[JG] Judy + Gavin Reviews

79 Reviews for [JG] Judy + Gavin

1 User photo

[JG] Judy + Gavin 1

Juli · Married on 07/05/2013

We fell in love with Judy and Gavin from our very first meeting - and found so much to talk with them about that we almost missed our next appointment! Not only is their online gallery one of the best we've seen, but they are the most fun, professional and creative couple that we have ever worked with. We were so impressed with their work that we hired them for 2 engagement sessions (one at Disneyland and one in Downtown LA), our wedding photography and wedding videography. At every photography session, we could tell how passionate and excited they are about their work - always wanting to get one last shot in the perfect location with the perfect lighting. While many photographers have a strict hourly limit to their engagement or wedding packages, Judy & Gavin basically shot until they felt they had captured everything we could possibly want. After their scheduled ending time at the wedding had passed, they noticed that people were still dancing and unpacked their equipment to make sure they got everything captured from our big day. Being a married couple, Judy and Gavin work together seamlessly - backing each other up, giving each other ideas, and feeding off of each other's creative energy. On the day of the wedding, they also brought 2 assistants so that they could move around quickly and cover important moments from multiple angles. We absolutely love our finished product - and so do all of our friends and family that we show our photos and wedding video to. They gave us all of the high resolution touched up photos and raw video (as well as an edited 6 minute video) so we can print the photos wherever we want to. Some photographers require you to order prints through them or have them edit your wedding album - and while Judy and Gavin offer that at a competitive rate, they also let you do it on your own. We absolutely plan to keep in touch with Judy & Gavin, and hope to hire them again someday when we want family portraits or other important moments captured.

Sent on 10/12/2013

Kristen · Married on 06/30/2013

Judy and Gavin went above and beyond on our wedding day. They arrived on time, in professional attire, and with two assistants. My husband and I did not have "first look" pictures, which meant that bridal party pictures took place before the wedding and during cocktail hour, and couples pictures took place after reception. Judy and Gavin were certainly willing to accommodate our schedule and kept everyone on schedule with ease.
    After the reception, Judy and Gavin spent another 1.5 hours with my husband and I taking couples pictures. We had several different backdrops -- the library in our hotel, the harbor, the jetty... If anything my husband and I were done and ready to wrap up before Judy and Gavin were. They were definitely invested in making sure we'd have hundreds of photos that we would cherish forever.
    In addition to their incredible talent, Judy (especially) was a life saver during our wedding in terms of planning and coordinating. We in no way expected her to double as a wedding coordinator, but when our day-of-venue-appointed coordinator proved to be pretty much worthless, Judy stepped right in. She made sure the major events (bouquet toss, exit, etc.) happened on time. She seemed very comfortable taking the reins and did not hesitate to get people moving, which is important when you're on a tight wedding timeline.
    Gavin took video for the wedding, which turned out beautifully. If you are contemplating whether to add videography to your wedding package, I strongly suggest you do. You will want a wedding video to remind you of the day and to see things that you missed. Judy and Gavin sent us 75 gigs of wedding footage (in addition to our 6 minute edited video short) after the wedding (we sent them the external hard drive on which to store). Video and audio quality was superb.
    Overall, hiring Gavin and Judy was one of the best decisions my husband and I made for our wedding day. I highly recommend Judy and Gavin photography for your important event.

Sent on 11/11/2013

Clarissa · Married on 03/30/2013

Judy and Gavin did an exceptional job for our engagement photos, wedding photos and video. We could not have asked for someone more professional, friendly, funny, or knowledgeable. Photos were one of our highest priorities when we were planning our wedding. Our wedding was at the Aquarium of the Pacific (with all the glass tanks and low lighting, we knew it would not be an easy place to take pictures). We came across Judy and Gavin’s work by doing an image search for Aquarium Weddings. Their vivid photos stood out from all the rest and we just knew we had to have them as our photographers! Admittedly, we probably would not have decided on an Aquarium wedding otherwise. Judy and Gavin was the first vendor we secured. They gave us so many wedding-planning tips and were extremely insightful. They were extremely responsive and organized. They kept in contact throughout our planning and made sure we had everything we needed. During the wedding, they were punctual and well prepared (they made sure they had our wedding timeline way ahead of time). They were very courteous and friendly and easily maneuvered everyone into place for family portraits. They were efficient, but also paid close attention to the small details (such as hand placement, etc). Additionally, they managed to lighten the atmosphere with their great sense of humor. All the pictures and video came out better than we could have imagined! They were worth every penny, and more. We are so grateful to have such amazing memories that we can revisit over and over again.

