Kahu Bruce Reviews

Kahu Bruce 1
Kahu Bruce 2

Joyces Soon · Married on 05/07/2019

Bruce is amazing

Absolutely blessed to have been able to have Bruce officiate our wedding. The setting was beautiful at Paliku Gardens and the Hawaiian ceremony was an added touch to my destination wedding. He is so easy to talk to and accommodating on any request we had. Thank you!

Sent on 05/26/2019
  • cmkodama

Caroline · Married on 11/03/2018

Heart-warming, local, and professional

Thank you, Kahu Bruce, for officiating the wedding of my brother and sister-in-law. Bruce was easy to communicate with, timely, entertaining, and professional. Our out of town guests were both educated and entertained by the Hawaiian practices. It was a pleasure working with you!

Sent on 12/05/2018

Mark · Married on 09/18/2018

Kahu Bruce married Karen and I on Waimanalo Beach on September 18th 2018. We found him to be warm, genuine and sincere; and his service totally reflected the balance of traditional Hawaiian and contemporary elements we requested. From the get go he listened to, and respected our thoughts and ideas, without judgement, and added his own personal suggestions for our consideration. We could not have been happier and his officiating absolutely added to the specialness of the occasion. Mahalo Kahu Bruce!

Sent on 10/01/2018
  • Jessica

Jessica · Married on 04/26/2018

Kahu Bruce is amazing! Not only is he very professional, but he is very kind and understands how to read a couples personality and style. We was very knowledgeable about how the flow of the ceremony should go based on the elements we wanted. He gave great direction, words of wisdom, humor and even cultural elements that allowed him created a beautiful experience for us and our guests. We just loved him!

Sent on 06/27/2018

Louisa · Married on 09/21/2017

We were delighted to have Kahu Bruce perform the ceremony for us. We got him through our wedding planner Beloved in Oahu and so only met him once when we got to Hawaii then didn't see him again for another week till the wedding day. He was very calming and had character to personalise our ceremony to how we wanted it. He even asked what colour of robes we would like him to wear! Although we only met him briefly I wouldn't have changed a thing and would highly recommend him. Thank you Kahu Bruce!

Sent on 10/12/2017
    Kahu Bruce 3
    Kahu Bruce 4

Mimi · Married on 08/12/2017

The absolute best officiant on the island!!! I have been to many weddings in Hawaii and no one came close to Bruce. The best ceremony ever! All my guests could not stop raving about Bruce. He was friendly, organized, funny, and sweet. We met with him before the wedding to take care of our marriage license. Then he sat down with us and we went through the entire ceremony step by step. He took the time to answer all my questions and told us not to worry because the day of the wedding he would tell us what to say and what to do. The best part is that during the wedding when he was telling us what to do, he did it so subtly and professionally that no one noticed that he was directing us. The ceremony ran so smoothly. We didn't have to think or remember what was coming next. His ceremony and explanations of ALOHA and the meaning of marriage was absolutely beautiful. We love Bruce!!! I totally recommend him as your officiant. By the end of the day we felt like we had made a friend.

Sent on 08/21/2017

Brooke · Married on 06/11/2016

Kahu Bruce was great to work with!! He was quick to respond by email and answered any questions we had. He met us at the Department of Health and helped us get our Marriage Certificate then walked us through the whole ceremony with what we wanted. Everyone told us how much they lobed our ceremon, and I think he did an excellent job. I would definitely recommend him.

Sent on 09/03/2016

Allyse · Married on 05/29/2016

Kahu Bruce, we love you! He was so wonderful to work with: quick to respond, so friendly, helpful, and patient! Our wedding ceremony was a beautiful Hawaiian ceremony. My husband and I couldn't have asked for anything more. The chanting, meaning of ALOHA, lei exchanges, and more were so beautiful. Our guests continue to tell us how touching the ceremony was, and how they had never experienced something like that before. We were so happy to have had Kahu Bruce marry us, and are forever grateful! We loved getting to know you Kahu, and hope to meet you again some day!!

Love,
    Allyse, Phillip, and Skylar

Sent on 06/07/2016

Adelle · Married on 05/18/2016

Kahu Bruce is such an incredible minister and person! We quickly hit it off with him at our marriage license appointment and absolutely loved getting to know him while we were on the island. Our ceremony was beautiful and he made us laugh throughout, which was so important to us! It was a very low key ceremony and we loved how personal it was and the Hawaiian culture that he brought to our ceremony.

Sent on 08/18/2016

Lara · Married on 03/28/2016

Kahu Bruce performed a beautiful Hawaiian marriage ceremony for my wife and I on Waimanalo Beach. The ceremony was more perfect than we ever could have dreamed of and we are so grateful that he honoured our love in such a meaningful way. Kahu's direction and expertise on the day was so helpful and he made the ceremony run smoothly.
    All our family and friends (and even the photographers) raved about how moving his ceremony was and we will remember it for the rest of our lives.
    Planning a destination wedding on Oahu from Australia isn't easy, but Kahu Bruce was wonderful to deal with over email and phone prior to arriving and even met us to help get our marriage licence and fine tune the ceremony.
    I would highly recommend Kahu Bruce to any couple looking for a meaningful ceremony.

