Just Desserts Reviews

Just Desserts 5
Just Desserts 6
Just Desserts 7

robert &sandy · Married on 09/27/2013

Melinda was very easy to work with. our wedding cake was as beautiful as delicious. delivery &set up was flawless. all our guests raved about taste &beauty!

Sent on 10/04/2013

Jocelyn · Married on 09/14/2013

I was drawn to work with Melinda after seeing some of the beautiful cakes she had created. She worked with us to personalize a design she has made before. We tasted several of her cake flavors and all were amazing! What I love about Melinda's cake is not only are they a work of art, they are hands down, the best cakes I have ever tasted! We went with the eclair flavor which was loved by all of our guests. She also made seashell chocolates for our wedding favors which were absolutely beautiful and delicious. If you want an amazing cake, Just Desserts is the place!

Sent on 09/29/2013

dawn · Married on 09/07/2013

I had herd from many people in the OBX that Melinda made the best cakes on island. That was an understatement. The cake was delicious and beautiful! It was covered in beach glass and driftwood and had white chocolate sea shells all over. Truly a one of a kind. Absolutely beautiful!

Sent on 09/16/2013

Jennifer · Married on 08/12/2013

Not only is Dorothy an amazing wedding cake designer, she is also so sweet and truly cares about her clients. Our guests devoured out 2-tiered eclair wedding cake. The cakes taste and design were absolutely perfect, and to die for. I wish we had more to keep as left overs! We will definitely be ordering more cakes from her when we travel down to our annual OBX vacation! Thank you Dorothy for helping make our day so special and memorable!

Sent on 10/12/2013

Just Desserts's reply:

Congratulations Jen!...i'd be happy to make any cake in the future for you..although..It's Melinda..Dorothy w/probably your florist..but I remember your cake quite well! Two tier rose petal in ivory, and working with your aunt..who is very talented w/her beautiful table arrangements!
    Thanks so much/M

Kaitlyn · Married on 05/26/2013

Melinda with Just Desserts is amazing. Se created the best cake I have ever tasted and all of our guests were so impressed and still make comments about how good it was!! We had a vision of what we wanted the cake to look like and provided Melinda with ribbon we wanted to use on the cake. From that she created just what we envisioned. It was such a beautiful And delicious cake!

Sent on 08/26/2013

Best cake we have ever had, not just wedding cake, but best cake EVER!!!

Sent on 05/14/2013

Nina · Married on 11/10/2012

Melinda is a Parisian trained pastry chef! She is an artist. I had the privilege, long before I got married, of watching her decorate several cakes and was utterly transfixed. Her website does not do her justice. Her cakes are the best tasting on the Outer Banks, NC and it was so hard to choose, even for our small wedding. I opted for a white bottom square, round top, two tier sea shell/coral cake topped with seahorses! The bottom was eclair and the top key lime! Absolutely gorgeous and tasty!

I have used Melinda throughout the years, beginning in 1989 for Birthday cakes and party pastry platters! Fabulous tasting and gorgeous presentation (love the lemon bars). I have watched her work copied by all the other pastry and wedding cake suppliers in the area. She created the first "Sandcastle" cake in the area, along with her white chocolate shells and sea creatures. Odds are, if a competitor has it, Melinda did it first. I highly recommend Melinda and Just Desserts.

Virginia · Married on 11/03/2012

I was so impressed with Just Desserts and Melinda. Her cake designs are fabulous! I first found her at the Outer Banks Wedding Association Show January 2012. I couldn't believe how good her cakes tasted! I got a Chocolate Mousse Vanilla sponge cake with Frangelico flavored Chocolate Mouse filling for the top layer. 24 Karat Gold for the bottom and Eclair for the middle! It was fantastic looking and tasting! I went back and forth between butter cream roses or real roses, then decided on a White Curtain Draped with orange and red roses! It was stunning and was gobbled up! My guests were amazed at how good it tasted. Thank you Melinda, Larry and Lee Ann!

Gracelyn · Married on 10/27/2012

We met with Melinda a month before our wedding. She was so extremely helpful to us and we were very impressed with her professionalism. With our wedding at the end of October she suggested a fall theme, which we never even thought of! She gave us so many great ideas! I knew I wanted to use flowers to decorate the cake and delivered these to Melinda the day before. When the cake was delivered on our wedding day it was even better than we ever imagined. The cake was absolutely beautiful! It was so beautiful that we hated to cut into it! Everyone there raved about the cake, it was so delicious! They say people show up to weddings just for the cake and with Melinda's talent and creativity she made it a special day! Thank you for such a beautiful wedding cake and for all your help!

