Joy Michelle Photography Reviews

44 | Annapolis, MD

44 Reviews for Joy Michelle Photography

Madeline · Married on 10/22/2017

Working with Joy Michelle was the best experience from start to finish! She was sweet and professional, and it felt like I was working with a girlfriend. I wasn't a local bride, but she easily worked with me over the phone and through email. She has an unbelievable eye & the most romantic and classic style, and she was totally up for it when people in the wedding party had spur-of-the-moment silly photo ideas. Her team worked tirelessly all day and they gave us so many gorgeous, magical, magazine-worthy photos of our special day. I would hire her again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 11/13/2017

Cheryl · Married on 10/07/2017

We met Joy about a year before our wedding at our venue’s vendor open house and my fiancé and I immediately knew we liked her! She is so personable and professional, not mention extremely sweet and VERY talented! Joy and her team arrived on time and were SO pleasant to work with all day. I was definitely feeling a bit anxious the morning of my wedding but Joy and her team were a breath of fresh air! Joy LOVES what she does and it was so evident when she showed up to my hotel room the morning of the wedding. I couldn’t believe how excited she was – she made me feel so special. As a bride, we know that the vendors we work with have done this 1,000 times before and sometimes we’re just another wedding to them– but Joy will never make you feel that way. I truly believe she makes each and every one of her brides feel just as special as she made me feel the morning of my wedding! Joy always had a smile on her face and never seemed to get flustered. This was especially noticeable for me because we had some stressful moments throughout the day (crying babies, broken shoe, parking issues, etc!) but Joy and her team kept going and did a really good job at keeping me calm as well. My timeline was extremely tight. Prior to the wedding, Joy helped me a lot with the planning of the timeline. She was always available through email and phone whenever I had a question and that was really important to me. Joy’s assistant Rebekah is absolutely amazing as well. During our reception, someone stepped on the train of my dress causing it to come undone and one of the buttons completely popped of. Rebekah was there in a heart-beat with needle & thread and fixed my dress so that I didn’t have to worry about it the rest of the night. This is not something I would have ever expected when I hired Joy and team but I’m so happy they were there! Joy really is one of a kind! If you hire her, you will not be disappointed!

Sent on 11/18/2017

Courtney · Married on 09/23/2017

I remember what I was looking for reading reviews for photographers in advance of my wedding and am providing as much detail as I had wanted. In summary, look no further - Joy is the crème de la crème!

My husband and I hired Joy about 6-months before our wedding. We initially decided on Joy over other photographers we spoke with (and we spoke with quite a few in the greater DC/Maryland area) because from the very first conversation, she was so lovely to speak with and was incredibly thorough in answering our questions – she was able to place the pieces of the puzzle together that we, as non-photographers, couldn’t see in advance of the wedding. Over the next 6-months of planning, Joy was always available for questions and provided us with incredible professionalism.

Now comes the day of the wedding. Joy arrived with her team EARLY on the day and immediately they dispersed to take all of the pre-shots. She was with me in advance of the ceremony – I was a nervous wreck but as hoped for, she was calm, professional, brought a great sense of humor and made the moments in advance really fun with my bridesmaids and family – it felt like one of my closest friends was taking photos of us. Between the ceremony and reception, we had little time to shoot just me and my husband before the sun went down. Joy stuck to our timeline and with the shots we wanted, and still managed to add in a few extras, remaining ahead of schedule. Throughout the rest of the night, she and her team fell into the background. Not until I received the hundreds of photos from Joy, did I realize how many shots she took during the reception! She provided us with black & white and color shots, posed and candid, stills and action – everything we wanted and so many more.

Hiring Joy was arguably the best decision we made in the process and we couldn't have been more pleased with the 5-star service and incredible photos – never mind how much fun it was to shoot with her day of! Thanks Joy!

