Kurtz's Beach Reviews

116 | Pasadena, MD

116 Reviews for Kurtz's Beach

Lauren · Married on 05/27/2011

3.0

Kurtz's Beach has an amazing location! The day was wonderful and the people there were very helpful and responsive to our needs. Before the wedding, it was hard to get a hold of someone to ask my questions. Since they have been doing weddings for so long, they have a very good system. But since they have a good system, there isn't as much flexibility in doing things differently.

Sent on 06/20/2011

Cecilia · Married on 05/16/2014

4.2
      3.0

I was extrememly late to the wedding! They were able to make sure everything still ran smoothly. They don't allow you to taste test the food which was nerve wracking for me up to the wedding date. Did not need to be worried because everyone loved the food and several even helped themselves to seconds! Kurtz really is the best value for your money and they have even recently upgraded their establishment so it's even more beautiful!

Sent on 02/23/2015

Thank You!
    F.Y.I.-we now offer tastings weekly!

Stacy · Married on 10/26/2008

3.5

my wedding was so beautiful.. everyone complimented me on the wedding and the ceremony. I loved it personally!! It was a beautful site and if you have the right weather it adds even more. I had the pefect October wedding! The weathr was just right, and the crowed was just right too. PLEASE IF YOU ARE LOOKING AT THIS PLACE BOOK IT ASAP!

Sent on 12/09/2008

Carrie · Married on 07/01/2017

Great venue! We were very happy with our wedding!

Sent on 12/08/2017

Kurtz's Beach's reply:

Thank you Carrie, it was a pleasure working with you both!

Stephanie · Married on 09/07/2013

3.5

I recently was married at Kurtz's Beach. The venue is so pretty, the staff was very well organized and the food was great! I was a little nervous because they do not do tastings and I read some of the reviews in which some people felt the staff was a little pushy/rude, however the food was very tasty and on my wedding day the staff was very professinal and helpful and I did not have to worry about a thing! No day of wedding planner is required- they handled EVERYTHING- even busseling my big dress so my bridesmaids didnt have to figure it out!

I do agree with some posts, if you are a huge do-it-yourself person and like to have control of every little detail this venue may not be for you, as they are pretty set in their ways as to the flow of the day. However, this being said you can still make it your own (we did some DIY projects such as a photo collage, card box and program basket to name a few which their staff placed nicely) and the organization and experience of the venue makes your day relateively easy and stress-free to plan!

I only heard wonderful things about the venue from my guests and everyone kept commenting on how beautiful the venue was! I am very pleased we picked Kurtz's Beach for our wedding!

Also, shout-out to Donna- she did a lot of the day-of organizing and was great! Thank you!!!

Sent on 09/29/2013

3.0

We had a lovely, perfect wedding here. They were hard to get a hold of for scheduling, and they are VERY set in their ways. Luckily for me, I wasn't that picky, so I was ok with going with the flow. For example, they like to keep a very strict schedule and were very forceful in suggesting we cut the cake or leave the venue at our certain times (which was fine since we wanted to stay on schedule, of course). I didn't have to worry about a thing because they take care of EVERYTHING, from setting up the favors and working with your vendors. It was like having a wedding planner. It was great for our purposes but if you're picky about details you might not like them.

Sent on 06/25/2012

Kimberly · Married on 09/19/2009

3.0

It was a very nice venue, they are big about running on time and having a schedule which is a good thing but certain things they wanted you to do at specific times.They are alittle difficult to get in touch with and don't always call you back. Overall I would recommend this place to anyone it is beautiful and the food is very yummy, and they made the place beautiful with my decorations.

Sent on 10/19/2009

Kellie · Married on 09/14/2007

3.0

Our wedding ceremony was held outside for 30 minutes on a porch that overlooked the Chesapeake Bay. The view is amazing despite quality of neighborhood. However, the way that Kurtz's sets up for the ceremony, there is a wonderful view nonetheless and the attendees face a gazebo on corner over looking bay.
    The reception had wonderful food that people would enjoy without over formalizing the atmosphere. Chicken, ziti, cheese, veggies, fruits... are just a sample of what is offered.