Sent on 05/14/2016

samantha · Married on 02/22/2016

My husband and I were married by Kahu Bruce in front of our closest friends and family. We cannot get over how beautiful Bruce made the ceremony. We wanted a non religious option but Bruce was still able to give it so much love and meaning. Bruce was able to meet us at the registry office before the wedding day and made the process a breeze. He made us feel so comfortable on our wedding day. My parents are videographers and have filmed 100's of weddings - they agree that Bruce was the best officiant they have ever seen! We cannot thank Bruce enough for making our ceremony so beautiful. He will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Sent on 03/06/2016

Melissa · Married on 07/18/2015

Kahu Bruce was so wonderful. Our ceremony was beautiful and so unique. My husband is in the wedding business in NJ/NY so the last thing we (especially he) wanted was the same wedding/ceremony that he has seen a hundred times before. We travel to hawaii almost every year because we love it there so much so it only seemed natural to get married there and also have a ceremony that honors the Hawaiian tradition. Kahn Bruce was incredibly warm and kind and explained the meaning of each part of our ceremony to us the day he helped us get our marriage certificate. After the ceremony several of my guests commented on how lovely and unique our ceremony was. We are grateful for having Kahu Bruce as our officiant.

Sent on 08/05/2015

April · Married on 12/26/2013

I am so happy to see that everyone had the same experience that my husband and I had with Kahu Bruce! All the wonderful things you read about him are true. Kahu Bruce took two crazy kids who are non-practicing Catholics and created a ceremony that was meaningful, spiritual, and more importantly, true to us. And I know our guests were just absolutely wowed by the Hawaiian elements that he had woven into it.

The most wonderful thing that Kahu Bruce did/said that I will forever be grateful for was give us this advice: Leave the ceremony in his hands. Don't worry about memorizing anything you have to say or do. Just relax, enjoy the day and the moment, and follow his lead.

My husband and I did exactly that and it set the tone for a beautiful and memorable wedding day. Mahalo and LOTS of aloha to you, Kahu Bruce!

Sent on 02/15/2014

Shani · Married on 10/07/2013

My husband and I come from two very different religious backgrounds and neither one of us is particularly religious. We wanted our ceremony to be short but meaningful and unique. Kahu Bruce was the perfect choice. He included many Hawaiian elements into the ceremony which we and our guests loved. He met with us days before our wedding so we could discuss which elements we wanted to include. Our ceremony was about 15-20 minutes long. Kahu Bruce really put us at ease. Nothing felt overly rehearsed. He told us to just relax, enjoy the moment, and follow his lead which is exactly what we did. No stress!!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Pauline · Married on 06/07/2013

We had a destination wedding at Turtle Bay Resort. Kahu Bruce met with us at the department of health to pick up our marriage license. After we talked for about an hour and he went over the wedding ceremony. He did such a great job officiating our ceremony! It was very beautiful. I highly recommend Kahu Bruce!

Sent on 06/24/2013
  • Raymie

Raymie · Married on 02/08/2013

Kahu Bruce is spectacular. Neither one of us have wanted a "christian" ceremony, however we did want a spiritual Hawaiian ceremony and Kahu Bruce blew us away! From his amazing chanting as the groom and groomsmen walked in to the beautiful vows he led us through. We honored my grooms mother who had passed with a beautiful lei ceremony. Our family and friends can not stop raving about how emotional, and poignant our ceremony was and that is because Kahu Bruce was a perfect fit for us. His wisdom and words to us both days before the ceremony let us further know that he wants to be a part of our lives not just our wedding day.

Sent on 02/16/2013

Joan · Married on 07/08/2012

Kahu Bruce is such an amazing and caring man! He contacted us early on to get us started with our marriage license online! It made it easier for us when we arrived on the island 5 days before the wedding to not feel rushed to get things done. He met with us at the license office and walked us through everything! Afterwards he sat down with us to really give us a feel for the ceremony. We literally almost had our "rehearsal" sitting there...no nervousness...we felt so comforatble with him! He really wanted to capture our love for each other and for our family in our ceremony. He explained the beautiful chants to us..and really customized everything to us as a couple! The day of the wedding he made us feel at ease....we listened to his quiet & sweet instructions and before you knew it we were married! He did such a great job at including our children in the ceremony, our family who were not in attendence (we had a destination wedding)... Kahu Bruce will make your wedding day one to remember! He will always be a part of our OHANA! Can't thank him enough!

Sent on 07/09/2012

Ashley · Married on 04/22/2012

Kahu Bruce performed our wedding ceremony and it was very beautiful, unique and touching. Many of our guests complimented him on the ceremony and commented to us on how much they enjoyed it and how beautiful it was. The ceremony itself lasted around 15-20 minutes which was the perfect amount of time in my opinion.  A few days before the wedding, Kahu Bruce met us at the dept of health to obtain our marriage license and then took the time to go over the elements of the ceremony with us. He is extremely kind and caring.  I knew I would be nervous on the day of the wedding and Kahu Bruce assured us that nothing would go wrong.  He arrive d early on the day of the wedding to make sure everything was in place.  He walked us through each and every step during the ceremony, making it easy and allowing us to be in the moment and enjoy it.

