John Shim Photography Reviews

41 | Knoxville, TN

41 Reviews for John Shim Photography

Danielle · Married on 10/01/2018

John was absolutely amazing at our wedding! He took every single picture we asked for and he had the perfect ideas for pictures. He really did an outstanding job and we appreciated his great work!

Susan · Married on 05/01/2017

John did an outstanding job in all regards for our daughter's wedding. He captured her day beautifully, but was almost hidden during the event....which I appreciated. Not only was he professional, he was fun and was easy to work with. The part that I was also grateful for, came after the event when the photos arrived and I had questions. John was more than willing to adjust the photos, make suggestions of printing options, and suggest where I would get the best quality photos made. All around it was a 5 star experience. He is worth every penny and you won't be disappointed!

allison · Married on 09/24/2016

John was phenomenal. I picked John based upon the quality of his previous work and I definitely made the right decision. I decided I wanted to get to know my photographer before the big day, so we first did an engagement session with John almost a whole year before the wedding. He brought along his wife (she helps him with lighting and staging shots) and they, my now husband and I traipsed around Ijams Nature preserve near Knoxville on a Friday evening and honestly had a really fun time. Beyond that -when I got the pictures back I was reassured we had made the right decision.
    The best part of John is that so many of my guests commented that he never was in their face, yet he seemed to be everywhere and that really shows in the pictures. The stills of the wedding party, my husband and I, and the decor are stunning but the best part of his work is the phenomenal candid pictures he captured of our family and friends. I just uploaded my pictures to Facebook but I'm pretty sure all of my friends are about to use these photo's for new profile pictures. He captured the fun, the joy, and the love of the night so well ......and I am truly overjoyed that I have all of these wonderful candid memories captured forever. Additionally- I like that he only provides the pictures digitally so I can order as many or as few pictures as I want rather than having a limited number you can select to have printed. Finally- John is just a nice guy and easy to work with. My dad just kept commenting how much he liked him- which is a very good sign.
    Thank you John!

Chandler · Married on 05/23/2015

John did such an incredible job on our wedding photos! He is extremely creative, easy to work with and always answered our questions. He's laid-back, flexible and very eager to help with whatever he can. On the wedding day, he was so much fun and we were thrilled to have him.

Scott · Married on 10/31/2014

John was very good . To respond and a great sport our wedding day was awesome. It rained the most of it and he still took our pics and laughed with us as me and my wife laughed and giggled the whole time thank u John!!

Krysti · Married on 10/04/2014

John was by far my favorite wedding vendor! We are from Chicago and got married in Gatlinburg, TN. Planning a destination wedding proved to be much more difficult that I thought it would be. But, I felt comfortable with John at the first conversation. He's extremely down to earth and easy to work with. He was always quick and thorough in our email conversations. When we first started talking, he had never shot a wedding in Gatlinburg before. He took it upon himself to go out there and scope out photo locations for us. He did such an amazing job. You only have one chance to capture the pictures at your wedding, and ours are FANTASTIC! We seriously couldn't be happier.

Katie · Married on 09/20/2014

John was great! He was easy to work with, prompt, flexible, and professional. The value is great because you do not need to purchase all your wedding prints through him. He supplied a few great pictures right after the wedding and we recieved the rest of the pictures in just over a month. I know couples who wait 6 months to get wedding photos back! He does a great job and has an eye for a good picture. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a wedding photographer!

Jen · Married on 06/07/2014

John was a wonderful photographer. He was extremely approachable, fun and laid back, and captured the entire day without interfering. I truly enjoyed working with him and his wife. My pictures are more than I could ask for, especially considering his unique eye for pictures that are a good spread of traditional to very unique pictures that are not cliche.

I would recommend him to any bride, especially those who want something a little more artistic and unique!

Linda · Married on 06/07/2014

John Shim is a master when it comes to beautiful photography. He catches the light, scenery and the quality of his work is excellent. My daughter looked like a princess and photos that he took could be put into a fashion wedding magazine. Promptness to the ceremony; his approach to settings; and, overall care taken with each pose was very professional, whether casual or staged. I would recommend John Shim for any occasion. He is thorough, competitively priced and the finished product is for a lifetime. We are so happy that he could accommodate our daughter's special day.

Heather · Married on 05/31/2014

John shot our May wedding. He was SO fun to work with, and he made my husband and I feel completely at ease! The photos turned out better than I could have hoped for. Working with John was a great experience!

Lauren · Married on 05/03/2014

John Shim was absolutely wonderful to work with! Not only were his photographs breathtaking but he was extremely professional and punctual. John prepared for me a minute by minute schedule of what photographs we were going to take at which times. This allowed us to seamlessly move through the day without rushing around. There was never a doubt that John and his wife Young had everything under control! I would recommend using this fabulous photographer again and again! Because of John Shim, I have gorgeous photographs to remember our big day for a lifetime to come!

crystal · Married on 04/26/2014

I searched high and low for the perfect photographer for our wedding, and after taking even a quick peek at John's website and Facebook (in addition to his work that was featured on the venue's website) I knew that John Shim just HAD to photograph our wedding.
    From our very first email, to the final moments of the night of our event, John was professional, attentive, and overall just... plain... awesome! Then I got the photos back!!! Simply, undeniably, amazing. He has a knack for catching the perfect moment, in the perfect light, and in the most unobtrusive way imaginable. He and his wife are a wonderful team, who were even able to make my camera-shy hubby comfortable.
    If you're in the market for photographer for your wedding, engagement, bridal portraits, look no further!