Sent on 12/31/2017

Mary A. · Married on 09/16/2017

Joy Michelle is absolutely amazing! I highly encourage you to stop your photographer search and just go ahead and book her! You will not regret it! Joy photographed both our engagement shoot and wedding day – totaling over 1,000 in pictures and there seriously isn’t one shot I wouldn’t frame. They are all stunning! Not only is Joy’s work amazing, she is also so sweet and easy to work with and makes you feel totally comfortable posing/ fake smiling/ fake giggling for the perfect shot! She is also very organized and pays close attention to detail to ensure everything run smoothly on your wedding day (which is much appreciated when you have different venders with competing timelines). I couldn’t have asked for a better photographer – Joy certainly exceeds expectations and delivers!! Thanks so much, Joy & team!!!

Sent on 11/21/2017
  • Nguyen&Seth

Nguyen · Married on 09/09/2017

Where do I begin to tell the future brides out there how amazing Joy and her team are. We were so extremely fortunate to work with Joy. If you are looking for a fabulous photographer for your special day, Joy is THE ONE!
    There are so many details that I wanted to document on my special day and I didn't have to tell Joy because she already knew. Joy and her team captured them all perfectly so that we can enjoy the special moments for years to come! We have been married for 26 days, and I literally look at the images that Joy sent us every night to re-visit our special day. It's extremely important that you hire the best photographer to capture your special day because it goes by so fast.
    My husband hired Joy for my surprise proposal. We fell in love with her fine art and her personality. Joy is on point. We hired her again for our engagement party. O.M.G she definitively has skills because our photos were amazing. I'm very comfortable with taking photos, but my husband not so much. Thankfully Joy made the process extremely easy and enjoyable for both my husband and me.
    On our wedding day, Joy and her team arrived early to check out the venue and to make sure she find the perfect spot for photos. She is not only amazing with her detail-oriented fine art photography, but also so helpful on the wedding day. And let me tell you about her assistant Rebekah, she is the best!!! She went above and beyond to help hold my lip sticks, my vows, and she made sure that my bouquet and escort table flowers got fixed. She reassured me that everything will be okay and constantly checked up on me to make sure I was doing okay. I could go on and on about Joy and her team but you get the picture. I don’t know about you but I’m going to hire her for my maternity photos when that day comes :)

Sent on 10/05/2017

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Seth and Nguyen, thank you SO much for this review! It was truly an honor to photograph your wedding day and get to be there for so many incredible moments. I'm already looking forward to our future sessions together! :)

Trisha · Married on 07/15/2017

Joy was the best decision I made during the entire wedding planning process. She was so easy to work with, was able to perfectly execute my vision, and made me excited about my wedding every time we spoke. She is a truly experienced professional and would 100% recommend her to any future brides. Joy stepped in throughout the entire planning process to help answer all my questions and even offer me advice on difficult wedding decisions. On the day of the Wedding she might as well have been my Wedding Planner because she orchestrated every event, told the guests where to go, took care of all the little details so I didn’t worry about them, she even recovered from a 2 hour timeline error on the part of the Wedding Planner. I can confidently say if it were not for Joy my wedding would not have been the success it was. Her pictures came out absolutely incredible and better than I ever could have imagined. In such a short time she was able to capture every emotion and event of the day without a second being missed. She has an eye for beauty and captures the most elegant photos you could ever imagine. I cant thank her enough for all her hard work, dedication, and passion she has for every single bride!

Sent on 11/13/2017
  • W

Whitney · Married on 05/06/2017

Joy is absolutely amazing. Not only is quality of work exceptional but she also makes the process extremely easy and enjoyable. She came with two assistants on our wedding day and both of them were amazing too. She put everyone in the bridal party at ease with the way she did things. She had a whole timeline set up that she planned with me before the actual day and took care of everything. She also is very flexible and is up for everything that creates a good shot. On our wedding day it was raining until right before the ceremony and that didn't keep her from taking us outside (as long as I was fine with It). She's makes the entire day flawless not matter what hurdles arise and provides stunning pictures.

