Kelly Zhang Studio Reviews

1 User photo

Kelly Zhang Studio 1

Cassie Young · Married on 07/07/2019

Yuzu is awesome!

I was looking for someone who had experience with Asian hair and makeup (especially since I have monolids, it can be tricky for some who don't know how to work with our type of eyes). Yuzu was the one!

I did my trial on the day of my bridal shower (I wasn't too worried about people seeing me, my then fiance actually saw me too) and she gave me her professional opinion on my hair and makeup. She listened to my concerns and fixed the problem areas.

On the day of the wedding, my makeup and hair held through hours of wedding activities! My face gets oily quickly and none of the makeup, eye shadow, or eyeliner started fading or "melting off." I loved how my makeup looked on my wedding day!

Sent on 08/14/2019
  • Elin

Elin · Married on 05/04/2019

Jenny at Kelly Zhang Studio

Kelly Zhang studio is amazing! Jenny did my bridal trial and hair and makeup the wedding day and did an amazing job! My hair and makeup stayed on the whole day and looked great in pictures. She captured exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much!

Sent on 06/20/2019

Dieu · Married on 03/09/2019

One of my favorite vendors!

Veronica Lau did my hair and makeup for both my wedding and my best friend's wedding and I was extremely happy with her work. For my wedding day, I expressed to her my concerns about not wanting too much makeup since I don't usually wear any and she totally understood what I was going for - an elevated version of myself. I felt like a princess on my wedding day. The makeup was very natural but still bridal and my loose updo was perfect. When it came time for my best friend's wedding, she suggested I do a little bit "darker" with my makeup (basically just a little bit more eye shadow) since I was a guest and not the bride and I was hesitant but went for it and so glad I did. She also has a very funny personality and will be completely honest with you about what she thinks works and does not work and is spot on! I would recommend her without hesitation.

Throughout the booking process I coordinated with Caroline and she was so sweet and helpful!

Sent on 03/31/2019

Kimberly Marrone · Married on 12/21/2018

Absolutely perfect!

Oh my goodness I do not have enough words for how much I loved Kelly Zhang Studio and my experience for my wedding! I reached out two weeks before my wedding and received an instant reply from Caroline who was AMAZING throughout the whole process. She was kind, patient, descriptive, clear, and made everything from the trial to the day-of so easy! I sent my "inspiration" photos to Caroline for my hair and makeup and she matched me with an artist who fit my style and look the most :) She then sent me the Pinterest of my artist so I could look at her prior works of art! :) It was the best! Thank you, Caroline!

I went to my trial and fell in love with the studio! It's clean, so cute, and everyone there was so kind and energetic. My mom came with me and it was one of our favorite mother/daughter wedding experiences. My makeup and hair artist was Valarie. I LOVED her! She instantly felt like a friend. Beyond her awesome personality and warmth, her skills as a makeup and hair artist are indescribable. I felt so beautiful and amazing even on the day of my trial. She listened and was attentive to my wishes and implemented everything I was hoping for beautifully. They took photos of my hair and makeup and followed up with communication to determine if I wanted to change or alter anything for the big day :) I didn't! Valarie captured everything I was hoping for and more! My mom and two sisters were also getting their hair and makeup done on the day of the wedding, so Caroline sent a schedule for the big day and that made it even easier to organize and feel prepared on the day of the wedding :)

On the day of the wedding, Valarie just completely blew me away. After she was done with my hair and makeup, I looked in the mirror and cried. She made me feel so beautiful and confident. My husband also cried when he saw me for the first time and said "I am just taken away at how beautiful you are!" and I truly owe so much of that to Valarie and her skills! Valarie even sent me a message the following day that was so heartfelt and I truly believe her and I will be friends in the future! Before she left she gave me a kit with powder, my lip color, hair spray, and more to ensure that I had everything I needed to touch up for the rest of the day!