• Y

Yuan · Married on 04/19/2014

I was searching for photographer for our engagement and wedding photoshoot. I myself does photography as a hobby so I was a little picky. Also I didn't want our photos to be cliche like coming out of a factory line. John Shim was exactly what I was looking for. I like how his photos are story-telling, with good composition and artistic feeling as well. He certainly has photographer's eyes. We had a very small and intimate wedding and John did more than what we asked for with very nice price. Highly recommended!

John Shim is incredible! He has a gift for capturing the best moments of the day. He had a great sense of the surrounding and made us look incredible! We are very happy with our photos and will be able to cherish these pictures forever. Thanks again John.

Amanda · Married on 06/08/2013

He captured our special day beautifully with a fun splash.

Holly · Married on 05/11/2013

Love... Love... Him! He does a fantastic job!

Elizabeth · Married on 04/20/2013

John Shim is a wonderful photographer! His pictures are beautiful and he is great to work with. I could not have asked for a better photographer. He did everything that I requested and he was so much fun. He is very creative and flexible. He makes the most of every opportunity and I highly recommend him to anyone that is getting married. He and his wife will feel like part of the family by the end of your big day. I am so glad that I chose John to photograph my wedding, it was one of the best decisions that I made throughout the wedding planning process.

Caitlin · Married on 10/27/2012

John was always very helpful and provided amazing pictures at a reasonable price.

Christine · Married on 10/12/2012

When I started looking for a photographer, all I saw were ridiculous prices for very generic looking photos. Then I found John Shim Photography and was so excited. John Shim Photography did a wonderful job as my wedding photographer! I couldn't be more happy with how my photographs turned out. Beyond his photography skills, John was really easy to work with. He was very responsive to any questions or concerns I had, especially since my wedding wasn't in Knoxville. He arrived on time and didn't leave until the party was over and made sure I got all the photos I requested. I would highly recommend him to anyone who's looking for a skilled photographer with a unique style.

Serena · Married on 10/07/2012

John and Michelle did a fantastic job at our wedding! John was extremely professional and responsive through email, and made the effort to get to know us a little before the wedding to help with the shooting. He was very agreeable and flexible, and contributed his own photo ideas while entertaining ours. I'm the least photogenic person ever (my eyes are always closed, or mid-blink, or mid-talk in pictures), but John managed to get some really good pictures of us anyway! We chose him because he had so many creative and funky shots in his portfolio (and was the only one within our budget whose work looked so cool), and we were not disappointed. There was a nice mix of traditional pretty shots, unusual angle shots, candid shots, etc. John was very organized and sent us a shooting schedule before the wedding and tried hard to stick to it the day of, which was helpful to us. Also, and very importantly for us, he didn't hold our prints hostage like some photographers do - you get digital copies of all the photos in high resolution. John and Michelle were both really nice and a pleasure to work with - I'd highly recommend them to anyone for their wedding!

Jamison · Married on 09/16/2012

There is really nothing I can say but Wow!!! The price was very reasonable and he was willing to work around our crazy pre-wedding schedule. The photo's turned out great and now adorn our new apartment. Everyone that visits comments how great the photo's turned out. We are very happy and would recommend this photographer to anyone. Has a real eye for detail and a very artistic touch that really makes the photo's look very professional.

Paula · Married on 09/02/2012

John provided an exceptional experience & exceeded my expectations! He photographed our wedding day from start to finish & he actually captured the moments as they were happening - no re-takes or cheesy poses!! He made the day about us without question & even got in the middle of some pretty crazy dance floor action to make sure the perfect pics were captured! John will go above and beyond to ensure he captures the most amazing engagement, bridal & wedding photos!

John did a fantastic job on our wedding and engagement photos. Highly recommend him. He's not the kind of photographer that will get in the way of the ceremony or tell you how to do things. He's flexible with whatever you want and does a great job of capturing the moments before, during, and after the wedding. We couldn't have been happier. Also, he does very quick service in getting your pictures back to you after the big day... not months later like most other photographers. Hire this guy!

Sarah · Married on 06/30/2012

John was amazing!!! Our wedding was an outdoor ceremony on the hottest day recorded in Knoxville and he was a total trooper. We ended up with about 850 amazing edited photos! He was so flexible on the day and was very thoughtful of us and being out in the temperatures. He was also extremely flexible on his price and was very willing to work within our budget!

• Beth

Beth · Married on 05/19/2012

Carson and I loved working with John. We love the engagement and wedding pictures we have. John was a joy to have around, and he was so flexible to fit with both of our schedules. I would recommend John Shim Photography without hesitation.