Sent on 09/17/2013

Eileen · Married on 02/23/2013

Judy and Gavin are an awesome team. They did our engagement and wedding pictures, and provided videography for the wedding. I found Judy and Gavin when I was searching for wedding venues. I came across a wedding JG had shot at Vibiana in DTLA and I fell in love with them and with Vibiana. We ended up booking Vibiana within 2 weeks of seeing JG's pictures there. I looked through Judy's blog and compared her work and price to other photographers. We met them for the first time and I loved how friendly Judy and Gavin were, and how easy it was to talk to them. Not only are they great professionals, they are really just down to earth people. This made me feel so at ease while we were taking our engagement pictures. Its not everyday you have a photographer taking your picture in public and with Gavin holding a big light pointed at you! They really made my husband and I feel comfortable and helped us feel at ease with all the poses and types of shots we would be taking. By the time the wedding came, Judy and Gavin felt like old friends who just so happen were following us around with cameras. They are creative, passionate, and innovative.

Sent on 07/08/2013

Nick · Married on 01/05/2013

We were very happy with Judy. She was always professional, punctual, and 100% ready for our shooting locations. The only time I noticed her sitting down during the wedding was to grab a quick bite to eat. Many or our bridal party guest's noticed how good she was with directing people and getting all the shots in as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Overall, Judy was our favorite vendor we worked with, and I would recommend her to everyone.

Sent on 02/27/2013

j · Married on 10/27/2012

Having great pictures of our wedding was really important to us. I went on a long search to find a photographer and videographer that would capture all the big AND little details of our day. I wanted some formal family pictures of course, but also random shots of people having a good time or capturing a funny moment. And I wanted a video that was a cute, short montage of our day. I am so happy we found Judy and Gavin! Since they are a couple, they worked really well together to coordinate shots and videos. I had some ideas of what I wanted which they incorporated into the final products. They also used their own expertise to get some fantastic shots of the evening and of us. They are real professionals with an artistic eye. Our pictures and videos came out so beautiful and unique. We have a variety of shots...vintage, modern, black and white. Too many great ones to choose from!!! Not the standard boring wedding pics and video. They exceeded our expectations in every way. The entire experience was a pleasure - they were fun and easy to work with. Book them early!!!

Sent on 02/15/2013
  • Renee

Renee · Married on 10/06/2012

Judy & Gavin are truly an amazing pair! They were professional, punctual, and lots of fun at the same time. They made us feel more like friends than just their clients. They made sure we got what we wanted and were comfortable with it. Judy and Gavin organized and coordinated everything for us so we had nothing to stress or worry about. On the day of our wedding Judy even ran around directing everyone to make sure we got all the shots that we wanted and that they were taken as quickly and as efficiently which made a big difference. We couldn't have ask for a better photographer and videographer. All the photos they have taken for us were just breath-taking and truly amazing. Even the short film of our wedding day was beyond our expectation. So many of our friends have said it is the most professional and beautiful video they have seen. They exceeded our expectations in every way. It was all exactly what we wanted and we couldn't be happier having Judy and Gavin capture our wedding day.

It is truly important to have the best and most amazing pictures/viedo for your wedding day because it is one of the biggest days of your life and you want to capture every moment. Judy and Gavin will definitley do that for you :)

Thank you so much Judy and Gavin for sharing with us your amazing talents and creativity!

Sent on 04/10/2013

Natee · Married on 09/15/2012

Judy & Gavin Photography made our wedding day memorable by providing excellent and high-quality photos for us to share with our loved ones.