Sent on 07/20/2017

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Dear Whitney, I can't thank you enough for this kind review! It was a pleasure working with you and David.

Emily · Married on 11/26/2016

I could not have asked for a better photographer! From the moment Joy and her assistant arrived (early) she was ready to go and began capturing the moment. My husband and I felt so comfortable and she was fantastic at directing us. She managed a tight timeline following our ceremony for portraits and even managed to get stunning shots of everyone in the blustery cold. At the reception it was easy to enjoy knowing that she was capturing every meaningful moment. Our album truly reflects the memories from that day. I look forward to finding another reason to work with her! I highly recommend her to any bride!!!

Sent on 12/19/2016

Jaclyn · Married on 10/15/2016

Joy is an absolute delight to work with. All of my vendors knew of her and also raved about her. One thing you don't think about when planning your wedding but is very important is for all the vendors to get along and have a good working relationship.... you don't need to worry about this with Joy - everyone LOVES her! She did an amazing job capturing our wedding! Our photos are beautiful and I would not hesitate to recommend Joy!

Sent on 11/21/2016

Jamie · Married on 10/01/2016

Joy and her team completely blew us away. We had a lot of last-minute changes to our wedding due to rain in the days leading up to and on the day of the wedding. Even with many less-than-ideal conditions, they rolled with the punches and captured stunning photos that we will treasure forever. Opening the gallery for the first time brought me to tears!

Sent on 10/18/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

You are too kind! It was a beautiful day and I loved documenting it :)

Chelsea · Married on 09/17/2016

When my husband and I first met Joy, we instantly connected with her passion and personality. She is an incredibly talented photographer who takes the time to get to know her clients on a personal level. There are not many business owners out there who care about their clients like Joy and I think that is one thing that sets her apart from everyone else. Not to mention, she is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I have ever met. I am so grateful I was given the opportunity to be a Joy Michelle Bride. My husband and I look forward to not only having Joy document our future but also having her as a friend.

Sent on 10/19/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Once a Joy Michelle Bride, always a Joy Michelle Bride! :-) Thank you SO much for this review, Chelsea. I feel fortunate to have such wonderful clients that become friends.

Bridgette · Married on 08/06/2016

Joy was so easy to work with and the quality of her work was above and beyond what I could have hoped for! She captured our day so beautifully and made the whole process fun and painless. I highly recommend her to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 10/19/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Thank you for this review, Bridgette! Yours and Michael's day was incredible!! :)
  • Holly

Holly · Married on 06/12/2016

Joy and her team were fantastic! They showed up early very prepared and ready to take on the busy day. Even through the chaos they made everyone feel comfortable and she made shooting big family photos seem like a breeze! Not to mention the photos are gorgeous. She captured the natural joy and candid fun throughout the whole night. Knowing that I have such beautiful memories captured by beautiful photographs to look at forever is priceless. My friends and family have raved about the quality of the photographs. They are sent in such an easy form to share and download so that everyone can enjoy looking through the big day. I can't say enough about Joy. One of the best decisions I made for my wedding!

Sent on 07/22/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Holly, It was an absolute honor to tell your wedding story through photographs! Yours and Dylan's wedding was so special is still one of my favorites!! :) Enjoy married life!

Firstly I just want to say, sorry for taking forever to write this! Joy is an amazing photographer. Not only is she an amazing photographer, but she is a very sweet and caring person. She made me and my husband feel super comfortable the entire session. (First time getting professional). The engagement photos turned out so well and we will cherish them forever! The only thing I wish I did was get her to also do our wedding photos.. :/ unfortunately my mother had already picked out the photographer and we didn't even know we would get engagement photos since we were only engaged for 3 months before our wedding haha! Thanks again joy you're be best!!