My mom and sisters had another artist, Mieko, who was equally as amazing! They felt transformed and were so happy with their hair and makeup! She did touch ups before she left and again, captured their desired look perfectly!

Overall, it was an amazing experience and truly made my wedding process and day so enjoyable, peaceful and exciting! I would 110% recommend anyone to Kelly Zhang Studios!!

Sent on 12/28/2018

Laura · Married on 07/28/2018

10/10! Would definitely use them again and will be recommending their services to EVERYONE I know. Valarie was amazing on my wedding day and prior to that, Cindy was great at setting everything up and handling all my questions and concerns. They helped make my day just a little bit less chaotic on my big day and my hair/makeup lasted the entire day and well into the night.

Sent on 07/30/2018

Jenny · Married on 07/15/2018

I've had a really wonderful experience with Kelly and her team. I had very bad experience with other makeup artist. But Kelly did a great job on me. I loved it! Kelly truly felt like my close friends with me on my wedding day. She is there in a very early morning, She is patience and calmness in dealing with the ordinary wedding stresses. I want to thank them for doing such a great job and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for talented makeup artists.

Sent on 04/11/2010

Gayle · Married on 09/16/2017

The whole team was very professional. I love Jennifer Tai. She made sure to keep in mind what look I wanted and made it into reality.

Sent on 09/30/2017
    Kelly Zhang Studio 2

Nicki · Married on 04/21/2017

The team at Kelly Zhang studio were outstanding from start to finish. From coordinating trials, to contract and pricing, to finding an artist, they made it easy and fun. They were all so professional and very accommodating. I had Jennifer Thai as my artist and she did amazing work. People are still raving about my hair and makeup. I highly recommend this studio.

Sent on 05/18/2017
  • I

Ilana · Married on 01/22/2017

I had Valarie as my main HMU artist and she is wonderful! I loved working with her. She was very responsive to me when I wanted to change things here and there, and was very helpful during our makeup and hair trials. On the wedding day, the entire team was so much fun and upbeat (great thing to have when you start HMU at 6 am!). Everyone looked beautiful, and they gave a really cute little kit for touch ups during the day. Highly recommend them! My HMU looked AMAZING!!!

Sent on 02/20/2017

Ellen · Married on 07/16/2016

Mieko Ito and an assistant came to our hotel to do make-up for the bride and bridal party. They were able to do hair and makeup for 6 people in 5 hours. Mieko did a great job with hair and makeup . She was easy to work with and very efficient. She was able to curl Asian hair (as long as you don't use conditioner for a few days) which is hard to do. She did a great job with makeup and I got a lot of complements. They are a great value, very organized, and easy to work with. We would recommend them to others in the future!

Sent on 03/22/2017

Jaclyn · Married on 05/29/2016

I had seen Kelly Zhang Studio mentioned in numerous wedding blogs, so I knew that booking them would be a safe bet. I ended up booking Jenny Ung as my hair and makeup artist for my wedding, and I am so happy with the results. I looked through so many photos of brides to look for hair and makeup inspiration, but nothing was quite what I wanted, so I ended up having to give Jenny a description of what I wanted, and she did a great job with it. The hair and makeup trial was really important, as I thought I wanted one look, but ended up having to adjust it because I changed my mind afterwards. Since I didn't have a clear picture of what I wanted and couldn't go back to the studio for a re-trial (because I live in Chicago), I was nervous that I wouldn't like my look on the day of. However, Jenny did an amazing job regardless. She has really great taste and was able to put together a perfect look for me! Plus, her fun and upbeat personality made the 3-4 hour sessions much more enjoyable.
    We also hired 4 assistants to do hair and makeup for my bridal party and family members, and they all did great. Everyone was friendly, easy to work with, and right on schedule. Maria, who does the scheduling, is very helpful and quick to respond to emails. Thanks to the whole team!