Sent on 11/08/2012

Liz · Married on 10/27/2012

I used Just Desserts at the recommendation of my F&B Director at my venue and they did not steer me wrong! Melinda was VERY easy to get a hold of, always responding to my insanely early emails, and incredibly willing to adjust when I wanted to change flavors. Since she's worked with tons of other vendors in the area, when I asked if I could have flowers on top of my cake all she needed as the florist name and I didn't have to do another thing! The cake was delivered and decorated on time. I didn't even know it was happening, which is what every bride really wants. Our cake looked stunning, the butter cream was SO smooth it looked like fondant! And it tasted AMAZING!!! We had the Eclair cake (seriously, get this flavor!!!), Key Lime (also spectacular) and Red Velvet as a special request. We had a good bit of cake leftover after the wedding and our venue boxed some up for us to take home (since I didn't get to eat any other than what my hubby fed me that night). The cake was so good I wanted to keep eating it, even after it was a past its prime. We also received a pre-boxed anniversary tier, which is a really nice bonus when you might forget to box the top tier yourself or the venue might accidentally serve it. I loved Just Desserts and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Sent on 11/11/2012

As I local I never considered getting a cake from anyone else!! Melinda's cakes are always beautiful and delicious!!!

Sent on 11/21/2012

Meredith · Married on 10/27/2012

We used Just Desserts for our wedding cake and it was delicious! We did several local cake tastings but Melinda's samples were the best! Melinda was easy to work with and the cake was absolutely beautiful! She worked with my florist, Sugar Snap, so I didn't need to worry about anything. I emailed her a picture of the cake we wanted and Melinda's creation was perfect! Everyone is still talking about how beautiful and delicious it was! We would highly recommend Just Desserts!

Sent on 11/23/2012
  • Bekah

Bekah · Married on 10/06/2012

I had the best experience with Melinda at Just Desserts. We just had our wedding October 6th, 2012 and the cake was not only gorgeous (and one of my favorite elements of the wedding) but the best cake I have ever tasted. I can't tell you how many people told us it was "the best wedding cake they ever had". Melinda was amazing during the whole process too. I was totally obnoxious and completely changed the design of my cake 2 times and Melinda was so accommodating throughout the process

I must add this last thing because its now a running story/joke among my friends. We took a piece of leftover cake home to our rental house after the wedding. Everyone wanted some. As one of my bridesmaids husband was eating the last bite, he accidentally dropped a piece on her shoe. He promptly picked up her shoe licked the icing off and proceeded with what he was doing. Other than it being the best wedding cake among our friends and family, they are now referring to it as "shoe licking good". I really could not have been happier with the whole experience. Oh we had the eclair cake with butter-cream icing.

Sent on 10/19/2012
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 09/23/2012

THE BEST CAKE EVER!!!!!!!!! Melinda was very professional and everything arrived on time, LOOKED AMAZING!!!

Sent on 03/26/2013

Miko · Married on 08/19/2012

I can not say enough great things about Just Desserts and Melinda. Her attention to details and her service is exceptional! I have known brides to take her a picture of a cake and she has duplicated it to perfection.
    How many cake bakeries actually go ahead and box your anniversary layer in addition to your cake, and it's ready for the freezer? I do not know of any. That was something I really appreciated not having to cut off the top layer of my cake at the reception.
    Since our wedding Melinda has created birthday cakes, anniversary cakes and other scrumptious goodies for my family and friends. All of them just delicious!
    I would recommend Just Desserts to anyone.

Sent on 11/08/2012

Erin · Married on 08/17/2012

Melinda at Just Desserts has so much talent. Our wedding cake was beautiful- a three layer beach scene topped with adirondack chairs. We had choco-chocolate mousse, vanilla chocolate mousse, and eclair. Our preacher said he has done 100s of weddings, and our cake was by far the best. I couldn't agree more. It was phenomenal. If you don't use Just Desserts, you are missing out!