Sent on 02/11/2016

Christine · Married on 01/09/2016

I cannot say enough great things about Joy - best decision ever! I found Joy after browsing wedding blogs and photos throughout the DMV. I loved her website and photos, and reached out immediately! She was super responsive from the beginning, and we even set up a convenient Skype meeting before we booked her. An engagement session came with our package, which was very important for me when I was choosing a photographer. Joy recommended an amazing little winery for our engagement photos and we were sold (we love wine!). My fiance and I are not the type of people that take photos well - especially my fiance (people often tease him for the faces he ends up making in photos). So we were a little nervous to say the least! However, as soon as we met Joy and started the session, our worries went away. She totally brought us out of our shells and the engagement session went off without a hitch. The results were amazing - we LOVED the photos!!

Fast forward to our January winter wedding - the perfect day! If I can say one thing that I was not worried about as the day approached, it was the photography! She communicated with me throughout the planning process, and also gave me a recommended timeline for the day, which was SO helpful. Joy, her second photographer, and her assistant showed up early to get the day started. Joy worked with our videographer as well to set up the perfect First Look photos on the rooftop of our hotel, which was lovely!! The timeline of the day moved very smoothly. Joy and her team even stayed a little later than she was booked for, and they truly were able to capture every moment of the day. Joy had sneak peak photos within days of the wedding, and we received all photos 2 weeks after the wedding - incredible! We, along with our friends and families, love all of the photos so much - Joy, we can't thank you enough for being a part of our big day!

Sent on 02/01/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Oh my goodness, Christine! This is why I do what I do! Thank you for trusting me with your amazingly beautiful winter wonderland wedding day. It was truly unforgettable! Loved working with you guys!!

Kathlyn · Married on 12/05/2015

Joy is very knowledgable and great to work with! She captured my wedding day perfectly ! Love her and would recommend her to any of my friends and family!

Sent on 01/31/2016

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Thank you very much, Kathlyn! I had a blast documenting your beautiful winter wedding.

Kevin · Married on 10/10/2015

Joy was awesome. The shots that she got were just what I was looking for. She was on time with arriving to the wedding and delivering the pictures. She was able to capture the moment without being in the way. She did a fantastic job and I recommend her to anyone looking for elegant pictures.

Sent on 12/11/2015

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Kevin, it was a pleasure to document your day and thanks so much for the referrals. I really appreciate it!

Rebekah · Married on 10/10/2015

Joy was fantastic! She was there to capture the proposal, she helped me organize the engagement session then she was there to make sure each moment of our wedding day would be forever remembered and every single picture was better then I could have imagined!

Sent on 12/11/2015

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Thank you for this review, Rebekah!

Tara · Married on 09/26/2015

I can’t say enough about how amazing it was to have Joy as our wedding photographer. At our first meeting with her, I knew that I wanted her to photograph our special day. She was so excited to know about how we met and how Russell proposed. You could immediately see her passion, talent and excitement about what she does.
    When I told her for our engagement shoot I wanted to go to Orioles Park to surprise Russell, she was so supportive and excited. She always was quick to respond to any questions or ideas I wanted to run by her. During our engagement shoot, I was nervous but I immediately felt comfortable once Joy told us to be ourselves and not worry about everything. It quickly became like we were hanging out with a friend who was just taking a photo of us as we went along with our day.
    After seeing the engagement photos, I was even more excited for our wedding day and I had no worries that it would go perfectly smooth. With our wedding photos she captured every little detail that I wanted to be photographed without having to even tell her. She helped ease my nerves and allowed me to have one less thing to worry about. After the wedding my bridal party and parents talked about how sweet and professional she was and once the pictures came out everyone raved about how amazing all the photos were and how everything looked so natural and beautiful.
    I got married in the fall and I still go back and relive the day through the photos every few weeks. I can’t wait to have Joy capture other special moments in our life in the future. Thank you Joy for the amazing photos of our Wedding- they make me smile every time.