Sent on 07/19/2016

Cindy · Married on 05/07/2016

I've used professional make up service twice in my life before my wedding. Both times, I either cried my make up off in horror or excused myself to wipe off the atrocity on my face. After months of researching Asian make up artists (because that's what a girl with uneven eyes requires), I found Kelly Zhang Studio, and ultimately Mieko.

I had a make up trial with Mieko about 6 weeks out and, through no fault of her own, I totally changed the look for the wedding. I must have sent Cindy and Maria a novel of an email detailing what I liked and didn't like with visual references. They were so helpful in forwarding my feedback to Mieko who took it like a champ and even went out to Sephora to purchase products that aligned more closely with my requests. Although there were a few technical problems with my make up trial (smudges, eyelash popped off, waterline ran) I was confident that she would be able to fix it at the wedding.

The entire team was incredibly communicative and helpful during the booking process, trial, and the week leading up. On the day of the wedding, Mieko and her assistant Lisa arrived about 20 minutes early and were ahead of schedule by 30 minutes the rest of the day. They took care of 1 bride, 1 groom, and 7 other ladies (make up only).

When my aunt's eyelash started falling off, they were fixed it as many times as they needed to. They were able to work with me when I requested my make up to be done first (for a 3pm tea ceremony) and then hair later (for the 5pm wedding). Mieko was so calm and accommodating. Never once did I hesitate to ask for exactly what I wanted because she remedied it immediately.

Something that couples should consider is make up for the groom, which Kelly Zhang Studio offers. It only took 15 min and he looked like himself but flawless—they smoothed out his complexion, covered blemishes and under eye circles, and made sure he didn't look washed out or shine for the entire night despite the hours of dancing.

Sent on 06/03/2016
  • Kim Rubin

Kim · Married on 03/26/2016

I found out about Kelly Zhang Studio from my wedding planner who recommended her and her team very highly. After looking through some of her before and afters online, I was sold! I booked my wedding day hair and makeup trial with Kelly on the day of my engagement photo shoot. My mom booked a hair and makeup trial with one of the other stylists. The studio is so cute and chic, we felt instantly at home and completely pampered when we arrived. We were both blown away with our finished product! Kelly is incredible with both hair and makeup. I felt perfectly polished and beautiful but not overly done-up. My mom looked amazing, too! We decided to definitely book Kelly and her team for the wedding day. I knew my mom, my bridesmaids, and I would look incredible.

On the day of the wedding, Kelly and two of her other stylists arrived. They got right to it. Kelly began on my mom and the other stylists worked on my bridesmaids. They were quick, yet thorough and everyone ended up beautiful and perfect! Kelly is so sweet and has a very calming demeanor which meant a lot to me on that day. She did my hair and makeup after everyone else was done. She paid attention to every detail, every eyelash, every brush stroke. I ended up looking the best I have EVER LOOKED! Thank you, Kelly! I felt so beautiful that day. The makeup and hair stayed put ALL day and ALL night! Through the sun and sweat and all the dancing! Not only did we all feel so beautiful, we all looked great in the photos. So glad to have chosen Kelly and her team. They are true hair and makeup artists!

I was so impressed with her salon during my hair and makeup trial, I have actually continued to go there for regular haircuts and color! It will be my go-to salon from now on for sure!

Sent on 06/15/2016

I had Leanne for my wedding day and she is just wonderful. I loved my trial and my wedding day hair and make up. She came to the hotel early to set up, so she could start right on time. I highly recommend this studio and Leanne.

Sent on 12/14/2015

Dorothy · Married on 11/15/2015

If you're looking for makeup & hair services with an easy booking process, personable staff, & highly trained artists who use quality products, then look no further than Kelly Zhang Studios.

My orig. MUA from another company bailed so in my search for a replacement, I made a spreadsheet to figure out who offered the best value for all the services I’d need (as any true planner/smart shopper would). Although they weren't the cheapest, I really liked their work & Kelly's responsiveness.