Judy's quality of service goes beyond expectation and shows a complete passion and dedication of her work. Although it was a very hot day on our wedding (in the middle of September), she wanted to ensure that the photos will be breath-taking; the photos are amazing!

In addition, we also did a post-engagement session along the beach that was completely stunning via photos and location. Judy along with Gavin have a real eye for photography and location scouting for the best possible shots we could ever dream of.

For the price you pay and the professionalism that is involved, we could have not asked for a better photographer. If we plan any other special events, she will be the first one we contact! Judy and Gavin are great to work with, fun, and most of all very comfortable with each other and the clients that are on the shoot with them!

Highly recommended!

Sent on 12/13/2012
  • Joanna

Joanna · Married on 09/14/2012

Judy was the first photographer we scheduled an appointment with. She met with us at a coffee shop and thoroughly and thoroughly went through her portfolio and was more than able to prove herself as a professional wedding photographer. My husband and I told her we would call her back once we decided. We pretty much walked to the car and agreed we would call her back that night- it took about five minutes to decide! We were very impressed and excited to have someone young, with creativity, edge and humor take photos of us.

Judy and Gavin are a great team to work with. They are both so talented and dedicated. The most important thing to any future bride is know your photographer! Other than your maid-of-honor, that person will play a huge role on your special day. My husband and I were very fortunate to find Judy and Gavin. It felt like I had hired my friend to capture the most important day of my life. The level of detail in our photos is what every bride and groom is looking for. Judy knew we were on a time schedule the entire day and made sure everyone hustled through the day to keep us on track. She was very responsive if we had any questions prior to wedding and even after the wedding. I asked her to send me a few photos in advance for thank you cards and Christmas cards, she made it happen.

We have received so many compliments on our photos- you have NO IDEA! We have so many friends who have recently gone through the same process, I still think we hired the best photographer in our area! We wanted them to stand out and feel original. Judy's experience gave us exactly what we were looking for. Now, we have fun, beautiful photos to place on our walls at home and a clear presentation of our wedding.
    We spent so much time putting our wedding together and in the end our photos is pretty much all you have left of it. Thank you Judy and Gavin! We will definitely hunt those two down to capture our future family portraits!

Adrian & Joanna

Sent on 12/26/2012

I can't begin to explain how happy my husband and I are to have chosen Judy and Gavin as our wedding photographer and videographer! We had meetings with a couple of photographers but Judy and Gavin stood out from the rest! Every person who has seen our pictures say they could be in a magazine and, thanks to Judy, our engagement pictures were featured in a national magazine!! They are very professional, responsive and reliable. They keep you informed and are only an email or phone call away! Never had a problem getting a hold of them or to ask a question.
    Look no further if you want the best!!

Sent on 02/12/2013

Cindy · Married on 09/02/2012

If you’re looking for talented, amazing wedding photographers, then look no further. A cousin provided a list of photographers to reach out to and when I checked out Judy & Gavin’s blog, I instantly knew I wanted to set up time to meet with them. I love the creativity and uniqueness in their photographs and their use of vivid colors. Mind you, my husband and I wanted to work with photographers that had the same artistic vision that we had, that we can get along with and more importantly, made us feel comfortable. Little did I know that when my husband and I met up with Judy and Gavin, the four of us would connect instantly. Judy was also very thoughtful and asked details of our wedding so she can make suggestions.

Fast forward a few months later, Judy and I discussed ideas for our engagement session. I love how she wanted to incorporate essences of both myself and my husband so that our session would be more personal for us. We literally spent the entire day together taking pictures and enjoying being engaged while Judy and Gavin focused on us. They were even open to trying out the ideas that I wanted to incorporate (I wanted to use sparklers in our pictures). I was so impressed and happy with how the pictures came out.

The video that Gavin put together highlighted all the special moments from our day. The photos taken by the team were absolutely amazing. We have received so many compliments for the pictures and videos, many of whom even asked about the photography services for themselves.