Sent on 04/29/2012

H · Married on 07/06/2011

Same sex marriage. We had over 50 guests attending from the mainland plus our family members living on Oahu. Kahu Bruce was, as our guests have continuted to tell us, outstanding. He brought the whole party together in a very spiritual bonding ceremony. Our dreams were dwarfed by what actually took place. Bruce will take time with you before, during and after to provide you with the kind of support you need. He is very intuitive and we are glad we trusted him for our ceremony of a life time.

Sent on 09/26/2011

Lora · Married on 06/21/2011

We absolutely adored Kahu Bruce. We arrived in Hawaii the week prior to our wedding. Kahu Bruce met us to assist us with our marriage certificate, and provided the day of ceremony time line. He delivered a beautiful message mixed with the Hawaiian chants and a light touch of traditional religious blessings. We enjoyed and loved every part of our ceremony, Mahalo Kahu Bruce....we will forever remember our ALOHA message!

Sent on 07/10/2011

Jean · Married on 01/26/2011

We were not sure how mixing a traditional Hawiian wedding with our catholic back ground would work. Kahu Bruce took the time to meet with us prior to the event. He explained everything in detail and also took the time to give us some spiritual advice for our marriage. Mahalo Tim and Jean

Sent on 02/14/2011

Carole-Anne · Married on 07/18/2010

Kahu Bruce was amazing. I LOVED every single part of his ceremony. He added in little Hawaiian touches here and there (chanting while walking in with the boys, speaking in Hawaiian and translating after, speaking of the meaning of aloha, chanting towards the ocean to bring the gods in, etc) and DH and I could both feel that he truly truly truly believed in everything he said. He even met with us to get our marriage license. All of our guests could not stop talking about what a beautiful and wonderful ceremony it was, and I credit it all to Kahu Bruce. He keeps the ceremony short too (about 20 minutes), so no one gets bored or too hot!

Sent on 08/10/2010

Melanie · Married on 02/14/2015

Kahu Bruce was absolutely amazing! He is an experienced professional yet balances that with being down to earth and "real". My guests are still talking about how EXCELLENT he was! There was not a dry eye in the ceremony even though there was a lot of laughing going on too. He incorporated the Hawaiian culture (including Oli) I grew up with my Catholic/Christian traditions as well as adding in a sand unity ceremony we wanted at the last minute. He made us cry, laugh, and really feel our love for eachother and our friends and family. The meeting with him beforehand is essential - it's more than an introduction. He was our calmness in the storm of everything - when we felt like everything was going wrong and I just really didn't have the time for this meeting, he brought it back to what we were there for. During the ceremony, the talk we had during our meeting and his reminders - really let us focus and be present. His guidance to not only us (the bride and groom) but also my wedding party were gentle and firm, he explained everything he did and said. Really, truly an amazing kahu and person. It was a little difficult pinning down time for the pre-meeting and I got worried because we finally pinned down a time the day before the wedding and it was at Ala Moana. But right there in the food court, he floored us with his words - making us cry and breathe and remember how much we loved eachother. It's like he knew what we were thinking and feeling even though we never said. We are so lucky to have had him officiate our wedding and will treasure him forever. This is the first review I am writing of the vendors at my wedding, that's how much of an impact he made on us! He is worth more than what he charges for his services.

Sent on 02/23/2015

Ashley · Married on 08/03/2018

0.8
      2.0
      1.0

PART 1 of 2:

We hired Kahu Bruce Ah Leong for our wedding ceremony in August 2018 on the island of Oahu, Hawaii. His reviews appeared good and we were excited to move forward with him. When I first reached out to him, the process started out straightforward. He sent me his contract and I carefully reviewed it. I am always hesitant to enter contracts as my professional experience is weighted in the litigation industry and I never prefer to enter into an agreement that is excessively binding. I reviewed his contract and it appeared okay. He required a 50% deposit to reserve his services. I sent him a check in the mail and he reserved our date.

Two months before our wedding, we experienced some family circumstances and made the decision to get married on the mainland early due to personal reasons. Therefore, we no longer needed Kahu Bruce's services in Hawaii. I reached out to him and explained this and proceeded to tell me the deposit is not refundable unless he is able to book another couple for our date. I was shocked and reviewed his contract carefully again because I did not remember verbiage that stated this anywhere in the contract. I reviewed our past email exchanges and saw no mention of this anywhere. I also don't recall him verbally explaining this. I even ran the contract by my family members who are currently in the legal industry, and we picked apart the language written in the contract.

I sent an email to Bruce explaining that I re-read the contract and it did not state ANYWHERE that the deposit was non-refundable or any terms surrounding that.

I worked in the legal industry for many years. I'm pretty familiar with contract verbiage and like I said before, I don't usually get involved with anything that's binding/non-refundable. That's why I read through contracts pretty thoroughly before I sign. I told him that unless he could direct me to a clause I am missing, I would expect my deposit refunded based on the contract we signed.

Sent on 08/06/2018