Sent on 08/29/2012

Charley · Married on 08/10/2012

Absolutely delicious and gorgeous. Those are the words every bride and groom wants to hear when their guests speak about the wedding cake. Fortunately, our wedding cake was made by Melinda at Just Desserts, and those are the exact sentiments every guest had when taking a bite of our wedding cake. The only problem we had was narrowing down the flavor of our cake because all of the flavors we tried at our cake tasting were scrumptious. Luckily, we settled on a 3 tier cake, so we were able to incorporate our 3 favorite flavors – traditional white, red velvet and éclair – and Melinda made it work beautifully. Our Just Desserts cake was truly delicious and gorgeous, and my husband and I can’t wait to bite into the boxed tier on our first anniversary – if we are able to resist it until then.

Sent on 09/11/2012

Andrea · Married on 07/08/2012

You do not need to look any further! I wanted to the Key Lime cake and I knew it was on the higher end. When I got the contract I was not sure if I wanted to spend that much. I talk to my planner and she said they are really the BEST hands down. My fear was that I was going to spend all this money just for cake to get wasted. But let me tell you people raved about the cake and where even asking me alll week if they could have any left overs. There was no waste. It was filled with the most awesome flavor and the moistest cake I ever tasted. I was so happy I stayed with my decision although I never was going to order my cake from anyone else. Melanie was terrfic to work with and called and emailed me almost immediately. The cake looked amazing as well as tasted good. I think she has the BEST looking cake in OBX and that is why I went with her. But then I tasted it an WOW! It was the BEST wedding cake I ever tasted and can not wait to eat it again! I HIGHLY recommend them!

Sent on 07/25/2012
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 06/22/2012

Melinda was wonderful to work with. I did two cakes through her - one was a pirate ship cake (a surprise for my husband-to-be at the rehearsal dinner) and our wedding cake. Melinda was always in contact with answers and questions when appropriate. She made our day very special and personal - she even called me on the day of our rehearsal dinner to name Mike's pirate ship ("Mike's Revenge"). I also had planned to pick up his pirate ship, but she delivered it no charge because she wanted to make sure that it arrived safely. Melinda was also flexible throughout the planning process, as I made changes to the design of our wedding cake (and one of the flavors). It turned out beautifully - so perfect with the rest of our decor. The cakes also tasted fantastic! I highly recommend the chocolate mousse and carrot cake - yum! It was a great experience all-around.

Sent on 07/06/2012

Melinda was the sweetest lady every, she made a beautiful UNC grooms cake for my husband which we ate on our rehearsal dinner night, it was butter rum flavored (YUMMM!!!!) For our wedding cake we had a three layer beach cake with beach chairs, shells and it actually looked like a sand dune. I heard compliments from everyone about the wedding cake, not only did every single guest love the way it looked, they loved the way it tasted. Most guests had a couple of pieces so they could try several flavors! The flavors were butter run (again, I know, but it is so so so good), Chocolate Macadamia (BEST THING EVER) and Traditional white with butter creme (delish!!!) Everyone that spoke about the cake said they had never had such delicious wedding cake before!!! Melinda is a real peach, and so talented! I can't wait to ask her to bake us a first anniversary cake!

Sent on 09/24/2012

Kelly · Married on 06/09/2012

Melinda was amazing and I am so lucky to have found her! She was great to work with, very responsive and our wedding cake was gorgeous. Hurricane Irene hit the Outer Banks a few months before our wedding. Melinda was the first person to reach out to me to let me know how my wedding ceremony site looked since we were getting married on the Sound front. She reached out to me before our venue site even did and she constantly kept me updated on the rebuilding progress. She went above and beyond for us and I cannot thank her enough. The cake was amazing and soooo delicious; we received so many compliments on the cake; people still talk about it whenever our wedding comes up in conversation. I would highly recommend Melinda; she's a true gem.

Sent on 01/20/2013
  • Abby

Abby · Married on 05/29/2012

Was highly recommended by a local business. Melinda had the best eclaire cake I ever had! Everyone enjoyed it! Melinda was very careful to wait out a downpour before delivery. She took special care that everything was beautiful, and it was!

Sent on 06/03/2012

Alison · Married on 05/26/2012

Melinda is an amazing baker!!! Not only do her cakes look gorgeous but her cakes taste delicious!!!!
    Thank you Melinda for my beautiful elegant sea shell cake!

Sent on 06/20/2012

Barbara · Married on 05/26/2012

The wedding cake was gorgeous!!!! Everyone thought it was so beautiful and it tasted amazing too!!!!! We also had other desserts seved in addition to the cake that were delicious too!!!!!! Amazing, amazing , amazing!!!!!

Sent on 07/26/2012

Everyone said it was the best wedding cake they ever had!!! Best design and just delicious!!!!

Sent on 08/07/2012