Booking Judy & Gavin Photography as our wedding photographers was the best decision we made for our wedding. They were so easy to work with, punctual, professional and just so good at their job. They truly captured all the moments from the day that we can share and reminisce with family and friends, now and in the future. It’s also wonderful to say that I now consider Judy and Gavin our friends.

Sent on 01/04/2013

Nina · Married on 08/24/2012

My ONLY regret is that I did not find Judy sooner and hire her to do my wedding pictures as well. I found Judy's website on a whim one day, deciding last minute that I wanted to do engagement pictures. She always responded to my e-mails or phone calls quickly, was patient, professional, and offered great tips.
    On the day of the photo shoot, she was very friendly and approachable. She gave us the direction we needed to pose for/take great shots. Her husband Gavin was also there to help out. They made us laugh and feel very at ease. Judy would take pictures until she was satisfied that everything turned out great--there was no time limit for us.
    The CD came as promised within 7 days of shooting the engagement pictures! The CD had "print ready" pictures which she edited and included all the originals as well--so I could pick and choose which shots I wanted to develop. The front of the CD even had a beautiful picture and title!
    The pictures speak for themselves. All of my friends and family gave us so many compliments that I regret not hiring for my wedding (I already made a contract with a different vendor).
    I highly recommend her and will be hiring her for other services soon!

Sent on 03/24/2012

Marc · Married on 08/12/2012

I could have written a novel here regarding all the positive aspects about Judy & Gavin Photography, but I'll keep it short and sweet. I was the groom in my wedding and I've never been fond of taking photos for any reason. If you're looking to make uniquely beautiful photo memories, that is exactly what you get with their service. They come up with the best background locations and lighting ideas I've ever seen or experienced. They turn what could be an average photo shoot into something extraordinary with breath-taking and exciting results. The positive feedback we received from our engagement photos as well as our wedding photos was simply incredible. Coming across them was a complete blessing. They create the best and most creative photo memories ever! To sum it all up in one word, I'd have to go with "Amazing". You'd be doing your occasion a huge favor by letting this team take care your photography/video needs. Highly recommended! ^_^

Sent on 09/28/2012

Jasmine · Married on 08/12/2012

Judy and Gavin are AMAZING photographers! Our engagement and wedding pictures were phenomenal! I almost cried looking at our wedding pictures for the first time because every moment was captured so beautifully. My husband and I had so much fun working with them. They're an awesome team, and I can' wait to work with them again.

Sent on 09/30/2012

My wife and I are extremely happy with Judy and Gavin. Their quality of their products is beyond anything that we have ever seen. This is evident from the pictures that they have on their site. In addition, they are very fun to work with - they are very personable and really take the time to get to know you and address any questions you may have. They are very innovative and adaptable to different environments. Night time pictures are amazing with these guys! You won't regret hiring them. In fact, we believe Judy & Gavin were the best vendor out of all the ones in our wedding. Good job Judy & Gavin and thanks again!!!

Sent on 08/13/2012

Even though you can't view any of our pictures online (we bought the rights), I am very happy to leave this review. We had a very large wedding party, 30+ and a guest list of 500+. The ceremony was outdoors and the reception was in.

Judy and Gavin coordinated, orchestrated, organized everyone effortlessly. The pictures are amazing . . . creative, funny, elegant, artistic, simply breath taking!!! YES, I highly recommend this skilled team!

Sent on 09/03/2012

Sarah · Married on 06/24/2012

Judy and Gavin are a wonderful couple who take fantastic pictures! If you are looking for a bit more artistic feel for your photos, they are the right vendor for you. They also actually care about their clients and really strive to make your wedding special and easy on you. In my experience with planning a wedding, you will definitely come across people who just want your money and you simply get lost in all the other wedding couples. With Judy and Gavin, I did not feel this way, they were awesome at making us feel important to them. I have nothing poor to say about the two of them. Thank you Judy and Gavin!