Sent on 10/05/2007

3.8
      3.0

Place was beautiful. Inside and out!! Easiest decision of our whole wedding was to have it here

Sent on 02/21/2015
  • I

Christie · Married on 05/14/2010

3.8
      3.0

My husband and I were actually married 3 months before we had our reception at Kurtz's Beach on 8/14/10 (we'd had a destination wedding in Jamaica on 5/14/10, and wanted to have a 'local' reception with friends and family that were not able to join us in the Caribbean.)

Why did we select KB for our local reception? I wanted to find a place on a large body of water to give my guests that feeling they had 'gone' somewhere, and I couldn't find anything in Pennsylvania (where we live) that was just right. So, my mother remembered that she had attended a wedding here previously, and it was on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay.....so we checked it out during an Open House and we booked it in the Fall of '09 for Spring '10. And what a gorgeous place it is! We were thrilled with how budget-friendly an option it was for us, too! :)

The only negatives I can speak of were the following: it was ABSOLUTELY difficult to get in touch with anyone there (even AFTER we had booked), and just know that there is NOT a room/bridal suite to get ready/change in available whatsoever! And some of the catering staff, out amongst our guests, looked like they'd just rolled out of bed, with sloppy ponytails, capri pants, and were wearing socks & sneakers! I looked up as dishes were being cleared by these individuals and I was speechless. I was a more than a bit embarrassed.........just being honest. I know it was a daytime reception, but come on, you know? A little decorum/formality, please?

Overall, the location is beautiful, and the facility is gorgeous inside if you go with the "Bay Ballroom" -- but if you want to feel totally pampered and like a queen for the day, your expectations may not fully be met here. I'd still recommend Kurtz's Beach for the awesome value (because the food is delicious and the owners, when you can get a hold of them, that is, are really great) but just know that it may not be your 'dream come true'.

We still had a great time and so did our guests. :)

Sent on 06/24/2011

Justin · Married on 06/19/2009

3.6
      3.5

A very nice view of the Chesapeake Bay! Nice elegant deck. Huge octagon hall to sit 200 people with a chandelier in the middle with a round dance floor centered in the room.

Sent on 07/07/2009

Tamara · Married on 09/16/2011

3.6
      3.0

Kurtz's Beach was a beautiful location for our ceremony and reception. The value was great since we were looking for a location with an open bar. Everyone loved the food as well! The optional alcohol fountain and opportunity to change the beers at an additional cost were also nice touches. I loved having the ceremony on the bay at an affordable price.

The only thing I had a problem with was on the actual wedding day a bit disorganization. I had sepcifically typed out everything for them and somehow they still managed to send out my bridal party in the incorrect order. Granted this didn't ruin the night, but it was a detail that is going to be on my video forever. I also received a few complaints from people that a few members of the staff were a bit rude to them and pushy, which I wasn't too happy about. My husband said they even tried to push the line up and ceremony when his parents hadn't arrived yet!

The owner Tim was very accomodating to our changes and concerns prior to the wedding. He was a great guy overall! Turn around time for e-mails or call backs was usually 24-72 hours. Overall good location, I received compliments, just wish the attitude & issues didn't happen!

Sent on 09/23/2011

Caitlin · Married on 09/11/2010

3.2
      2.5

We had the ceremony outside and it was absolutely gorgeous! I got so many compliments on the view and the weather was so nice.

We usually heard back from the owner within a day or two of our calls.

Before the ceremony, I ended up feeling much more stressed than was necessary because the staff was upset that my guests were arriving early. I had to hear about it for about ten minutes from the staff, which really did not help me to stay calm. Once the ceremony started, everything kind of smoothed itself out.

I would recommend this venue as far as the view goes. However, the day was much more stressful than it needed to be because of the attitudes of some of the staff.

