends and others who work in the NYC night life scene. We reached out and heard radio silence from the owners, but were contacted by the event coordinator who assured us everything was fine. Then the health department gave them a failing grade, and suspended their liquor license. We were brought in to meet in person and had all of the penalties broken down to us...simple things such as an exit sign light being blown out, items being on a 4inch shelf instead of 6...we were assured everything would be fine. We left feeling concerned, but trusted the process. Then their liquor license was suspended. We were assured that would be restored as well. But the rumors persisted. ONe of the owners was abruptly kicked out and then appeared on a radio show talking about gentrification and white people who are taking over Inwood being responsible for the closing of La Marina. We were assured that since La Marina is closed for the winter anyway, that they hadn't technically been shut down. Everything came crashing down on Christmas Eve where we were informed that La Marina had filed for bankruptcy. After some time we finally received a generic email from the owners stating that people could get their money back eventually but that it would have to be through the courts.

I am traumatized. There has been poor/vague communication which has ultimately tainted my wedding planning experience. We are now down 10K, which we have no idea if/when we will be getting any back. We have been forced to search desperately for a new venue, with 10K less in our budget than we did before. The financial hardship that we will endure over the next few months to make up the additional 10K will be crazy. All I can hope is that my new venue makes things as easy as possible moving forward.

Sent on 06/19/2019

Nailah · Married on 04/28/2018

1.6
      1.5
      0.5
      0.5
      3.0

Be wary. La Marina is a beautiful venue and the staff is incredibly professional but their contract has a tremendous amount of loopholes and after consulting with the Attorney General’s Office (yes. This issue went that far.) it seems as if that is done intentionally. La Marina requires a 50% deposit, but does not consider the date pursued to be locked in and the contract to be binding unless that deposit is paid in full. I paid roughly $10,000 towards that deposit (much less than 50%) and did not see any explicit language that suggested that monies paid towards the completion of a fully paid deposit would be forfeited. 6 months out from the wedding and less than 2 weeks after sending the check, we decided to select another venue. La Marina is a beautiful venue but they are slightly dishonest about their dining room capacity. I have screenshots of their website’s previously advertised capacity, the communications I had with a previous employee and then the (albeit very nice) communications I had with their current staff. They don’t add up and we feared that this venue could not truly accommodate our seated reception service needs but did not want to walk away from a significant pay day during off season. La Marina not only refused to returns the funds (like...any of it. None). They refused to initially even offer a credit! Again, be wary! With 6 months in advance, and several offers on the table, they definitely stand to make back whatever we walked away with regarding our “date”. But alas, they chose to make the decisions that they did. They refused to acknowledge the better business bureaus attempts to mediate, and even the attorney generals office found legitimacy in our claim. You do not want to work with a venue that cares more about screwing you over than doing business ethically!

Sent on 01/04/2018