I shared my Pinterest with her to give her a sense of the look I wanted. She then suggested artists that were available for my date that also had expertise in the style I wanted. I reviewed their portfolios thereafter & chose to go with Jennifer Thai for the trial session.

Jen was attentive/knowledgeable. I asked for 2 looks: an updo & a half-up/half-down do. I was so in love with BOTH of my looks from the trial that I booked her for my wedding on the spot. Also, Maria followed up promptly with my Before & After pics & to see how the look held up for the rest of the day.

The booking process was easy & hassle-free! They didn't try to upsell me (like other vendors). They’ll assign an assisting artist to help you stay on schedule if you book 6+ services. I highly suggest this. Services I booked: bridal makeup+hair, makeup for 3 bridesmaids & 2 moms.

Jen Thai & her assisting artist, Veronica, arrived 30mins early to set-up. We started at 8:30am & finished at 1pm. Jen recreated my look from the trial PERFECTLY. I had a few dark spots from old zits that she covered up. She made my skin FLAWLESS & I was a GLOWING, BEAUTIFUL BRIDE!

Jen gave me touch-up kit all labeled for my convenience. Honestly, I only needed to touch up my face once & my lips twice. My look lasted til the very end (10pm). My mom hates when I wear any makeup at all but she said it looked light/natural. All of my friends & family were fans as well. I highly recommend them to ANYONE, not just brides!

Sent on 01/08/2016

Chiara · Married on 10/10/2015

I booked my hair and make-up with Rachel, who was one of the Senior Artists from Kelly Zhang. Rachel also did my hair and make-up for my e-session. What I loved most about Rachel is that she listens to the client, but also adds her own touch to the overall look. I like the understated style that she puts into her work. On our wedding day, Rachel and her two assistants arrived on time and worked their magic on a dozen women in our bridal party. They were efficient, but no one felt rushed. They made sure that each bridesmaid/mother/sponsor got the hair and make-up that they envisioned. My sister, who will be getting married in May, has already booked Rachel as well.

Sent on 10/20/2015

I had to book my bridal hair and makeup artist last minute, and I reached out to Kelly Zhang studio about a month in advance. I was nervous because I knew they were popular, but I was pleasantly surprised at how willing they were to work with me and accommodate my needs. Maria reached out to me via phone and email to help me pick the right makeup artist and promptly corresponded with them, so that within two weeks, I had peace of mind! I booked valarie brenes, who reached out to me in advance to discuss specific needs. She was detail oriented, and I could tell she took her work seriously. Valarie's style is natural and effortlessly radiant--she has a great eye for beauty without caking on layers! I was nervous that I booked her so late and did not have time to do a trial, but her work was very consistent with her portfolio, and I could not have been happier with the results.

Sent on 10/28/2015

Kelly Zhang Studio does a great job! They made everything so easy for me. I called to inquire about their services and they sent me an email of their prices and "lookbook" so i can pick the artist that i wanted. I picked Jennifer D. During the preview, i brought in pictures of the look i wanted and she gave me her input. She did 2 different looks for me to choose from. Must say i love what she did. After that everything else was done via email which was super easy. Maria, their event coordinator was a breeze to work with, flexible and quick to respond to any concerns or requests.
    Fast forward to the day, Jennifer and Kala arrived on time. Two bridesmaids, both mothers, and a flower girl was to be done. Both of them were very patient but made sure we finished on time. I highly recommend this for any bride. Their prices are way better compared to any other and excellent work!

Sent on 05/07/2015

Candace · Married on 04/08/2015

Kelly Zhang Studio was extremely professional and a pleasure to work with! Their artists are so talented! I went with Yuzu, who is just lovely. She made me feel so calm, and she did a really beautiful job making me look natural. I felt like myself, and I almost never wear make-up, so that is quite a feat!