Sent on 03/15/2016

Kelly · Married on 09/04/2015

Joy is so very talented. Easy to work with, makes you feel totally comfortable in front of the camera, a total professional. She did an amazing job on our engagement photos, too but our wedding photos took the cake. Not only did my husband and I enjoy working with her, but our wedding party raved about her as well. We keep getting such great feedback on our wedding photos. I would recommend her over and over.

Sent on 10/29/2015

Stephanie · Married on 06/20/2015

We are so happy that Joy was our wedding photographer! After some searching on Google, I was drawn to Joy's photography style. Living in a different state than where we got married, we didn't get a chance to meet Joy until a few days before our wedding; but we never doubted our decision in booking her! Joy is talented, friendly, and eager to make her couples happy. I love that she had looked at my Pinterest boards to make sure she knew my "must have" shots. The day of the wedding, she was timely and professional and helped make sure everything ran smoothly. And the best part... we got our photos back a month after the wedding! They turned out even better than we hoped they would! We have received so many compliments on our wedding photos and we will cherish them for years to come.

Sent on 08/03/2015

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Stephanie, thank you so much for sharing your experience and thank you for trusting me with your wedding day! You and Dan were a pleasure to work with!

Katrina · Married on 05/30/2015

As as soon as we met Joy, we knew that we wanted her to be our photographer for the wedding. She was so sweet, professional and you could tell she took great pride in her work and that was very important to us. She gave us ideas and listened to what we were looking for. We did an engagement shoot with her before the wedding which was so much fun. She made us feel comfortable and walked us through the whole thing (We had no idea what we were doing!). When it came to the wedding day, she came early and ready to go! She was friendly with everyone and blended right in. We received our beautiful photos in a timely manner, and they were all very high quality. We loved her style and how she was able to mix both portraits with a photojournalistic flare. She was able to capture all of our family and friends in their element. The joy, love, laughter, and celebration was seen in every picture she got.

We highly recommend her for anyone who is looking for a photographer who is both humble and talented. You won't regret it.. Joy is the best!

Sent on 06/20/2015

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Katrina- thank you so much for your kind words. I absolutely LOVED working with you and Russell and your wedding was such a pleasure to photograph!!

Katy · Married on 04/11/2015

I cannot say enough about our wonderful experience with Joy. She shot our wedding at Caboose Farm in Frederick, MD, and the photos from our wedding day were more than I could have hoped for. We only met with Joy one time prior to the wedding (due to a tight timeline and our busy schedules), but she was such a professional during our initial meeting and throughout the following email communication that I did not hesitate to have her capture our big day. All correspondence with her was SUPER timely (on her end lol!), and she worked with us to capture our wedding just as we envisioned! She showed up early the day of the wedding (and stayed late!), and our photos were all ready to be viewed within several weeks of the wedding (I feel like that quick of a turn around is unheard of.. most friends of mine waited months with other photographers). Joy is such a sweetheart.. she even sent us a little gift in the mail (some adorable ring holders!) about a month prior to the wedding to let us know she was thinking of us. Both my husband and I felt completely comfortable with her, she took the time to get to know our style and our preferences, and her photos turned out GORGEOUS! Hands down, this girl is the definition of a professional.. I would not hesitate to recommend her as a photographer.

Sent on 06/04/2015

Joy Michelle Photography's reply:

Katy, it was an absolute honor to document yours and Geoff's special day! Thank you SO much for this lovely review!

Maica · Married on 05/25/2014

It was an awesome experience working together with Joy on the Cliffside Bohemian wedding shoot. She is so passionate and focus as well as an individual with charisma. I admire her professionalism and knowledge about styling shoots and creating beautiful photographs that capture the moment. I appreciated that she also allotted appropriate time for me to do hair and makeup on all the models. Truly, it was an exciting day! I would do it all over again.

Sent on 06/21/2014

Shikha · Married on 05/17/2014

It was lovely working with Joy..She pays very close attention to the detail of each element and the result is complete perfection. Excellent photography..love her

Sent on 06/22/2014