Sent on 07/09/2012
  • Connie

Connie · Married on 05/27/2012

I turned to social media (facebook) when I was first engaged and asked if anyone knew any wedding photographers. A friend recommended Judy Tran because she knew Judy through Miss Los Angeles Chinatown. I visited Judy's website and FELL IN LOVE with her pictures. I inquired about pricing, availability and she was awesome. She was professional, prompt and after looking at her work, booked her without any hesitation. My husband and I saw that Gavin Holt (her husband) was doing videography so we checked out his work and also FELL IN LOVE again! What better than to have a husband/wife combo work on photography and videography?

Engagement session- We decided to do the beach type of picture so we headed down to Laguna area where we hung out, took pictures and eventually ended up at an all you can eat korean bbq joint :) Its great to get to know the couple because after all, they are shooting on one of the most important days of your life!!! Judy and Gavin were awesome and our pictures came out AMAZING. A good friend of mine really wanted to book Judy after seeing my engagement photos but they weren't available at the time.

Wedding Day- Judy/Gavin/Steven came to the pacific palms where I was recently married! I haven't seen ALL the pictures yet BUT from the ones I have seen.... I LOVED !!!! Judy was so great, she was able to put some up on her laptop and played a quick slideshow at the wedding so my guests could check out some of the pictures.

I think Judy/Gavin photography have been amazing. They are a wonderful couple who work well together, help one another and see things through lenses that I could never see. Their pictures are like magical... seriously like art. Talented, Friendly, easy to work with. What better combo for the most important day?

Thank you guys!!!!!

Sent on 05/16/2012

Michele · Married on 05/26/2012

I would highly recommend Judy and/or Gavin Tran to anyone looking for a photographer for any event. They are both hard working and dedicated to their time with you.

Their pictures are AMAZING! They creatively use their surroundings, the lighting, and poses to produce a one-of-a-kind, editorial picture. And the best part is that you own the digital files of the hundreds of pictures they take. You don't have to purchase each individual picture or pay for a book which saves you money in the long run.

Not only are they amazing photographers, they are also good people. There is no ego in either one of them, just down-to earth, friendly, caring people.

Sent on 06/02/2012

Lauren · Married on 05/19/2012

We originally found Gavin through internet research to shoot out Save the Date Video (http://vimeo.com/26864335) and he did such an amazing job!!! We were thrilled to find out he and his wife Judy also did amazing photography; it was a no brainer to hire them to do photo/videography for our big day!
    We already had a blast getting to know Gavin for our video session, then fell in love with Judy during our engagement session! They have the perfect combo of joking around and being a fun couple combined with reining it in and being professional when need be. This made us verrry comfortable around them, and made for less awkward moments when you have to pose and smile for hours!!
    Judy and Gavin also took a weekend out of their busy lives to travel 6 hours away for our destination wedding - talk about flexibility! They really knew how to wrangle our wedding party and stay on schedule, listen to ideas and suggestions, while also being firm on the way they do things - after all; they are the professionals!
    We received a "day of" slide show to play during our reception and the photos are truly unreal. They did such an excellent job of capturing all the special moments, while also making sure to get the funny shots of our guests acting...crazy. They have a great eye, and had us pose around things you would never think of and the picutres turned out beautiful. We were also very impressed with all of their equipment - you name it, they have it, and it will make your videos and photos fabulous.
    We love Gavin and Judy, and cant wait for them to shoot our family photos - ha!

Sent on 06/02/2012

Meghan · Married on 04/20/2012

Judy and Gavin are the absolute best!
    We originally hired Judy + 1 to photograph our April 20th wedding. A few months prior to the big day we decided to add videography to our package and Gavin was added to shoot/video our big day as well.
    Upon meeting with Judy and Gavin for our engagement session, my fiance (now husband) and I knew instantly that we were going to have a great time and were in the best of hands. The two of them are professional, fun, and extremely talented! The photos that they took at the engagement session turned out amazing - and those we've seen from our wedding so far make the day seem even more magical.
    We would highly recommend both Judy and Gavin to anyone seeking photographic/video needs :)