The studio representatives were super helpful and organized, and answered all of my questions thoroughly and in a timely fashion. The assistant artists were all great as well - they were all incredibly nice people and made my bridesmaids, mother and mother-in-law feel special and beautiful. I let the studio know in advance what I was looking for for their looks, and on the day of, they just did it. I didn't have to worry about anything!

I really enjoyed working with Kelly Zhang Studio and would recommend them in a heartbeat!

Sent on 05/05/2015

Kelly Zhang Studio made my bridal party and myself beautiful on my wedding day! It was very easy to set up a hair and makeup trial and lock down the date. Denise (my hair and makeup artist) was so great at listening to what I wanted and adjusting even when I changed my mind on the look I was going for. All of my bridesmaids came out beautifully. I am extremely happy with Kelly Zhang and highly recommend them to make you beautiful for your next event!

Sent on 01/05/2015

Who said wedding planning is fun? Weddings take a lot of time and effort in the planning, it can get stressful, and it breaks the bank (made me feel so poor)! They are a bit pricey but they do such good work!

Sent on 05/03/2015

Professional stylists that will transform you into the beautiful bride you knew you would be. We were a bride & bride wedding and our artists were; Rachel (Senior), Ailien (Senior), Jenny (Lead). We did a our trial and got the look we wanted. Didn't want the makeup to go to waste so we did engagement photos after. They documented and emailed to us for our reference. On our big day, they were punctual. Be aware if you get ready location has paid parking you will need to cover that for them. All three worked quickly without sacrificing quality. Both parties were done with ample time to spare. Things to know, ask questions, if you don't love the look tell them, they take direction very well and if you just say "make me beautiful" you also won't be disappointed. Bring pictures if your particular, they can do it better. They are a bit more pricier than other studios but you will not be disappointed with the quality. Both of us brides and all of our bridesmaids felt so beautiful throughout the whole night.

Sent on 11/02/2014

Kelly is a genius for makeup for Asians. On my wedding day, everyone commented on how amazing my makeup was (and a bridesmaid's boyfriend told her that whatever she paid was worth every penny). Kelly is also super nice and very professional. One of THE BEST vendors I hired.

Sent on 10/30/2014

Tracey · Married on 09/13/2014

Kelly Zhang’s makeup and hair team do amazing work! I had the pleasure of working with Valarie for my Engagement Session and for my wedding. She did my hair and makeup so beautifully and gave me exactly what I wanted. She was so fun and nice to work with and she really does amazing work. I would highly recommend using Kelly Zhang’s team for any event or wedding!!!

Sent on 11/16/2014

Jennifer Thai was my makeup artist for my wedding hair and makeup. She is so sweet and amazing! For my make up trial I scheduled it on the day I was doing my engagement photos. She did 2 different hairstyles for me, one I used for my wedding day and the other I kept for the engagement pictures. I loved what she did with my hair for the wedding day, but I wanted a little more volume, and to be safe I asked if I could do another hair trial where I could ensure that it could be done. Jennifer was super accommodating and understanding! They scheduled another trial so that I would feel comfortable that my hair would look the way I want it to on my wedding day. I even had momzilla with me and Jennifer was so great with dealing with her that even my mom loved her after meeting with her once. For my make up it was great! Jennifer is very meticulous. I like my make up dark and smoky and that's all I had to tell her to get the look I wanted. On the day of my wedding everything went well, and my hair and makeup were perfect. Jennifer is so easy to work with, very calm, and does an amazing job on make up and hair.
    In regards to responsiveness and accommodation, Kelly Zhang's team was amazing! They respond to emails and questions promptly. During my wedding process family members would tell me last minute that they wanted to get their makeup/hair done. Kelly Zhang's team was very accommodating and managed to figure how to do everyone's hair and make up in the time frame I had, which I'm so appreciative of because during the wedding stress its nice to not have to worry about little things like that. Thank you to Jennifer Thai and the Kelly Zhang team for making me beautiful on my wedding day and for the excellent service!

Sent on 09/24/2014