Sent on 01/19/2011

Desiree · Married on 08/22/2009

2.5

I really wanted to give Kurtz's a better rating then this but couldn't. I was not a happy bride the weeks leading up to my wedding. When we met with John (part owner) he was not flexible on many things.
    First I think Kurtz's needs to make some major upgrades to their facility. My d.j. was unable to use their "intelligent lighting" (aka lasers) because Kurtz�s wiring is so out dated.
    Second, I hired a vendor to hang lanterns and John nearly got into a fight with the vendor because he did not want anything hanging from his ceilings. John finally did agree to let him hang lanterns (which were not going to be attached with any tape, nails or anything that would hurt the outdated paint job). The lanterns turned out to be amazingly beautiful and I heard John is considering having Bobby come back to do more work... but who knows. John is very old school. Also, because the wiring is so old at Kurtz's when they tried to dim the lanterns it would blow a fuse! Really... it was just dimming lights!
    Third, I worked an entire year on creating a slide presentation that I wanted played at our wedding. John kept trying to get us to play it in the back room with the food, on a revolving timer. That was not at all what I wanted and it was frustrating trying to explain to him that I wanted it to be apart of the wedding.
    Fourth, I really wanted chair covers and he wasn't even going to consider that option. I explained that I would hire people to put them on and take them off but he said he's tried it in the past and it didn't work. I've never heard of any vendors not allowing chair covers. I was not pleased about his unwillingness to work with us.
    Then it came to payment... my groom and I paid Kurtz's ahead and over paid in fact. John kept saying over and over how he HATES having to pay people back money. I sorta joked and said he could have invested the money but he still made us feel bad for paying AHEAD!
    I really thought the staff was wonderful. They worked very hard to have everything up and decorated. The food was so-so but it�s what you get for the price.
    I really wish I would have paid the extra and had the wedding at Celebrations. I really wanted a wedding on the water but it ended up raining anyways so it didn�t matter that it was on the water.
    I wouldn't suggest this place to anyone who wants a NICE wedding. It is an average location with average prices so you just get average. John is not very easy to work with so if you have special requests good luck!

Sent on 11/04/2009

Kay · Married on 09/24/2017

1.0

The staff was ok. Acted with attitude. They skimped on food and the food wasn't very good. The views were very nice for pictures

Sent on 10/07/2017

Hello Kay,
    Thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed that you had that experience while attending a wedding, taking care of all of our guests is our ultimate goal. We take pride in our attentive, friendly staff members.

0.5
      0.0

We were assured the food would be of good quality and quantity; John stated, "don't worry we've got this, we've been doing this for over 80 years". We left confident on March 17, 2016 (final amount due) visualizing a delicious home cooked meal using recipes served for over 80 years; a meal that our guests would truly enjoy. John did not deliver. Ran out of zucchini and squash - substituted with green beans - serving size was 1/4 size piece and only 4 pieces spooned on plate - this is not a serving size. Ran out of parsley potatoes (no parsley or butter seen on potatoes and very very small (gum ball size) and given in limited amounts; 4 - 5 as a serving) - substituted instant mashed potatoes, John said he put out both; at no time during the dinner did we or the guests we spoke to see both types of potatoes provided. Roasted chicken (overcooked processed chicken breast or turkey breast) according to guests was dry and given in a limited amount - the gravy was very thick with no taste of Marcella wine - Marcella gravy does not look like gravy from a jar; this did. Pasta crab bake - was very dry and had no cream sauce and was over cooked - it looked like just pasta and crab cooked in water. The guests and myself tasted old crab. John told us it was their signature dish and had been served for years made with back-fin or lump meat baked with pasta in a cream sauce. Many guests took one bite and could not eat it. I've lived in Maryland all my life and I know when crab does not taste right. I've been eating it all my life. Roast beef was very thin and resembled roast beef sliced deli meat and served with gravy. We did ask what type of roast was being used and was told top round roast. It just did not look like that at all. The appetizer displays was not what John told us it would be. We asked John if they would be a tiered...
    See rest of review: