Joy & Cake Reviews

11 | Atlantic Highlands, NJ

11 Reviews for Joy & Cake

Liz · Married on 06/21/2014

We picked this vendor because we wanted to use as many local businesses as possible and we'd heard good things about Joy & Cake. We couldn't have been happier with the results. Upon hearing that my husband-to-be would prefer a ham sandwich to a piece of cake any day, Elise took on the challenge of making a Ham on Rye cake for the groom. It was delicious! A slice is saved along with the top of the almond cake with apricot filling and lemon buttercream she made for the reception. It was divine. Several guests admitted to sneaking a second piece from a distracted table mate.

Sent on 02/24/2015

Nicole · Married on 09/21/2013

Our wedding cake was incredible! We had a two tier cake on top of a cupcake tower, and it turned out not only beautiful, but also delicious! Our guests still rave about how great the cake was (we chose blondie cake with caramel buttercream frosting). It was truly the best cake I've ever eaten (I have quite the sweet tooth) and I don't just mean wedding cake! Elyse, the owner, makes an amazing selection of flavors, and it all tastes so fresh! Her prices are very reasonable, in fact she should probably charge more for the quality of service she provides! She even helped me to arrange for a secret, surprise groom's cake (red velvet) that turned out absolutely perfect!
    I would recommend Joy & Cake to a friend, and I have! My mother-in-law recently ordered a cake from Joy & Cake for her birthday party, and it was just as amazing as our wedding cake.

Sent on 10/29/2013

Laura · Married on 09/07/2013

I went to Joy & Cake after searching for a different place since I was not pleased with the responsiveness of the original place I was working with. Elyse was amazing from the beginning. I wanted to sample the flavor that we had in mind and she not only made a few of those samples but several other flavors as well. Once she learned that we liked a savory flavor better, she recommneded we try yet another sample on top of others which was her lemon sage cake. The fact that it took about a week for the flavors to meld before she could bake the cake speaks for itself of her perfection! We loved our sample and went ahead with that for the cake. The people at our wedding were RAVING about the flavors and unique nature and moisture of it. We had 2 people have 4 slices each!

In addition to flavor, Elyse was so great to work on ways to cut pricing down for the cake. She gave me several options which would help reduce pricing which I thought was so nice of her, especially since I was not asking about this and it was just offered.

Our wedding was very small and the cake she made for us was probably her smallest order that week. We were treated though as if we had a wedding for thousands and as if we were her biggest and oldest customer!! It was such a great experience and I look forwrad to using her for any other event.

Sent on 09/13/2013

You can't go wrong with Joy & Cake!
    I don't know how Elyse does it! While I had vision for my wedding dress, centerpieces, favors, etc, I was lost when it came to the cake. From the flavor, to the color, to the size, shape, and design, I really wasn't sure what I wanted. Elyse patiently asked a series of questions to help me to understand my vision. I didn't even know that I had one!
    The cake was displayed right next to our sweetheart table during our reception and all through our reception, the delicious aroma wafted past our noses. As guests came up to congratulate us, they too commented on how beautiful the cake was and how good it smelled!
    The texture of the cake was second to none. Elyse found a way to merge all of the important textures together.
    The taste...oh the taste! My mouth waters thinking about it!
    It truly embodied exactly everything we wanted. Being a bride, you LOVE the comments that everyone gives about how great your wedding was. Every person that took the time to comment on the wedding mentioned the amazing cake.
    Also, Elyse made the cake for my wedding shower, which was also delicious and was beautifully detailed. My mom took a few pieces home and froze them. A year later she defrosted it and said it was still delicious.
    Thank you Elyse!

Sent on 01/17/2013

Elyse was WONDERFUL. We met with her at her store front and did a delicious tasting. Everything we tasted was to die for, which made it so hard for us to choose! However, we went with the chocolate chip cookie cake with chocolate ganache filling and vanilla buttercream frosting. The cake was covered in fondant and had a beautiful vintage design inspired by an image Elyse found that was absolutely PERFECT for the vintage theme of our wedding. When I saw my cake for the first time, I practically jumped up and down. It was perfect. Every guest at the wedding asked me who made the cake because it was the absolute BEST cake they ever had. I was thrilled with everything, strongly recommend!

Sent on 01/17/2013

I found Joy & Cake while doing an online search for wedding cake vendors and it just so happened that it was located in the same town my husband and I live in. Elyse was wonderful. The tasting was so much fun and sooooo good! We chose a spice cake with caramel icing. It was amazing and we got so many compliments on the cake...everyone loved it and wanted more. Elyse has so many different kinds of cake, filling and icing to choose from and it is so easy to work with her. We would definitely highly recommend her for anytime you need a cake!

Sent on 01/17/2013

Joy & Cake was the perfect fit for our wedding. I wanted something simple and classic for our wedding cake. While I am not very good at conveying my ideas, Elyse understood exactly what I was looking for. The cake exceeded our expectations. Not the mention the cake itself was delicious! My wedding guests are still talking about the cake!
    Elyse was very easy to work with and flexible. She made the whole process easy and stress-free. I highly recommend Joy & Cake!

Sent on 01/19/2013

We LOVED our cake and the entire experience working with Elyse was seamless!!! We came across Joy & Cake from a referral from the Flaky Tart. Elyse and I discussed what I had in mind - something to showcase both the US and the UK. When we met in person she had done a handful of drawings. Each image was extremely creative and really captured what we were looking for. Ultimately we chose a cake with the Union Jack and American flag. I mentioned that I hoped to carry Daliahs from my parents garden and Elyse suggested recreating them for the sugar flower details. It was absolutely perfect!

The tasting was a blast. We tried so many different combinations and each one was delicious. We did it at the Joy & Cake store front so it was very relaxed. After we made our selections, Elyse coordinated with our venue and took care of everything. It was extremely easy and I did not worry about it.

At the wedding, I did not eat much but I was focused on trying the cake. It was delicious! The chocolate ganache was especially to die for and Elyse added an extra crunch which was an extra surprise. I would recommend that people use Joy & Cake to get a creative, delicious and memorable wedding cake.

Nicole · Married on 08/11/2012

As hectic as things were planning a beachside wedding and BBQ with a separate reception a month later, I can honestly say that working with Elyse was the easiest, most enjoyable part of the process. I was able to work with Elyse entirely through email, which was extremely helpful given the short amount of planning time and my busy schedule. The cake design options she provided me with were exactly what I envisioned, one better then the next. Her recommendations with the icing, fillings and cake flavors were completely on point. Everyone raved about the cake; how beautiful it was, and most importantly to my husband, how delicious it tasted. Between the time spent planning the cake design, the optional tasting, the delivery of the cake and the overall quality of the cake itself, you couldn’t ask for more reasonable prices. It was an absolute pleasure working with Elyse.

Louise · Married on 07/14/2012

This was the second wedding for both of us and we wanted it to be a stress-free and relaxed experience. As a baker and cake designer I didn't want to make my own cake because I knew it would stress me out too much. We visited a local bakery and I was very disappointed, what they offered flavor and detail wise was way below what I wanted in a wedding cake. I searched the web and found Joy and Cake. I knew Elyse was the perfect person to make our cake because anyone brave enough to list curry as a cake flavor had to know what she was doing. We had our caked tasting and selected a three tier cake, three different cake flavors, three different fillings and three different icings. Our cake was exactly how I imagined it would be decorated with hand made roses and hydrangeas. The cake was covered in French Vanilla fondant that I told Elyse about. She was great and ordered it from the supplier that I use for my cakes. EVERY crumb of the cake was eaten. Most of our guests had a slice of each layer. Everyone loved the cake and bragged about how good it was. Thank you Elyse - we will be ordering our first anniversary cake in a few months!

Sent on 02/10/2013

3.6
      3.0

Delicious and unique flavors. A little dissapointed with some details of my wedding cake and responsiveness.

Sent on 11/06/2015