Sent on 05/02/2012

Angelic · Married on 03/25/2012

Future brides, I would definitely highly recommend Judy and Gavin for your engagement and wedding day photo and video needs! Just go to their website at www.judyandgavin.com and visit their blog at www.judytran.com to look at samples of their work product and you will be sold! I had the pleasure of meeting Gavin at another function and shot with him prior to my engagement/wedding. Gavin is amazing at capturing candids. Judy is great with coaching and capturing details. Together they make the perfect team. Plus they are super fun to shoot with. I got the photo and video package, which included an engagement session. I love that we had so much flexibility with all of the logistics - the shoot can be as simple or as creative as you want. It poured cats and dogs on our wedding day, and Gavin and Judy stayed until the very end of the night just so we could get some outdoor shots since we couldn't get any earlier. I already saw a few of my wedding day photos and can't wait to see more!

Sent on 04/01/2012

Hannah · Married on 02/25/2012

We just can not get enough of Judy & Gavin! They did our engagement shoot and our full wedding day, which included a photo shoot afterwards. And now after seeing our beautiful pictures, we also want them to design our photo album. I'm sure when we have children, we will call them also to take our family portraits! We cannot say enough good things about them. They are a superb team and they are very skilled in their photography and lighting. They certainly have an eye for the "perfect shot". My husband and I had a great time getting to know them. They are personable and friendly. I also loved how they were good at directing large crowds when we took our family pictures on the day of our wedding. (One less thing to worry about when we were running short on time!) After having worked with them, my husband and I have complete trust in them to do a wonderful job capturing special moments. Judy & Gavin are photographers you definitely have to check out!! We're so glad we did!

Sent on 03/29/2012

Sasha · Married on 11/12/2011

We did the Photography/Videography Package with Judy as the photographer and her husband, Gavin, as the videographer. Judy and Gavin exceeded our expectations and our wildest dreams of how our wedding would be captured. From the moment I first talked to Judy over the telephone before I had even met her, I knew I wanted Judy as my wedding photographer; however, I had to convince my husband she would be the best wedding photographer for us. When we met Judy in person, my husband and I were blown away by her passion, honesty, and experience and instantly knew we had to have Judy as our photographer. Her portfolio is amazing, and her knowledge of the profession is endless.

Judy and Gavin were a pleasure to work with and were our favorite wedding vendors by far. They were very professional while managing to connect with us, which allowed us to become comfortable in front of the camera very quickly. Our engagement session went flawlessly spanding several locations and styles. On the wedding day, we were "blessed" with a downpour, which changed several of our wedding plans. Judy and Gavin took the rain in stride, and managed to locate a beautiful location for our first look session. We then proceded to start our couples session on the beach as the rain continued. Judy and Gavin got soaked taking our favorite wedding pictures of us under an umbrella standing on the beach with the raindrops highlighted (absolutely GORGEOUS!). Unfortunately, our couples session was cut short due to the downpour, but Judy and Gavin saved the day when they offered to do another couples session after the wedding at NO additional cost!

Due to the unexpected rain (who expects rain in San Diego), several aspects of the wedding ceremony and reception had to be rearranged. Judy's vast experience with weddings gave her the insight to help us make quick on the spot decisions of how to make things go smoothly on one of the most important days of our lives.

Despite the rain and the packed venue, Judy and Gavin captured all of the unforgetable memories from our wedding day. And after the wedding, they again exceeded our expectations with our second couples session. Everyone who has seen our wedding pictures has been just as blown away as we have been. We recommend Judy and Gavin to everyone we know who is getting married and we plan to use them in the future for family sessions and any other excuse we can think of!

Sent on 06/09/2012

Ben · Married on 11/11/2011

I randomly found Gavin and Judy on some random website with many many photographers. As a photographer myself, I knew what was gimmick and what was legitimate photography, and the samples that I saw grabbed me. After meeting him and seeing more of his current work, I booked him right away. Unfortunately, because of financial restraints, I was unable to book both of them, but Gavin still delivered. His service, personality, and warmness combined with his photographic vision (a unique blend of art, composition, and technical factors drawing from a broad experience base) was nothing short of spectacular. The only thing I would have changed, if I could, would be to pick up Judy as well!

Sent on 02/08/2012